Daily Chat Thread

Replies

• StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Jo - sorry your kids were still up. That's one great thing about having a toddler - after 7pm she is in bed and I have some freetime!

Dawn - I'm sure you'll get 265 sometime soon. If you got it off the floor that's an awesome start and like you said, after a later start it might get all the way

Beeps - I would definitely outsource if I wanted to. I'm kinda lucky in that Christmas Day (I think the English Christmas lunch is super similar to your Thanksgiving food) is just me, hubs and daughter. We love having our day to ourselves and see family around that time (the day after Christmas Day is also a big holiday in England).

Julie - I cannot stand cardio!! The only thing I enjoy is a DVD like Turbofire or something. Which actually is a good idea, but a bit tricky to fit into my already hectic life!

Aigre - Hope you found your trendsheet!!

Gym went really well today:

Squats : 5x5 @ 55kg felt pretty good, going to do 60 next time and then will slow back down to 2.5kg a session like I'm supposed to
    OHP: 5x5 @ 25kg - erm, these were hard!!!! I used to be able to knock out 5x5 @ 30kg no issue, even get a few at 32.5, bleugh
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 70kg - at least this was easy. Forgot to video though as my gym friend walked in and I hadn't seen her in months so we had lots to catch up on

My resignation at work is public knowledge now, so it's starting to feel really real that I am moving jobs!! Got lots to do before January - need new clothes as they are casual there and I don't think I can rock up in a band shirt and jeans! Also need to find my new gym, and figure out how the hell I'm going to have dinner ready for 6pm!!
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Stephie - nice workout! So good to see you back in the routine. Changing jobs is hard - we moved 10 hours away in July 2015 and both got new jobs and it was super stressful. I gained a lot of weight :(

Jo - that's a lot of working out!

Dawn - you'll get the 265 soon!

Beeps - glad Anne made your Thanksgiving stress free!

Julie - thanks! I did finally get access to my trend sheet. It took forever for them to add me to the Facebook group, not sure why. Today is my first day of logging after a ~3 week maintenance break. I am still a little confused by the whole thing but maybe will be more clear when I can see the spreadsheet better on my work computer with a bigger monitor.

Anyway, Saturday I did Workout C of Strong Curves. I added some weight to some things that called for bodyweight, like squats and RDLs, and finally was feeling some glute DOMS the next day.

Yesterday I wanted to run but it rained all day. Almost made it on the treadmill (dressed and sneakers tied and headphones on) when I was needed by the family. Oh well.

Today made sure I got up and out and got in 5 miles before DH left for work. Holiday for me so took the kids to a pumpkin patch/hayride. Now have some turkey butternut squash black bean chili in the pressure cooker for tonight and chilling while the kids nap.

Happy Columbus Day, everyone!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 656 Member
    Aigre-good job fitting it all in! Glad you to the trend sheet to work. I still feel like I'm missing a lot of stuff, challenges etc., but the recommendations seem solid. If I wasn't a hypo mess I expect I'd have done better with it. Brad is encouraging me to stick with it but I can't keep gaining. It's really frustrating!

Stephe-crock pot! A few minutes in the morning and dinner awaits you when you get home. :) hope the new job transition goes smoothly! I'm sure it's hectic! Good job on the lifting! And fellow cardio haters unite!

Beeps-glad you had a good holiday :).

Dawn-frustrating at work :(, but you'll nail that Dl. Sleep, food and better timing will get you there! :)

Lifting going ok. Squats at 160lbs now-working on form and depth, WHTs are up to 220lbs :smiley: , bench doing well at 80lbs today. Good progress for me! :) bent over rows felt really heavy at 85lbs, wondering if that little bar is 35lbs not 25?
    Joined a new gym they're opening right down the street. Dec 1 supposed to open. Will save us $40/month, walking distance from home, and all new nice equipment open 24hours! Les mills classes too! So I can do combat again :). Yay!
    Weight stabilizing, but too high. Sigh. Want to start losing again but committed to stabilizing meds and then I'll cut calories more.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Hi ladies. Everyone is so busy.
    Happy Thanksgiving week to our Canadian friends.
    Jo, you are one busy lady. Hope things are going better at home.
    Julie, good luck with the new gym, you too Stephanie. Good luck clothes shopping and with the new job.

