March Check-in&Chat - Green beer to fuel your lifts!

Options

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Vash- Lovingfit.com has some good bodyweight workouts. I like her for so many reasons, but a big one is she really stresses form.

I did my second deloaded workout today. It was so fun! I had a great time feeling badass and barely resting between sets of weights that are light to me now, but would have been impossible 3 months ago. I was able to do squats both times without a knee brace for poor injured knee so I might just work up from 95# again :grumble: I've had to deload squats so many times when I'm so close to big plates I feel like I'm never going to get there. :angry: I did touch and go on my deadlifts and since the gym was mostly empty and I was the only one making a racket I got a few looks. It kind of just made me feel more badass. :laugh:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Best decision I ever made was moving the weight stuff to the dining room from the creepy basement. It also comes in handy for laundry days on no lift days. Bench to put the folded and a nice bar for the hanging stuff lol.

That would be SO nice. I love that I have room for weights in my house, period, but there isn't as much light in our basement. In my dream home I would have a lovely big exercise room on the main or an upper level with lots of windows.
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Best decision I ever made was moving the weight stuff to the dining room from the creepy basement. It also comes in handy for laundry days on no lift days. Bench to put the folded and a nice bar for the hanging stuff lol.

That would be SO nice. I love that I have room for weights in my house, period, but there isn't as much light in our basement. In my dream home I would have a lovely big exercise room on the main or an upper level with lots of windows.

Our dining room is huge and frankly a lot of wasted space. I already had the treadmill and the bike in there why not just move the table to the kitchen eating area and add the weight bench and squat rack. Worked out perfectly. Only drawback is I can't drop the weights on the floor so will eventually have to go back to basement , but hopefully by then we will have a section finished off and it won't be so creepy.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

Our dining room is huge and frankly a lot of wasted space. I already had the treadmill and the bike in there why not just move the table to the kitchen eating area and add the weight bench and squat rack. Worked out perfectly. Only drawback is I can't drop the weights on the floor so will eventually have to go back to basement , but hopefully by then we will have a section finished off and it won't be so creepy.

Would a set of those rubbery floor mats help? Or would it still be too hard on your floor, do you think?
  • Angellaree
    Angellaree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You ladies are bringing it! Congrats to everyone on their awesomeness.

I have a quick NSV to share. I tried on a pair of jeans last night that were a size smaller than I thought I needed. And woo hoo--they were TOO BIG! The scale isn't moving, but clearly the fat is. Happy dance.:laugh:

Woo hoo!!:flowerforyou:
  • Angellaree
    Angellaree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Workout B went much better today!

Squat 70
    OHP 38 (used the EZ bar and added some weight)......form felt good and the weight was still a challenge!
    Deadlift 75

Coming along slow but steady and trying to focus on keeping good form. Scale actually went up a little but I really haven't been eating very well and not doing as much cardio as I probably should BUT I FEEL great! SO glad I decided to hop on the heavy lifting wagon with you girls ( and guys) :bigsmile:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Back at 'my' gym yesterday (so a proper rack!!), workout B for the second time. Failed my final squat because I went too low and had to step forward, still not sure I've got great form, but only have the bar with 40kg, may stick there to keep trying. my knees look less wobbly, but I have to consciously move the bar away from my neck (at least I found the cushioning this time) and I'm not sure my back is straight. coming back up isn't as fluid as I'd like either. However I think I'm getting low enough, and I'll stick at that weight again to focus on form. I seem to have the breathing better at least (or the not breathing on the way down more like!).

OHPs went up from bar only to 22.5kg, and that was a struggle. Definitely needed the rest periods and the final lifts took some grit. but I did them yay. At least form isn't an issue there - ensure knees are locked, mind your chin, make sure your arms go to vertical... lol!

Deadlifts I dropped down to 50kg and attempted to prop the bar on a couple of weights, but it kept rolling off and irritating me so next time I'm going back to 60kg and manning up. I did it and think my form was ok.

there's nobody in the 'testosterone zone' I'd trust to ask for an opinion though, although one kindly sorted out a bar that had been left lying around with about 70kg on one end, and showed me how to move some enormous safety bars off the rack for me. I probably should have left them but would have had to faff around with their positioning and felt a bit dim!
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    First lift after the chiro. I think it helped my back, but it's still not happy

Squats at 82.5# - although I initially loaded up the bar as if it were the 15kg that was in the rack last time, stepped under, squatted and realised it was the 20kg. So, new PR, I guess...have also figured out how to compensate for my crooked back without throwing my hips out. More practice needed, so no more weight adding for a bit.
    OHP - dropped back to 15kg (fixed weight barbells only - 10, 15, 20, 25kg) and really focussed on making my weaker side do its share. Again, sticking at this weight for a while.
    Deadlift - back waaayyy too sore to attempt these.

I did try the "hang from the pull-up bars to stretch your back out" thing and got some wonderful popping noises when I did my regular stretches afterwards. Thank you whoever first mentioned it!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Everyone's doing great!!

I had workout A this morning, which rounds out week 11 for me. Squats actually felt pretty good at 85 pounds. Good thing since I'm supposed to go up on Sunday :laugh:

Bench feeling a little tough, but not a struggle at 77.5lb. I deloaded after I attempted 80 a couple sessions ago, so I'm hoping I can power through that next time.

Rows felt pretty good; repeated them at 80lbs. I still don't know if they're doing anything, but I guess I can keep going... Ugh.
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Would a set of those rubbery floor mats help? Or would it still be too hard on your floor, do you think?

