The mythical "ideal partner" (?)

Options

Replies

• kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    If I was waiting for the perfect person...with no flaws I would tell myself no wonder you are still alone because he doesn't exist!

My Ideal partner will be full of flaws just like me :)...just hopefully none of the major deal breakers that I don't think I could live with.

Perfect for me is certainly more what I'm looking for, someone who accepts me, flaws and all, strengths and weaknesses.
    For example if he was a loud sneezer or played an annoying instrument..2 things my dad does that totally bug me...(I know loud sneezer is genetic and can't be fixed but it still annoys me)...if my mother was also annoyed by those things and decided he wasn't perfect and she was going to move on..I wouldn't have been born and she would have missed out on an amazing life partner.

Things like that don't bug me..I've dated men with physical disabilities..I've gone on dates with short men, fat men, ect. Its the personalities that ultimately would have been a deal breaker..do they smoke? Do they kick puppies? Do they have no sense of responsibility financially, are they lazy, no sense of humility or compassion? Those are the important things to me once the physical attraction is established.

Someday I'd like to be able to look at my ideal partner and tease him about his quirks and know that those are as much a part of him as his sexy smile, and passion for life that helped me fall for him.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

mike you are every girl's ideal partner.

I'm sure MANY on here will disagree :laugh:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quotes
    “We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
    ― Dr. Seuss
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options

mike you are every girl's ideal partner.

I'm sure MANY on here will disagree :laugh:

i hope you know i was being sarcastic lol. :tongue:

i would never date someone who uses a number on a scale to define a woman and who will not make his woman a priority.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    It boils down to 3 things

1. Look Attractive
    2. Show Up (This covers reliability, keeping your word, etc)
    3. Be Pleasant to be Around (Be a source of joy, pleasant cognitive associations and passions, not someone who adds complications. This point is very attitudinal.)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

1. Look Attractive
    3. Be Pleasant to be Around (Be a source of joy, pleasant cognitive associations and passions, not someone who adds complications. This point is very attitudinal.)

You hear that, b*tches? Get yer stepford wives on! Forget being a human being with emotions, struggles and personality. Got a problem? Hide it behind a vacant, bleached tooth smile and the perfect pot roast!

:sick:

You forgot to use your sarcasm font! :wink: :laugh:
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

1. Look Attractive

You hear that, b*tches? Get yer stepford wives on! Forget being a human being with emotions, struggles and personality. Got a problem? Hide it behind a vacant, bleached tooth smile and the perfect pot roast!

I think it's OK to have emotions and personality (and bleached teeth and especially pot roast). But, don't take your daily troubles out on your partner. That goes for men and women.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I'm changing my answer....

My ideal partner is Kitsune, but in male form... :drinker:
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    I think it's OK to have emotions and personality (and bleached teeth and especially pot roast). But, don't take your daily troubles out on your partner. That goes for men and women.

Yes, it is ok to have emotions and personality. Pot roast is good too. I'd like someone to cook me a pot roast.

Taking troubles out, diva-ish behaviors, unreturned calls/texts and a rude 'tude aren't the best things.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

1. Look Attractive

I certainly don't advocate taking your troubles out on your partner! But troubles exist and I don't advocate faking that everything is dandy for the sake of being "pleasant to be around". (I do make a divine pot roast though :wink: )
    My ideal partner is Kitsune, but in male form... :drinker:

How YOU doin'? :wink: :laugh:
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

Yes, it is ok to have emotions and personality. Pot roast is good too. I'd like someone to cook me a pot roast.

Taking troubles out, diva-ish behaviors, unreturned calls/texts and a rude 'tude aren't the best things.

Agreed. As long as I can rant after a ****ty day at work until the subject changes
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I would love to get my teeth bleached....lol

Hey.. I'm all for being real (just try and stop me!), but I think the boys make a good point. Is there any chance that at the start of relationships particularly, we get a little too comfortable with the unburdening of our baggage and troubles, a little too soon?

Not sure...just asking. Maybe that's what girlfriends are for? Perhaps our romantic partner doesn't need to be the person we rant to all the time?
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    Not sure...just asking. Maybe that's what girlfriends are for? Perhaps our romantic partner doesn't need to be the person we rant to all the time?

The way I see it, my partner will be my best friend that I have sex with. You get the good with the bad. Pretending like nothing is wrong when there clearly is creates a shiny veneer that will dull with time as frustration builds. Your partner should be someone that understands you, and having good and bad days is human. As long as you are respectful to your (wo)man and their desires (assuming their desires align with yours).
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a chance to read all of the posts but I like the quote from This Means War. "Don't pick the better guy. Pick the guy that makes you the better woman." I think that can go both ways.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    The way I see it, my partner will be my best friend that I have sex with.

That's a reasonable expectation. I think we all desire an arrangement like that.

Our same gender friends can cover a lot of the emotional aspects that a significant other can, but it's not always the same. There really is no substitute for the significant other.
  • Danielle_2013
    Options
    Hmm.. I wonder if romantic relationships can sustain this concept of an "ideal partner" and everything that goes with that.

Honestly, we women ask A LOT of men.

I don't particularly like the writing style...but the following article makes some very interesting (and in my mind true!) points.

http://www.sebastyne.net/featured/expectations-on-men/

Thoughts?
  • DMZ_1
    Options

What's the over/under on the amount of time it takes for me to be asked if I ghost write that blog? :laugh: :laugh:
  • Danielle_2013
    Options
    What's the over/under on the amount of time it takes for me to be asked if I ghost write that blog? :laugh: :laugh:

Ha ha ha.. this might be the funniest thing I've seen from you.. :flowerforyou:

It is actually written by a woman..so I'm waiting to be asked if I either ghost write it myself and/or when I'm getting together with either you or Mike... LOL

(sadly..no thigh gap, am out of contention.. reality hits hard..sniff..sniff)
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    Hmm.. I wonder if romantic relationships can sustain this concept of an "ideal partner" and everything that goes with that.

I don't particularly like the writing style...but the following article makes some very interesting (and in my mind true!) points.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately I see that mentality a lot and it breaks my heart. A lot of perfectly wonderful men end up with conniving *****es that emotionally *kitten* them over repeatedly. I saw this first hand with my mom and dad. While Mom was a good mom and I do love her, she was (and is) horrible to him. Even though my dad finally got his own place, he still loves her deeply. He still pays the bills and won't file for divorce because he doesn't want to leave the mother of his children destitute. He is so amazing a man and I grieve that he might never find the right woman for him, one that will respect him and adore him for who he is.

On that note, these guys really are bringing it upon themselves. At the point where, as you can see on this forum, there are a lot of wonderful single ladies, the ones that end up with the man are the ones that are superficial and hurtful - the women who care more about how they look than who they are. The type of women that "control the dating pool" as is touted by DM and Mike. It's the female version of "nice guys finish last". The nice guy is too busy checking out the vapid model instead of the intelligent engineer to notice that nice guys only finish last when it comes to b*tches.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?
    I would agree with what is implied that women are all about the "me, me, me".

Women's needs are the ones that matter and they should be fulfilled regardless of the desires of men. End of discussion (I am talking about dating, relationships, expectations from life, family, etc.).
    Most women assume (probably wrongly) that what they desire is what men desire too, and that their demands are not unreasonable and are how things should be. This is untrue sometimes... often...
    It happens often that women's desires go against the natural grain for a man, against the natural needs of a man. This is equivalent to wanting to suppress the needs of a man.

So, yes, in general, I would think that women are more demanding and egocentric than men in "relationships" (in the broad sense).