Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    Julie, when you get your thyroid meds, does the weight gain fall back off?
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Good for you guys!
    Sam-great job! What's a "low" day? Carbs, cals? Curious about your eating plan and probably missed

I'm down 5-6 lbs this week back to LC. Sticking around 50-60g carbs this week has helped me nail and exceed my protein goal each day. I'm satisfied and not hungry all the time, well fueled and lifting well, and feeling pretty good. I've been dragging for months and gaining weight despite a decent deficit, so this is kinda extra fabulous for me! Not sure I'll stay LC for months on end, but for now I'm happy :). It IS how I lost my 120 lbs, but I wasn't budging weight LC so I transitioned away from it a few years ago.

Happy weekend all! I lift tomorrow :)

Julie, I'm carb cycling AKA the Wave method. Low days : 140c 70F 130P, Med days 215c 50f 130p, High days 265c 50f 130p. Calories correspond to each day. Calorie counts are based on macronutrients, who knew? Those are set to my personal weight, goals, and training. Everyone gets different numbers. IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE!!

As far as LC, it is fabulous in the short term. Our bodies tend to become resistant as we get closer to our goals, that's when refeeding and cycling become important as opposed to increasing the deficit as many people tend to do. Total congrats on the scale loss!!

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Sam - :smiley: Squat day is fun but quite a bit of work. I don't add much, just the sumo deadlifts since the squat stuff takes time and efforts. Nice work on your lifts too. Sounds like you're crushing it.

Julie - The LC sounds like a hassle but nice to see progress, though can see how it can help give room for that protein.

Day off from work. Yay! I went to the gym though for being interested in contacting me about fitting in the training on my day off, I still haven't heard from them. Next schedule I get friday off instead of Saturday. My schedule changes every week and I can't answer my phone at work or in the car, so if they call, the note is to leave a message, so we'll see if they call some time this next week. I was going to go check out griffith park to walk around for cardio and scope out some potential running paths but I don't wanna do it alone. Guess I'll wait longer and try to convince my sister to come for a walk one of these days. I did grocery shopping instead. I did get some bolilo rolls but also got some chicken. Trying to do a little better in buying food so can make it instead of buying in the moment. Spending the rest of the day at home, getting some filming done, videos for youtube, reviewing, and maybe organizing our boxes of stuff since we've lived here just over a month now.

Bench Day

band pull aparts - 3x10
    bench press - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 70, 1x5 and 1x4 @ 95, 1x6 and 1x5 @ 90
    pull up 1x1, chin up 1x2.5, 1x2
    ohp 2x10 @ 45, 1x5 @ 60, 1x5 and 1x4 @ 70
    tricep pushdown - 3x10 @ 35
    pallof press - 3x10 @ 20
    overhead tricep extension - 1x5 @ 25, 1x6 and 2x8 @ 20

Now that I've had lunch, it's time to get on with being productive while fighting the urge to snack all day on the limited food supplies since it is "shark week" and I'll be home all day.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Nicely done Dawn!
    It's hot, I'm tired. On the bright side, I got my WO done early.
    S2 WO A3
    PLank Pulldown 2x12@17lbs
    Reverse Lunge 3x12@ 20dbs
    Inverted Row (much lower) 3x12
    RDL 70lb curl bar
    Pushups 2x12, 1x22
    Didn't move up in weights and the heat was unbearable. Anyone else sweat more on one side of their body. Seriously, when my body temp goes up, I turn into Two-face.
    Now I need a nap.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Hot here too. Had a hard time sleeping last night due to the heat then had to be at work by 7 am, which meant getting up before 6. Blech. Worked 8 hours cashiering and only had a black cold starbucks coffee (found in the cooler section at the store, too lazy to get starbucks from across the street). Then had coke zero during lunch break and on shorter breaks. After work, had a melty protein bar, cliff builder. Not enough for deadlift day, oops. Was so tired but went to the gym anyways. It was okay and empty until deadlifts, when I had to be loud. Of course, that is when people show up, not when I'm doing the quiet stuff.

front squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75 and 3x6 @ 95
    good morning - 3x10 @ 95
    deadlift - 1x6 @ 135, 1x4 @ 185, belted 2x6 @ 205 and 2x5 @ 215
    glute kickback - 3x10 @ 10

Have a little rough patch with feeling a lacking in progress on many levels. Need to work some things out and top priority is finding work that aligns more with my passion and interests.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday, everyone! Another one here sick of the heat. Come on, fall.

