Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    My day: Bad night sleep, woke up with headache. Panadol. Dealt with tantrum child for about an hour. Managed to get myself to the gym for new training program - holy crap, hard work. Not sure if can lift arms anymore. Home to bake, clean, do washing, iron and get dinner on. Called out for birth. Home at midnight.

Ugh. Yay for babies but boo to being on a day when I was thinking about bed time from the moment I got up. And now gotta be in work for 7am. Yuk. Supposed to be DL day tomorrow too :/
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    @jo_marnes here's hoping you can get some rest.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday, everyone!

Jo - tough day, hope today is going better and you got some rest!

Stephie - cute baby! Love the striped pants! Enviable squat.

Supermel - don't know much about cutting and bulking except that one ought to be at a pretty low body fat % to bulk. Ways a way off for me right now.

Samntha - interesting about the "super day". I'm doing something similar right now...recommended on the Eat, Train, Progress group, a 2 week "diet break" where I eat at estimated maintenance. Supposed to help mentally and to sort of reset hormones (leptin, etc.) I'm trying to still eat healthily, not just junk and crap like I ate when I gained weight. I'm still figuring out how to plan my day so that I eat enough but not too much. It should be interesting. I'm sitting at around 142 ish, so hoping after these 2 weeks to make a push for the 130s. So far 3 days in I haven't gained, so I guess that's good!

Dawn - miss your updates and hope everything is ok!

Kimi - glad your weekend was fun, and awesome that you are looking forward to getting back to normal eating!

My husband worked all weekend, so was sort of a lazy weekend entertaining the kids and catching up on housework.

Saturday I did Strong, Stage 7, Workout B
    Suspended pike - sort of figured these out, but can't get anywhere near as high as the model in the picture.
    OHP - 5x5, forget what weights I used. Think I topped out at 40 lbs, so not quite the standard olympic bar yet
    Reverse lunge - 2x10@60 lbs
    Chin ups - tried the next size band, 75 lbs assist, was able to do 2 sets of 3. Making progress!
    Squat - 2x10@60 lbs
    DB row - 2x10@30 lbs

Yesterday I did a nice slow 4.6 mile run in the light rain.

Today is a rest day. Tomorrow will probably attempt deadlift day again, but maybe start at a light weight.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Jo & Aigre - I envy her squat too. She has the perfect "knees out" as well.

Aigre - a "nice slow 4.6 mile run" would have taken me about 3 hours with many breaks. Good job!

Dawn - I miss your updates too, I hope you get settled into a new gym soon so we can all admire your lifting once again

Jo - hope you got some sleep

Apologies to others, if I press on the other page to check up on everyone else I will lose what I've just written and I'm lazy :)

Gym today:

Squats: 5x5 @ 62.5kg - holy **** I made some very strange noises during these, but I did it. So it's 65 for me next time. ARGH

OHP: 3x5, 3, 3 @ 30kg - so I went back down to 30kg and couldn't get them all. I guess it was a weak day. I'll try again next time

Deadlift 5 x 1 @ 80kg WOOOHOOOO best ever deadlift. Next time I will be above bodyweight too - I'M EXCITED

Have a good day!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    Today, I lift!
  • samntha14
    Options
    @AigreDoux yes, it's pretty much the same idea as a diet break.
    @StephieWillcox Nice numbers.
    @Beeps2011 Git 'er done

Just hanging with the kids today. My youngest's first day of summer school. After he got home, we hit the park and are now enjoying our free slurpys. The sugar-free small is only 21cals.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    samntha14 wrote: »
    we hit the park and are now enjoying our free slurpys. The sugar-free small is only 21cals.

...that is pretty decent!

I tried a "black cherry KICKSTART" on the weekend. It is a "mountain dew" product...only 80 calories and it has caffeine! So, I was kind of stoked about that!!

Meanwhile, today I am DE-carbing. In THE biggest way. I just want ZERO carbs (okay, fruit and veggie I WILL eat, I mean ALL the rest of 'em...) for the next 3 days...but am already fighting carb-cravings like crazy.

And, I have to eat NOTHING after suppers....ACHILLES HEEL is just right there. I am prepared to cry, and cry, and cry rather than eat one single thing. I am mentally preparing for that struggle. WISH ME WELL!
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    So, my 4 days away resulted in about 3lbs on, bf% increased by 2% and water decreased by a similar amount. I knew that I was off kilter but it is quite scary to think how quickly it bounces one way or another. Still, I enjoyed the grand prix weekend so I'm not complaining.

Back to it today - I've got a few social things coming up so on days inbetween I need to be right on it. I went to the gym this morning before work for bodycombat, and have a smoothie for my breakfast. I batch cooked my lunches when I got home last night so I don't have any excuses there.

Last week I felt brilliant....loads of lovely comments about how much weight I had lost and how nice I looked- this week I feel fat. hmmph.

