Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I got side swiped by gastro.... ugh. Got one day of lifting back in after 3 days of nothing. Then spent 30 hours in bed.

Now recovering. Today has mostly been about carbs lol. Annoyed as had to skip my meeting at powerlifting club. So I guess I am being forced into an extended recovery period..... will have to see how energy goes this week.

On the plus side, back seems greatly improved after so much time in bed. Still not right but massively better than anticipated.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Jo - sorry to hear you were sick. I think gastro is the worst feeling in the world. Glad you are resting and feeling better though!

Dawn - I think planning is super essential to maintaining a deficit. So hard though!

Julie - squatting 135 is really really good!

Beeps - I think I'm going to try Strong Curves for a bit. Just to change things up a bit. Then maybe Strong Lifts after that. We'll see.

Anyway, sorry to be MIA but had a busy weekend.

Lifted Saturday, Strong Stage 9, Workout C #3
    Suspended pikes 2x8
    Deadlifts:
    Warm up 1x5@103 lbs
    1x3@152 lbs
    1x7@136 lbs
    1x10@125 lbs
    That was a lot of deadlifting (for me).
    I sort of forgot the weights of the other stuff at this point. It was basically 2x6 of pushups, inverted rows, SL RDL and RFESS.

Sunday I ran 5 miles.

Today I did Strong, Stage 9, Workout A #4
    This starts a recovery week, so the instruction is 2-3x5 of the weight you used for a 7RM in week 1.
    Dumbbell plank rows - 2x8@8 lbs
    Squats - 1x5@55 lbs, 3x5@77 lbs
    Bench press - 2x10@55 lbs
    SL RDL - 2x10@55 lbs
    Inverted row - 2x10
    RFESS - 2x10@33 lbs

Anyway, I have 2 workouts left of Strong but won't finish before I leave for a long weekend on Friday night. So I'll finish on Monday or Tuesday, hopefully. Then start Strong Curves in the middle of a week which is just annoying. My DH is out of town starting tomorrow and all of next week, so I already know nutrition is going to be a huge struggle. I'm just crossing my fingers that I can keep relatively on track.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,007 Member
    Options
    Yuck, jo....feel better.

Aigre - I did enjoy the Strong Curves workouts...I didn't like lugging the book around, so eventually just photocopied the pages I needed.

Worked late last night and up early - had NO zip or pep for a workout...just worked all day, instead. So, I am zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

BUT I GOT MY HORMONES TODAY!!

So, HRT-virginity ends TONIGHT....cannot WAIT! BOOM!
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Beeps - yeay on the HRT, I hope you are feeling much better soon! You reminded me I need to print the Strong Curves logs.

Ran 3.1 miles this morning. Pace has picked up quite a bit lately, not sure if it's the cooler weather or I'm getting more fit. Averaging <11 min/mile recently which is fast for me. DH left this morning so no running outside for me for a few weeks :(
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Aigre-good for you picking up the pace! Great job and consistency on your running and lifting! Now that you're almost done Strong, what are your thoughts? Favorite and least favorite parts? You're doing great!

Beeps-Hope the hormones treat you well!!

Jo-((hugs)) hope you're feeling better! Glad your back got a rest! Hope you continue to listen to your body!

I'm doing great!! Hit my goal today!!! 135lb squats 5x5!!! And I think I can keep going heavier!! Yay!! And DL @135lbs too :). Yay! My lower back feels fine too! That's HUGE for me!! OHP failed at rep 5 @65lbs, but that's still way better than it was earlier this year. So yay all around! Feeling excited to lift again!! :smiley:
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Julie - awesome!! Isn't it great when things are working?!

Aigre - I can't sympathise on the running. My stress is lower, I have no desire to run now lol. Glad you are enjoying improvement though - pace is hard to increase

Beeps - enjoy ;)

Ok, my body says train! I've only done one workout in a WHOLE WEEK so I am up early to train before going back to work after 5 days away..... hopefully a refreshed start all round.

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies. Things have been nothing but crazy at work. I haven't settled into a routine yet and it's driving me crazy. Needless to say, I've lost two pounds in three weeks and that's just from running up and down the stairs at work ALL DAY. I counted, it's 1250 stairs, half up, half down. As my coach would say, LISS is no joke, especially since I didn't get to the gym at all in seven days. Seriously, I slept through most of the weekend. I didn't hit my goals this past week and that was disappointing, but the scale seems to be my friend.

Dawn, congrats on the Nephew.

Beeps, hope the hormones work out for you.