Dawn - yes, that's not a lot of food! Hope you find a way to eat more!

Samntha - so interesting about your diet plan! How often do you have low, medium and high days? Do they correspond to days you lift? Do you do much cardio? Are you having good success with this? How does it fit into the usual eating with a family type of stuff?

Julie - glad low carb is working for you again!

Supermel - you did a 70 mile ride in sandals??? :)

Anyway, today is a rest day for me. Need it. Will try to get out and walk around lunchtime, but gah it is so hot.

Saturday I did Strong, Stage 8, Workout B, #3, Combo 2
    Hanging knee raises - 2x8
    OHP - 1x5@33 lbs, 1x5@48 lbs, 1x3@48 lbs, 2x2@48 lbs. Failed on a couple of the reps but did an extra set of 2 to make up for it.
    Bench press - 2x12@48 lbs
    SL RDL - 2x12@48 lbs
    Chin ups - 2x10 with band assist
    Reverse lunges - 2x10@48 lbs

Yesterday I ran 5 miles in the hot sticky stupid humid air. I keep buying fall things because they have them all out know, but can't wear any of it. Grumpy this morning because I have a long week ahead.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Grumpy this morning because I have a long week ahead.

Story of my day! So busy, hubby being a t**t most of the day, started work at 7.30am, came home to endless tasks and wrote assignment until 9pm. Tomorrow I have to get up at 5am for a training course (1.5 hrs drive). Ugh.

On the plus side OHP day is done (lunch break). Sucked though. I am going backwards with OHP. I think I may just forget that crappy crappy lift. I even swore out loud at the gym. I mean, I swear a lot, but not usually out loud at random in public :D I'd have had more fun with a punch bag today I reckon.

Scales are pissing me off. Strength is shite. Man, wtf am I doing wrong????????

Rant over. I'm hormonal (can't you tell??). Uni assignments not helping either. Hoping tomorrow my bitchy mood and tobacco cravings (seriously, it's been 13 years) have gone for another few weeks.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Finally made it back to the gym, so deloaded in line with what the stronglifts app told me to (good girl). Did an extra set of deadlifts becuase the first one didn't record (bad girl)

Squats: 5x5 @ 65kg - narrowed my stance significantly, felt great and still hit depth without the knee cave - SUCCESS

OHP: 5x5 @ 25kg - tried a different grip (bear claw is it called?) and attempted to keep my wrists straighter. Changed the whole dynamic of the lift, I should have videoed the last set as it felt CRAZY different.

Deadlifts: 2x5 @ 80kg - felt good. Looked ok on camera too (After the major camera fail on the first set)

Jo - hope you're feeling better soon. Hormones are a pain in the *kitten* and make everythign about a billion times worse
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sam - When I was in high school and college my left armpit would sweat buckets and my right one would be dry! They've evened out now, but it was so weird and I would ruin white shirts within a few wears! I DO know better than to wear sandals (Keens, at least :smile: ), but I really like that my feet stay cool. It was a pretty casual ride - not a race, so I thought it would be fine. I've never gone that far before, so it was a new experience. I'm going to look into doing some gravel races in my area but most are unsupported and that makes me super nervous because of some of the impossible terrain on the routes (logged areas, creeks, rocks, woods, etc.) and my lack of mechanical knowledge - I heard a story about a guy whose derailleur exploded during a race and he converted the bike to a fixie! That's not something I could probably do.

Dawn - you lift so heavy I don't know how you could go all day with only a protein bar, a soda or two and a coffee! I would keel over if I even made it to the gym lol

Stephie - Awesome job on the squats! I know you've been working hard on those!

Jo - HAHAHA on the swearing! I swear a lot too.

Dawn - Don't worry, you'll get back into the swing.

Today is a gym day, NROLFW Stage 3 day A.

Also, I'm going to give this 17 day diet thing a go, just for funsies. It's basically a low carb/sugar/sugar, high protein cycle. Or at least that's what it seems like. I already ruined it for the day with a half donut, but whatevs. Little donut won't stop me. :smiley:
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sam - finally watched/listened to that vid you posted. YES! It's such a complicated, multi-faceted issue that I'm surprised he really is taking it on.
  • samntha14
    edited August 2016
    Options
    SuperMel, the biggest takeaway for me was that EVERY woman is different but every woman struggles to lose fat. It is n fact much easier than men because of hormones. I really like the idea of deload PMS week ( ;) Jo) That's usually my rest week because I'm the type with ZERO energy. My hormonal fatigue is EXTREME!.
    Samntha - so interesting about your diet plan! How often do you have low, medium and high days? Do they correspond to days you lift? Do you do much cardio? Are you having good success with this? How does it fit into the usual eating with a family type of stuff?

