Woman should make the first move?

Options

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    What Janie said is absurd because good looking girls don't have to approach men, they get approached.

Mike, I think we know that. It's been put into our heads time and time and time again here at SP.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem. I'm on a dating website and I'll chat with someone for a few days or even a week or more, and nothing. I *ALWAYS* have to be the one to initiate a first or second date. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Am I just too old fashioned? I figure if a guy is really into me, he'll ask me out. I've considered that maybe he isn't into me...but then why does he text me first or ask me what I'm up to, etc? You run out of things to talk about when you never hang out and you've covered all the "what's your favorite _______" bases already. I've just stopped trying and stopped talking to guys because of this...but I never know if it could have evolved into a great relationship had they asked me out.

I don't get it...
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

If men are being approached by mostly undesirable women... well...um... now you know exactly where those men fall on the desirability scale.

500px-HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg
    I knowwww! It's so funny when you hear the truth.

You get what you put out there.

*sigh*

So, next time a group of guys you consider undesirable approaches you, is that your male equivalent? I hear girls complain about guys they aren't attracted to e-mailing them online, is that their male equivalent also?

What Janie said is absurd because good looking girls don't have to approach men, they get approached.

You're not getting it. I want to start off by saying that I have absolutely NO issue with you. Frankly, I think that you just like getting a rise out of people. From what I recall, you had been in this group for a while and out of nowhere you started making these borderline-ridiculous statements. So very rarely do I take what you say seriously.

I've seen you or DM post time and time again about how there are many mis-matched couples in which the woman is obviously higher ranker than her significant other. This isn't always the case, but what does this say? In my opinion, it's saying that it isn't black and white, and I honestly don't think most people think in the way that you think. (or claim to think)

The difference is that what was said about the women doing the approaching was just flat out rude. Only crack *kitten*, obese women, or half-retarded women are approaching you?

Why do you think that is?

Because a.) The energy you put out suggests that you're on that level, b.) your perception is completely skewed and diluted to the point that you think that the average woman falls into one of these categories, when she is completely normal . or c.) All of the women approaching you are clearly delusional for thinking that they might have a chance with someone as godlike as yourself.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem. I'm on a dating website and I'll chat with someone for a few days or even a week or more, and nothing. I *ALWAYS* have to be the one to initiate a first or second date. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Am I just too old fashioned? I figure if a guy is really into me, he'll ask me out. I've considered that maybe he isn't into me...but then why does he text me first or ask me what I'm up to, etc? You run out of things to talk about when you never hang out and you've covered all the "what's your favorite _______" bases already. I've just stopped trying and stopped talking to guys because of this...but I never know if it could have evolved into a great relationship had they asked me out.

I don't get it...

Are you saying that no one contacts you or asks you out on the dating websites? Or no one you're interested in contacts you?
  • MikeM53082
    Options
    You're not getting it. I want to start off by saying that I have absolutely NO issue with you. Frankly, I think that you just like getting a rise out of people. From what I recall, you had been in this group for a while and out of nowhere you started making these borderline-ridiculous statements. So very rarely do I take what you say seriously.

I've seen you or DM post time and time again about how there are many mis-matched couples in which the woman is obviously higher ranker than her significant other. This isn't always the case, but what does this say? In my opinion, it's saying that it isn't black and white, and I honestly don't think most people think in the way that you think. (or claim to think)

The difference is that what was said about the women doing the approaching was just flat out rude. Only crack *kitten*, obese women, or half-retarded women are approaching you?

First of all, dbrightwell said it and other guys (DM and I) happened to agree with it.

Do you know how pathetic it would be if a guy took offense every time a women said she was approached by a bunch of losers when she went to the bar? That's how you sound right now.

