Woman should make the first move?

Options
lamby284
lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
Men will look at me and clearly be interested in me, yet not one has asked me out on a date whatsoever. I asked my guy friends and they said that if it were them, they would wait for the woman to make the first move. They said that girls can be really...I guess mean in turning them down. I don't understand this. Isn't the man supposed to ask the woman out? Are women actually jerks when turning down an offer? I have never been on a date or had a boyfriend so this is an enigma to me. I don't want to have to pursue a man, I want HIM to pursue ME. Input needed!

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I have been approached and I have done the approaching. I don't see it as "having" to do anything. But if I see what I want, I go get it. If more people - male or female- had that mentality, life would be so much more simple.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    There are many different ways to answer this. Whoever invented the rule that men are "supposed" to ask the woman out has probably been dead for a very long time.

Women want men to pursue them, well I want women to pursue me too so I can either wait around forever or take some initiative. You can't just sit there and wait for someone to ask you out.

I don't really pursue women anymore. In my experience if they don't show interest initially they probably never will. It's not that I'm scared of being rejected, I'm just tired of wasting my time. If a girl is too nice about it, she'll agree to go out with you even though she doesn't really want to and then she'll find a reason to cancel instead of just saying no.

So you expect men to ask you out just because they look at you like they're interested? I'll check out any chick with boobs and a pulse, that doesn't mean I want to ask them out. I need a little bit more to go by. There either has to be some sort of connection or she would have to make it pretty obvious that she is interested.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have been approached and I have done the approaching. I don't see it as "having" to do anything. But if I see what I want, I go get it. If more people - male or female- had that mentality, life would be so much more simple.

^^ totally this!
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Men will look at me and clearly be interested in me, yet not one has asked me out on a date whatsoever. I asked my guy friends and they said that if it were them, they would wait for the woman to make the first move. They said that girls can be really...I guess mean in turning them down. I don't understand this. Isn't the man supposed to ask the woman out? Are women actually jerks when turning down an offer? I have never been on a date or had a boyfriend so this is an enigma to me. I don't want to have to pursue a man, I want HIM to pursue ME. Input needed!

What makes you think they are clearly interested? If they were clearly interested, they would approach you and start a conversation. Trust me on this one.

I like to window shop on occasion, but that doesn't mean I'm interested in getting to know someone.

And no, women are not jerks for turning down an offer.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure about the reasoning behind other people's actions but s when there's a woman I'm interested in I will weigh up the chances she'd be interested in me and more often than not I come to the conclusion I shouldn't bother.
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    I'll never understand the reasoning of a woman.

"HE looked at me like he was interested, HE should have talked to me."
    Well either you were interested in him too and didn't talk to him either (yet somehow it's on him), or you weren't interested in him and hence the reason that he didn't talk to you.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure about the reasoning behind other people's actions but s when there's a woman I'm interested in I will weigh up the chances she'd be interested in me and more often than not I come to the conclusion I shouldn't bother.

You should take off your shirt. Improve your chances greatly :love:

Actually, that goes for women too.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options

What makes you think they are clearly interested? If they were clearly interested, they would approach you and start a conversation. Trust me on this one.

I like to window shop on occasion, but that doesn't mean I'm interested in getting to know someone.

And no, women are not jerks for turning down an offer.

Not every man is as bold as you Mike. There are several that are scared sh!tless at the thought of rejection. Didn't you just say in the other thread that it's easier for a man to flirt online than in person? Anyway....I know some men, one of my brothers being one of them...that need more work in their flirting/pick up skills. Just as there are shy women, there are shy men. Just because he doesn't ask her out, doesn't mean he's not interested.

Now, back to reality... I will agree with what Kits & PJ said - Sometimes you just have to go after what you want. Yes, it's nice to be pursued. Most times this will work. But, if you really want him, go for it!! :)
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    The more I read these things as time goes on the more I believe that anyone having expectations about what someone else should do the more likely they will be very unhappy about how it works out in the long run.
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    The more I read these things as time goes on the more I believe that anyone having expectations about what someone else should do the more likely they will be very unhappy about how it works out in the long run.

Amen to that Carl!
  • MikeM53082
    Options
    Not every man is as bold as you Mike. There are several that are scared sh!tless at the thought of rejection. Didn't you just say in the other thread that it's easier for a man to flirt online than in person? Anyway....I know some men, one of my brothers being one of them...that need more work in their flirting/pick up skills. Just as there are shy women, there are shy men. Just because he doesn't ask her out, doesn't mean he's not interested.

If a women is sending signals that she's interested, then a "clearly interested man" (as described by the OP) will approach 9/10 times. Either the OP isn't sending the right signals, like smiling, body language, etc or the man isn't interested.

I'm sure there are situations where the woman IS sending the right signals and an interested guy is still to shy to approach.. but that isn't all that common in my experience.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    There's a major disconnect that plays out here.

Most men would really like it if women made the first move. The problem is that the women who typically make first moves are not the object of men's desires. Men want women they find attractive to make the first move. Sadly for most men, this fantasy rarely plays out.

The women that are often perceived as the most desirable usually have no need to make the first move because they have plenty of options.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

If a women is sending signals that she's interested, then a "clearly interested man" (as described by the OP) will approach 9/10 times. Either the OP isn't sending the right signals, like smiling, body language, etc or the man isn't interested.

I'm sure there are situations where the woman IS sending the right signals and an interested guy is still to shy to approach.. but that isn't all that common in my experience.

Or beyond clueless. I could write a book about it.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options

All I need to approach is good eye contact and a smile.
  • Roadie2000
    Options

Most men would really like it if women made the first move. The problem is that the women who typically make first moves are not the object of men's desires. Men want women they find attractive to make the first move. Sadly for most men, this fantasy rarely plays out.

The women that are often perceived as the most desirable usually have no need to make the first move because they have plenty of options.
    ^ This times a billion
  • pa_jorg
    Options

So any woman who makes the first move is automatically an Ogre simple because she made the move to begin with?
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options

You should take off your shirt. Improve your chances greatly :love:

Actually, that goes for women too.

Kits I agree with your topless comments!! Well usually, there are definitely some people that should not go running around nekkid! But for the most part topless will work!
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It's been my experience that if a man is interested, he will approach and ask you out or get your number. I prefer to let men approach me, and I won't ask a man out or ask for his number. I prefer to let the man be the pursuer in the relationship. I like my relationships better when they evolve in that manner. When I was in my early 20s I did some pursuing from time to time and it never ended well for me. My relationships where the man pursued me have been much better relationships for me, so that is exclusively how I date now.

There are other women on this board will will happily ask men out and ask for their number.

It's all in what you are comfortable with.
  • MikeM53082
    Options

THIS.

An average to above average woman will get hit on MANY times in the course of a week. They don't need to approach because guys come up to them. Why put in the effort when I can just look nice and have guys come up to me?

The only time a mid-tier woman needs to approach is to get the attention of a top-tier man. This rarely works because the top-tier guy would rather approach a top-tier woman. However, a mid-tier man can approach a top-tier woman and have some success. This accounts for those mismatched couples we see.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options

Or beyond clueless. I could write a book about it.

^^^ THANK YOU! Even a confident man doesn't always know when a woman is throwing out signs. And, even then...is she single? Or just being nice? Yeah.....there are all kinds of things that could be going on in a guy's head.