Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,993 Member
    Options
    I failed :(

Time to dust myself off. Stop eating s**t and get back on track (plus start studying again).

I'm disappointed, but I'll survive

Sorry, stephie. I hope better things are on their way to you.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Nicely with done, kimi and great lifting, aigre!

I have too much work to do, so skipped the gym, today. I aim to get a lifting session in tomorrow.

I binged last night. Wasn't pretty. Sad and mad at myself. I hope for better things tonight.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Draw a line underneath it beeps, and move on. Tomorrow is another day. X
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Bummer Stephie. Hopefully it'll go better next time.

Beeps, stress will do that to you. There's always tomorrow. Work off those extra calories another day.

Today's exercise was brought to you today by the letter W for Water Park. Swimming and carrying a 20lb tube up four flights of stairs REPEATEDLY. The kind of day where a fit bit wold come in handy...if I had one.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Pathology report is in.....B-E-N-I-G-N!!!!!!!!! :)
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Beeps, wonderful news!

Stephie, I'm sorry it didn't go better. Big big hugs.

I did the first workout of Strong stage 7 yesterday and my hamstrings are so sore: those hip extensions plus leg curls were ouchy! I tried them on the TRX but could barely do four reps so I did them on the ball. My back squats went well: I actually got in six sets and got up to 90lbs, or maybe 95lbs, so I'll go heavier next time. I kind of enjoyed the suspended saw. It was much harder than it looked on paper.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    Pathology report is in.....B-E-N-I-G-N!!!!!!!!! :)

A failed exam that I can retake doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

THIS means everything. I am so pleased for you beeps.

And thanks for all your kind words ladies - now I just have to get through the "celebrations" at work and have about a billion people say to me, "ah, you'll get it next time"
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Just woke to your news beeps. Fantastic!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    It is ThE best news, lol! I was beating myself up over the "binge" from the night before....then the phone call came....and I just burst into tears! Had to pull over because I had been driving!

Anyway, off to lift this morning. Will come up with a calorie-reduction plan for a Sunday start. 8- week challenge? Maybe ten? I can get behind that strategy, now! BOOM!
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Beeps - binge sminge, so happy about your results!!! You must be so relieved!!

Kimi - are you doing karaoke in that picture? :)

Pudding - I'm at a similar place as you, but liking Stage 7 so far. Yes, the body saw is difficult, I can go forward ok but going backwards is &*(&^!

2.5 miles this morning, light drizzle but we need the rain. TGIF, everyone, and have a great weekend!
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Since I have been useless at everything for the past couple of weeks, here is a cute picture of my daughter's awesome squat :)

729az17lfe96.jpg

And next week I will be back to kill the nutrition/training/studying/housework demons that I constantly battle!

Aigre - well done on your running and lifting, you're doing awesome. Good for you for knowning to back off too, so often it's easier to push through an injury and do yourself way more damage

• SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are going out to those of you who are dealing with a loss right now.

I did lots of catch-up reading since I've been gone since last Thursday.

Beeps - you be careful with ab exercises. I'm sure you'll be right as rain in a week or two. AND CONGRATS on your amazing news!!! So glad for you!

Sam - Welcome back and nice to meet you! I had viral pneumonia once. Awful. If it were me, I'd probably pick up where I left off and just deload if necessary, but I've never done Strong, so I don't know if that would work.

Aigre - Hope your back continues to feel good! Looks like you've been putting in some good sessions!

Stephie - Sorry your test didn't work out. Only a few more months until you can try again, right? Good luck with it!

I've been eating and drinking (soda) garbage like crazy since we went to Fargo last week. I've never experienced anything quite like this. I'm craving candy and pasta and cereal and SODA - all things I don't like and don't ever crave! I've had more soda in the last week than I've had in the last 6 months. I will start stage 3 of NROLFW on Monday and will buckle back down on the nutrition side of things. Ended up with two weeks in between stages again because of the traveling.

Who can tell me - or point me at groups or websites - about cutting and bulking??
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Congrats Beeps, what a relief.

Stephie - sorry about the exam. Kinda jealous of your daughters squats there :/

Sam - great to see you back

Who can tell me - or point me at groups or websites - about cutting and bulking??
    What do you want to know? I know a little - are you wanting to know which to do (if any)? Often will be dependent on your current BF%. I'm cutting right now - pretty much sucks lol. But have already lost 1kg of holiday weight in 4 days - probably water weight but I'll take it!

• SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    jo_marnes wrote: »
    What do you want to know? I know a little - are you wanting to know which to do (if any)? Often will be dependent on your current BF%. I'm cutting right now - pretty much sucks lol. But have already lost 1kg of holiday weight in 4 days - probably water weight but I'll take it!

How do you know when to do a cut, or a bulk? And how long for either?? I'm at 24% bf right now, but would really like to drop some fat ... Since I started lifting, I haven't lost a pound, but I know I've lost about 3% body fat and gained muscle. I guess I'd just like to start being able to SEE some results.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Awesome news @Beeps2011.
    Way to get it done @AigreDoux @SuperMelinator HI!

It sucks that I can't share the videos and articles from the Eat to Perform site. Today's discussion was about taking a "Super Day." It's not a "cheat day" or a "binge." It's a planned day about once a week, especially if you are constantly in a calorie deficit to keep your metabolism moving. The lead coach said, when you are in a perpetual deficit, you end up eating less and less to lose and maintain in a vicious cycle. The "Super day" shakes your body up and keeps things moving. That doesn't mean eat a bunch of unhealthy food, but kind of planning ahead to be over your calories while mostly keeping your macro percentages mostly in line. Also, by giving your body that spike it needs, you can AVOID unhealthy binges. Most people binge because their bodies are crying for calories it's being denied...as well as all the other emotional stuff ;)

Tomorow I am going to the gym for the first time in two months. I decided to start over but only do three workout each for the first 2 stages. Planning my work, working my plan.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    jo_marnes wrote: »

How do you know when to do a cut, or a bulk? And how long for either?? I'm at 24% bf right now, but would really like to drop some fat ... Since I started lifting, I haven't lost a pound, but I know I've lost about 3% body fat and gained muscle. I guess I'd just like to start being able to SEE some results.

Yeah at 24% I'd do a cut. Gaining is generally done when you are at a lower body fat (say <18%). Cutting means reducing calories - often by around 500 a day but also varies for each individual. I've dropped mine gradually from 1950, to 1750 and now 1500. I am also upping my cardio a little to hopefully speed things up. Key is to maintain your strength training at current (if not more) intensity so you don't lose too much muscle in the cut. Also get your macros on track - I shoot for 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. Mike at Healthy Living, Heavy Lifting (google) has a pretty simple guide which I like.

So I got my new training plan today - basically it focuses on what I was doing but different rep ranges and a few things to fix my squat depth and back strength in DLs. Basically I feel like walking may not be an option several days a week. Trainer now away for 3 weeks so keen to have some improvement by the time he comes back.

However, also a little concerned I have an epigastric hernia..... doc apt this week. Still managed to get 90kg off the floor without drama so 'head in the sand' for now.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Aigre, yep I'm back. Made it to LA late last night. Drove over 16 hours to get back, again all in one day, and it was a long long day. This time we left at 6 am instead of midnight, so got some sleep before driving but was tired when I got home since I also had a morning shift today.

No gym today but it was nice to stand on my feet all shift instead of the car.

Beeps - So glad to hear the happy news. We all have our slips and roller coaster situations but it's great that things came out well on that front.

Stephie - awww. Very cute picture.

Super - I think it depends on where you're at as for when to cut or bulk. I started obese and am still a little overweight for my height so am still in "cut" mode. But I'm hoping to do a bulk near the meet (not sure I'll compete but still have high hopes) this way I can be on higher calories than last time but stay within the weight class I competed in before.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Got to the gym this morning. I'm definitely going to feel it tomorrow.
    Plank 2/60
    Bird dog 4/14
    Goblet squat 25db 3/12
    Three point row 25 db 3/12
    Step up (5 risers) 20dbs 3/12
    Push up (military) 3/12
    Numbers are way lower than is like, but understandable after taking an extended leave.
    I took the time to roll out. I know it's going to hurt.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Having an amazing few days at the grand prix but eating a whole load of rubbish. I'm craving vitamins. I have been eating clean for only about 8 weeks but what a shock to the system this weekend is being! Can't wait to get back into my new normal eating habits!!
  • samntha14
    Options
    Some articles and blogs are open. Here's one from today. http://www.eattoperform.com/2015/09/06/the-success-rate-for-dieting-is-abysmal/
    I woke up crazy sore. Hopefully it will warm up and a swim to work out the kinks will be in order.