I'd be scared they'd actually go through the floor lol :noway:
  • hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    So I weigh in tomorrow with the weight loss and body fat challenge I joined in Feb. I can't wait to see my numbers....even though I'm a little scared! I didn't get to the gym last night and I can't go today...but that might work in my favor since my weight tends to be higher after lift days.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    So I weigh in tomorrow with the weight loss and body fat challenge I joined in Feb. I can't wait to see my numbers....even though I'm a little scared! I didn't get to the gym last night and I can't go today...but that might work in my favor since my weight tends to be higher after lift days.

My weigh in for my group is on Monday (after a weekend where I'm going on a brewery tour for a friend's birthday and eating out on Sunday). Then I have progress pics due a week from Sunday. The group has decided to continue on, but I think I'm going to leave. They have strange challenges, like "do a workout video a day this week" or "do 100 squats every day". A) I'd just have to eat more, and B) no. But, I think I'm going to keep the monthly progress pictures. I can't really see the differences in the mirror, but the pics are good reminders of how far I've come.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'd be scared they'd actually go through the floor lol :noway:

What if you got a power rack and squatted in it? The squat weight height would be the only thing with enough speed + weight to dent the floor. You'd probably be too low with deadlifts and rows to generate enough force.

Today was 10% deload day minus deadlifts. Moving right along. Then again it's week 1 so this is the ez mode part, and I'm enjoying it for what it is. :bigsmile:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options

My weigh in for my group is on Monday (after a weekend where I'm going on a brewery tour for a friend's birthday and eating out on Sunday). Then I have progress pics due a week from Sunday. The group has decided to continue on, but I think I'm going to leave. They have strange challenges, like "do a workout video a day this week" or "do 100 squats every day". A) I'd just have to eat more, and B) no. But, I think I'm going to keep the monthly progress pictures. I can't really see the differences in the mirror, but the pics are good reminders of how far I've come.

I left my March weight loss challenge group for the same reasons, the challenges included things like "workout every day this month". I'm a believer in rest days!!

I did, however meet my goal in a Spring Equinox Challenge, and then I left that group.

And with progress pictures, I decided to do them every 20 pounds. I saw that someone had done that in their Success Stories thread and it was very compelling. I'm due for my first 'update' in two pounds :happy:

Would anyone be interested in doing some kind of a challenge here in this group? I'm thinking, we pick a goal to meet by the Summer Equinox -- a weight, measurement, or lift poundage/kiloage, and then report weekly on our progress towards it? No daily challenges or anything like that, but something to focus on and report on weekly.
  • fishlover888
    Options

Would anyone be interested in doing some kind of a challenge here in this group? I'm thinking, we pick a goal to meet by the Summer Equinox -- a weight, measurement, or lift poundage/kiloage, and then report weekly on our progress towards it? No daily challenges or anything like that, but something to focus on and report on weekly.

Definitely would be interested in something, maybe something % based since we are all at different starting points? :)

Checking in.. First fail today. Was kind of annoyed but I suppose I should be excited...
    Today I did
    Squats: 105 5 x 5
    OP: 60 x... 4, 4, 3, 3, 3. Rawr. Should have gotten 5 the first set but I didnt't wait long enough after warm ups, but I know I can because I've accidentally done it when I was supposed to be doing 55.
    DL: 105 1 x 5

Tell you wait, waiting 5 minutes to only squeak out 3 reps felt a little silly, but I have 2 more tries to master the 60 before deloading!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

A) I'd just have to eat more, and B) no.

Audii....this made me seriously giggle my *kitten* off! Thanks for the laugh this afternoon!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    You ladies are awesome!

I'm jealous of the home gym setups a few of you have. It would be more relaxed and less rushed when you don't have a mouth-breathing lunk waiting to do bicep curls in the rack.

Workout B for me today.

Squat: 135--big girl plates FTW!
    OHP: 70 (5-5-5-4-4); I shocked myself with this one. I considered adding the 1.25lb magnets that my gym has (and I just found out about so pretty excited) but decided to increase by 5 instead. It was rough and lots of ugly faces were made but I did it. I may have sore shoulders tomorrow since they feel loose and liquid right now.
    Deads: 155

@juliem: I love those socks!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in a challenge through the summer! I would be in it for the lifting goals since I am not working on losing weight or BF% at this point.

Workout B today:

Squats: 115
    OHP: 65
    Deadlift: 120

I hit all sets so I was happy. I'm now adding time to my rest periods for squats and OHP. Almost reached failure on the very last rep of OHP so I know 70 will be more than challenging. I was just excited to "plate up" to the 35's on Squat and Dead. The big plates are in my future!

fishlover - you will get the OHP in no time!

Chubby_checker - Congrats on an awesome lift!!! Big plates FTW for sure!
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Meh workout last night. Finally hit 120 on squats, but only 5554. Then decided to screw it because I'm sick of 5 x 5 and am only going to do 3 x 5 hereinafter. Now I feel better. :angry:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

I left my March weight loss challenge group for the same reasons, the challenges included things like "workout every day this month". I'm a believer in rest days!!

I did, however meet my goal in a Spring Equinox Challenge, and then I left that group.

And with progress pictures, I decided to do them every 20 pounds. I saw that someone had done that in their Success Stories thread and it was very compelling. I'm due for my first 'update' in two pounds :happy:

I more or less quit challenges when I started really lifting - I tried for a few weeks but its just IMPOSSIBLE, especially when they want you do to stuff like bodyweight squats, lunges, pushups, etc, and your muscles are like "NO **** YOU I AM TIRED"

If you guys wnat to do a challenge I think the best way to structure it is to do something like
    Goals met/goals achieved

and I recommend doing number of times you did the thing rather than progress (because progress can be discouraging).

So you'd do like:

3x/week stronglifts
    2x/week any cardio
    (and people can make their own)
    and then every week people would post how many out of how many, so like, I completed 4/5 this week!

and then at the end you just tally up to see who had the highest completion percentage.