widows and widowers welcome

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Dinah2
    Dinah2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I am so excited. I joined a weight loss challenge and won!! I lost the most percentage of weight of the group. I am 57 so I feel that was an accomplishment since there was others much younger than me. I lost 13.3 percent,19.2 pounds, and 13 inches in 11 weeks since I joined the challenge a week late.

I am also vertically challenged at 5'1" and so it really showed. Being vertically challenged it shows alot if you gain or lose.
    I gained 3 pounds on my vacation, but I still exercised while away. I am back on track this week and have lost a pound so far.

Since you cannot control life, this is one aspect I can control. Maybe that is why I have been able to keep on track. I don't know.

Good luck to everyone.

Dinah
  • JulieGo
    JulieGo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Dinah!!! Winning a challenge at any age is exciting. More so when you're 57 and vertically challenged!!!
    You're very inspiring and I think I'll take a page from your book and challenge myself.
    I've been away from this site for too long and have let myself get back into some bad old habits so I desperately need some structure.
    Thanks for your post. I think I needed that today

How's everyone else doing? Quilter .. you just keep amazing me. Toobie ... I'm thinking of adding an app to my phone also. I just got a smartphone a couple months ago (I know ... I'm finally in the 21st century!). So I might as well use it for good and not evil (like starting for hours at facebook!)

Susan ... good for you for making all those changes. And it's very important to slow down and take care of yourself. That's what I'm doing now.

Much love to you all and good luck to all of us. Let's get through all these holidays unscathed!!

Julie
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,040 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everyone is doing great! Sorry I haven't posted on here lately. It's been really busy, esp. this past week, and I was sick the week before that. I worked 3.5 days this week and one of the other days was spent with my mom and dad, driving around upper East TN looking at the fall foliage. We were about a week too late to see the peak colors, but it was still beautiful. We also made a detour to surprise my niece and nephew at LMU. Fortunately, when we got there, they were not in class. So, we had a really fun day. The other day was spent getting ready for and having a fundraiser at the local Pizza Inn for Relay For Life (American Cancer Society). We did good...made over $700. I still managed to get in exercise everyday, either running or playing tennis. I don't think that will happen next week as they are calling for snow and temps in the 30's. Yikes! I'm not ready for that!

Toobe: So glad you did the Alzheimer's walk in memory of your mom. I'm sure that did bring up all sorts of emotions, but it sounds like you handled it very well. I'm so glad that you now feel that you can get to your goal weight. I think the mental side is extremely important. If you see it as too big of a challenge, you'll give up quicker. Now that you know you can do it, I don't see you giving up ever. You can do this. And, yes, I have heard of FLYLady. Some people really love her site. I checked it out, but decided to not join. It may be just the thing you need. Let me know how it works for you and I may change my mind.

Dinah: Great job on that weight loss challenge. You're changes were amazing in all the categories, and in just 11 weeks. That's amazing! You're dong great.

Julie: You're ahead of me. I still don't have a smart phone. I started to get one the other day, but instead got a jetpack so I can use my Kindle Fire to access the internet where ever I may find myself. It was a little cheaper and will let me do anything I want/need to do.

Well, better go. I need to get ready to go for my run before the rain starts today. Hope everyone has a great day and upcoming week! :smile:
  • JulieGo
    JulieGo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone!

The weekend was good and bad as far as my diet and exercise go.
    I'm learning that the more I stay off my feet the better my knees and ankles feel. I'm having SO much trouble with my joints! Know what helps joint pain? LOSING WEIGHT!
    Yikes! A conundrum.
    Anyway ... I'm determined. I'm going to be easy on myself and at the same time eat whole foods and start doing some yoga after work. I have a DVD of Beginning Yoga and also Yoga for Inflexible People. That's me. Stiff as a board.
    Something's gotta work.
    Quilter ... you're so good at running and staying active. I love your commitment to good health. I'm going to try to emulate you. Except without the running part!!! :laugh:
    So everyone, have a good week. Be kind to yourselves.
    Julie
  • pstevens1122
    pstevens1122 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello: I am new to this site. I have gained 35 lbs from comfort foods since loosing my husband. Looking for support out there?
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    pstevens, Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • butterflies2323
    Options
    hi, im 29 and i lost my husband last month. I miss him every second of every day. We have a 4 year old together. I lost him suddenly. I am hoping that by losing weight, it will give me some happiness
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    hi, im 29 and i lost my husband last month. I miss him every second of every day. We have a 4 year old together. I lost him suddenly. I am hoping that by losing weight, it will give me some happiness

You have my deepest sympathies! Of course you miss him every second of every day! That will get better....you will still miss him, but it won't be quite as painful as it is now.