I stand by my statement. I've always been able to land a much better women when I did the approaching. When I waited around and let women come to me, I've rarely been interested in the women that would initiate contact. That's it.
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    I have read that men need to feel like the aggressor...I think there is some truth to it so Id rather wait for a man to approach

This. This is the type of man I prefer anyway, which is another reason I hate having to ask the guy out. HAVE SOME GUTS (for lack of a better word). If you're THAT shy, it probably won't work out anyway.
  • christine24t
    Options
    I stand by my statement. I've always been able to land a much better women when I did the approaching. When I waited around and let women come to me, I've rarely been interested in the women that would initiate contact. That's it.

Sure, but you don't have to agree that every woman that dare approached you in your life was a crack *kitten* or obese or whatever. That's just rude. I highly doubt every woman that has approached you is a crack *kitten* or morbidly obese. Does that make sense?

They're just women...who decided there was something you worth approaching...tried and weren't your type. Can't you just agree they're not your type and move on?
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options

There are exceptions but I think it's fairly accurate. Most women (probably 70%) who have ever asked me out has been 1) morbidly obese, and/or 2) borderline retarded, and/or 3) looked like a crack

wow.

What's so "wow" about it?

It's just his dbrightwell's observation which has been nearly identical to my experience. Even DM agrees with this.

If men are being approached by mostly undesirable women... well...um... now you know exactly where those men fall on the desirability scale.

Oh, and to be on topic: I approach men all the time by saying hi, making chit-chat, and such (just to stay in practice) but I’ve NEVER had that translate into a date or a relationship. My dates have always come from men who approached ME.

I think what was meant by the original comment and is being missed by the harsher words of the statement is: women that approach men the most, do it because they are not being approached. Or the ones that send messages online. In my online experience, this is 80% true. In person it's a bit diff. because as Jannie pointed out there is subtle flirting as she does. I don't think that means if you approach a guy he's going to put you in one of those categories... just that, that is how it generally is.

I wish all women would approach someone they are interested in... I mean saying hi or sending a smile a dudes way isn't going to make your head explode with embarrassment. Any little thing you can do to show a guy his chances of rejection are lower will help him approach you!
  • MikeM53082
    Options

Sure, but you don't have to agree that every woman that dare approached you in your life was a crack *kitten* or obese or whatever. That's just rude. I highly doubt every woman that has approached you is a crack *kitten* or morbidly obese. Does that make sense?

They're just women...who decided there was something you worth approaching...tried and weren't your type. Can't you just agree they're not your type and move on?

I see what you're saying. I should have just said I'm not interested in the type of women that approach me. I'm just not use to being extremely PC and handling people with "kids gloves" all the time.

But now that I know everyone is very fragile, I'll look to correct my ways.
  • christine24t
    Options

I see what you're saying. I should have just said I'm not interested in the type of women that approach me. I'm just not use to being extremely PC and handling people with "kids gloves" all the time.

/endsarcasm

You don't have to be PC all the time, but you should keep in mind you are in a public forum, and you should also keep in mind that you don't have to be rude in categorizing the women...does that make sense to you?
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

First of all, dbrightwell said it and other guys (DM and I) happened to agree with it.

Do you know how pathetic it would be if a guy took offense every time a women said she was approached by a bunch of losers when she went to the bar? That's how you sound right now.

You are so good at picking at choosing what you want to respond to.
  • poncho33
    Options

/endsarcasm

You don't have to be PC all the time, but you should keep in mind you are in a public forum, and you should also keep in mind that you don't have to be rude in categorizing the women...does that make sense to you?

