Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Jo - wow! That's amazing!! Congratulations!

Dawn - wow, $300 a month is super spendy! I sort of looked into cross fit type gyms when we moved, but it really works for me to exercise at home. I am just more consistent with it. I think I could definitely benefit from additional coaching or training that a gym could provide, it's just so hard to fit it into my schedule these days.

Julie - nice workouts! Glad things are coming back for you!

Kimi - just get a gym setup and stick in one of the kids' bedrooms. They'll get the message ;-)

Stephie - I know you'll be back at it soon!

Today was the last workout of Stage 8!
    Cable rotating press - 2x8 with resistance band
    Deadlift - 2x5@103 lbs
    Bench press - 2x12@50.5 lbs
    SL RDL - 2x12@50.5 lbs
    Chin ups - 1x3 and 1x2 with the lighter resistance band. It's a big jump.
    Reverse lunges - 2x12@50.5 lbs

Onto Stage 9 on Saturday. Looks killer and feeling a little intimidated.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Amazing Jo!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    jo_marnes, you totally amaze me. Awesome DL!

Dawn, I do follow your adventures with great interest....keep searching because you are growing and stretching yourself in ways and means you may not even realize for some time to come.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    i did lift, today.

...and then stepped on the scale. :(

I will make an appt to see my dr about thyroid....and then I have started calorie-cutting and logging all my food. That piece has to take precedence in my life, right now. Sure, I will lift 3 x per week and cardio 1 x per week, but I need to focus on nutrition-accountability every day. Period.

These last few months have wreaked havoc on my body, my psyche. Time to just get-back-to-basics and do the hard work. Not fun...but sometimes "uncomfortable" things still have to be done.

BOOM!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Jo - Awesome job. That's a goal I'm still trying to reach. Congrats!

Aigre - Coaching would be nice but even with going to a gym it's not something available unless you have the money for the training as usually it's just an occasion free session depending on location. Mostly they cost per week or month too. I'd like to train at home but no room in the little apartment at this time. Maybe some day, if I ever have a house.

Beeps - Thanks. :blush:

Well... no squats today. I spent all morning in bed as in the middle of the night I got a really bad headache and was nauseated all morning and tired. Made myself eat some bread and pb but wasn't remotely hungry. Still a little nauseated but have work in less than 2 hours. Then I work 7 am tomorrow and roommate wants to go to a burlesque show tomorrow night, so we'll see how the schedule ends up this weekend. Was looking forward to squats too but I'll get them in at some point.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Woohoo Jo! Amazing!! (Plus, you only weigh 121lbs? Double wow!! ;)) impressive little lady!! B)

Dawn-that is interesting!! CTE, the 1 minute then a second round through 4th round, you change the weights? Or only on the last set? All in a minute each lift? Sorry, just wrapping my head around it. Love variety!! :) good job!
    So sorry you're sick! What do you think brought that on? The workouts? Hope you're feeling better!

Beeps-yay for getting back to lifting! How do you feel? Hope your thyroid is good. I'm still waiting to see my new endocrinologist-sept 12 was the earliest appt!
    The scale is evil, how do your clothes fit? Good for you taking control of your eating and tracking, great first step toward your new goal. You can do it!!

Aigre-good workout! So nice to do it at home :)

Got in a nice walk today and am trying to eat lighter. Scale up 3 lbs this week, but the weight training is much better. If I can stop gaining and keep adding weight to my lifts I'll stay the course. Hoping to eventually, slowly, shed some fat too! Jeans are tight! :( boo.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Julie, my clothes are snug, snug, snug. So,ething went kookoo this spring and the crazytrain rolls on.

I will cut calories to do what I can, but 20 lbs gained in 4 months? I have never been this heavy without also being 6+ months pregnant!!

So, if not thyroid, then OMG.

Also, why?!?!

Tomorrow, I lift. i stayed below 1,600 cals today.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Beeps, I gained a similar amount last year when I returned from honeymoon. It went on in the space of 7 weeks!!!!! It has, however, taken 11 months to lose it, despite trying really hard to exercise and eat sensibly (ie not crash diet it away). Frustrating - it went on so quickly just by continuing to celebrate our wedding with friends, bottles of fizz being consumed, meals out etc. I didn't even realise until I went to put on a summer dress at the end of August that I had worn on honeymoon mid June and the zip wouldn't do up, with a gap of about 2 inches at the top!!

Aigre, the thought of putting a gym in the kids rooms is tempting - when my daughter was away for the winter season skiing, I had all sorts up there - bike on the turbo trainer, weights, etc! Then she came home and demanded it was moved! Hmmph!