My pattern is as follows, HMLHMML. The average comes out to maintenance. I actually really like the variety as opposed to eating the same level all the time, and I have to say it's working. I never really had food issues, but watching teammates repair theirs is really something. Believe it or not, I tend to have the most energy on low days. I probably sound like a commercial, but It's pretty awesome, and it's working for me.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aigre - I ate more, just not beforehand. :wink: It's not too challenging to get in the deficit calories but I don't like eating in the morning and prefer getting more in a single meal than trying to sparse out the around 1400 goal throughout many hours of the day. Just learned that before deadlifts the larger portion should be before gym and not after.

Jo - Hope the days get better. Having some hormonal related issues as well.

Stephie - Nice work and pfft, nothing wrong with an extra deadlift set. They are just fun anyways right? hehe

SuperMel - I'm more used to the not eating much early on. Though I don't often do that much on less than 500 calories (rest came after lifting). Just sometimes forget one schedule with the other as I don't get much time to eat at work, 30 minute lunch break, and sometimes don't feel like eating. Did feel really tired and even 205 was harder than the week before so fuel does help for sure.

Today I just worked morning and now I'm home, being lazy. Well, trying to get stuff done online while thinking about going to bed. One more morning shift, then day off. We considered Vegas for a thing but sister is tired and has other stuff going on this week too so think we'll do it some other time. I'm not up for much so am kind of glad to do a more low key, middle of week day off from work. This weekend I have shifts that are morning, evening, morning then evening. Schedule is a bit odd right now and we'll see how the rest of the month goes when they get them figured out. Maybe if I have energy I'll check out Golds Gym tomorrow after work as there is one much closer than my current commercial gym spot. hmmm
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Hi all!

Dawn - oh, glad you are eating! I usually work out in the AM before breakfast, so I guess I'm used to "fasted" but if I don't eat during the day, I definitely notice some "hangry"ness later on in the day. Still, 205 deadlifts are pretty impressive!

Samntha - how interesting! I am really considering it. Are you trying to lose weight or recomp?

Supermel - hope you had a good workout!

Stephie - LOL at extra deadlifts because video :) All your lifts looked awesome though!

Jo - hormones are the worst! Hope today is a better day.

Today was Strong, Stage 8, Workout C #3, Combo 1
    My 2 year old woke up just as I was starting, and instead of waking up DH (since it would have woken up my son too since he had snuck into our bed), I gave her my phone to watch Elmo while I did it. I did manage to avoid hitting her on the head with the barbell, so a successful workout. Was kind of nice to have company, actually!
    Cable horizontal chop - 2x10 with resistance band
    Deadlifts - 1x5@103 lbs (warm up), then I essentially did 12x1@130 lbs. (Was supposed to be sets of 5, 4, 3, but I reset each time). Just 8 lbs below my body weight. Didn't record it since my daughter had my phone. Didn't have enough energy to do more to record it ;-) I think I felt it more in my hamstrings and glutes than last week where I felt it a lot in my lower back. Will see what DOMS brings tomorrow though.
    Inverted row - 2x8 on TRX
    Reverse lunges - 2x8@55 lbs
    Pushups - 2x8 off bench
    SL hip thrust - 2x8

Now heading into a recovery week and then Stage 9!
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Aigre - Haha I've set the bar now - you must do deadlifts until you remember to video a set :) awesome workout, you're so close to the end of Strong now!!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    OMG had the BEST time today. LONG day but so worth it. Spent 8 hours learning from incredible women about suturing perineums (did you just clench your butt too?) and then had 90 mins dedicated time at the powerlifting club fixing my squat. Guess what? It's all in my head. I just need the right cues. My mobility is fine. HA! A revelation! Turns out if a big dude threatens to hit me with a stick, I can squat almost *kitten* to grass let alone parallel! :D

So now I have wine to celebrate. And food. Which I will probably regret, but heck - wooooohoooo
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Jo-wonderful update! I could use a squat tutorial! I still feel like I'm gonna fall backwards when I'm sitting back far enough...

