May 2013 Due Dates

Options

Replies

• TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Congratulations on your pregnancy! It's nice to have another May mommy on here. I'm looking forward to hearing about your pregnancy!

I hate to bring up this thorny topic, but it is becoming a landmine between me and my husband and I'd like to know if any of you are also struggling or have struggled with this decision: circumcision. I am totally opposed to it, always have been, and he has very strong feelings in the other direction. I have talked to both my midwife and perinatologist, and both of them are opposed to it, but they say there's enough research out there to support both sides. They have both given me scientific articles that contradict each other. It's so hard -I want my husband to be happy, but I feel like the practice is so cruel and unnecessary and goes against my personal approach to life. We had an argument about it last night and were so upset that we each had nightmares -which we never have. And, sadly, this was our last evening together before I leave for Christmas. We made up and agreed not to discuss it for awhile, but it will be hanging over our heads until the baby is born.

Right now I am kind of leaning towards giving in, but on the condition that he watch our newborn suffer through that cruel operation and that he will be responsible for tending the wound and dealing with the diaper changes until it is healed. Is that unreasonable of me? I know I will be crying in another room the whole time it is happening, so I feel he should see what pain and trauma he is putting our baby through.
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Congratulations on your pregnancy! It's nice to have another May mommy on here. I'm looking forward to hearing about your pregnancy!

I hate to bring up this thorny topic, but it is becoming a landmine between me and my husband and I'd like to know if any of you are also struggling or have struggled with this decision: circumcision. I am totally opposed to it, always have been, and he has very strong feelings in the other direction. I have talked to both my midwife and perinatologist, and both of them are opposed to it, but they say there's enough research out there to support both sides. They have both given me scientific articles that contradict each other. It's so hard -I want my husband to be happy, but I feel like the practice is so cruel and unnecessary and goes against my personal approach to life. We had an argument about it last night and were so upset that we each had nightmares -which we never have. And, sadly, this was our last evening together before I leave for Christmas. We made up and agreed not to discuss it for awhile, but it will be hanging over our heads until the baby is born.

Right now I am kind of leaning towards giving in, but on the condition that he watch our newborn suffer through that cruel operation and that he will be responsible for tending the wound and dealing with the diaper changes until it is healed. Is that unreasonable of me? I know I will be crying in another room the whole time it is happening, so I feel he should see what pain and trauma he is putting our baby through.

My cousin and his wife had the same debate and I dont know who won. But I know for us we had agreed not to do it because we thought my hubby wasnt (we found out at the hospital he was), but my opinion is this and I just feel its right, that if the father is circumcised then he should decide. It may sound odd but I do think the man has that right because he doesnt want his sons to look different from his and if by chance your son saw his dads or a digram of one and looked at his he could think there was something wrong, I know everyone has varying opinions, but I think thats Dad territory. Its hard to think about, but we had our sons done and it went fine, healed up great! I do not think it is unreasonable of you at all though! We studied both sides and agreed on both decisions together since neither is better or worst. It depends on the generation....most men in my parents generation (60s babies+) had it done, but their fathers didnt. And I think in the 90s it started to die down again, but I feel you both must be okay with it.

On a side note I tried responding to previous posts the other day and couldnt finish before I ahd to leave my desk =/ so I have to go back!

On another less bright side note, I went to the doctor today and Baby A has clubbed feet, they want to do genetic testing, but I dont think I will do it. I definitely do not want amniocentesis. Its not worth the risk. My faith is saying to just let it be and find out at birth. It doesnt change anything except for preparation. Either way our baby will needs casts and therapy until their legs are normal. So I am upset and its hard to be at work and not cry after hearing this news. I am trying to be optimistic. But if someone asks how it went I cant talk about it and I tear up. Baby B looks great though and beside the clubbed feet Baby A looks great too! Did anyone else have a previous birth with clubbed feet? I just want to be well informed and have someone to talk to about this. And I wasnt even concerned with my weight this time. I am up 16lbs so I think the last scale I was on was way off. But they didnt mention anything. I go back in 2 weeks to do another transvaginal and then in 4 weeks to do a regular ultrasound. So looks like I will be going very frequently between my 2 doctors. Because I have my regular OB U/S tomorrow afternoon.

