Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Jo - sorry you are having a rough week. What was it about powerlifting you didn't like? I agree about cardio helping with stress.

Dawn - Sorry to hear about your hand. Front squats are tough on the wrists. Definitely would be hard to lift on that little of sleep!

First up, front squats shouldn't be tough on the wrists. If they are you are either a) doing it wrong or b) in need of wrist flexibility exercises. Front squats really changed for me when I read an article describing the bas as sitting against your neck (almost like it's choking you). If you do that, the bar is supported by your delts/ pecs. Any further away and you are holding the weight with your wrists too much. Some people don't have the flexibility to get their wrists in the supporting position however - this can be improved using flexibility exercises or using the 'cross arm' style hold (I tried this and hated it!).

What was it about power lifting I didn't like? Honestly, all stupid things that are really a reflection on my own anxieties than anything else. Firstly, dealing with the fact that I am so not strong enough. Secondly, the thought of lifting in front of an audience made my throat wanna close up. Third, I just didn't feel like they were 'my people' - which is really shallow but I just felt like I'd find a connection and be able to talk to people. I dunno. It's odd coz the guy who is/ was going to coach me I got on with fine. Maybe it was just how the other things were making me feel. I just felt like the odd one out and much smaller than everyone there.

Anyway, I told the coach how I felt. He was pretty disappointed that the comp didn't have the opposite effect on me. He reckons he can see potential in me, but then I don't know if that's just a line to get clients, haha. I'm still considering doing the training - for them to put me a program together it's not too expensive. And I have nothing else to do right now. I just told him I won't be competing. So we'll see. Still got 6 weeks of this cut to go so won't be starting anything before that.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Interesting!

Dawn-are you eating well? Wondering if the headaches could be from that? Hope they subside!

Welcome back Aigre! Glad you had a nice weekend :)

Beeps-glad you liked the trainer! Nice variety you've got going there!

Jo-you'll find your niche. Maybe run their program to build strength and see where you get?

I rested today, sore but happy :). Lifting tomorrow :smiley: squats, deads, Ohp and will probably throw in leg press and whts :)

Have a good one! I'm eating a soft pretzel - yum!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Aigre - Nice workout and good on the run too. I haven't done a long run in a while, just treadmill work as need to find a park that is safe enough. Hopefully it cools down a little too even if it doesn't get cold in winter here.

Jo - It's more my hand than my wrist. I have issues with the right one and even had some struggled picking picking up certain items when working at the register. I've had it get aggravated before just from using tongs in a deli where for a couple of days it was a struggle just to lift a coffee pot. Luckily it doesn't act up much, but aching isn't uncommon. I can't write by hand, like with a pen or pencil, without it bothering me a little after a couple of sentences. Though I do need to work a little on the flexibility too but seems to be doing better than when I first had to try front squats during NROLFW.

Julie - I'm doing a little better with the food. When I try and do more low calorie, sometimes my fats get too low on accident so I have to work on that. Working on a few things and hoping that helps get rid of the headaches.

Today I was lazy this morning, plus had an online newsletter due, so I went to the gym after work. While it means for a late night, I do like lifting after work and plus so much less traffic after 11 pm on the highway and in the gym.

Warmups: band pull apart 3x10, bench 2x10 @ 45 and 1x8 @ 65

CTE Time test (one minute)
    bench 12 @ 85 (should note can set it back and pause during minute test then keep going)
    assisted pull ups 10
    tricep pushdown 18 @ 35
    seated row 16 @ 72.5

bench 3x6 @ 85
    assisted pulls ups 3x5
    tricep pushdown 3x9 @ 35
    seated row 3x8 @ 72.5

20 minute jog on treadmill

Made it to day off too. After five days of working, I get a day off, then work a day before getting two days off. Lots to do during that time including gather quarters and do laundry. I miss having a washer and dryer in the apartment.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!

Dawn - yes the cooler weather makes outside running so much more pleasurable! I'm sure there must be somewhere in LA that is safe, right? Hope your headache is better, those are miserable, and get some more sleep!

Julie - yum, pretzels! Hope you had an awesome workout!

Jo - Oh, I know front squats shouldn't be hard on wrists, but they are for me. I haven't quite figured them out, I confess. I don't lack in wrist flexibility, but I am a total weenie about my hands/wrists as I use them for work. I feel like the part of the problem is that I have no delts/pecs to speak of, so couldn't ever find that natural shelf that the guys in the videos seem to have.

Beeps - I don't mind cardio, just think of it as extra calories to eat! Hope you have fun with your trainer!