Dawn-fuel is our friend, but I lift fasted often enough to understand! ;)

Aigre-you're killing it!! Wtg! I'm enjoying LC, but not super low, around 70g most days, definitely helps keep the junk at bay!

Sam-it sound alike a great plan! I'm off to look into it. I have cycled calories and carbs with some success in the past. So glad it's working so well for you!! Thanks for sharing it!

Mel-good luck on the 17 day diet!

Steph-thanks for the info on the Ohp. Not my favorite lift either! But I'll try those changes and see if mine improves too! And I'm doing SL now too and deloaded to start out. I'm sore even without lifting very heavy at all! Good stuff!

Beeps-I hope the thyroid meds, when I finally get them, will help me lose this stubborn fat! So frustrating to work and sacrifice, and keep to all my macros etc, with a gain?! :(

Plugging away, lifted yesterday. Still low carb, but not super low, about 70g carbs. Feel good, not losing but not gaining, so I'll take it for now :). Added hack squats, liked them more than last time I tried them! Since I'm on low weights at the start of SL I add lots of accessories. ;)

Hope you're all doing well!
  • samntha14
    Options
    @AigreDoux I guess you can all it recomp as I'm set to fat loss. Down 1 pound per month and losing some inches. My chiro noticed a difference :)

@Julie, 70CARBS??? I could NEVER live off of that. How do you do it?

Today is my high day. I just realized how much food I have left. I need to pace myself better. Some days I run out of food too quick, other days I'm still eating at 11pm.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aigre - hehe, no worries, I am a fan of food. ;-) Had reese's at lunch today. Not the best choice but tasted so good. Cute having the 2 year old companion.

Jo - Sounds great. Glad you had a good day.

Julie - 70 sounds low to me but my days vary. I don't do low on purpose, just some days have lots of carbs (which include veggies and such) and others not much.

Instead of lifting upper body today at gym after work and long commute, I did cardio. Was tired from the third morning shift in a row, another where I spent a fair amount of my shift just cashiering. Got a newsletter done at Starbucks after but was nauseated so didn't even finish my cold brew. Driving to the gym took over 40 minutes with traffic. I didn't really want to do anything but made the drive so decided to do some cardio and it was what I needed. I know some find treadmill super boring but the droning action of just moving with the music from pandora playing (now that I finally have their internet password) worked for me. I ended up jogging for 45 minutes and had a warm up and cool down walk.

Then I went to a couple of food stories and the vitamin shop for protein snacks and in search of a thickening agent. I finally found xanthum gum on closeout at a grocery store, so got the small bag. I'm not a fan of protein shakes so am going to try and make more of a fluff instead.

No work tomorrow so yay. Sleep in and do other stuff tomorrow.
  • AigreDoux
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Dawn - You'll have to let me know how to protein fluff comes out. I can't really do protein shakes either. Mostly because I detest the taste of splenda/sucralose and I have a hard time finding one with a different sweetener. Ironically I don't mind aspartame or stevia.

Samntha - cool! so awesome that you are having so much success with it!

Julie - yeah, 70 carbs is low, but not crazy. I have heard of some of the LCHF people having like 20-30g, which I think would be tough. I average about 130g, it seems like. I don't typically try to manipulate carbs and fat, though. Just try to hit a good amount of protein (100-130g) and then keep the calories around 1500-1600 ish. Maybe a little higher if I have a long run. My DH is Chinese so we eat a fair amount of rice which accounts for a big portion of my carbs. If I cut that out I could hit 70g pretty easily, I think, but I would have an unhappy husband :)

Jo - how awesome to fix your squat! Are you going to go back to/join the powerlifting club?

Stephie - haha, I will video next time I promise!

Today I ran 3.2 miles. It was 82 degrees, 80% humidity at 5:30 am. Ick ick ick. Now I'm at work and I forgot my breakfast as I was walking out the door. So I'm hungry but there's really nowhere around here to buy anything to eat, save the vending machine. So I'm just going to complain about it until lunchtime.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    ^ I liked that, but really I did not like the lack of food, I did like the complaining :)

I've done the LCHF thing on 30g carbs a day, definitely doable. I like to sit around 50 - 100 now, seems to suit me a little better. When you go low you have to make sure you sort out your salt and potassium (a lot of both) as your body dumps sodium like crazy with no carbs around