Julie, you asked about the plan I am on - it is a 90 day plan. First 30 days of increased cardio - of the HIIT variety, although I just added this on to my weights sessions. On days you workout, you can have one carb "refuel" meal within 90 mins of exercising, then two low carb meals and two low carb snacks during the day. Portions are HUGE so you don't miss the carbs at all, although you do have to get to love broccoli and spinach! Cycle 2 is carb laden - 4 day split on weights where you do 10x10 sets. Typical 4 day split of chest/back, arms, shoulders and legs. 2 exercises of 10x10, so chest and back would be bench press and barbell rows, legs would be squats and lunges.

Because of the number of sets and reps, they suggest 60% of your 1RM, hence the lighter weights. First set is easy for those of us that have been lifting a while....by set 6 or 7 the lighter weights feel heavier than anything ever known to man!!! 60 secs max rest between sets, so less than 5x5 rest periods, all adding to the intensity! Plus 2 x 8 min HIIT sessions in between sets (or a spin class or similar during the day if that fits).

During this cycle you have 3 carb meals on training days but low carbs/high fat on rest days.

Cycle three ups the exercise intensity even more with pyramid training, but goes back to one refuel meal on a training day only, with the rest low carbs/high fat (not no-carbs, still able to have small portions of things like sweet potato, porridge oats etc, but not "full" portions). This hopefully strips the podge that you have gained from a carb laden cycle 2 and exposes those lovely muscles you've been working on over the 90 days!

All food is clean eating, really good recipes, plus you can make your own recipes from a "pick and mix" list as long as you get all your food groups during each day, so plenty of freedom which works well with me at work and with the family. No processed rubbish, so I am feeling better in myself too.

So today - Shoulders day. My HIIT sessions were made up of 2 sets of 8x20 kettlebell swings, then 10x10 OHP and 10x10 lateral raises.

So far so good.

Gentle hugs to all those who need them for whatever reason, and have a good Friday!

• AigreDoux
    Options
    Happy Friday, all!

Beeps and Kimi - I gained about 15 pounds last year between August and December during a stressful move. It will come off, and Beeps, you went through some high stress stuff this spring, so be kind to yourself! Kimi, that's an interesting workout plan! Where are you in the cycle?

Julie - I bet things will even off for you once the thyroid is fixed up.

Dawn - really, for $300 a month there is no coaching included? Geez! I used to work with a personal trainer at the YMCA near my old house. She was nice but maybe too nice and I didn't work hard enough. Plus I would only go once a week and didn't change my diet, so no wonder I didn't see wonderful results.

Anyway, I got out this morning in my new flashy vest for 3 miles. Literally flashy.

I've got new booties and a XS blazer I haven't worn in a while on, so things are looking good. Tonight will be sushi and wine, so the scale will go up a bit tomorrow undoubtedly. But tomorrow I squat.

TGIF!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Hurrah for the XS blazer! an lol at the flashy vest. I used to have a little light and some Velcro that I would attach to my running gear through the winter. More than once forgot to take it of and it would go through the washing machine!

I'm in the first week of the second cycle of the plan, so day 34 of 90, I think. It is encouraging me to plan meals for the next week at a time, so I am super organised for once in my life!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good wishes <3

Wow, cross fit is expensive. I can't recall how much it was here in Oz when I looked but I remember thinking it wasn't worth it.

Aigre - another stage is always good to shake things up. I do not miss the SLDL!

Julie - haha yes, I'm a little one - but wasn't always. I started this journey at 75kgs (165lbs).

I'm sure if I had a rack at home I would be squatting better by now.

To those struggling with the scales and/ or progress - I feel that - while I am no expert - having gotten to my goal weight, maintained this for a number of years (up/ down as intended) and increased my strength I may have some words of advice. First up, consistency is key. Both in regards to training and eating. Choose a goal. Stick to one program to get you there. Evaluate frequently (3 mthly works for me). Modify the program as required.

KNOW what your maintenance calories are. Without knowing this, how can you know if you are in deficit etc? Start this by taking an educated guess - online calculators are useful for this. Eat that amount and record how much you weigh on a daily basis for at least 3 months. Yes, boring, but so informative. Our weight varies with our monthly cycles so you want to see what the trend is, not the daily difference. Why keep guessing? FIGURE IT OUT. Then adjust accordingly.

Then factor in goals. If goal is weight loss, eat at deficit and KNOW your calorie burn. MFP way over estimates for me so I used a HR monitor to work it out to start with. Now I know how much I can eat without even having to factor in my workouts - I aim for the same almost every day because my activity is pretty similar each day. And anyway, would certainly be the same over any given week. So if it helps to keep it simple, don't count exercise cals and just use the weight monitoring to decide a daily intake amount.

