Welcome! Introduce Yourself!

Options

Replies

• timothydriver
    timothydriver Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm Tim 28 years old and am in the United States Air Force currently deployed but stationed in Germany. I am married to my wonderful wife Carrie and we have a husky named Maya and we do not have any kids yet we are still somewhat newlyweds coming up on our 2 year anniversary next month in November.

What I'm am doing is trying to maintain weight now after losing 17 pounds within the first several months after being deployed from 195 to 178 now and I'm 5'10". My goals here are to get my whole body stronger and improve my running time for my annual physical fitness test. Another one of my goals is to run 300 miles in 6 months which is not an easy task. I have to run at least 4 days a week and 12.4 miles but I try to go for 5 times a week 15.5 miles a week.

I'm no expert when it comes to working out or running even though I have been doing it off and on since joining the military almost 9 years ago. I sometimes go in phases but I am pretty disciplined and know that working out and running or cardio is very important and it keeps me healthy. Also my wife and I are trying to change around our lifestyle and be healthier all around along with being in the gym several times a week. We are both counting calories and tracking our workouts with our GPS watches and heart rate monitors.
  • PamHealthMission
    PamHealthMission Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome to Laura, Cassie, Meg & Tim! You've join a daily supportive group so jump right in and let us know how you are coming along. Feel free to send me a Friend Request. I am at MFP daily and committed to maintaining a lifestyle of good health & fitness.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tim! You've got great goals set-up and it's nice to have someone in maintenance. I guess we all end up there eventually, so it's nice to see your perspective. I'll be seein' ya in the daily check-in threads. :smile:
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Welcome to this group. I think you will like it. I log everyday so I will be here.
  • Brightdark
    Brightdark Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Claire. I'm trying to lose weight, starting with a small goal of 30 lbs. I'm getting married in September and want to look my best! I've been running every other day and doing dumbell exercises on the opposite days. Though honestly I'm don't know exactly what I'm doing with them! I would love somewhere I can check in everyday and be held accountable!
  • mlerand62
    mlerand62 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Good morning. My name is Marilyn. I am 51 years old and live in small town Idaho. I used MFP a couple years ago with no friends, groups, etc. I lost 25 lbs and quit logging. Thought I could do it on my own. Well.... I gained back that 25 lbs and of course I look worse as I lost some muscle and gained all fat. It is such a vicious roller coaster ride.

I joined again this spring and did pretty well. I have some great days and then I fall off the wagon. I don't log those days as I don't want to see the damage I did. I am a closet logger as well as eater!

I have a lot of weight to lose. I am the mother of a 24 year old son and a 21 year old daughter. My son is getting married in September, 2014 and my daughter has always wanted a December wedding. Her hints have me very nervous that 2014 might be the year. I need to lose my weight and find more money. :wink: :sad:

I like to walk with my sister when the weather is nice. I started swimming during the summer. Loved that, but they are only open for three months. The closest indoor pool is 65 miles away. That is not doable. I joined the gym 15 miles away and I try to get there 2 to 3 times a week. I do cardio and want to start working out with the machines. Free weights scare me, but I will get there too.

I was glad to find this group. I like the accountability and LOVE that I am seeing you take the time to welcome all the newbies. I am on day 2 of a dandy head cold, but I will get my butt back in gear.

Thanks for starting this group. I am anxious to make new friends and I know that WE can do this together.
  • PamHealthMission
    PamHealthMission Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Claire & Marilyn, welcome to you both! Great group of people checking in and sharing their fitness "story".
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Welcome Claire and congratulations on your future nuptials!
    Accountability is exactly why we're all here. Just make one commitment: to check-in everyday and the accountability is built-in. You can also learn so much from others in the group. Lots of dumbbell masters here. ;-) Might I suggest getting over to exrx.net for some dumbbell ideas.

Hi and welcome Marilyn. Sounds like 2014 might be a big year. I live in a city now, but used to live in a rural area and that can make fitness a challenge, but not impossible. Plenty of people here workout at home. But if you joined a gym, then don't be shy--get in there and get your money's worth and use those weights! Weights are the best bet for building back the muscle you lost. I'm recovering from a nasty little cold right now too, but have continued to check-in everyday anyway, just to "keep my head in the game". Hope you're feeling better real soon.

