List of Things to Indulge In - THAT ISNT FOOD

Options

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I love listening to music, which is what I do now if I am feeling stressed or depressed. The funny thing is I notice now that when I am depressed I want to eat, but I know from my history that after eating food, I dont feel any better. So I remind myself that eating something that I should not be eating is not going to make me feel any better. In fact, it will only make me feel worse. Whenever I want to eat something that I do not need I always think about how I felt the last time I ate something that i just had to have and usually it dissuades me from eating the wrong thing,
  • tracilhoffman
    tracilhoffman Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I love to sing and dance with my baby (she's 5 months old). So if I have a good day, I feel good about myself, we load up her playlist on my kindle and we (I) sing and dance to her till I'm so exhausted I can't hardly stand. Then we just sit and chill and I read to her. When she gets older I'm probably going to have to find something else!
  • TickingPwny
    TickingPwny Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Currently, my non-food indulgences include:

- black coffee (nearly calorie-free so I don't count it)
    - Netflix
    - HBO
    - my cat
    - Pinterest!
    - writing
    - buying something on one of my online wishlists

I told myself that I'd start buying one music album I like at the end of every good week. Unfortunately, with finals just around the corner, that hasn't worked yet. :c
  • getreadyworldhereicome
    Options
    Non-food indulgences:

-Spend time in my garden
    -Listen to my favourite playlist while I draw
    -Watch an episode of my favourite trashy t.v. series
    -Look through my old design magazines with drawing pad on hand to sketch any cool ideas (old-school here)
    -Love to organize and re-decorate my house, using some of the decor ideas that I've collected. You never know what old 'jewels' you'll find.
    -Sleep. I love it but don't get enough of it. Going to bed earlier feels good and keeps the cravings away
    -Chill on the balcony with my family when it's a nice day on the weekends and talk about "stuff"
    -Rummage around through second-hand stores
    -Watch comedy
    -Watch funny videos

• saracantthink
    saracantthink Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Dropping the kids off at the ymca nursery and swimming laps. I really do like working out, if I could get my eating under control I would be doing pretty well!
  • iona_ellen
    iona_ellen Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Here are mine -
    *garden
    *clean
    *walk with or without my dog
    *mindfulness
    *yoga
    *re decorate
    *travel
    *photography
    *visit family
    *babysit
    *puzzle books (in particular sudukos)
  • shlygraham
    shlygraham Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    sweetalker wrote: »
    Getting Massages,
    Swimming,
    Watching HGTV!
    Playing with My 2 Cats.
    Sex ( with my husband, BIG stress relief hahah!!!)

That last one sounds wonderful and I'd love to try it sometime. Do you think your husband would mind?

LOL! I am single... clearly I need an ongoing lover to reward myself with!

• ashes2ashes83
    ashes2ashes83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am really just trying to find some new vices. Before I had kids I smoked for a long time. And I worked all the time. Once I got pregnant food replaced the smokes and I no longer worked outside the home so I was more free to eat any time of the day or night. My other vices like TV, the internet, going out with friends all are connected with eating, too. I have really had to trace my steps very far back to find what it is I even love to do anymore.

So far I have started taking baths again, doing crafts (mostly for the kids scouts and school but I really like it), meditating again, hiking again, reading more, taking more walks.

I remember how much I loved dolls when I was a kid. So I think I might try making a reborn doll or dollfie and see how that goes. I used to write a lot when I was a teen and young adult so I want to get back to that as well.

it is truly amazing how much more of yourself you find when you stop covering it up with food.

I totally get this! I sometimes wonder WHAT I did before I had kids... seems like I should have had lots more time but I don't remember it that way.

I love to read (if only that burned calories!), and I work and have two young children (5 and 8)... so I feel like I have no other "hobbies" (Can I count Netflix? lol). I am trying to find non-food rewards too. Love all the ideas.
  • colleen_mairead_xo
    colleen_mairead_xo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Deff agree, sex is better than just about anything (: and its hard to think about much else while you're in the middle of it, better yet, why would you even want to try?? lol. When i get bored or upset and just want to eat for comfort and something to do, lately I make myself drink 24 ounces of water and I don't usually want whatever I'm craving so desperately (:
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    i try one of 3 things: walk with my dog, talk with my husband, or talk with someone on one of the websites i am a member of.
  • HG93022
    HG93022 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am really just trying to find some new vices. Before I had kids I smoked for a long time. And I worked all the time. Once I got pregnant food replaced the smokes and I no longer worked outside the home so I was more free to eat any time of the day or night. My other vices like TV, the internet, going out with friends all are connected with eating, too. I have really had to trace my steps very far back to find what it is I even love to do anymore.

So far I have started taking baths again, doing crafts (mostly for the kids scouts and school but I really like it), meditating again, hiking again, reading more, taking more walks.

I remember how much I loved dolls when I was a kid. So I think I might try making a reborn doll or dollfie and see how that goes. I used to write a lot when I was a teen and young adult so I want to get back to that as well.

it is truly amazing how much more of yourself you find when you stop covering it up with food.

LOVE this. Very excellent point and great reminder!!

• bianchajod
    bianchajod Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get into arts and crafts. Makes something out of clay or needle felt, there's plenty of tutorials on YouTube ;) it keeps your hand busy and distracts your mind from eating. Plus you've got an end result (and if it turns out bad, practise) and they can make excellent gifts for others!
  • KitButterfly
    KitButterfly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find any sort of self pampering (manicure, facial, bubble bath etc) works for me, there are a lot of suggestions here that I'm going to try as well now :)
  • JALaReine
    JALaReine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Taking this super cool pole dancing class near me.
  • JALaReine
    JALaReine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Getting a complete body massage
    Wearing my stilettos again
    Going dancing with my girls (comfortably)
    New tattoo
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I like to sit down and spend about 45 minutes a day painting a watercolor picture. I just started a job and have felt too stressed/ tired to do this for about 3 weeks and I notice that I'm stress eating and not as happy. Might get up earlier to fit this in before daily life drains me.
  • celliewonder
    celliewonder Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Love all these ideas! Bottom line, just distract yourself.
  • caconnor1
    caconnor1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Going for a short walk
    Talking to a friend on the phone
    Journaling
    Coloring in my "adult" coloring book :smile:
  • dawling11
    dawling11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Journaling
    Coloring in adult coloring books