Hope everyone else is doing great! :)
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options
    I'm on my phone so I can't reply to everyone, but I just wanted to let you all know that I had my 'big' ultrasound today, and we're having another GIRL! That'll make 3 girls, 1 boy for us! The sonographer couldn't get a clear view of everything she needed to check (feet, profile, etc) so I will get another ultrasound in 4 more weeks (at 24 weeks) - yay! Baby girl was constantly on the move during the whole thing, but I couldn't feel her much because she was facing me. All her kicks/twirls were toward me instead of toward the outside of my belly. That's why I haven't been feeling too many movements during this pregnancy. Based on her activity today, though, I'm kind of glad I don't have to feel all that constantly yet! :-)

Yay congrats! Seems like a lot of girls being born next year as we are having 2 girls as well!
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options
    It scared the crap out of me, though. As such I am going to hold off on exercising today and start back with easy walks during the week. I am leery about going back to Spinning, though, until my next scheduled class, which is Christmas Eve morning. Even if none of this is doing damage, it's still a lot to go through when you see blood.

Has anyone else had this happen, especially after a workout? I read that having a BM will sometimes "re-open" or exacerbate a previous injury/irritation, so if I had irritated my lady parts with Spinning, going to the bathroom later that night may have caused it to bleed. Admittedly (and I told the OB this) I fished around up there with some toilet paper, and it seemed to be localized to my lower parts, and there was no pink coming out from up near my cervix. Of course she advised me not to check that out further because I could irritate myself further and cause it to happen again!

Anyway, I hope you are all having a nice weekend so far! We have not ordered our Christmas cards yet, so later today we are going to try to get some good pictures of our son with the dogs. I'm not so sure how this is going to pan out. If not, I will just buy regular cards and include a small picture of him in them.

I have this on a regular basis, unfortunately! Most of the time, nothing triggers it, its just random bleeding (bright red/pink, that lasts a few hours or so). Twice its been triggered by sex and thats what did it the first time...we were terrified! 2 weeks of pelvic rest after that. I see my doc every other week at this point, due to some other issues, and it happened 3 times between my last two visits. They did notice that I have a polyup that developed since my last pap in July, but other than that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. But it's nervewracking and makes me paranoid! I'm always worried/nervous to have sex....poor DH! He's nervous about it too but that doesnt stop him :tongue:

Thanks for the reassurance! I didn't have this at all with my first pregnancy, but then again I didn't work out at all... Sex has been off the table since I found out I was pregnant, as it was last time. I just can't get myself in the mood, and since this is the second time I've had a bit of pink (first time was around 8 weeks, totally unexplained), I've been leery about having sex even if I had a moment when I was in the mood. I guess there are other things we could do, but, well, if I'm hardly ever in the mood for sex, I'm not about to be in the mood for its alternatives!

I think it was just the bike seat, and I'm wondering if I had my bike settings wrong or if I need to adjust them. I'll play with it and see what happens.

I couldnt imagine not being the mood or not having sex for so long, but I know how the hormones are and that mine isnt the same when I am pregnant. We just got told today no sex because Baby A has a free floating cord that is 1.5cm away from my cervix. Baby A seems to be our trouble child already!! lol It is almost at the opening of my cervix so no heavy lifting or intercourse until further notice because it can cause bleeding :(. Its a bummer for us...but we know its best for the babies, so its worth it....
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options
    It scared the crap out of me, though. As such I am going to hold off on exercising today and start back with easy walks during the week. I am leery about going back to Spinning, though, until my next scheduled class, which is Christmas Eve morning. Even if none of this is doing damage, it's still a lot to go through when you see blood.

Has anyone else had this happen, especially after a workout? I read that having a BM will sometimes "re-open" or exacerbate a previous injury/irritation, so if I had irritated my lady parts with Spinning, going to the bathroom later that night may have caused it to bleed. Admittedly (and I told the OB this) I fished around up there with some toilet paper, and it seemed to be localized to my lower parts, and there was no pink coming out from up near my cervix. Of course she advised me not to check that out further because I could irritate myself further and cause it to happen again!