Anyway, feeling a little sore in all the right places from yesterday's session - glutes, hamstrings, abs. Feel like it's got to be working now.

I ran 3.2 miles this morning. Saw my friend the skunk again, not even 5 feet away by the side of the road. Just out of the beam of my flashlight so I didn't even notice him until he moved away. Eek! Also think I saw an owl. Not really digging the dark running but I guess that will be reality until spring. I am fighting going back to the treadmill, but may have to. At least the weather has cooled.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,004 Member
    Options
    jo_marnes wrote: »

What was it about power lifting I didn't like? Honestly, all stupid things that are really a reflection on my own anxieties than anything else. Firstly, dealing with the fact that I am so not strong enough. Secondly, the thought of lifting in front of an audience made my throat wanna close up. Third, I just didn't feel like they were 'my people' - which is really shallow but I just felt like I'd find a connection and be able to talk to people. I dunno. It's odd coz the guy who is/ was going to coach me I got on with fine. Maybe it was just how the other things were making me feel. I just felt like the odd one out and much smaller than everyone there.

I think I would feel exactly the same way.
  • Beeps2011
    Options

I rested today, sore but happy :). Lifting tomorrow :smiley: squats, deads, Ohp and will probably throw in leg press and whts :)

Have a good one! I'm eating a soft pretzel - yum!

BOOM!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Nice lifting, Dawn and Aigre!

....a skunk would scare me, Aigre!!

No lifting for me, today. Full-blown work day. Super-stiff in the quads anyway....still from Monday's workout. Tomorrow is "leg/glute" day, so this could be challenging! BOOM!

• jo_marnes
    Options
    Ugh, I need to stop abusing my body. If it's not exercise it's wine lately. So now today is DL and cardio day on a hangover. Sigh.

I have revised my schedule to end cut in 3 weeks - body will not hold out for longer without losing strength I don't reckon. Plus the low cals is making me make bad choices at the end of the day.

I am going to get body fat measured and then start my powerlifting program. Booked in to start that on the 28th. Though that's a whole new can of worms with the coach pretty much wanting to jump me... I just have challenges coming at me from all angles atm :/

• Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Jo-what? Your coach wants to jump you? That doesnt sound like a good fit!! Hope things settle down and you're able to finish your cut and eat more! When I did some alternate day fasting a month or 2 ago it really messed with my head, binge eating and such. You're wise to cut it short.

Beeps-Hope lifting goes well tomorrow and you're less sore :)

Aigre-good job running and glad the skunk is letting you go by without incident! I hate the treadmill too :(

Dawn-good, eating will certainly help! Hope you get a lot done on your day off :).

I lifted today, and it was good! Added weight to all my lifts, did calves and WHTs. I felt great!! I was in a crummy frustrated mood and lifting made it all better! :heart: my weight belt helped with deadlifts a lot!! Not sure it'll be worth it on my squats, still fiddling around with positioning, but definitely good for dls, :)

Have a good night all!
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Eeek, Jo, what the *kitten*? Doesn't sound like a good coach! I do agree with ending your cut early if you are suffering though. You are already very lean!

Beeps - hope you have an awesome workout!

Julie - nice work adding weight!

I did Strong, Stage 9, Workout B #2 today
    Windmills - can't get the hang of it. felt like it was working my shoulder. Don't like the ab exercises in this stage at all.
    OHP drop sets
    1x5@33 lbs (warm up)
    1x5@46.5 lbs
    1x7@42 lbs (AMRAP)
    1x7@40.5 lbs (AMRAP)
    Pushups off bench - 1x6, 1x10 arms just kind of dead after OHPs
    SL RDL - 2x10@55 lbs
    Chin ups - 2x4 with 75lb resistance band assist.
    RFESS - 2x10@33 lbs

Anyway, it's almost Friday, yeay!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Wow, jo_m....it would be a tangle to have a coach who doesn't "get" professional boundaries...

My lifting pretty much sucked. My back is really, really sore. But, yesterday I worked 20 hours straight (from 5:00 am to 1:00 am) and have only had 4 hours sleep....so, I only did 2 x 8 and eventually just wandered off and didn't even stretch.

I did have a nice long hot shower, though!

Tomorrow I might just go for a walk....
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Hey Beeps, I have a sore back too. I pulled my lat doing DLs yesterday which was a result of having already got a small twinge and then just carrying on anyway because I'm not very good at knowing what's best for me - ugh. So now I'm icing and taking ibuprofen and fed up coz DLs are my fave and won't be able to do them now for a while. I can feel it from mid central back all the way round to my ribs so I don't even think I can combat today. Big sulk. :(

Yeah the coach thing..... is turning into a tangle.