Aigre, let me know if I can help. Feel free to PM me. The only pages you need to fill out are the Trend tab (input macros daily, it calculates the calories, MFP is often wrong), input weight, water, sleep, steps if you track. On the workout log, log any daily activity. You don't have to go into detail, just strength and time and whatever other activities you do. Today I added cleaning and walking. Don't worry about Untapped. It will restart soon. Progress page is for your information, measurements, and photos. The other tab I look at is the graph macros, it lets you know if you hit your targets. They turn green, it's motivating. The target is within 10 for carbs and protein and 5 for fat. It took me about two weeks to adjust and figure out how to hit my targets. Now that my targets have changed... it's taking three weeks again. I've totally sucked at hitting fat since they've been reduced. On the bright side, my weight is still trending down regardless.

I've lost a full pound a week since my macros were adjusted for fat loss and I'm down 2 inches. It almost feels too fast, especially since I haven't been to the gym in 10 days and sleeping like crazy from being sick (basically, that seriously limits my deficit). I was expecting a slight gain with my period for water, but it's been a consistent trend down. Maybe it's just from being sick, who knows.
  • AigreDoux
    Samntha and Julie - I think I'm getting a better hang of it. I'm annoyed that somehow they pulled in data from MFP all the way back to September 1. So there is a lot of noise in there somehow. But it says not to delete rows?

Yesterday I chose to start on a medium day and I was under on calories and carbs, good on fats, but over on protein. Will definitely require some work to figure it out!

Julie - Great lifting, you are getting super strong!

Sam - hope you feel better soon.

I did Strong Curves workout A this morning
    Glute bridges - added a 15 lb dumbbell 3x15
    DB one arm row - 3x12@25 lbs
    Box squat - 3x15@15 lbs
    Bench press - 3x12@46.5 lbs
    DB RDL - 3x15@17.5 lbs DBs
    Side lying abduction - 1x20 each leg
    Front plank 1x60 s
    Side plank 1x30s each side

Really enjoying the higher rep work in SC at this point. Gradually adding weight even though it is written for bodyweight.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,105 Member
    I got a lifting workout in, today. Shoulders and traps and calves. I left out the calves and did some legs. Nicely DOMs.

I did not step on the scale due to thanksgiving weekend....but will weigh thurs or fri.

BOOM!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Good lifting Beeps! Lol at skipping calves! My calves are freakishly strong! I do them on rest times between other lifts. But agree, not a lot of lasting impact from them!

And nice work on Sc Aigre! Glad you're enjoying it!!

Sam-you're losing so well! Hope you're feeling better! I'm jealous! I am convinced that until my thyroid is straightened out it's a moot point. I gained again yesterday on lower calories...makes no sense! Sooo aggravating!

Rest day today, choosing to make it a light day calorie wise. Can't keep gaining!! Another two weeks until my blood work is done and they can up or change my thyroid meds. It take a long time I guess? So frustrated!! Sigh. Can't give up, I'd gain even faster if I did! Grrr.

Anyway, hope you're all doing well!!
  • samntha14
    My mom's Thyroid used to make her weight yo-yo like crazy. She had a closet full of clothes in a variety of sizes because she'd never really know what she'd be wearing. She'd fluctuate between a 14 and a 20. It was nuts. She's finally stable now that the assisted living home has her medication regulated, but her weight is way up now from her breathing steroids. Que sera.

Long story short, I hope your doctor can get you regulated and stabilised. You truly work so hard.

I was up .5 today. That actually feels normal with my cycle and all. Nailed my macros today, but I'm still congested. Two solid weeks out of the gym :( Dedicate a set to me.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Stephie - Thanks. Good luck with the change in work. It was weird when I did the transfer seeing the new schedule go up and not have my name be on it anymore.

Aigre - I hope so and thanks. The pumpkin patch ride with the kids sounds fun and mmm chili. Interesting on the SC as I tend to dislike higher rep ones.

Julie - Unfortunately work continues as is but hopefully they hire more people soon. Nice on the gym and saving money. I'm still looking for a new one as driving over 10 miles in LA is a bit much.