Anyway, I hope you are all having a nice weekend so far! We have not ordered our Christmas cards yet, so later today we are going to try to get some good pictures of our son with the dogs. I'm not so sure how this is going to pan out. If not, I will just buy regular cards and include a small picture of him in them.

I have this on a regular basis, unfortunately! Most of the time, nothing triggers it, its just random bleeding (bright red/pink, that lasts a few hours or so). Twice its been triggered by sex and thats what did it the first time...we were terrified! 2 weeks of pelvic rest after that. I see my doc every other week at this point, due to some other issues, and it happened 3 times between my last two visits. They did notice that I have a polyup that developed since my last pap in July, but other than that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. But it's nervewracking and makes me paranoid! I'm always worried/nervous to have sex....poor DH! He's nervous about it too but that doesnt stop him :tongue:

I hear ya! Every time we would finish i would have to check, he would check because at 28 weeks+ with my son it started after intercourse, and spending all night in L&D is not my idea of a good time unless its time for the babies to come! lol And every other week! Thats almost what I go since I see my OB and the perinatologist so I know how that goes....lol. Todays appt took 2.5hrs so it was not too fun and I know the glucose test is getting close and now they want to start trying me for preeclampsia with a 24 hour urine :grumble: I have not missed those!!! And it will be awkward at work..lol
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    On another less bright side note, I went to the doctor today and Baby A has clubbed feet, they want to do genetic testing, but I dont think I will do it. I definitely do not want amniocentesis. Its not worth the risk. My faith is saying to just let it be and find out at birth. It doesnt change anything except for preparation. Either way our baby will needs casts and therapy until their legs are normal. So I am upset and its hard to be at work and not cry after hearing this news. I am trying to be optimistic. But if someone asks how it went I cant talk about it and I tear up. Baby B looks great though and beside the clubbed feet Baby A looks great too! Did anyone else have a previous birth with clubbed feet? I just want to be well informed and have someone to talk to about this. And I wasnt even concerned with my weight this time. I am up 16lbs so I think the last scale I was on was way off. But they didnt mention anything. I go back in 2 weeks to do another transvaginal and then in 4 weeks to do a regular ultrasound. So looks like I will be going very frequently between my 2 doctors. Because I have my regular OB U/S tomorrow afternoon.

Hope everyone else is doing great! :)

I'm sorry to hear about your news. That is certainly hard to swallow, but there are resources out there. I was on some mom blog the other day and clicked through to another blog that happened to be about her and her son, who has club feet. I can't remember the name of the blog, but if you Google "club foot blog," there is quite a bit there, and they seem to have links to helpful resources.
  • RBXChas
    Options

Before I say anything else, keep in mind that the hospital may not allow your husband to watch your baby's circumcision.

I did a lot of research on this before we made our decision. (Note that we didn't know if we were having a boy or a girl, and it turned out we had a boy, so everything I was researching was sort of hypothetical.) My father is a practicing pediatrician (and has been for nearly 40 years), and he said that the anesthestic they use is good and that everything would be fine, the risks are worth it. My sister refused for her sons and sent me all sorts of research on why I shouldn't. Her husband is not circumcised (I only know because she told me!), and so I think for them it was an easy decision not to. Not to be TMI, but my husband is and really didn't think the decision to circumcise was a big deal.

In the end, we did it. Our pediatrician did it and told us when, generally, he was doing it (the morning after he was born - so about 24 hours old) but that I wouldn't know specifically when unless I wanted to so that I wouldn't worry.

It turned out fine, and the aftercare was not difficult.

It's really a very personal decision, so I can't tell you what to do, but given that my husband was totally ok with having it done on our son, plus the risks of anything going wrong are so slim and, in my mind, outweigh the benefits of not doing it, it wasn't that hard a decision for us. I just had to not think about it in that large window I was given when it would be happening. I took that time to take a shower and clean myself up, which was much-needed, and when I was done in the bathroom the pediatrician came by and said all went well and that they'd be bringing my son back in soon.
  • BananaCat83
    BananaCat83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just realized that there were forums on MFP for PREGNANT PEOPLE!! I'm so excited!! I can't wait to talk with other moms who care about fitness. :)