Men do categorize women though... that is just a fact of life. Women do it to men aswell, "Nice guy," "A-hole." Hell humans categorize everything!! :smile:
  • christine24t
    Options

/endsarcasm

Men do categorize women though... that is just a fact of life. Women do it to men aswell, "Nice guy," "A-hole." Hell humans categorize everything!! :smile:

I understand that. But why can't we just say "she's not my type." Simple. He doesn't have to call them crack *kitten*. I've had men talk to me that I don't find interesting/right for me, but I don't go "wow he's an a-hole" or whatever, so I expect that others will do the same. I understand we're all humans with feelings so I will usually just say to my friends, "well, he wasn't the guy for me." And I have had a guy laugh in my face when I talked to him (and by no means was he out of my league), and even then I didn't go and insult him.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I understand that. But why can't we just say "she's not my type." Simple. He doesn't have to call them crack *kitten*. I've had men talk to me that I don't find interesting/right for me, but I don't go "wow he's an a-hole" or whatever, so I expect that others will do the same. I understand we're all humans with feelings so I will usually just say to my friends, "well, he wasn't the guy for me." And I have had a guy laugh in my face when I talked to him (and by no means was he out of my league), and even then I didn't go and insult him.
    Some people really are nobody's type though. A crack *kitten* for example. I think morbidly obese women or men aren't the majority's type either.
    I think these people should work on their own issues before finding the confidence to approach people... because realistically their confidence is probably going to be shattered by strings of rejection if they keep approaching people in these conditions.

The dating market is very much like the job market. If you don't have the qualifications, it's time for you to work on your "offer".
    Then you doll up for the big day, and try to convince the "recruiter" (target) that you're the one.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Heeheee this thread is actually making me laugh... and feel great about myself...BECAUSE… unlike certain guys who haven’t had a proper date in ages (unless you count that older lady who was inviting Mike over to help her move in, lol) when I was active on Match for about 3-4 months I went on over 20+ first dates.

There WAS one total dud but most of the guys were extremely desirable (CFOs, owned their own successful construction/oil/ranch companies, top military ranks, gorgeous bodybuilder, etc)…not to mention BB (but I just had to mention him, lol).

And I never approached a single one of them first.
  • christine24t
    Options
    Heeheee this thread is actually making me laugh... and feel great about myself...BECAUSE… unlike certain guys who haven’t had a proper date in ages (unless you count that older lady who was inviting Mike over to help her move in, lol) when I was active on Match for about 3-4 months I went on over 20+ first dates.

There WAS one total dud but most of the guys were extremely desirable (CFOs, owned their own successful construction/oil/ranch companies, top military ranks, gorgeous bodybuilder, etc)…not to mention BB (but I just had to mention him, lol).

And here I am, 22, supposed to be in my prime dating years, and I've gotten maybe 4 emails from guys in the course of a year, haven't been on a date in about a year.

It goes to show you that some of this "older women don't get approached, younger women in are in their prime, only X kind of people get approached" crap we here is bullsh!t.
  • poncho33
    Options

But we've been over the fact that online dating favors women over men. And you wisely have broken the barrier many women have set for themselves of being picky about petty things in messeges! In the last year and a half I was 6 for about 30+ messeges sent online. 1 for 1 offline. And I sent messages to a wide range of individuals based on many factors.

**When I say favors, I refer to actually having interaction with someone you have any interest in.
  • laurenz2501
    Options

I don't get it...

Are you saying that no one contacts you or asks you out on the dating websites? Or no one you're interested in contacts you?

Guys contact me. Some I'm interested in and some I'm not (usually the latter). So both. I'm saying that when there is what seems to be a mutual interest, they never ask me out. Yet they'll keep contact going by asking how I'm doing or "what's up"...as a result the conversation goes nowhere and that's usually the end of it.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    And here I am, 22, supposed to be in my prime dating years, and I've gotten maybe 4 emails from guys in the course of a year, haven't been on a date in about a year.

It goes to show you that some of this "older women don't get approached, younger women in are in their prime, only X kind of people get approached" crap we here is bullsh!t.
    Everyone thinks you're taken, that's why... :wink:
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I have read that men need to feel like the aggressor...I think there is some truth to it so Id rather wait for a man to approach

This. This is the type of man I prefer anyway, which is another reason I hate having to ask the guy out. HAVE SOME GUTS (for lack of a better word). If you're THAT shy, it probably won't work out anyway.

Can anyone else see the irony in this?

Anyone?