I managed to get myself to the gym before work this time and I even did upper body. Shocking, I know. Had an afternoon shift, so that made it easier and I got to sleep in more that the last three days. We didn't have a lot of people but some, which made it manageable. Today I had a new person follow me most of the shift. Period started this morning too though scale was up a little yesterday and dipped down this morning. Doing okay on calories and getting decent protein more often now, so making slow progress.

band pulls - 3x10
    push press - 2x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65, 3x5 @ 75
    incline db bench - 3x10 @ 25
    bent row - 3x8 @ 80
    tricep push down with bar - 3x8 @ 42.5
    one arm tricep cable ext - 3x6 @ 10
    20 minute jog on treadmill

Tomorrow, I am checking out another crossfit gym. It was one my sister linked on facebook for me because it mentions lifting (though not that it's crossfit). It's called Pink Iron, and it's a women's lifting gym. Not sure on the whole crossfit aspect but will be interesting to at least check it out.
  • StephieWillcox
    Dawn - Hope the gym is good! The name certainly gives some hope :)
    Sam - My squats were for you today, I hope you're feeling better soon
    Julie - I'm sorry about your weight struggles, I don't have thyroid issues, but I have PCOS so I understand the struggle of doing everything "right" and not having a good outcome
    Beeps - good job getting the training in
    Aigre - great work, you are so great at being consistent and getting it done

Gym today:

Squats: 5x5 @ 60kg
    Bench: 5x5 @ 32.5kg - my bench grip is driving me MAD. I can't keep my wrists straight for love nor money. I've finally got a bit of an arch and some leg drive and my stupid bent wrists are holding me back! GAH
    Rows: 5x5 @ 40kg

Tired now!!!
  • AigreDoux
    Stephie - nice workout! I didn't see any videos! ;-)

Dawn - Pink Iron sounds like an awesome name for a gym. Hope you find something closer to your job and home. Commuting to the gym would make me quit outright. I think I like higher reps because I can "feel the burn" a bit more, rather than just failing at a higher weight.

Samntha - boo on still feeling sick!

Julie - you're doing great with your lifting! Don't let the calorie thing get you down!

Beeps - yeay for a good workout!

Up early to run 3.2 miles this morning. Getting to be chilly out and need to reevaluate my winter running wardrobe.

Still adjusting to ETP. Even medium days seem like a lot of food. Yesterday I ate 2 cups of rice with a big piece of salmon for dinner and was still low on carbs. Today is a "low" day and unless I adjust my plan for dinner I'll end up over on protein and low on carbs and fat. Maybe I should have replaced my protein bar with a Snickers. Ha, I think that actually would have worked. Too bad I already ate it. Yum Snickers :(
  • Julieboolieaz
    Stephe-at least you're working on your bench form! I should probably address mine! Great progress and consistency!! With PCOS are you still following LC? Ive read it works best for PCOS.
    Dawn-well, new hires is a good start! Hope things get a bit better. Finding a good gym closer to home is a worthwhile pursuit! Hope the pink iron one works out :).

Sam-that's discouraging! I hope my Dr will listen to my symptoms and adjust my meds based on that. I'm not holding my breath though! I don't want to keep gaining! :# Hope you're feeling better! Sounds like that cold is sure hanging on!

Today:
    Squats: 2x5@45, 1x5@95, 1x5@160-felt heavy so deloaded to 155... 2x5@155 better forth and depth. :)
    OHP: 2x5@45, 3x5@65!!
    DL: 1x5@135, 1x5@165, 1x5@135. Hit 165 finally!! Almost to my body weight!! At least it used to be my body weight! :s

Weight down a bit today, lower cals yesterday. But I'll take it!
  • DawnEmbers
    Stephie - Thanks. :smile:

Aigre - The gym is interesting. I like low rep ranges but don't often go to the point of failing except for 1 rep max tests, which I do only a few times a year really. Mostly stick to 3-5 reps for the main lifts and 8-10 for accessories. Beyond that it gets to the point where I'm like "why I am still on the same set" especially with deadlift, lol.

Julie - New hires is a good start but we need like 6 or so and well, one we had recently is already gone. Didn't make it through all of the training before not showing up anymore. Unfortunately it's not uncommon in the area for quick turn around and hard to find people who stay at a place for long enough.

Interesting day so far. Despite "shark week" my weight dipped down a little more. Nice to see something a tad below 132 again. Doing better about being more consistent with the deficit too and not having days of 3 large candy bars and such in a day.

The women's crossfit gym was interesting. Very pink but it's called Pink Iron, so that is to be expected. Walls, decorations, even some of the bars were pink. Aside from looking around, I got there right because a class was set to start, one called barbells and babes, so I was able to try out the class. We did a lot of overhead stuff. Overhead squats, sort of a push press (I forgot the titles of some things), I didn't do the split version that is like doing a lunge (jerk type). Then we had the round of do 12 of said lift, then 12 burpees jumping over the bar between each one, then another 12 of a lift, for time. It was 12 front squat and press, 12 burpees, 12 clean and press, 12 burpees then 12 from floor to overhead with your choice on how followed by, of course, 12 burpees. I made it through with like 30 seconds left to rest, so quite pleased to make it even though my shoulder mobility makes things like overhead squat difficult.