First time mom, age 24, about 18 weeks
    My due date is May 20th

I was excited to find this as well! Getting back on MFP has really helped me manage my weight gain
  • BananaCat83
    Options
    :love:

I hear ya! Every time we would finish i would have to check, he would check because at 28 weeks+ with my son it started after intercourse, and spending all night in L&D is not my idea of a good time unless its time for the babies to come! lol And every other week! Thats almost what I go since I see my OB and the perinatologist so I know how that goes....lol. Todays appt took 2.5hrs so it was not too fun and I know the glucose test is getting close and now they want to start trying me for preeclampsia with a 24 hour urine :grumble: I have not missed those!!! And it will be awkward at work..lol

Ohh my goodness...my appts are just a quick check (pee, BP, check cervix, doppler)...I can't imagine being there for 2.5hrs! Low and behold, more bleeding last night after sex. Ugh. I think we're just going to limit it to once a week just for peace of mind, and for any injury on the cervix to heal. My doc said its fine to do it as much as we want since there is no internal bleed or anything, but I just hate seeing the blood. It'll all be worth it in the end though :love:
  • LadyJocc
    LadyJocc Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ohh my goodness...my appts are just a quick check (pee, BP, check cervix, doppler)...I can't imagine being there for 2.5hrs! Low and behold, more bleeding last night after sex. Ugh. I think we're just going to limit it to once a week just for peace of mind, and for any injury on the cervix to heal. My doc said its fine to do it as much as we want since there is no internal bleed or anything, but I just hate seeing the blood. It'll all be worth it in the end though :love:

I haven't had any bleeding yet (knock on wood) but think you're handling it really well! Even knowing that it's safe to have sex, seeing blood right after would terrify me. Holding off will be hard, but it'll definitely be worth it in then end for your peace of mind - good luck!
  • LadyJocc
    Options

So sorry to hear about this - that is a lot to take in. Glad to hear that both babies look great (other than Baby A's foot) - I don't have much in terms of resources/knowledge to share, but you'll be in my thoughts!
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Thank you for your thoughts and experiences with circumcision. It certainly helps to hear how other people have handled the subject. Having just undergone surgery myself, I know I'm especially sensitive to the topic and it's reassuring to hear from you all.

I'm so happy the twins are doing well! I hear club foot is quite common and easily corrected, and of course the main thing is that they are healthy! I know you said you didn't want further testing and especially not amniocentesis (and I certainly don't blame you), but maybe this new, non-invasive blood test could be of use to you -it more or less eliminates the need for amniocentesis and is considered 98-99% accurate. It goes by different names depending on which company administers it (the my midwife mentioned was MaterniT21). it's only about a year old and isn't widely known yet. However, if there are no physical issues that need attending to right at the birth, then you probably don't need to do it. I just thought I'd put it out there in case you hadn't heard of it.

We're having a white Christmas here in WI -hooray! For the last three days I've been feeling pretty good -not totally myself, but also not dealing with heartburn or pain from the appendectomy. Here's to a happy, healthy holiday season for all!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    We're having a white Christmas here in WI -hooray! For the last three days I've been feeling pretty good -not totally myself, but also not dealing with heartburn or pain from the appendectomy. Here's to a happy, healthy holiday season for all!

I'm kind of jealous of you for having snow... but then again today's high is 73. (Tomorrow's is 52, so not so great.) Since I moved to the South (prior to that, I lived in Michigan), I have a really hard time feeling like it's Christmas, you know?

Anyway, I am happy that you're feeling better, even if you're not totally back to being yourself yet.

My sister went for a run last night and invited me, but I was dealing with round ligament annoyance all day long. I knew walking would aggravate it... I am not planning on Spinning this Saturday like I usually do, but I will be doing a Christmas Eve (morning) class. I didn't want to do two classes in 48 hours like that since I bled last time. I love my Spinning, but I am having a hard time doing it knowing there's a possibility I could bleed! Even if it's benign bleeding, it still scares the crap out of me!
  • BananaCat83
    Options

I haven't had any bleeding yet (knock on wood) but think you're handling it really well! Even knowing that it's safe to have sex, seeing blood right after would terrify me. Holding off will be hard, but it'll definitely be worth it in then end for your peace of mind - good luck!

