Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Stephie - those are not weak lifts!

Kimi - woohooo - 2 racks is THE BEST (tho' 3 would be amazing). Saying that, often not much competition for racks at my gym. I go to a place where a lot of the dudes 'skip leg day' - muppets

Aigre - funny how we can be all so different. I only ever feel my glutes with squats and my quads just sleep through it - so frustrating!!

I matched my bench PR yesterday but failed on the next weight up. Still pathetic. But I feel like I might be able to get it soon.

Squat day today at some point - my middle boy is 10 tomorrow so has his party today. I was up 4 hours putting together his pokemon cake :o

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Everybody is getting in some major lifts!! Nice job ladies.
    My hubby sprang a surprise camping trip on me, so the gym will be replaced with Hiking and kayaking. FUN!! Planned out all of my food or the weekend. Now to see it I can stick to it. Luckily it maintenance days, so if nothing else, hitting the calories at least is easy.
    Have a Great weekend!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Made it to the gym. Going to be working again tomorrow, have 5 days in a row on the current schedule, so that will be better financially. It's still so hot here and even with fans running, got rather sweaty at the gym just doing lifting. Still a bit off on the schedule for the peak cycle but will get things better organized soon.

Squats - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x3 @ 135 and 4x5 @ 145
    Walkout - 215 for 20 seconds
    Pause Squats - 2x5 @ 95 with 8 second count
    Overhead Press - 3x5 @ 65
    Good Morning - 3x10 @ 65

After all the time driving and spending today with sister in her car my back has been a little sore. My legs really felt it after the pause squats in particular. Still went decent. Though just doing this peak cycle for myself. I've made the decision not to do the meet in October. While, it would be really awesome to compete in APA/WPA World, I just can't warrant spending that much. The meet alone is 125, then add plane ticket and other expenses. I'm not comfortable asking for that much as gifts either, even with a birthday coming up. So, I'll just work on PR's and then look forward to possible starting a bulk cycle soon.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Squat day got done but my body was not enjoying. Came home and had 3 coffees and a magnesium supplement :D Perhaps tomorrow will be rest day rather than combat day. Don't actually recall my last rest day so must not have had one yet this week. On the plus side, scales are finally showing a loss. I'm sure it's temporary, but hell, today I will take it
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Scale is not my friend right now. Finally have one at least but not sure how long until things settle after the moving and such. Considering my calories in July though, it should be under 130 but was 134 this morning. I also found that having cardboard under it doesn't work well. I just don't want it to stain the floor as it sort of did in the last apartment when I was using my own scale (before moving in with the previous roommates). Now I have a harder mat underneath but blech to the number. I'm not against weighing around 130 but 125 is the top of the healthy range for my height and I was hoping to get under that before bulking. Want to start bulking at the very end of August, so hope the number adjusts better soon as my calories haven't been maintenance except for some of the travel days and the day in oregon getting together with previous coworkers.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Scale is not my friend right now. Finally have one at least but not sure how long until things settle after the moving and such. Considering my calories in July though, it should be under 130 but was 134 this morning. I also found that having cardboard under it doesn't work well. I just don't want it to stain the floor as it sort of did in the last apartment when I was using my own scale (before moving in with the previous roommates). Now I have a harder mat underneath but blech to the number. I'm not against weighing around 130 but 125 is the top of the healthy range for my height and I was hoping to get under that before bulking. Want to start bulking at the very end of August, so hope the number adjusts better soon as my calories haven't been maintenance except for some of the travel days and the day in oregon getting together with previous coworkers.

Yup, card underneath is going to affect it. Why don't you just put it in a cupboard and bring it out to a flat piece of flooring when you need it?

Also, what is your BF%? I'd urge caution at bulking if you're at the top end of where you want to end up.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    jo_marnes wrote: »
    Yup, card underneath is going to affect it. Why don't you just put it in a cupboard and bring it out to a flat piece of flooring when you need it?

Also, what is your BF%? I'd urge caution at bulking if you're at the top end of where you want to end up.

It's on a flat floor as we don't have carpet except the one bedroom, which is my sister's. I just don't want the floor to get stained like in the last apartment where I had the scale in the bathroom. And we don't have enough cupboard space to stow it away but I have a decent spot near the room divider I have up to make the living room seem like a bedroom.

I don't have an accurate BF reading. Only times it has been checked was at 24 hour fitness with calipers. I'm okay with my first bulk being at a higher weight then going lower in the next cut than I am with the current one. It's that or wait and hope I can get my weight down below 120 before doing anything, which is proving a challenge with the fat and some loose skin. The weight range for 4'11.5" is a nuisance. 125 top for the "healthy" range. I should be in the upper 120's so just need to get resettled in the routine now that I have work and am all moved in. Just not planning to wait until I'm 110 before attempting to gain some muscle.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Well my OHP day was shite. Left shoulder was hopeless and refused to cooperate. Got in some *kitten* lifts all the same - then ran for 10 mins. Then came home and hammered the crap out of said shoulder with a body combat. Probably didn't help my shoulder but made me feel better
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have some catching up to do with you ladies! I haven’t been as dedicated lately. 