It was actually fun and I liked the location even with all of the pink. Unfortunately, I can't afford the fees and I like classes but also want to be able to lift on my own. Kinda funny as with the overhead squats, she referred to my form as a powerlifter squat. Had a little lean forward but part of it is my known problem of shoulder mobility. One of these days I'll honestly work on mobility, maybe...
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,105 Member
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    The women's crossfit gym was interesting. Very pink but it's called Pink Iron, so that is to be expected. Walls, decorations, even some of the bars were pink. Aside from looking around, I got there right because a class was set to start, one called barbells and babes, so I was able to try out the class. We did a lot of overhead stuff. Overhead squats, sort of a push press (I forgot the titles of some things), I didn't do the split version that is like doing a lunge (jerk type). Then we had the round of do 12 of said lift, then 12 burpees jumping over the bar between each one, then another 12 of a lift, for time. It was 12 front squat and press, 12 burpees, 12 clean and press, 12 burpees then 12 from floor to overhead with your choice on how followed by, of course, 12 burpees. I made it through with like 30 seconds left to rest, so quite pleased to make it even though my shoulder mobility makes things like overhead squat difficult.

I think this fad is soooooooooooo interesting! Somehow, at my gym (which is a YMCA, I accept that....), the "high reps, low weight" thing is taking over EVERY strength class they do!!!

At least our local newspaper finally did an ENTIRE full-page column on why women should lift REAL weights (i.e. low reps/high weight). It talked about the whole "bulking up" myth....basically said, "you don't have testosterone, you aren't taking steroids, you aren't eating 5,000 calories per day - you are NEVER gonna 'bulk up'".

And then, in the next paragraph, he writes: "50-year-old couch potato wakes up like Arnold Schwarzeneger the first week following her lifting heavy weights" <<--- headlines you will NEVER see.

Finally, he concluded with this, "saying that lifting weights will make you bulk up is like saying learning to read makes you a rocket scientist".

ha ha ha ha ha
  • AigreDoux
    I am not the least bit qualified to comment on if high reps/lighter weight or low reps/heavier weights are better! I do know that I will never really get "bulky". I personally like variety, so this change to more high rep sets in SC as opposed to the low reps in the end parts of Strong is interesting.

I do feel like with low reps/high weight, that because I am not particularly strong and my technique is likely not flawless, that sometimes my low rep ranges are not far off from my high rep abilities. So for instance I could deadlift 145 pounds x 3 and be done. Or I could do 125 pounds x 10. So the overall volume is higher (for me) doing higher rep ranges than lower ones.

Julie - nice workout. Your squats and deadlifts are really coming along!

Today I did Strong Curves workout B
    SL glute bridge - 3x10@15 lbs each side
    Chin ups - 1x5, 2x4 with band assist
    Step ups - 3x10 each side
    DB military press - 3x8@15 lbs
    Side lying clam - 1x30 each side
    Crunches - 1x20
    Side crunches - 1x10 each side

On day 4 of ETP, my first "high" day. Wow, this seems like a lot of food! I feel like I ate double the amount I usually eat for breakfast and lunch! Starting to worry about gaining, and weight is definitely not going down. Planned it out, though, and should hit all the macros today, I hope!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Aigre-just saw on the FB group that a lady on ETP just hit -20lbs since July. Encouraging! Give it some time and see. You're doing great and I agree that volume is important with weight training. Progressive overload is the name of the game...and there are several ways to achieve it. :) do what works for you!! And mixing it up is good too! And thanks! I feel stronger and see and feel muscles!!

Beeps-that low weight high rep thing is big here too. Body pump class is all the rage, which is great for endurance, but I'm not looking to build endurance, I want muscle! And cute wording in the article! Lol!!

Dawn-I'm glad you liked the pink gym and class. I'm not sure about the overhead stuff, all the snatches and jerks...seems to increase injury to me. I shy away from those. Hope you can find a good, reasonably priced place near home! Nice job hitting your macros!
    Hope the mmt can figure out a way to help alleviate the turnover...pretty common in retail I suppose. But frustrating nonetheless:(.

