Doctor Who

Options

Replies

• jmjm55077
    Options
    Been a doctor fan since it's inception in 63'...and yes I'm just that old:-) but then again...'People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.'...right, off then, toodles!
  • SaharaZaraMorocco
    SaharaZaraMorocco Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Turlough was at Gallifrey One this past weekend!
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I've never been to *anything* like that, but I now vow to visit Gallifrey One next year (and LebowskiFest sometime this year).

I might be able to pull off a Gwen Cooper with a non-curly wig...
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Ah, this makes me so happy! So many Whovians! Everyone I know thinks I'm crazy for watching it. All I say now is it is impossible to explain, you gotta just watch!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Huge DW fan.I started watching with #4 (I'm that old too). Adored Christopher Eccleston, I agree he gets short changed. Can't wait for the 2nd Doctor Sunday on BBCA.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Found this in the Metro t'other day

IMG_20130218_00013.jpg
  • MehiraDeOro
    MehiraDeOro Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Just started season 3, however I have seen random episodes out of order.

My very first was the library, then the 2nd was the weeping angels...both were effing creepy as all hell!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Those angels are right terrifying.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I've been watching Doctor Who my whole life.
    OK since I was like 4.
    The Seventh Doctor is my favorite!
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Eight was my first. Nine is my favourite, but I have a soft spot for Ten closely followed by Five and Four.
    I LOVE Doctor Who, and just got my bf addicted, too!

Rose and Turlough are my favourite companions. I can't STAND Amy (or Matt Smith). Blegh!

There are a bunch of BBC Audio dramas with Eight. They are fantastic!
  • spud_chick
    Options
    Anyone see Community tonight? "Inspector Spacetime" convention!
  • spud_chick
    Options
    Eight was my first. Nine is my favourite, but I have a soft spot for Ten closely followed by Five and Four.
    I LOVE Doctor Who, and just got my bf addicted, too!

Rose and Turlough are my favourite companions. I can't STAND Amy (or Matt Smith). Blegh!

There are a bunch of BBC Audio dramas with Eight. They are fantastic!

I want to go back and see episodes with the 8th... loved Paul McGann in the Horatio Hornblower series.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately he only has the movie and a bunch of radio plays.
  • SaharaZaraMorocco
    SaharaZaraMorocco Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hey spud_chick - Inspector Space Time was at Gallifrey One, as well. You definitely have to go next year!
  • spud_chick
    Options
    Hey spud_chick - Inspector Space Time was at Gallifrey One, as well. You definitely have to go next year!

Thank heaven I'll have time to bone up on the pre-reboot catalogue before then. So much to learn!
  • jamieralph
    jamieralph Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a big Doctor Who fan. I've watched the show from the reboot in 2005 and before that I saw the TV movie 1996 and can even remember watching it with my Grandad in the 80s. I distinctly remembered the hovering Dalek in Remembrance of the Daleks.

I've recently started re-watching the series from 2005 onwards as a Facebook friend has just started watching and wanted to start at the 'beginning' (of new who that is!) and have been reviewing episodes on my blog.

I like the Doctors since 2005 but (controversially maybe) prefer Eccleston to Tennant. Smith is my fave in the new era though. Don't think I've seen enough classic Who to have a fave overall Doctor though.
  • jamieralph
    jamieralph Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Best part about a companion named Amy in the show, is hearing the Doctor say my name. :blushing: Have to admit, when I first got to those episodes and heard him say "Amy", especially in a soft voice, my heart got all fluttery.

What? I'm 44, but I'm not dead! :love: LOL

lol Think I'll need to start watching more Troughton episodes. ;)
  • spud_chick
    Options
    'Doctor Who': Dalek designer Ray Cusick dies at 84
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/02/23/ray-cusick-designer/

"Future Alien director Ridley Scott, who was then working at the BBC, had been originally scheduled to design the look of the Daleks but, because of a scheduling conflict, Cusick was handed the task."
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    'Doctor Who': Dalek designer Ray Cusick dies at 84
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/02/23/ray-cusick-designer/

"Future Alien director Ridley Scott, who was then working at the BBC, had been originally scheduled to design the look of the Daleks but, because of a scheduling conflict, Cusick was handed the task."

I thought it was Terry Nation?
  • spud_chick
    Options
    Wow, the Wikipedia page has already been updated;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalek#Development

Development

Wishing to create an alien creature that did not look like a "man in a suit", Terry Nation stated in his script for the first Dalek serial that they should have no legs.[53] He was also inspired by a performance by the Georgian National Ballet, in which dancers in long skirts appeared to glide across the stage.[53] For many of the shows, the Daleks were "played" by retired ballet dancers wearing black socks while sitting inside the Dalek.[27] Raymond Cusick (who died on 21 Feb 2013)[54] was given the task of designing the Daleks when Ridley Scott, then a designer for the BBC, proved unavailable after having been initially assigned to their debut serial.[55] An account in Jeremy Bentham's Doctor Who—The Early Years (1986) says that after Nation wrote the script, Cusick was given only an hour to come up with the design for the Daleks, and was inspired in his initial sketches by a pepper shaker on a table.[56] Cusick himself, however, states that he based it on a man seated in a chair, and only used the pepper shaker to demonstrate how it might move.[57]