I found exercise to be a great stress reliever and mood improver. That was my original reason for starting to run....to be able to get off of the anti-depressants I was on. And, it worked.

You can do this....lose weight and make it through today. Right now, you just have to take it one day at a time and try to not look too far into the future. I know that is hard to do, but for now, making through today is the most important thing. Try to find some "me" time for relaxation and exercise.

We're here for you. Feel free to add me as a friend, if you'd like.
  • fullplate247
    Options
    I just joined MFP and this group, so hello all. I lost my husband of nine years on the 20th of Dec. He was 35 and I am 32. We have a 10 year old son and a 7 year old daughter plus custody of my 3 year old nephew. He had been diagnosed with Leukemia for 2 days before he passed away. I have joined a gym so that I can get healthy and be around for a long time to come for my kids. Please feel free to add me as a friend, I need all the help and support I can get!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I just joined MFP and this group, so hello all. I lost my husband of nine years on the 20th of Dec. He was 35 and I am 32. We have a 10 year old son and a 7 year old daughter plus custody of my 3 year old nephew. He had been diagnosed with Leukemia for 2 days before he passed away. I have joined a gym so that I can get healthy and be around for a long time to come for my kids. Please feel free to add me as a friend, I need all the help and support I can get!

WOW. You do have a full plate. I am so sorry for your loss. :brokenheart:

Good for you for wanting to get healthy for your children. The exercise will also help you get through some of those rough days that are sure to come. I will send you a friend request.
  • butterflies2323
    Options

I sent you a friend request, WERE IN THE SAME BOAT!! Were both young mothers, young widows and we both lost our husbands in Dec 2012. I am here ANYTIME u need someone to talk to.
  • shastory
    Options
    To introduce myself, my husband died 24 years ago when I was 22yrs old. We had been married just under 2 years and he died as a police officer in a line of duty accident. I have struggled with my weight all of my life, but after he died I lost total control. Ever since then, my weight has been up and down depending on how I was coping. This year, I finally realized I have a hangup that is related to my grief that will not let me get beyond a certain weight. I was doing a weight loss program when he died and my weigh-in was the night before he died. I had met my first goal of 30lbs lost. That diet ended the next day when he died and over the next year I gained 50 pounds, which I have lost and gained many times over the years since. This year I realized that every time I diet, I lose the weight all the way down to the weight from that night... then I sabotage myself and cannot get any further... so back on all the weight goes. I pray that will the support of friends that understand grief I will finally get past that point and finally get healthy. I have a few other widow friends on here already whose husbands died about the same time, also as police officers. We are trying to do this together. Thank you for letting me a part of this group.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Shastory, I am so sorry for your loss. It doesn't matter how long it has been, it can still affect us in so many ways. I think, now that you have realized what you are doing, you can get past it. If your husband was supportive of you, which I am assuming he was, you know that he would want you to lose the weight for your health and happiness. Next time you reach that point maybe write him a letter to tell him how you feel and again when you go below that point. I think you'll feel his love and be able to do this.

Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.
  • Teemosupremo
    Teemosupremo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 52 years old. Lost my wife Kelly to breast cancer in January of 2015. We had a fantastic life together for 9 years, but started putting weight on. Then for the two years that I took care of her before passing, I really put the weight on. I'm down almost 40 lbs now with I'd say another 20 to go. Logging has really helped and just recently, I started actually weighing my portion and boy was that a wake up. Anyway, glad you're all here. tommy
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Hey Tommy. Sorry about your wife. Cancer is a horrible disease. I agree that when I started weighing my portions, it was an eye opener. As you can see, this group hasn't been active in a while. I would love to see it start back up again. Maybe our posts will do it.
  • mcbeth
    mcbeth Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I lost my husband January 2, 2017. Put on weight while I was his caregiver for 6 years, then after he passed I buried myself in food. Now I need to get back on track.