Frequent review is paramount - this year I dropped my calorie requirement because my job changed and is less physical. I had to factor this in to my plan. Now I want to cut some more body fat so I have dropped my cals again. It took a while to notice a difference (about 6 weeks) but now I'm 9 weeks in and in that time have lost 2% body fat and can SEE the change. Note that my scale weight has only changed a fraction.

It really is about gathering all the info (which takes time) and then using it effectively to achieve your goals. Constant evaluation is crucial, but swapping eating/ exercise plans every few months is only going to make you go back and forwards without really knowing what works.

• AigreDoux
    Options
    Jo - fantastic advice! Thank you so much for a great post. How do you calculate your calories burned during weight lifting? I have been ignoring that as my Fitbit doesn't really pick it up (obviously), but noticing as I get closer to goal that it's more difficult for me to stick with MFPs recommended calorie goal. I usually start the day at 1200 and then accumulate 300 ish from my daily non-exercise activity via fitbit. But much under 1600 is a hungry day for me. So don't know if I am underestimating by ignoring those calories.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    I don't calculate lifting calories - I always figured they'd be pretty low. The online calculators work it out at just over 100 for an hour - so I don't bother. All my exercise is logged as 1 calorie so that I can track how much I'm doing, but that's all.

You have a ballpark figure with 1500 - 1600. So why not try what I suggested and eat say 1600 everyday, regardless of exercise, and see what the scales do. If you do that for an extended time, say 2-3 months (weigh daily) then you will see a trend. You can log the weight on MFP and use the graphs to see if it stays the same or goes up/ down. Then once you have that knowledge, you can adjust it accordingly. Personally I'd hate eating less than that so I'd add more cardio if my goal was weight loss. Remember though, if you are eating in deficit, you are likely to have hungrier days. It just depends HOW hungry you are getting!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    jo_marnes wrote: »
    Thanks for all the good wishes <3

Wow, cross fit is expensive. I can't recall how much it was here in Oz when I looked but I remember thinking it wasn't worth it.

Aigre - another stage is always good to shake things up. I do not miss the SLDL!

Julie - haha yes, I'm a little one - but wasn't always. I started this journey at 75kgs (165lbs).

I'm sure if I had a rack at home I would be squatting better by now.

To those struggling with the scales and/ or progress - I feel that - while I am no expert - having gotten to my goal weight, maintained this for a number of years (up/ down as intended) and increased my strength I may have some words of advice. First up, consistency is key. Both in regards to training and eating. Choose a goal. Stick to one program to get you there. Evaluate frequently (3 mthly works for me). Modify the program as required.

KNOW what your maintenance calories are. Without knowing this, how can you know if you are in deficit etc? Start this by taking an educated guess - online calculators are useful for this. Eat that amount and record how much you weigh on a daily basis for at least 3 months. Yes, boring, but so informative. Our weight varies with our monthly cycles so you want to see what the trend is, not the daily difference. Why keep guessing? FIGURE IT OUT. Then adjust accordingly.

Then factor in goals. If goal is weight loss, eat at deficit and KNOW your calorie burn. MFP way over estimates for me so I used a HR monitor to work it out to start with. Now I know how much I can eat without even having to factor in my workouts - I aim for the same almost every day because my activity is pretty similar each day. And anyway, would certainly be the same over any given week. So if it helps to keep it simple, don't count exercise cals and just use the weight monitoring to decide a daily intake amount.

Frequent review is paramount - this year I dropped my calorie requirement because my job changed and is less physical. I had to factor this in to my plan. Now I want to cut some more body fat so I have dropped my cals again. It took a while to notice a difference (about 6 weeks) but now I'm 9 weeks in and in that time have lost 2% body fat and can SEE the change. Note that my scale weight has only changed a fraction.

It really is about gathering all the info (which takes time) and then using it effectively to achieve your goals. Constant evaluation is crucial, but swapping eating/ exercise plans every few months is only going to make you go back and forwards without really knowing what works.
    Thank you for sharing this!! I really appreciate it! It's oddly comforting that you haven't always been so lean! Wtg!! I admire your patience and perseverance! I do bounce around from plan to plan too much...eating changes mostly. I can't seem to wrap my head around wanting to lose fat or build muscle. I do one for a while, then switch back to the other. But not long enough in either to actually make a lasting difference. Hoping for the elusive recomp, but ending up back where I started 165-170lbs and wishing my jeans were looser!
    I'm now choosing to eat more carbs (scary for me) and focus on adding muscle and strength-but am also seeing the scale wt go up! 5 lbs in the last 2 weeks while being controlled, logging carefully, focused on 130g protein/day, lowish carbs (by normal people standards 100-150g) Scary! I'm making nice strength gains and my lifting is going great!
    It's also a challenge as I'm hypothyroid and not treated yet, Hashimoto's. I'm hoping that is the cause of the gain as I'm averaging under my tdee cals every day. But, it'll still be a few weeks until I see the dr. Sigh. I could be up 10 lbs at that point!
    I love the idea of sticking with a calorie range and giving it time, but I'm sacred to keep gaining. :( As I've gotten older the gains are stickier, they don't leave as easily. LOVE the encouragement to gather the info and take the time to see what your body is really doing. Thank you!