Julie - I've never tried a belt. What was it that helped exactly?

Aigre - do different abs exercises if those aren't for you. Good work on the OHP - I'm still happily avoiding them lol
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    jo_marnes wrote: »

I think I would feel exactly the same way.

ME three!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Busy busy ladies here.
    Jo-I'd skip on the power-lifting too at least competition wise. Lift for you girl!
    Dawn-Hope you can get some rest. I LOVE working out at night. Less crowded and then I sleep like a rock.
    Beeps- hey girl!! Don't forget to get some rest tooDon't push yourself so hard you make yourself sick or worse. Great getting out there and getting it done.
    Great lifting Aigre and Julie!

I'm back to school this week. Looking forward to an awesome year. I've been at a deficit for 9 weeks. I think I have one more before my coaches move me to maintenance. I had a great workout yesterday. I was expecting to be sore and have my weight up a bit with glycogen, but my weight was done. In fact my weight has been down everyday I hit my set macros. When I say down, we're talking .2-.5lbs, but every bit helps. If I'm down again tomorrow, it'll be a new lowest weight :)

Strong Stage 3 WO A2:
    SA-Deadlift 3x45;
    Inc. DB BP 3x30dbs;
    Ele. Split Squat 3x20dbs;
    X- half-kneel-pulldown 3x12
    In case I haven't said so, I love the 4 set super-set.

I can't how much ETP is doing for me. And FUN!! We have a challenge going on right now. We get points for certain goals (macros, sleep, steps, workouts) and then achievements for doing anything that makes your life or the world a better place. Everyday the coaches issue a fun challenge. So far we've done, random acts of kindness, Online sing-a-long (scary fun), say "I love you" and gratitude. You have never seen a newsfeed so full of absolute positivity in your life.

Sleep, I've learned, is vital. All summer I got 7-9 hours a night and was crazy productive. Now I'm back at work and praying to eek out 7 and I'm less productive. Imagine that.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aigre - There are a couple of parks but I haven't really been to them and need to check them out before I do much in them at earlier hours. Griffith is a big one but again, finding which part of it, parking and all of that jazz first.

Jo - Sounds like a lot of craziness going on and hope things get stemmed down a little. Also, hope your lat improves soon.

Sam - Thanks. I've slept enough as been lazy every morning I don't have a morning shift. Nice work on the deficit and getting ready for maintenance. I keep messing mine up, need to work on that.

Beeps - Hope your back feels better and you get some good rest.

Lazy this morning so stayed in bed longer than necessary but still got a couple of things done online before going in for the afternoon shift. Went to gym afterwards, which wasn't too bad. Did have a headache yet again. Managed to lift through it and this time I managed to get what I tried last week with the squats. Food didn't go well today. Ate too much but eh, it happens. I'm planning things out to try and get better on this deficit. Need to grocery shop tomorrow.

squats - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 135
    with belt - 2x4 @ 175 and 2x3 @ 185
    overload with belt @ 245 for 20 count
    pause squat - 1x4 @ 125 and 1x3 @ 135

Skipped sumo deadlift tonight. Could have worked out more cause yeah, but headache and the noise, etc. Decided to go home. Have the next two days off, so that is a plus. Get to work on other things plus might do upper body tomorrow, pending how things go.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Jo - I hope you're ok? What the hell is the trainer playing at?!
    Aigre - You are doing really really well, don't sweat the ab stuff, I'm sure it would not be detrimental to switch to a different ab exercise if the new ones don't agree with you?
    Sam - You're a great inspiration to me. My nutrition (well everything at the moment, but usually only nutrition) is so bad. I seem to have no willpower whatsoever.
    Dawn - Great to see you back in the swing of things
    Beeps - I hope your back is feeling better, I am constantly working on my back and it's aches and pains

I haven't made it back to the gym yet, but am almost over this horrendous cold that's wiped me out for over a week now.

I have had a lot of things on my plate (nothing to worry about, or anything "serious"), but hopefully I should have everything sorted out by the end of next week.

My exam is on the 26th September so whatever I can do training and nutrition wise until then I will take, but as soon as that is over I can throw myself back into training.

There's a powerlifting meet near me on the 26th November which I might go to just to see what it is like, I am not sure about competing, but at least if I go I will get the feeling one way or the other. I don't think there are that many meets near me each year so would certainly have a long time to prepare if I needed.

Keep on traning ladies, you're all doing great x
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Stephie - glad you're feeling better! Going to a powerlifting meet sounds fun, just to see what it's like.