Scale back up today, sore today, sigh. Hate my thyroid! And gaining weight! 2 more weeks till I see the dr, and then I plan to ask for T3 too. Can't hurt?! Hope it'll help.
  • samntha14
    Stephanie, thanks for the shout out.
    Aigre, ETP definitely takes some getting used to. I think it took me close to a month to really get it. I finally adjusted to my new macros and have been "all green" for three days. FINALLY! Hooray for running.
    Julie, I apologise, I did not mean to be discouraging. I had hoped for the opposite. When Mom got her thyroid meds regulated, her weight finally stabilised. Same for my aunt who had Thyroid cancer and had to have it removed altogether.
    Beeps, that totally sounds like an article worth reading. Love that last line.
    Dawn, I'm down with a ladies gym, not pink so much, lol Crossfit is way too cardio intense for me, but how did you like it?

I have coughing fits, even with a decongestant, every time I expend even a little energy. This too shall pass.
  • DawnEmbers
    Beeps - It does at time feel like feeding into the misconception of needing to lift lighter but more reps. Though I do see the place for the classes and groups that are focused on cardio to having the higher rep ranges. Seems like part of the reason crossfit does a fair amount in that range is their combining cardio with weights. The class after the one I took was even more cardio based and they were going to use the rowing machines. Nice on that article and funny with the headline joke.

Aigre - Doing multiple reps can help if focusing on form with the repetition. And there is bound to be some personal preference, just like some like upper body lifting more than lower, some will like the higher rep ranges more.

Julie - With the types of lifts, it does make sense how easy injuries can occur if people aren't cautious or the trainers aren't working on form. Can see where things might break down in some venues. This wasn't too bad and we skipped over one for me since I don't have the form down yet in order to do the lift. Also, weights were individual, to make sure I wasn't at risk, though my issue was often more mobility than strength with the overhead work. I hope they can get enough help in soon cause retail at the holidays is chaos when well staffed, though at least we don't have a full photo department so we won't have that struggle to handle.

Sam - Yeah, the pink. lol I do like the idea of the women's gym even though I don't mind at all lifting around guys. Just nice to have more women around lifting. I did like the crossfit class minus the burpees. But I've enjoyed other classes before like les mills grit strength. I like doing cardio types at times and while enjoy my alone with loud music, it's nice at times with a small group to do a session.

Not much going on today. Tad sore in the shoulders from all of that overhead work. Had morning shift so I'm tired now as I've been up since 5:45 am. Got more footage filmed for youtube though, a full day of eating in one meal with a pumpkin spice theme. Ironically, I didn't tire of pumpkin spice flavor but because my protein power is a sweet vanilla vegan protein and dessert had a vanilla-y sweet coating, I tired of the artificial sweet vanilla but could totally eat more pumpkin flavored stuff. Not too hard to eat 1400 calories in one meal, bulking calories would be more of a challenge.

Looking for potential meets and organizations to join. Considering USAPL as they have meets on occasion within driving distance. Would like to find another powerlifting meet to train for but also have to watch budget. So much to do and consider still.
  • StephieWillcox
    edited October 2016
    Sorry ladies, not loads of time to catch up, so will quickly check in and hopefully catch up later :)

Squats: 5x5 @ 65kg getting tough, some of these had some serious knee cave and a touch of a good morning. When I focused on a solid bracing breath things were better but then I nearly had an accident... pregnancy and childbirth does strange things to your body.

OHP: 5x5 @ 27.5kg the never ending grind continues!

Deadlifts: 1x5 @ 80kg these actually felt kinda bad, but on video move quickly. The highest I've ever done is 2 x 90kg, so hoping I can break that barrier sometime soon (90kg = 200lbs so it's a bit of a mental barrier I think).

Have a great Friday all and a good weekend if I don't manage to catch up before x
  • AigreDoux
    Dawn - that would be cool to join the USAPL! Hope you get some relief at work soon.

Samntha - that lingering cough is the worst! Hope you feel better soon. At least your diet is on track even if your workouts are on hold!

Julie - boo on the weight gain, but maybe/hopefully just fluctuating from day to day?

Out in the pitch black this morning for 3.2 miles. Being colder makes me run faster. I have been dressing lightly (running tights and a long sleeved shirt) for low temps (40s) so when I first start out it is cold!

Hit all my macros yesterday and got all green numbers. Yeay! It did feel like a lot of food, though! Somehow with the 8 day rotation the low days are lining up with my higher intensity exercise days. Not sure if that's right or that should be adjusted.

It's Friday morning here. Can't wait for the weekend!