Beeps-((hugs)) wonder if your surgery and recovery have anything to do with it? Hope a dr can help! Like Kimi I can gain 20 lbs in that time, or less, really easily! Totally stinks! Hang in there and hope your plan starts getting you where you want to go!

Kimi-thanks for sharing too! So impressed and love your plan! Thank you for telling me about it. You've done so well! Wtg!! Inspiring!!

I don't do a lot of cardio, hate it in all honesty, and wonder if that would help? I've been down the cardio road before and it never helped me lose, but if I added it to SL of off days maybe? But I hate that I get so sweaty every single day-I have long dry hair and hate washing it and styling it! Isn't that a horrible reason not to work out more? Time consuming and hair damaging, and oh yeah, I hate cardio :(. I've been walking every day, even if only for 15-30 minutes. I enjoy that. Maybe I'll throw a little sprint in there a few times and see how that goes? The dogs won't like that, but they'll adjust ;).

Thanks for letting me mull my thoughts aloud! I don't want to obsess over the scale, but I also don't want to keep gaining. Very frustrating!
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Jo - that's pretty much what I've been doing for the last 9 months...with pretty good results if I do say so myself (went from 167-137 lbs). I didn't really do it so much on purpose but that 1500-1600 seems to be a decent set point for me to be able to lose at a reasonable rate and also not die of hunger. I came at it originally in a much more complicated way of MFP calories and Fitbit calories.

But the frustrating thing is that I feel lately my weight loss is slowing (like 2.5-3 lbs/month instead of 4-5 lbs/month). Which is ok if that's normal. I think I'm eating about the same but doing more cardio than I was 6 months ago. I guess I'm burning less calories since I'm lighter so my deficit isn't as big even though it feels like I'm working harder. I don't think I can increase my cardio without additional time commitment (which would be tough) and affecting my lifting progress, which I arguably already do to some extent.

Anyway, I have been toying with the idea of joining the program that Samntha is doing (Eat to Perform) since she likes it so much and I've also read reviews on other forums about people who love it. It's not a huge investment. But I've so far held off. Maybe when I get to 130 lbs, to knock off those last 10 lbs and get to 120 (my wedding weight). We'll see.

Anyway, I did the first workout of Stage 9 today. OMG, guys! It's killer!
    Strong, Stage 9, Workout #1
    Dumbbell plank rows - 2x8@8 lbs
    Squat: 1x5@50 lbs (warm up), 1x7@77 lbs, 1x10@71 lbs, 1x12@64 lbs (30 sec rest in between sets). I am going to be sore tomorrow!
    Dumbbell dead stop row - 2x6@35 lbs
    RFESS - 2x6@33 lbs - so shaky after the squats
    Push ups - 2x6 off bench
    SL RDL - 2x6@60 lbs

xkcwwgyovxtt.jpg
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    So much to catch up on.

Julie - The last go through was extra. Could have just left it at the same number of reps and weight but for the last round, we tried increase on the ones where I was getting all of the reps well during the other rounds. OHP I didn't quite make the last rep during the third go through so we kept it the same. Trying to tire the muscles some while still keeping the form was interesting. And I just had a headache that brought on the nausea but not sure why. Was okay the yesterday at least.

Aigre - I must not have explained it too well as it's 250-300 a month because it involves a lot of one on one. There is a bigger class that gets up to maybe 18 max but one class they do has a max of 5 and they do a lot of individual work.

Jo - Yeah, crossfit tends to be expensive. Most of the places I've looked up even in Oregon were over 100 a month. Some basically explain it like a hobby as people will spend lots of money on a hobby but I'm not one of those people as I don't have that much spare money ever. And good point on the maintenance calories. That's something I need to work on since I've mostly tried deficit and haven't worked out maintaining.