Dawn - lazy mornings are such a luxury! Enjoy them! Hardly ever happens for me as the kids get up before 6 most mornings.

Samntha - Good for you enjoying ETP so much! I have really been on the fence about it thanks to your recommendation and some other reviews I have read. I just need to figure out the right time to pull the trigger.

Jo - bummer on the lat injury. Hope it heals quickly!

Beeps - yeah, the lack of sleep would definitely affect me too!

Anyway, I ran this morning 3.1 miles. No skunks! But hot and humid still. Not-so-patiently waiting for fall.

Happy Friday everyone!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Agre-I'm in a similar boat with ETP. I bought the book and like it, but haven't paid for the monthly and more personal support. Sam masks me want to jump all in! I'm with you impatiently awaiting Fall!! KUTGW running skunk less!! :)
    Sam-so you joined the personal coaching part on the ETP site? So you just do a cross fit type of workout now? Sorry to keep asking you so many questions :). So happy for you!! Love it! Hope you can sleep in this weekend :)
    Dawn-good job with your squats! Sorry the headaches continue...hope you can figure them out :(. Eating more is probably a good thing. Not gonna be a daily thing, but sometimes you need to refeed a bit. :)
    Jo-I struggle with my lower back too, especially on deadlifts. I've had that twinge/spasm too many times, with an underlying compressed disc that will always be with me. The belt helped me feel safer, like I had something to push against if needed while bracing my back, and I had no pain or soreness after doing DLs. Which is awesome! Hang in there! Your back will heal and you'll build back up. I've been there so many times, and feel like ill inevitably be there again!
    Beeps-(((hugs))) so sorry about your back too :(. I have had that and hate it! Try to hang in there and let it heal.
    Steph-the 26th will be here before you know it! You're doing great, but having more time will certainly be great!

Scale still up higher than I'd like, but my size 8 pants fit well this week and I got 2 compliments on being thinner too. Hmmm, go figure. Most of my jeans are still tighter than I'd like and there is some definite muffin top I hate, so I'll need to look at cutting cals a bit more, but I finally see the endocrinologist on Monday, so maybe that'll help too?
    Happy weekend all! I lift tomorrow-yay!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Stephie - really hope you get feeling much better soon. The meets can be interesting to watch, at least to see what the ones are like. I don't know how much they vary on region as just been to the ones in Oregon but might have to find one nearby to check out.

Aigre - so I hear on the lazy mornings. Unfortunately, I don't get enough done so really need to get up in the morning.

Julie - Thanks, today was better head day though not great on the stomach. One thing or the other, always something. Nice that the pants are fitting and the compliments. I had that sometimes during when I was working more on losing weight. The scale wouldn't be moving but that was when I'd get comments on looking smaller.

It is nice to not go in to work for a couple of days. Slept in on purpose this time instead of planning to get up and failing. Then did some work with sister though we only got a couple of orders done as she got something else going so I came back home and instead did the adult thing, I did my laundry. It was well over due. Nice to have all my workout clothes and socks clean again. Did some grocery shopping too. Ate better today as didn't ever almost 1,000 before 2 pm. Even with eating Jack in the Box, it was better. Well, just had two tacos no cheese from there. Stomach got upset today though both after lunch and in workout couple of hours after dinner. Both inconvenient times is that I was at the grocery store when it started to get cranky for the first time and on the treadmill jogging for the second time. No fun. Only did a two minute walk after my jog cause yeah, stomach wasn't happy. Other than that, not a bad day. Still have a lot to do and many ideas formulating in my head.

Upper Body CTE

Warm up: 5 minutes elliptical, 3x10 band pull aparts, bench 2x10 @ 45 and 1x9 @ 65
    Time for 1 minute: bench - 85 x 14, bent over row 80 x 14, overhead tricep 20 x 18, face pull 35 x 20
    bench 3x7 @ 85
    bent over row 3x7 @ 80
    overhead tricep 3x9 @ 20
    face pull 3x10 @ 35

Then for fun cable bicep curls 3x10 @ 30 and a 30 minute jog on treadmill.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Ugh I am so fed up. My back is real sore. I got through upper body by swapping out rows and lat pull downs but can't even pick up dumbbells from the floor with my right arm.

I tried to do combat - can only use one arm

I am done. Fed up. Body is wrecked with me abusing it with stress exercise and not enough food. Cut ends this week. Recovery is due. I logged 29 workouts in August and I have done more than 10 thus far into September (with cardio plus lifting). Why do I never see the warning signs? Although actually I do, I'm just good at ignoring them.

This week will be recovery. If I post anything about working out, please hunt me down and b***h slap me