So, jump in to the daily threads, where all the action is. :happy:
  • SD67
    SD67 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am Dale and live in Alberta, Canada with my wife, 16 year old son, 3 year old daughter and 7 year old dog. I am 6' 5 1/2" and have always been big. It was probably mid to late 20's when I started to slowly gain weight and reduce physical activity. I am a TV addict and I have always loved Pop and Chips so I kept getting bigger until September 2013 when my Dr. suggested I start with the "Lifestyle Program" that my Dr. Clinic offers to their patients. It is run by a personal trainer who has a degree in Exercise Science. So, Sep 19 I went to my first appt which was a group appt. I got my weight, bmi, fat %, and other things calculated and then we had a group meeting so Char-Lin (Lifestyle Coach) introduce us to the program which she wanted us to focus on the Canada Food Guide. When I left the appointment I was completely depressed because I was sure I would starve based on what she was saying I could eat.

One of the things she gave us at the appointment was food diary sheets. A couple of days later I started to fill them out and decided that I don't want to write any crap down on the diary so I wouldn't eat it. A few days after starting this I found that my whole mentality switched and I didn't want to eat crap because I had no desire to eat crap. I was hooked and wanted this to happen. In the first two weeks Iost 17 lbs (officially as per Lifestyle weigh ins) and I was well on my way.

On Sep 19 I weighed 376 lbs and as of today I weigh 345. A few weeks after I started the program I incorporated exercise and working out. I started out just going to my local church (I had a key due to my calling) between 4:30 and 5:00 am where I walked/run in the gym. I have tried adding different things over time and now my regular routine is to walk/jog 3 laps then do modified pushups (hands on edge of stage that is 3 ft off floor), then 3 laps and do modified mountain climber, then 3 laps and jumping jacks then I repeat. I also started a couple of weeks ago going to a city pool on Saturdays where I spend 30 - 45 minutes on a bike and 30 minutes on a treadmill in their fitness area. Finally my lifestyle coach started holding weekly classes for all in the lifestyle program so Wednesdays after work I do this where she does circuit training including either weights or resistance bands.

My life, mind and now my body is changing completely and for the better!! My initial goal is to lose 100 lbs to bring me down to 276 lbs, although the day I see the scale dip below 300 will be completely amazing. After that I might push for another 30 or so lbs. I am going to talk to my doctor to see what a resonable weight is for me (tall and a big frame) while my lifestyle coach is focusing on my % of fat.

By the way I have decided to Vlog this journey and have 12 videos up on my youtube channel. If you are interested please watch the videos and comment. They will show you what I am doing for exercise and give you a glimpse into who I am and why I am doing this. My channel is http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-3PCGZ_c0m91rN7zn75aow .

Thanks!
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Welcome Dale, and congratulations on a great start to becoming healthier!

We're a pretty simple group. The concept is that you commit to check-in ( report your activity, workout, or rest) everyday on the daily thread, whether you workout or not. That's the accountability part. And as long as you're here, you can learn from others, ask questions, offer or get motivation, and make friends.

Nice to have you, and see you on the daily threads!
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Welcome Dale. I got off posting daily while I was on long trip in sept, I have been back daily this past week. It makes a difference to check in daily with any groups you belong to.

Love Canada, we have been to Alberta 3 times now. Two at Banff and Lake Louise. One time took grandkids caming up there. You have a beautiful country.
  • jenmck5
    jenmck5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Jen from Iowa. I'm 42. We (my husband and I) started MFP in late May. It has changed our lives. We needed it. I am working on almost 60 llbs. I am a high school math teacher in our small town. I love it. I am also a 2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. It is an important part of my family's life. My husband and kids do it as well. I participate in class about 3 times a week, however sometimes I am teaching not actively working out. I wear my fitbit to help gauge activity. I have done P90x a couple of times, but did not watch what I was eating so it was not as successful in pounds like I would have liked.

My husband and I walk most nights after our kids are in bed. We are aiming to have 10,000 on our fitbits.

I am now doing Daily Burn workouts online. I really enjoy it because I can change it up when I can only do a short workout, but I can also select a hard burn when I need it. I like keeping it different, it helps to keep me engaged. Doing this along with MFP has been amazing. I feel like what we are doing is working and the weight loss is steady, although slower at times. In about 6 months I have lost almost 60 lbs and I am very happy.

My goals are to lose another 20 lbs and work on toning. I know that the last bit of weight will be tough and will have to change the types of food I may be eating again but what I am doing is working for now. I am excited to be apart of this group.
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jen, I hope you enjoy our group.

My husbands mom is from Iowa.

Sounds like you keep very active, you've done a great job losing the weight. :flowerforyou:
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Welcome Jen!

I admire your achievements in Tae Kwon Do. My 8yo son does it and when I watch, I am always in awe. His teacher has been increasing their physical workouts lately, which is impressive enough, but the mental challenges on top of that always reassure me of my decision to enroll him.