Weight loss does seem to slow near the end. Plus it's common to see recommendations to work on losing less than a lb a week along with getting a little closer to maintenance even though that often means taking much longer to see progress. The struggle I had when goal was .5 per week loss is that the fluctuations mask progress even easier between hydration, hormones and such. It's definitely more of a challenge when can't see the progress as quick (which is another reason people struggle on recomp too since the visual and scale progress is a little harder to see during). Plus really do need to be more accurate. I should weigh my food and do all of that to ensure my calorie counting is accurate.

Yesterday, went to the gym after work. Don't normally eat that much close to lifting but we had a potluck to celebrate the August birthdays and not much of the food was there until near the end of my shift. Had cookies, little bit of chicken and raspberry chocolate cake. Took almost an hour to get to the gym so it was one of the few times I didn't mind the commute as it gave me a little time to digest but still felt more full than usual during.

squats - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 135 and with belt 4x3 @ 175
    overload - 245 for 20 count with belt
    pause squats - @x3 @ 125
    sumo deadlift - 1x6 @ 135, 1x5 @ 165 and 3x5 @ 185 with belt

Not bad overall. Squats are on the slow side still but felt decent and like I could do a fourth rep, which is good cause next week is same weight but 3x4.

Then, last night, we got all dolled up to go out. Me, sister and roommate went to a "burlesque" show at a small bar. Roommate did my makeup as she has so much from urban decay, MAC and such while I have just a little from places like Walgreens. She also let me borrow a skirt and corset. I've always wanted a corset, since I was 17, so it was fun getting to wear one for the first time. Dressing up was fun but the venue had way too many people in it considering the size and the show wasn't really what we expected from "burlesque". Got to have a couple of beers and later we got taco bell on the way home so definitely ate more than maintenance for sure. I'm not worrying much about calories for the weekend, though today won't be anything special. Tomorrow even though working on my birthday I'm going to get a cupcake or two from Sprinkles then have sushi for dinner. mmmm

Plan is to do a real focus on calories in September then for winter work on maintenance. Need a long mental break from trying to be in a deficit as this summer kind of showed since that was the intended focus but the results show not much of a success.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Julie - sorry to say this but yes, your hair is a crap reason not to do cardio :D Not many people love it (myself included) but it will help you to reach your goals. I only do cardio 2-3 times per week and I do combat because I love it and the music - makes me forget I'm working out! You have to find something you enjoy or you won't keep doing it.

Aigre - that graph trend is amazing! Go you! Of course your calorie needs change as you get lighter and yes, weight loss does slow down. It seems annoying at first that the more success you have, the harder you have to work at shifting those last few lbs. If it's any consolation, I think it took me about 2 years to shift my last few lbs to get to goal weight. And since then, I've put on 10lbs because now I have muscle :D (same size clothes). I think you are starting to get to the point where your focus around working out and diet also has to include fitness goals because it will keep you motivated when the weight is hard to shift. My goals were running based - I did a 6k, 2 x 12k and a 21k race and set myself time goals each time. In the process I lost the last bit of weight.

Now my goals are around fitness (strength) and body fat % because scale weight starts to not mean that much when it comes to body composition. And I only measure body fat because I'm vain and wanna see muscle lol.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Aigre-wow! Great job!! Love the graph! So cool you lost that fast!! Really impressive! Slowing down close to goal is to be expected and I'm sure you'll get all the way to goal! I got the e2p book and am trying to do some version of it. So far I'm up in weight, but also reintroced carbs and upped my weights so hoping it'll come back down soon.

Jo-lol! I know! But it's hard to fit that in on top of the added workout. I'll try to get in some cardio. I know it's good for me. I loved combat! My new gym doesn't have it, but I could try Zumba again. Not as much fun, but still fun :).

Dawn-you've done so well! Taking a bit of time and allowing your body a maintenance break is a good thing! Thanks for explaining, I was lost :).

I'm hungry :(. Gonna go get some street tacos-high protein, low cal yumminess! :)

• Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I started Nrolfw over and I am in stage two. I just bought 300 lbs of weights. It was cheaper than the 120 I had planned on buying. So now I have no excuse - Like I can't make it to the gym. Today's workout consisted of bringing all the weights to the basement.
    Actually I did a workout but it felt like the second workout.
  • DawnEmbers
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Jo - I wanna see muscle too. I keep hoping to get a peak of quad. Some day! hehehe

pmag - nice on the weights. That is quite a workout, moving them around.

I considered going to gym today cause deadlifts on birthday sounds fun but I'm still sore from Friday's squats and sumo deadlifts plus work last night. Don't want to rush around today either as it's a drive in the other direction to gym from work and the cupcake place. Today cupcake more important and tomorrow it will be lifting. I miss cardio too. Need to check out the park cause I do want to train for the half marathon in the near future.

Today is cupcakes and sushi. mmm