Jo – What the WHAT?!?! My eyes almost popped out of my head at those numbers!

And Steph – Your numbers are terrific!

I’m going to start referring to TOM as “shark week.” It just makes so much sense to me :wink: Anyway, because shark week came 4 days early again this month (WTF?), I am going to the gym a little later today to avoid the majority of the workout lunch people – in case of any mishaps… I’ll probably head over about 2 or 2:30. Man, I’m losing steam for this program fast! Has this happened to anyone else? I feel anxious about starting new stages because I don’t know what I’m doing, and that keeps me away. And then I’m anxious about not doing what I should be doing and pushing it back. Two weeks per stage is so short and leaves me feeling super anxious all the time. Ugh. On the bright side, I have a 67-mile bike ride (a metric century!) scheduled for this Saturday :smiley:

Has anyone here used Map My Ride, or Map My Run? On my last ride (112 minutes, 20 miles, ~12mph) it estimated 1000 cal. burn. The count seems a bit high to me.

Also, I went to the doc last week and one of the things we talked about was weight. She suggested two books to look at. One is called “The 17 Day Diet” and the other is called “Always Hungry?” Anyone heard of these or have any opinions?
  • samntha14
    Options
    My husband used to use Map my ride but switched to strava. He wears a HRM and it calculates his joules and calories. Without the HRM the Map my apps are still only an estimate.
    Why is your doctor recommending those types of books? Is she concerned by your weight?

We had a killer weekend. So much so that I had a lazy day today. Five mile Hike Saturday. Two mile open water kayaking and swimming Sunday. I"m beyond done. I did well following my meal prep. Not even hungry today. In fact, I never seem hungry anymore.

Back to the barbell tomorrow.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Nicely done Sam.

Mel - I used to use mapmyrun but only for my running distance/ time. Good in that respect but never utilised the other functions.

Well, today I have logged 1300 days..... you'd think I'd have learnt by now. I have had a crappy day and eaten too much peanut butter and drank too much wine. Sigh. Shoulder still crappy so gym felt yuk even though the numbers were reasonable (deadlift day). PT is back in town after a few weeks away. Hope to catch up with him soon to iron out some issues
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Did bodycombat before work today. I am so tired at my desk now. Anyone care to prescribe me a week on a desert island, pleeeeeaaaaassseee!?
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Sorry Kimi - but at least you got it done!

I am so busy at work, so many apologies but I'll catch up with all your accomplisments later on. I did force myself to go to the gym at lunch, despite the busyness because I thought it would rejuvinate me for the afternoon.. I'm now tired though so perhaps it won't work.

Squats: 5x5 @ 72.5kg - WAHEY, got them all :) some with questionable depth, but some very deep, so I figure it evens outs

Bench: 5,5,5,3,0 @ 42.5kg - so I went to video the 4th set and clearly jinxed myself because I had to dump it on my hips and wriggle out :( not my finest moment, but I did it quite quietly and I don't think anyone saw!

Rows: 5x5 @ 42.5kg (smith + 22.5kg) - this was extremely easy because I figured out what the hell I had been doing wrong! I was not standing over the bar enough and was therefore not pulling in the correct direction. Time to try these again from the floor and see what I can do!! (This also make me question my deadlift setup, so I'm going to try closer to the bar there as well to see how it feels)
  • samntha14
    Options
    Sorry for the bummer day Jo.
    Wish I could Kimi. Everybody deserves a week in paradise.
    Stephie, nicely done.

Got back to the barbell today. Felt pretty darn good
    S2 WO B1
    Side plank rows 1x14, 1x 15.5
    SL RDL 3x25dbs
    DB BP 3x25dbs
    Front Squat 3x65
    SA Cable Row 3x30

Still doing the push-up challenge. I can now do all 22 on floor with very little pausing.

On a side note:
    I was asked recently, "What is holding you back from reaching your goals?" Most people write time, kids, work etc. I wrote Asthma. I've been a real knucklehead about it. My asthma is athletic onset, heart rate goes too high, my lungs kind of seize up and I can't breathe. I used my inhaler all through school for sports and activities, but not as an adult. Recently, I've been doing more intense cardio including long hikes, kayaking, swimming, etc. I nearly keeled over in a contact kickboxing class, and the asthma is seriously holding me back (it doesn't bother me with heavy lifting, I just take slightly longer breaks.) So I decided to stop being a knucklehead and called my doctor to get a new inhaler.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Sam - Nice work on the push ups. I haven't even done those for months, probably not since NROLFW. Good to get that inhaler and take care of the asthma issues.

Stephie - At least you went and got it done. Well done.

Super - I haven't used any but I also don't bike. For my runs, I just had my 10 year old iPod with me so didn't use anything that could have an app on it. Would be interesting though, something like those programs.

