The mythical "ideal partner" (?)

Options
flimflamfloz
flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
We often hear people talk about "the ideal partner" here or in other places...

Ideal:
"Conforming to an ultimate standard of perfection or excellence; embodying an ideal"
"The idea of something that is perfect; something that one hopes to attain"

I personally define "ideal partner" as:
"the partner that is perfect for me" not as "a perfect partner".
So when I talk about an ideal partner (for me), I'm not talking about some idealistic person (perfect person that I can only dream to find).

What is your definition of "the ideal partner"?
Is it a realistic one?
Would you be willing to settle for an imperfect person and why?

(I'm just trying to clarify a bit this idea of "ideal partner", notion that we see flying around and would like to grasp what people have in mind when they use this expression)

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking for a perfect person - that would be way too much pressure on me! I want someone that is imperfect in ways similar to me.

I know my ideal partner exists, I know him personally. So until I find someone that makes me feel like he does, someone that measures up in the characteristics important to me, someone that values me in return - then no. I'm in no rush to settle.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Oh, I agree. Ideal for ME!! Not such thing as a perfect person. Just perfect for ME!

I have met my ideal person, he's kind and generous, sexy and chatty. He's always in support of me, but wont take my BS! He compliments me but not overly so, just so as I know that I am beautiful to him. He is 'nice' to me and all people. he's a gent. But he doesn't suffer fools. He is independent and free spirited. He doesnt want to be tied down or told what to do. He's funny and smiley and doesnt like arguments. Yet, he's opinionated, discerning and chilled out.

There are other things, that I love and not so love about him, but like I said, nobody is perfect :bigsmile:
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I fully concur with your definition of ideal/perfect partner for ME.

Different strokes for different folks, so I do not subscribe to a perfect woman/man theory. I subscribe to a perfect for me or perfect for you theory.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Hmm...food for thought...
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Someone that cares about me in the same way I do her.
    On the same page and sharing lifes goals and values.
    I don`t ask for much.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I don`t ask for much.

If you don't ask for much.. you aren't going to get much.

I'd like to find someone who I share some common interests with. I'd like to feel I don't have to compromise my hobbies (whether it's the gym, shooting guns, football, etc) when I have a partner. If she was into the ballet, I'd gladly take her every so often as long as it doesn't happen to be on a Sunday afternoon during football season. :laugh:
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I don`t ask for much.

I'd like to find someone who I share some common interests with. I'd like to feel I don't have to compromise my hobbies (whether it's the gym, shooting guns, football, etc) when I have a partner. If she was into the ballet, I'd gladly take her every so often as long as it doesn't happen to be on a Sunday afternoon during football season. :laugh:

Sundays are for football period
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    MY ideal partner..

I'm throwing around the idea of what I want, as compared to what I need.
    I always say I want someone quite simliar to myself (or what I consider myself to be) - fun, outgoing, a great conversationalist, zest for life, different way of looking at the world, emotionally open.. etc.

I'm starting to wonder though if that makes the best "partner" for me. The idea of yin/yang and balance is starting to appeal.. of each of us taking on different roles that complement and work together. Part of this concept is that the balance is also fluid and ever changing, but complete. Perhaps I get to be the emotional, nurturing, funny, outgoing one.. while he is stronger in terms of leadership, responsibility, maturity and protection..

That doesn't mean that we won't share the same interests possibly, be emotional together or have a similar sense of humour or way of looking at the world..but it might mean I should look a little more carefully at who would complement me..instead of simply amusing me.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Perfect is a strong word. I don't think anyone out there is perfect, or even perfect for me. I mean, my girlfriend is great but she could look a little more like Mila Kunis and be a better cook, but I'll take it.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    The perfect person for me...

Patient, kind, understanding, funny, loving, smart, responsible but also a bit silly. Someone that makes me a more patient person, someone who encourages me to step out of my box, be spontaneous. Someone who supports me in whatever I try and encourages me to never give up (because I tend to do that when left to my own devices).
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I don`t ask for much.

Or if you ask for too much you won`t get any of it. :wink:
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I don`t ask for much.

I agree with Carl, but also with Mike. I feel like finding a person that shares my same goals and values should not be that hard to find. Now, finding that person with some of the same interests as me and we magically find each other is what is proving more difficult. I still think that finding a guy to teach me to shoot guns would be incredibly sexy, so that would be an added bonus. :wink:
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Ocho Pinko is my ideal partner right now. Boys drool.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    someone who shares the same goals, values, world view and we are both mutually attracted enough to not mind sticking each other's chocolate in the peanut butter.

possibility wise i dont think it's that hard but probability is another thing. like i've said before, that requires a lot of lightening to strike in the same place at the same time : similar visions + availability + attraction..
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    "My" Ideal would be...

A family man that values home life, but at the same time has a good circle of friends. He's good with children and a great role model. Loves football and baseball, and doesn't blink when I cuss at a bad call once in awhile. He's goofy, but knows when to be serious. Financially and emotionally stable, doesn't live with his parents (or roommates). Physically fit and enjoys the outdoors. Can normally be found in jeans/shorts, but doesn't mind cleaning up in a suit.

So, yeah. That's it.
  • oualum26
    oualum26 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Ideal partner! hahaha. I live by this quote:

"I'm not shooting for a successful relationship at his point, I'm just looking for something that will prevent me from throwing myself in front of a bus. I'm keeping my expectations very very low"--Bye Bye Love
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    "My" Ideal would be...

A family man that values home life, but at the same time has a good circle of friends. He's good with children and a great role model. Loves football and baseball, and doesn't blink when I cuss at a bad call once in awhile. He's goofy, but knows when to be serious. Financially and emotionally stable, doesn't live with his parents (or roommates). Physically fit and enjoys the outdoors. Can normally be found in jeans/shorts, but doesn't mind cleaning up in a suit.

So, yeah. That's it.

That sports thing again, huh? :tongue:
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    "My" Ideal would be...

So, yeah. That's it.

That sports thing again, huh? :tongue:

LMAO! You bet, don't have a choice when you're born in WI. I have faith that he's out there. :smile:
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    "My" Ideal would be...

So, yeah. That's it.

I can so tell that you're a single parent....me too. So, I have to agree. The above sounds dreamy. :love:
  • oualum26
    oualum26 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Being a woman who likes sports I swear is a deterrent. I'm a sports writer and I can't even pay a guy to go out with me. I hope it works well for other women!