Dinner date- who pays?

Options
swimmchick87
swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
Just curious as I see this mentioned a lot on here. If you're going out on a dinner date, who do you expect to pay? Does the guy automatically always have to? What about after a few dates with the same person- is the guy always still paying? I almost feel like that's a little old fashioned but from reading a few posts on here it seems to be the norm!

Replies

• timnca03
    timnca03 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If I am the one who initiated the date I will always pay. After a few dates I will still pay but may say something like you get the next one, sets up a next time option as well as giving her the option to pay as some women are very independent and want to pay for themselves. Im honestly good no matter who pays.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Guy pays, hands down first time for sure... Its a gentlemenly thing to do. You are taking her out for dinner therefore you pay. Even a girl asked me out, I would still probably pay. If she insisted totally I would still try to pay at least half and try and slip it in her handbag or something haha.
  • Natx83
    Options
    Its different if it's down the line, if after 2 or times the girls is still not offering to pay at least her half, I would start having 2nd thoughts about her... But its perfectly fine for a woman to take a man out for dinner and pay.......

As long as its not the first date haha!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I don't ask guys out ever so he'll pay at first... but if we're out having drinks I will offer to get a round or so. Later on if we start to date more often, I'd definately help out paying for dinner or events every now and then.
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    He should pay if he asks you out.
  • Natx83
    Options
    I don't ask guys out ever so he'll pay at first... but if we're out having drinks I will offer to get a round or so. Later on if we start to date more often, I'd definately help out paying for dinner or events every now and then.

Every now and then? lol

Do you think the guy should pay what, like, 50-70% of the time?

I think once in a relationship, things should go 50/50 on most occasions, cept of course when there are special occasions or you're feeling nice ;)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I'm paying. I appreciate when there is a gesture on her part, but I'm paying. I won't push it to the point of an argument (I've dated two girls that seemed ready to fight for it).

I should also note that I'm that guy who pays for my friends, buys rounds at the bar, and supplies food and beverages at a tailgate that is open to anyone that walks by. I work hard and I spend my money on experiences, not stuff. Dates, friends, tailgates all make me happy.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    The girl should pay if she wants you.

I don't do dinner (first) dates anyway... Overall they suck, they're too slow paced (see other topic).
    He should pay if he asks you out.
    I invite girls on first dates only because they are too lazy to do it (even later down the road), not because I want to pay for their food or drinks. Get real! :laugh:
    Well, mind you with that precept, that's one more reason to let girls do the chase. This way they organise the dates and they pay for it then according to this logic.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I usually offer to pay my way for dinner. And I take turns at the bar. If the guy insists then I graciously accept :bigsmile:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    The man should pay if he asks you out. If you asked him out, grow some ovaries and buy the man dinner. Don't ask people to do things with you if you can't afford it or don't want to pay.

I agree that once you've been out a few times, it's polite to OFFER to pay for something. If not dinner, then if you go somewhere else for drinks or coffee or dessert or a movie after dinner, then offer to pay for that.

The last guy I dated was insistent on paying for everything, which is not uncommon where I'm from. I didn't push it because I didn't want to insinuate that he couldn't afford it (or that I wasn't worth it). But after we'd been out a few times, I invited him to my place, and I made dinner for him. I would also bring him something occasionally, like a bottle of his favorite wine or whiskey. He seemed to be more comfortable with that than with me offering to pay.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The man should pay if he asks you out. If you asked him out, grow some ovaries and buy the man dinner. Don't ask people to do things with you if you can't afford it or don't want to pay.

I agree that once you've been out a few times, it's polite to OFFER to pay for something. If not dinner, then if you go somewhere else for drinks or coffee or dessert or a movie after dinner, then offer to pay for that.

The last guy I dated was insistent on paying for everything, which is not uncommon where I'm from. I didn't push it because I didn't want to insinuate that he couldn't afford it (or that I wasn't worth it). But after we'd been out a few times, I invited him to my place, and I made dinner for him. I would also bring him something occasionally, like a bottle of his favorite wine or whiskey. He seemed to be more comfortable with that than with me offering to pay.

Awesome approach!
  • La_Amazona
    Options

Every now and then? lol

Do you think the guy should pay what, like, 50-70% of the time?

I think once in a relationship, things should go 50/50 on most occasions, cept of course when there are special occasions or you're feeling nice ;)

I'd go 50/50. I'd just make sure my 50 was a redbox and some takeout...

Just kidding!

I love spoiling and can get out of hand.
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I'm paying. I appreciate when there is a gesture on her part, but I'm paying. I won't push it to the point of an argument (I've dated two girls that seemed ready to fight for it).

I should also note that I'm that guy who pays for my friends, buys rounds at the bar, and supplies food and beverages at a tailgate that is open to anyone that walks by. I work hard and I spend my money on experiences, not stuff. Dates, friends, tailgates all make me happy.

This is me too. I dont mind paying to me life is more about shared experiences and stories not who paid for dinner and drinks.

For me those initial dates are a no brainer, I am going to pay, the only time I find it a little weird is later on down the road if we are dating and considering a relationship there always seems to be that phase when a woman decides hey Im vested in this guy so I should pay sometimes as well. Again for me I dont care I will continue to pay, but all past relationships that made it to this point it seemed to really be almost a turning point and she made a point of paying.

No worries, just be glad you are out and enjoy your date. If you want to pay go ahead, I would only be worried if he refuses to pay...then I would run for the hills!
  • will010574
    Options

That is fantastic! Thoughtful and personal, I want a woman to buy me a personal gift...especially if it turned out to be a nice bottle of bourbon!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I always offer to pay my share - personally I would feel rude if I didn't. But the guy typically says no to the offer, so a thank you suffices.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Whoever's idea the date was, unless you're just friends then- you fight over it.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    The person that ASKS THE OTHER needs to be willing to pay.
  • will010574
    Options
    Whoever's idea the date was, unless you're just friends then- you fight over it.

Fight Fight Fight!!! I immediately pictured a huge brawl in a restaurant over who gets to pay for the check!!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The guy pays. If I invite us to the event, I'll pay for the event itself. I'll recipricate in other ways if we go out more than a few times, like cooking dinner/packing a picnic. Other than that, if I'm paying, it's because we are platonic, just going as friends. Maybe the south is rubbing off on me, as I just *feel* "un-cherished, non-pursued" at the thought of having to pay my own way for a date someone else asked me out on.

I know a lot of guys are gonna disagree with that, but when I first became single I thought a modern woman should offer to pay half all the time and sometimes pick up the tab. It was actually my BGF who schooled me to drop the whole liberated thing, relax, and let the guy worry about all that. Seeing as most guys take me to places I would never work into my own personal budget, I do believe he was right, because I'm much more relaxed and fun to be with now. A few years from now, when the man-well is dry, maybe I'll change my mind, but for now if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • La_Amazona
    Options

With my FL, we will take turns paying for rounds/ food/ concert tickets/ whatever. Although he's probably paid for more stuff than I have just because he'll want me try something he's had and I haven't.

Or we'll pay our own way. Easy peasy.