Sunday I did bench press and deadlift at the gym in effort to get back together since the driving and such made it difficult to do the lifting 4 days a week. Back to the upper/lower approach now though, with both upper including bench. On the plus side of not competing, I don't have a set date to peak on per se, which is good since I need to get some of the lifts up a little in order to work towards my goals.

Sunday

bench - 2x8@ 45, 1x6 @ 65, 4x6 @ 75
    ohp - 3x5 @ 65
    good morning - 3x10 @ 65
    deadlift - 1x6 @ 135, 1x5 @ 185, 1x1 @ 205 and 3x5 with belt at 195

205 felt too heavy so shifted down. Was supposed to do 4x6 but need to work my way up a little more. Belt helped though.

Today

bench - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 4c5 @ 80
    chin up - 3x2, one pull up
    cable bicep curl 3x8 @ 30
    face pull 3x10 @ 30
    bent over row 3x8 @ 80 - challenging on the last reps.

Also am trying to set up the free personal trainer session at the gym just out of curiosity. It's an anytime fitness so not quite geared towards powerlifting. One of the questions he asked when taking notes to set it up was which body part I wanted to focus on... Kinda stared for a second cause yeah, all. Not going for a particular spot. But we'll see how it goes once it gets set up. Need to work on my protein as it's easy to get carbs cheap and my roommates don't eat meat much, plus our oven doesn't actually work. We need to put in a note with the apartment cause it's brand new but doesn't get to a temperature that will actually cook anything and the stove top clicks but doesn't light so can't use them either. I have a slow cooker and sister has a pressure cooker, just haven't use them for any protein sources yet, mostly just vegetables. Able to get low calories but need to work on the macros.

• AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Quick drive by post from my phone. Glad to see everyone training and hitting such great numbers!

Saturday did Strong, stage 8, workout B, combo 2 (OHP), then headed over to the island. Sunday ran a nice 5.75 miles around the island with some amazing views along the way. Got back yesterday and did Strong, stage 8, workout C, combo 1 (deadlifts). This morning out for a foggy but cool 3.3 miles.

Today is my son's 5th birthday so we are off to the aquarium and out to dinner. Date night tomorrow and then two birthday parties this weekend, so keeping at my deficit is a huge challenge. I am hoping for maintenance.

In other news, the owners of the house my brother wanted came back to him and accepted his offer after rejecting it a week ago. So we are again hopeful he will get this house! It's 1.1 miles from me!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Hey, ladies! I've been in lurke mode for a while, but wanted to pop in and say great job! Love seeing all the big numbers you're lifting.
    I'm still dealing with my disc issue, but starting to get some strength workouts in. Guess pain is just a part of my life right now.
    Lift on!
  • samntha14
    Options
    Cowgirl, nobody should have to love in pain. I hope you can feel better, but I know when it comes to problems with the back... Feel better honey.

Rest day today. I gave blood, that's my excuse. I did get my push ups in today. Not perfect but I starting to aim for depth now.

Aigre, have fun. Sounds like a busy weekend.

Dawn, folks in my ETP group are all about the instapot pressure cooker. There are a crap ton of recipes online. Hopefully, the oven can get fixed. Now that nonsense about "what body part." I really wish people in the fitness industry would stop perpetuating that crap.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Samntha - The pressure cooker is nice on the veggies as we are weird and like ours super soft. Need to get some Brussel's sprouts soon and cook them in it. mmmm I guess if you want to focus on a particular set of parts, like the arm bros or something, but yeah. Though the guy also thought powerlifters did cleans so... just because work in gym doesn't equal fitness knowledge. Plus, that gym isn't equipped for cleans or jerks since it's not the focus of their gym.

Barbell - persistent pain is a nuisance. I have arthritis in my back and other problems so get pain on a regular basis. Luckily for me it's not too bad yet but there lots of years left to go of it. Hope you continue to do well and at least enjoy some of the things you do. :-)
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Bbc-so good to near from you! Sorry about your back :( hope you're healing. I sympathize! My compressed disc gives me grief from time to time too :(

Sam-I took yesterday off too ;)

Jo-I'm like you, don't use my quads as much in my squats. I'm going to try hack squats and see how that goes? I've read they're great for quads.'happy birthday to your son!

Kim-I'd join you on that island!

Mel-shark week -my sympathies! Mine came 15 days early this time!, Grrr. Hope it's the start of menopause, I'd be happy to get through that!

Dawn-muscle gain will make the scale go up, just a reminder ;) you're doing fine!

Aigre-jealous of the island! Happy birthday to Ds!

I got in good upper body lifts today. :) saw a guy I haven't seen in a month or so, who said he almost didn't recognize me! Complimented me on my weight loss (I don't think I lost any? I think I'm up?) but he was very encouraging which was wonderful!! My dd(16) has been telling me I look good lately too. I'll take it as I'm not very motivated to lose any weight right now! ;)

Take care all!! I will try to checkin again soon and do better with personals!