On a brighter note, a friend came and stayed with us a few weeks ago and made comment about my shoulder definition.....(I hadn't seen her since I started lifting). She runs, so is no stranger to exercise but is skinnyfat. Last week, inspired by said shoulders, she started stronglifts. I'll take that as a compliment thank you very much!

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring that Kimiuzzell? I don't think that those measurements sound at all accurate! And my weight will vary by 6-8lbs in a month dependent on my cycle. Don't sweat it, it'll be right in a couple of days.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Stephie - oh, slow really is slow! I think I average about 11:30/mile. Awesome job on the squats and deadlifts! You are making me want to try Stronglifts :)

Beeps - good luck with the diet! Baby steps, though!

Kimi - I agree with Jo_Marnes. I doubt you gained 2% body fat in 4 days. I don't know how much you weigh so I'll use my numbers. At 142 lbs, 30% body fat, is 42.6 lbs of fat. So to get to 32% I'd be carrying 45.4 lbs of fat, gaining 2.8 lbs of fat in 4 days. That would be an extra 2190 calories OVER maintenance, so somewhere in the range of 4000 calories a day. And that's working under the assumption that you would put on zero muscle which would not really be physiologically true. My bet is water and glycogen.

Anyway, did Strong Stage 7, Workout C, #2 today
    Standing rotation press+overhead raise - 2x8 each side with resistance band
    Deadlift - really took it easy on these, concentrating on form. 5x83, 5x88, 5x94, 5x99, 5x105. Not nearly RPE9, but back felt fine. Posted another video on Eat, Train, Progress, please check it out and see if I'm doing anything drastically wrong. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac so now these really scare me.
    Bench press - used dumbbells as too lazy to change the bar. 2x10@25 lbs each hand
    Lat pulldown - using resistance bands, 1x10@50 lbs, 1x10@60 lbs
    Step ups - 1x10@10 lbs, 1x10@12 lbs, 18 inch bench (about knee height). Felt so much easier than the last time I did these in Stage 4, so I must be getting stronger!
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Aigre - FWIW I just watched your deadlift video and it looks good. I'm not really up to speed on deadlift form though so hopefully SideSteel will be along shortly with any tips he has :)

Beeps - I wish you well!
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Haven't written in a while, sometimes it's hard to keep up with a group so I think that I will just stay with two from now on. I am switching from 5x5 to Arnolds Blueprint for cutting. I have only done it for one week so far and though my weight for each exercise is now much lower than what I was doing on the 5x5, it's still kicking my butt because now I am doing about 10-12 sets and 10 reps. It's been hard to finish in the hour I have at the gym so I may just tweak it a little and do it for the rest of the summer.

Today is leg day.. the 5x5 wasn't so bad.. but this one is about 80 squats total... I slept well so I think I am ready, lol!
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sam, Jo and Dawn - thanks! That actually helps me understand cutting/bulking a little more than I did. I will check out Eat to Perform today if I get a chance.

Kimi - I'm with the others. Those measurements sound a bit off. Gaining 2% body fat in a few days?? I don't know about that. Looks like Aigre has the maths, tho!

Started Stage 3 of NROLFW on Monday. Definitely sore today haha!
    1-armed dumbbell snatch - 3@15lbsx6. This a wierd move...
    Db SL RDL - 1@25lbsx6, 2@50lbsx6
    Barbell Bent over row - 1@65lbsx6, 2@75lbsx6
    DB 1-arm overhead squat - 3@25lbsx6. this one is also weird...
    DB inc. bp (accidentally did regular incline bench press instead) - 1@75lbsx6, 2@65lbsx6
    Plank - 3@90sec - did elbow planks. Holy cats! Had to drop to my knees halfway through on each one, My abs were SCREAMING by the time I finished.
    Reverse wood chop - forgot to record but I think I did 2@20lbsx10
    Body weight matrix - didn't do this because I walked for 10 minutes as a warm up before I started the main stuff.

Back on the nutrition wagon today. Started logging again to keep myself on track. I'll have to use a calculator to figure out where I need to be to cut. Up to this point I had been trying to eat maintenance, falling short some days, and exceeding slightly on others.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I know I shouldn't sweat it. I need to have faith in myself and the programme. :)
  • samntha14
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »

Kimi - I agree with Jo_Marnes. I doubt you gained 2% body fat in 4 days. I don't know how much you weigh so I'll use my numbers. At 142 lbs, 30% body fat, is 42.6 lbs of fat. So to get to 32% I'd be carrying 45.4 lbs of fat, gaining 2.8 lbs of fat in 4 days. That would be an extra 2190 calories OVER maintenance, so somewhere in the range of 4000 calories a day. And that's working under the assumption that you would put on zero muscle which would not really be physiologically true. My bet is water and glycogen.