Congratulations on the 60lbs so far! That is great work! Sounds like you have great momentum for those last 20 too.

We basically check-in here everyday (even rest days), to keep ourselves accountable to moving more and keeping a workout in our regular routine.

Welcome to the group, and see you on the daily threads!
  • StacyAnnN
    StacyAnnN Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Stacy! I've used mfp for a couple years now and this past year was somewhat sporadic but by simply being more mindful about my eating did lose 14 pounds in the past year. Last month I made a commitment to get back into shape with greater weight loss, further reduce my body fat% and increase strength and endurance.

I live in Iowa, recently transferred from MN because of a job offer. I work with a non-profit organization who serves at risk kids and I love what I do. I'm a single mom and three of my five children made the move with me and it has overall been a great transition! I did put on about 15 pounds or so during that transition time though combined with another 15 I put on during the extended hospitalizations of 2 of my children, that added up to more weight than I should have been carrying on my small frame.

I love cycling and a few years ago did a number of races & tri-relays. i want to get back to that. I also love the outdoors -canoeing, kayaking, stand up paddle, hiking, etc. I currently am working out 5-6 times a week - Les Mills Body Pump for now 2-3 times a week & cardio 2-3 times a week. I'd like to do more lifting but feel a little intimidated by it!

I'm glad to be here!! I'd love a few more friends here on mfp that are committed to bettering themselves so we can be positive encouragement to one another. Feel free to send me a friend request with a note!
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Welcome Stacy! I love that you have jumped right in to the daily threads. That's what it's all about--daily accountability.

You sound like a busy but focused lady. It sounds like you have a good weekly plan. I know what you mean about the "intimidation" factor to lifting. I'm just now "studying up" and preparing to start Stronglifts 5x5 beginner strength training program. Double intimidating for me because I'll be joining a gym, which I haven't done in yeeeeears, much less "that" corner of the gym :wink: :laugh: . If you haven't looked into Stronglifts, it's a popular beginner program because it starts from the beginning (empty bar) and follows a streamlined approach. Even so, it's taken lots of reading & youtube-watching & forum/group visiting to get a handle on it.

You can feel free to friend me, but I'm very quiet on the newsfeed, just using MFP for food logging and for the forums/groups in order to stay focused, but I just haven't had the time to spend on the newsfeed.

Looking forward to reading you on the daily threads!
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am the most inconsistent person ever :sad:

I do really well with eating and exercising all week then the weekend comes and I CAVE :cry: :grumble: or my hubby mentions eating out and I CAVE :embarassed:

How can I fix this? How can I resist the binging?

I want so desperately to be good to my body and give it the exercise and nutrition it needs, NOT the junk I keep shoving in :angry: :explode:

I have read everything motivational, looked a pics of healthy people, read all the exercising techniques, routines, etc and I STILL CAVE :mad:

How can I change? I need to be accountable to someone, something??? ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    I would suggest "banking" calories during the week, so that you can treat yourself on the weekend. Pick a day and IF you successfully banked calories, then allow that to be your weekly fun day...but only that day, don't let it creep into a whole weekend, or whole week. I've done it this way before. It's much easier to eat a little lower each day, knowing you get to have a fun day at the end of the week.

Hope that helps.

(oh yeah, fyi, I don't eat 1200, so it makes it much easier. You can't practically do what i suggested if you are trying to eat too low. If I were to be banking, I'd probably eat around 1800 every day and then have a big free day of 2600+. I'd basically be eating at my deficit calories withOUT exercise calories all week, and then eating all my exercise calories back in one delicious day.)

eta: I would suggest you find your BMR, eat at least that, or better yet, BMR+20% (which is sedentary activity, then eat also your exercise cals when you want, either each day, or banked for the weekend. Perhaps just going up to BMR+20% will make you feel better, like it's not such a struggle with yourself to "stay good" all week, then you can comfortably have a fun day with your exercis calories on the weekend.
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options

I probably do need to reeval my calorie level and adjust, I probably wouldn't feel so deprived which is leading to my binging!!

gonna figure my bmr now :wink:
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Donna. I started MFP in December 2012, so I've been working on my eating and exercising for about a year. My goal for 2014 is to exercise for at least an hour 6 days a week, with the acknowledgement to myself that a day at a dog event also fulfills the hour goal for the day. A few times last year I tried to add a run or similar to a dog event day and it was not a good thing. My dogs (2 Border Terriers) and I participate in a number of things such as flyball, k9 nosework, obedience, freestyle, and obedience.

Anyway, I'm committing myself to one hour for 6 days every week. Starting December 2013, when I started keeping track. Hopefully this group will help me stay committed!