Thanks! It was a lot more stressful at first, but now thats its pretty commmon it doesn't freak me out much...as long as it stops I know I'm good!
  • LadyJocc
    Options
    My sister went for a run last night and invited me, but I was dealing with round ligament annoyance all day long. I knew walking would aggravate it... I am not planning on Spinning this Saturday like I usually do, but I will be doing a Christmas Eve (morning) class. I didn't want to do two classes in 48 hours like that since I bled last time. I love my Spinning, but I am having a hard time doing it knowing there's a possibility I could bleed! Even if it's benign bleeding, it still scares the crap out of me!

2 classes in 48 hours would be a lot -- benign or not, it's still freaky! I'm hoping you don't have any bleeding after your Christmas eve spin - keep us posted!

And yowzah on the round ligament -- I did my normal boot camp last night and my round ligaments were killing! I blame the single leg elevated squats, totally one of those exercises that feels 'ok' but also kind of feels like my uterus is being pulled too tight. Does anyone else get that feeling? Like there's too much pressure going both ways? It's so hard to put into words.

Hope your ligaments are feeling better today!
  • LadyJocc
    Options

How exciting - enjoy the snow! And very glad to hear that you are feeling better, both physically and emotionally - hopefully with a little time and space from the circumcision topic you and your husband will be able to come back together and talk through whichever decision is right for your family.
  • RBXChas
    Options

2 classes in 48 hours would be a lot -- benign or not, it's still freaky! I'm hoping you don't have any bleeding after your Christmas eve spin - keep us posted!

And yowzah on the round ligament -- I did my normal boot camp last night and my round ligaments were killing! I blame the single leg elevated squats, totally one of those exercises that feels 'ok' but also kind of feels like my uterus is being pulled too tight. Does anyone else get that feeling? Like there's too much pressure going both ways? It's so hard to put into words.

Hope your ligaments are feeling better today!

Thanks, they felt better yesterday! I hope yours are feeling better, too!

I know that feeling, though, where there's too much pressure going in several directions. I have actually noticed it when I change positions at night. If I turn too quickly, and my hips don't follow fast enough, then I do something like cough, it pulls them and OW!!!
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

How's everyone doing? I'm pretty excited - I'm only working a half day today and then it's off to my next dr. appt.

I'm 19 weeks on Sunday and we have our u/s schedule for the first of the year :) I am so excited to see if we are bringing a baby boy or girl into our little family. Several of my sister in laws are also expecting and it will be so fun to get our kiddos together next summer at the family reunion. It's definitely starting to feel more like a little person in there and not just my imagination. I'm getting some pretty good thumps and it startles me sometimes at how strong the movement is already.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Hey ladies!

How's everyone doing? I'm pretty excited - I'm only working a half day today and then it's off to my next dr. appt.

I'm 19 weeks on Sunday and we have our u/s schedule for the first of the year :) I am so excited to see if we are bringing a baby boy or girl into our little family. Several of my sister in laws are also expecting and it will be so fun to get our kiddos together next summer at the family reunion. It's definitely starting to feel more like a little person in there and not just my imagination. I'm getting some pretty good thumps and it startles me sometimes at how strong the movement is already.

Other than the fear of exercising and bleeding again (and, for that matter, having sex and bleeding), I am doing fine! I feel movement every now and again, but it's not regular. It definitely happens for a few minutes, then nothing for a while. I'll be 18w on Sunday, so that's to be expected. I made my u/s appointment for 1/10, but we're not finding out the sex.

That's exciting that you'll have lots of babies around the same time! My parents and my uncle and aunt all had kids around the same time, so we grew up together. We had so much fun. We're still pretty close, too, even though we live far away!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Hey all!

I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas! I am back in the office today, but it's quiet, so we may go out to lunch and then figure out some way to kill off the afternoon while our son is in school.

I started having issues with pink in my discharge again. Most of the time it is associated with a BM, but this morning, for example, it happened, and I haven't "gone" today. However I went last night but didn't have the problem, so maybe it's latent irritation. Anyhow, I still feel the baby move and all, so I'm not super freaked out but am waiting on a call back from the OB nurse to make sure they don't need me to come in.

How has everyone else been doing?