Anyway, did Strong Stage 7, Workout C, #2 today
    Standing rotation press+overhead raise - 2x8 each side with resistance band
    Deadlift - really took it easy on these, concentrating on form. 5x83, 5x88, 5x94, 5x99, 5x105. Not nearly RPE9, but back felt fine. Posted another video on Eat, Train, Progress, please check it out and see if I'm doing anything drastically wrong. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac so now these really scare me.
    Bench press - used dumbbells as too lazy to change the bar. 2x10@25 lbs each hand
    Lat pulldown - using resistance bands, 1x10@50 lbs, 1x10@60 lbs
    Step ups - 1x10@10 lbs, 1x10@12 lbs, 18 inch bench (about knee height). Felt so much easier than the last time I did these in Stage 4, so I must be getting stronger!

@AigreDoux I have to agree. I"m measuring BF with my cheesy scale. If my weight goes up at all from water retention, my BF goes up? Yeah, I think not. It's water, we know it water. The BF calculator o things like scales use more of an algorithm than an actual measurement. DEXA is the only thing that's accurate, the scales and calipers and such are more of an estimate.

Also, great numbers. What were you using for your lunges? That's some serious weight. Lunges are my kryptonite. I was doing split squats today and damn near set off my asthma. It's always like that.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Got to the gym today for Stage 1 WO B1. Those Split Squats KILL me!
    Side Plank 2x30sec
    Half-kneel cable row 10x17.5, 10x19
    SL RDL 3x12@ 20dbs
    Push up (Military) 3x12
    Split Squat 3x12@ 20dbs
    Inverted Row (Shoulders on Smith) 3x12 (I wish there was a way to measure my actual angle)

AND walking: The 9yo wants to play Pokemon Go, so we went. I couldn't get it work and it was driving me crazy. I was yelling at my cousin on the phone, "I standing right on it and it's not on my screen."

Happy Lifting ladies.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Lifted today. This was a repeat of the ("Strong", Phase 1) workout I did last Tuesday. Here is what I improved on:

1. held my planks for 45 seconds - pretty good since my ab-surgery-recovery is only 3 weeks. Will aim to get to 60 seconds for next week.
    2. lateral raises - 12.5 DBs
    3. still only did bodyweight squats, but did 3 x 10, instead of 2 x 12 I did last week.
    4. Upped my Amer DL's by 20 lbs. Still felt pretty easy, so might go up another 20 lbs next week.
    5. still only did bodyweight step-ups, but did 3 x 8, instead of the 3 x 6 I did last week.

Cannot recall what else I improved on. Did some donkey-kicks to keep limber. And some clam shells. And a nice, full-body stretch at the end.

I am nicely sore all over....definitely DOMs, but not debilitating DOMs. So, it is good.

Tomorrow I am at the office all day. No workout. Thursday, I repeat the STRONG workout I did yesterday (Monday), so will see what I can improve upon there.

BOOM!

Also, GEEZ the scale is going THE WRONG WAY. :( I really don't feel like I am pigging out, but boy, oh boy, do I have scale-weight to dump. I can totally see it in my face, which really is a sign that I am porking out.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    So many posts. Thank everyone. Good to see all of your posts too.

Beeps - Nice work on the plank and all.

Kimi - neat about the friend and the shoulder definition too.

Sam - funny on the game. I don't know much about pokemon so haven't considered the app but a couple of people at work mentioned it.

Getting settled in new apartment now so hope to get somewhat of a schedule going. I went to the gym after work. My hours are minimal right now, so have to go talk to the person managing the schedule as there was a slight issue from the transfer. I'm going to get a lifting schedule at least, though want to get a new gym in the future. Then figure out a peak cycle despite not being certain I'll get to compete in October. We'll see how it goes.

Just did some light lifting today.

Squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 3x5 @ 135

OHP - 1x8 @ 45, 3x5 @ 65
    front squat - 2x8 @ 65

good morning - 3x10 @ 75

Now eating veggies made in the pressure cooker. mmm
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Dawn - glad to see you back!
    Beeps - glad you are taking it easy
    Samntha - my scale supposedly calculates body fat too. I just jump off it before it gets the chance. I use a barbell for lunges. I actually really like them cause I feel like they hit my hamstrings/glutes even more than squats and deadlifts. Go figure.
    Supermel - great workout! Holy cow 90 sec planks!
    Stephie - thanks! I think I got some good feedback. Looking forward to trying again next time.

Out for a sweaty 3.25 miles this morning. Tomorrow I squat.

Forgot my breakfast this morning and the only thing I had to eat was a lonely Quest bar that I bought at some point and stashed in my desk. Bleh! Why do people love these things? Tastes like splenda mixed with chalk. Gross.
  • samntha14
    Options
    @AigreDoux I think that's why my body hates them. They really harder for me than the average squat or DL. My hamstrings are crying today.

Part of my coaching is weighing myself every day, which I a habit I broke a long time ago. But they want to see how your body reacts to exercise, your cycle and salt etc. At least it doesn't bother me too much. I know my patterns already, so I know what's water retention and what's problematic. The coaches already adjusted my macros. It's cool that I have someone looking out for me.

Today, Theme PArk walking...and eating. At least they have more choices on the meal plan and I can get a grilled chicken wrap.