Jo, I know the feeling. I hope getting to the gym tonight will wake me up and make me feel better.

Julie, congrats on the PR. How are things going for you?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Aigre - Nice work on the lifting and run. I might find a way to get outside now that it's cooler and does seem easier to run in compared to heat. Also curious how you feel overall on the Strong program.
    Beeps - Sounds tiring, all that work. I also hope the hormones help.
    Jo - Nice that you can get back to things and are feeling a little better. I hope it goes well.
    Julie - Congrats! That is awesome.
    Sam - Thanks. That LISS is indeed no joke, especially when stairs are involved. I filled in at a store where the break and stock rooms were upstairs, just that small flight took effort each time.

Last night's shift at work was rough so didn't go to gym after. Had the evening shift, which is normally fine but we were understaffed again. We had a cashier up front and in wine/spirits, one cosmetics person and me, the only one working the floor and to cover breaks plus when the lines got too big and still to finish putting away freight. Yeah... Someone didn't schedule well because morning had a lot of people working and evening was rough. Made it through but clocked out 15 minutes late then had a little traffic on way home due to construction so didn't bother with the gym. Plus, I have two days off in a row so will get enough gym time.

Since don't have work today I went to the gym mid-day instead of at night and actually trained upper body. Though early on in the lifting, the fire alarms went off. It wasn't any reason from our section of building so we ended up just going back to lifting even though it was a little while before the alarms finally stopped. They are doing construction on one of the buildings in the little shopping complex so that was probably the cause.

Just did random working around three lifts at a time, circuit like, until the last couple where I just did the two. I hadn't eaten since last night at 8 pm and only drank some coffee with a bit of creamer earlier this morning. Not the best plan. Got a little winded/dizzy at the end of the lifting, so only did 2 sets instead of 3 for the hip thrusts cause had to rest and part of it was just my stomach was having issues and the weight right on my hips didn't sit well so to speak. I felt better quick but still walked instead of jogging on the treadmill.

Stopped at In & Out on the way home as sister wanted that or Taco Bell and I didn't feel like burritos yet again. Tad pricier but was nice to have a plain burger and some fries. mmm food

assisted pull up machine - 1x3 @ 25 and 3x6 @ 40
    tricep pushdown - 4x10 @ 35
    cable bicep curl - 4x10 @ 35

incline db bench press - 3x8 @ 30
    one arm db row - 3x8 @ 35
    lateral raise - 3x10 @ 10

one arm db snatch - 3x5 @ 30
    hip thrust 2x8 @ 90

60 minute walk on treadmill

Tomorrow will include attempting 205 squat for 1 rep, which will be a new PR if I get it. Definitely eating more than 1400 and going to have food before lifting for that. Can't wait to see if I can get it this time.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Quick check in - you're doing really well with all the issues going on right now!

Aigre - congrats on almost completing Strong, you've done so well!
    Dawn - eeek, good luck with 205!!!!!
    Sam - sure it will calm down soon and you can get back into your routine
    Jo - hope training went ok
    Beeps - good luck with hormones!
    Julie - congrats on squats and deads :) more to come I'm sure.

Exam on Monday so nearly time for me to get back into the gym and everything, so that's good.

Also got a new job :) but have 3 month notice period to work here first, so starting in Jan! It's in a different town so will need to find a new gym and everything, a little daunting but I'm excited. It's more money and more responsibility so hopefully it's a good career move! X
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Training was hard. I am weak! Sigh

Will take it *reasonably* easy trying to ease back into things. This week is mostly just off plan stuff, waiting for my new program.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Jo - you are not weak!! Not even close!

Stephie - good luck on your exam and congrats on the new job!

Dawn - sorry to hear about your busy shift, but good luck on the 205. Wow, that is impressive!

Samntha - yes, up and down flights of stairs sure is exercise! Hope work calms down a little soon.

Julie - great progress! It wasn't that long ago that you wrote that you didn't think you'd ever deadlift over 100 and here you are at 135!

I did manage to get my workout in this morning despite DH being gone and having a rotten night of sleep without him.

Strong, Stage 9, Workout B #4
    Suspended jackknifes - 1x10, 1x9
    OHP - 1x5@33 lbs (warm up), 3x5@45 lbs
    Push ups 1x6, 1x8 it is tough doing these right after OHPs
    SL RDL 2x10@55 lbs
    Chin ups 1x5, 1x4 with 75 lb assist band
    RFESS - 2x10@33 lbs

Gosh, only one more workout to go. Geez! Anyway, I am sort of unqualified to give an expert opinion on Strong, since I haven't done any other programs. When I was starting to think about lifting I was a bit intimidated by Strong Lifts, and it seemed mostly targeted towards men. I didn't know how to do the lifts yet so I was worried about just trying them out and then continuously adding weight to the bar. I didn't like the marketing of Strong Curves - the message seemed to be "get more sexy" which is not what I was going for. But more or less I thought Strong was a good value since it had 9 months of workouts and was the newest. So that's why I picked it.

I have definitely gained a lot of strength through the 9 months. I've also lost almost 30 lbs, which is unrelated to the program really. I don't know that I've put on any muscle. [I don't think I have any particular talent or genetic gift towards weight lifting or gaining muscle. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I were below average in those things. So YMMV].

In retrospect, the way that Alwyn uses different variations of exercises and different rep ranges was good experience as a new lifter, but maybe hindered progress or perception of progress at times. I think that's where a program like Strong Lifts excels. But I did like how he takes a beginner through a bunch of variations of an exercise before giving you the full blown one. As an example, starting off with goblet squats and front squats and pause squats and box squats before he lets you load up a full off back squat. I think this helps a beginner keep the loads reasonable in the beginning to get the technique down. Though, as I said before, it can feel like you aren't getting stronger at squatting when one day you do front squats in sets of 10, then next month you do pause squats in sets of 8, etc.

But all in all, I feel pretty well prepared to continue on this journey. I can see how doing this program for a second time could even be pretty beneficial. I think if I did another 9 months of it, I would improve form and strength even more. I may do that at some point. It would be easier to note progress on the second go around, cause I could compare it to the first.

But for now I think I'll take a turn of Strong Curves, just to get a sense of what it's like. I am going to do the beginner program, but I will NOT write "bootyful beginnings". I may move on to Strong Lifts after that, since Strong Curves definitely doesn't have the emphasis on the big lifts that Strong Lifts does, and I want to see where that takes me now.

I still have one more workout left, though! And I am SO frustrated I won't get to it until Monday or Tuesday. Gah!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Sooooooooo tired. Told myself I need only go to the gym for 20 minutes. Do 1 set.

Instead, I stayed for 70 minutes, completed leg/abs/shoulders day - 4 sets of the first in each series and then 3 sets for the remainder. Good stretch.

BOOM!

Oh, and I have only had 2 days of HRT, but have lost 1 LB. This may sound RIDICULOUS...but, I have been weighing, measuring, and logging my food since Aug. 24th. And, today, FINALLY, I lost ONE POUND.

I don't care if my HRT has some voo-doo placebo effect....just move the bodyfat OFF ME, for f-sakes!!!!

BOOM!
  • samntha14
    Options
    I went to the gym last night and killed my workout. Moved up weights in all lifts, and got my back squat back up to 90lbs and still going. I should max out by workout 6.
    Alternate side planks
    Box squat 3x8@80, 85, 90
    SL RDL 3x8@35dbs
    SA Deadstop 3x8@35db
    Decline Push-up 3x8 bench

Of course, I ended up staying up late last night and crashed this afternoon. I took a three-hour nap and could barely get through the evening. Blew my macros for the day because I planned for the wrong day.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Jo - yes, ease back in and for sure, you're strong woman.
    Aigre - sucks on the sleep and all but way to get it done at the gym.
    Beeps - nice work at the gym. Sometimes just getting there to do a little is all it takes for more to come. I sometimes do the same with writing. Just one paragraph or 250 words, it's easy enough but often I can write more once I get going.
    Sam - Great work on the lifting. 3 hour nap sounds close to my early morning stay in bed. Rest can be good though.

So, yeah. Had today off from work too and was planning to get up then get stuff done. Well, I went back to bed after alarm went off, spent some time on the heating pad and basically didn't get up until noon. Then spent some time watching anime on youtube cause why not. Did manage to get some writing though. Have chapter 10 started and might try to write a little before going to bed even though I have the early morning shift tomorrow.

On the plus side, I have a new one rep max on squats. Managed to get the 205 tonight. Yay! It was busy at the gym too considering it was night and a small gym. Bunch of guys around but never see many go for the squat rack so had it unbothered as I made my attempts.In the peak cycle I have the goal set at 215 so for the next couple of weeks it's rough waters but will see what happens.

squat warm up - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135, with belt 1x3 @ 175
    squat with belt - 3x1 @ 205!
    overload with belt - 275 for 20 count (wow that feels heavy, surprised I can un-rack it even)
    pause squat - 1x1 @ 155
    cable kickback - 3x8 @ 20 per leg

walked 25 minutes on treadmill

• jo_marnes
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words ladies - really helps to have a supportive network, even if we are spread all over the world :)

Dawn - wow! Epic. Video please!

Sam and Beeps - killing it! Great work

Aigre - you've definitely caught the lifting bug - hurrah!

I did legs today.... should have been DL day but back still not awesome. Did actually do some teeny (literally 30kg) DLs which were fine. Relieved because last week I couldn't even contemplate that so progress is being made. Honestly though, it'll be a long time before going heavy again. So, I will swallow my pride and stick to some form practice so that I can nail it when I get back to really pushing my body. I also did some single leg DLs which were hard coz I haven't done them for AGES and balance was tricky. Also did leg press and squats and now my hamstrings are tight as...... will have to spend some time with the foam roller tonight.

Tomorrow I will test the back with combat..... not done that for almost 3 weeks - killing me!!
  • AigreDoux
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Jo - glad the back is healing! Good for you for not jumping in too quickly.

Dawn - Congrats on 205! Would love a video too!

ETA: Found the video on IG. Woohoo! WTG strong lady!

Samntha - great workout on little sleep and all! Hope your nap caught you up on sleep!

Beeps - glad the HRT seems to be helping!

Anyway, woke up this morning and really didn't want to get on the treadmill. Had a million excuses (would wake the kids, too hot inside, TV not working, etc) but read Beeps's post and decided I just needed to get on for a little bit. Did 2 miles, which isn't as far as I would have gone outside but still better than nothing.

Heading to the beach today, have a great weekend everyone!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You guys are rocking it! Way to go strong and committed ladies!

Beeps-yay! Placebo or not, it's working!! Hooray! KUTGW!
    Aigre-almost there. Sorry for the delay but you're doing great! Thanks for the feedback on strong! I appreciate your input! :)
    Dawn-Wtg!! Dang girl! Get it! :smiley:
    Jo-good for you listening to your body. Skipping dls or at least de-loading them for a while it hard, I've done that most of this past year :(. But I'm finally back at them and adding weight each lift, so know you will get back to where you were and then some! Glad the other part of your workouts are coming together, :).
    Sam-good job on the lifting! Sorry for the sleep and blown macros-I did that the other day! I am liking the plan and loving the impact it's having on my lifting! Gaining weight sucks, but I'm hoping it'll stop and turn around soon!!
    Stephe-great news! Congratulations on the new job! You're doing so well keeping it all going! Busy time! KUTGW!

Where'd Kimi go? Oh yeah, Florida! Hope she is having fun state side! And how's Pudding doing? Check in if you can ladies!

I'm doing well, great lifting today again! Past all my previous PRs and am enjoying all this new territory! I even upped my bench-which has NEVER gotten above 70lba, and sometimes required a spot at that! Today 5x5@75lbs, no spot, all good! And squat was 140lbs 5x5, and I can likely add more!! Woohoo! Added some assisted pull ups at the end, sad, but worth working on!!

Weight up, 4 lbs in the past few weeks since I started ETP. Not awful, but not the direction I'd like to go. I am trying to get up to TDEE, and am almost there, and would like my weight to stabilize. Sigh. But man, eating more sure does help my strength!! Ha! Duh! That's a definite plus!! :smiley:

Have a good weekend all!
  • samntha14
    Options
    I'm still exhausted. My hypersomnia is flaring.
    Julie weight gain is common especially for people adjusting from either low cal or low carb diets. It'll come off fast. Just remember that it's not actual fat. I'm going to see if I can get my BF zapped at the gym this weekend. Nothing busts your progress bubble like pants that fit a little snug.

This too shall come Jo. Lifting low weight until your back feels better is a good plan.

Nice PR Dawn!!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I might put together something for youtube with the clip as I did film the first set. However, for now there is just the video post I made on instagram (fiction2fitness).

Jo - step by step, you'll get back. And it is nice to do something you hadn't done in a while. The one arm db snatch were ones I hadn't done since NROLFW and it was a little awkward at first but also nice to try out again.
    Julie - yay for new territory.
    Aigre - hope you had fun at the beach.
    Sam - hope you get some rest soon.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    nice squatting, Dawn.

Nice workouts everyone, and yes, jo_m, rolling is RELIEF.

Fourth night of HRT tonight....hot flashes are still going strong....I hope this stuff kicks in and SOON!

i have a 70-hour work week this week....