March Check-in&Chat - Green beer to fuel your lifts!

Options

Replies

• BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I have officially switched to 3 x 5 and I am back in love with lifting!!!! Plus I scored a deal on craiglist yesterday and now have an olympic bar and weights instead of my standard ones, which is a huge upgrade.

And I nailed 120 squats today--like I could have done them all day. I'm seriously happy as 4 weeks ago I could not hit 115.

Terrific on all counts!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Just checking in on everyone. Didn't have the greatest weekend, but did lift on Saturday. They were all repeat weights, so nothing too exciting other than I almost managed to hit 5x5 (5-5-5-4-4) with 90lbs on the bench press.

Dani has me absolutely convinced that I need to get a foam roller. My fiance got me one of these for Christmas one year:

30599804-260x260-0-0_Oster+Oster+Stim+U+Lax+Massager.jpg

It's a massager that fits over your hand. Barbers used to use them in the 60s and 70s (I believe). I like it, but I think the roller would be better since I get a lot of sighs and eye rolls when I ask for a back/shoulder massage.
  • hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Hi girls! You are all kicking butt! I had a crappy food and no working out weekend, but I'm back at it today just as soon as mom get here to watch the rug rats. :). I was hoping to get an earlier start, but beggars cant be choosers.

In other news, I found out I officially won the 100$ in my weight class for that challenge!! Woot!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options

I need to take it down soon - it's kind of starting to torment me! I also set off a flurry of cinnamon roll cravings on my friends list.

Oh man, now I know exactly what it is....*drool* I was trying to figure it out the whole of yesterday, knew it was sweet and warm and oh...
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    @fisher....I actually train fasted :laugh:I find that I do have better workouts that way but I do find that what I eat the day before is crucial and I really didn't have the greatest food day on Saturday, so that could have had something to do with it....but I still think I should have seen some progress!

@Ges.....yeah, I didn't think that 2lbs was so ambitious as first but now I sure do :laugh: Hopefully the 1lb increases will serve me better!

@chubby....I just got a foam roller this weekend and while it did try to kill me at first, it's slowly becoming less of a kill and more vicious assault.....and it's so horribly effective! Go for the foam roller!
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I'm pimping out my blog...but there's a purpose! I found some pics from last June and I was between 140-145...I'm sitting at 140 now, but the body recomp that I've gotten from lifting heavy is cray-cray!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/extraordinary_machine

Moral of the story--throw out the scale...seriously.

You look terrific and what a great story of recomposition!! Did you simply eat at maintenance all year or did you do something fancy-shmancy?

I've been all over the place with my eating...slight deficit with eating back calories,then zig-zagging while eating ask cals, now, I'm at 1730 and not eating back cals, my lifts are starting to stall, so I might up it to 1900 to see if that makes a difference.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    @tameko - I am kind of loving that profile picture. It makes me all warm and fuzzy seeing it... :love:

@vegas - I am stopping after work to see if I can't get a foam roller myself. I watched all kinds of videos this weekend on the best way to use them, so I'm totally in, especially if they'll help my butt.

@hofo- I was an absolute slug yesterday.

I did well Saturday in that I got to 95 on my squats, which really tickled me. The two 25 lb plates looked pretty bada$$ on the bar, LOL...Did 60 on my bench, which was a relief. I may have mentioned that I don't math so well, and thought I'd done 60 previously so went from 55 on the last of the warm up sets to 65 for whatever reason and literally had a conniption fit that I couldn't do it. I went and double checked my spreadsheet and :blushing: whoops. Sixty went very well, which is good, because THAT is where I was supposed to be, LOL...

Had a deload on my rows, which was much needed. Form was a lot better! Gonna deload on my deads, too, tonight, I think, simply because my hips and lower back are acting stupid.

Everyone is kicking butt and taking names! :bigsmile:
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    @fisher....I actually train fasted :laugh:I find that I do have better workouts that way but I do find that what I eat the day before is crucial and I really didn't have the greatest food day on Saturday, so that could have had something to do with it....but I still think I should have seen some progress!

Vegas, It is so interesting how opposite things work for different people! I am assuming that "train fasting" is that you don't eat before a workout?

"but I still think I should have seen some progress!" We should ALWAYS see progress!!! LOL! You are doing great! No worries! what ever weight is giving you trouble now will soon be history!

Squat: 5x5 at 130lb!!! this is the weight i was lifting when I hurt my back a while ago!!! I may stay at it for a bit just to be safe but I'm pretty pleased!

Bench: 55554 at 90 lb. I pushed that last rep and nothing happened so I had to put it down on the safety bars. I think you guys call this a roll of shame (especially if you don't have safety bars) but I am in my basement so there is no shame and I am impressed that I tried to push it up. I have discovered that if I push up the really heavy ones (like the last rep) up a little bit forward (closer to my head) of where I normally do it I can get it up but this time I couldn't even get it to that position. Anyway it's all good!

Row: 5
    1x5 at 90 and I realized that this was going to be too much so I deloaded and finished.
    4x5 at 87 lb.
    I am noticing a pain in the middle of my upper back. I guess I am working those muscles. I tend to feel it more in my hips and lower back. So this is good!...I think?! ; )
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Some seriously strong ladies in here! And ladies who torment us with cinnamon rolls. . .LOL.

Third A this morning -
    Squats 65
    BP 55
    Row 75

I had been doing a bent-over row like I learned with dumbbells, but this morning I watched the video about Pendlay rows, and so that's what I did today - It felt pretty darn awkward, but I could tell that it was a more efficient and powerful move. I had a pretty funny moment on my last set of squats - I had been internally giggling at all the grunts I was hearing from other (male) lifters, and then on my last rep, my expelled breath made a grunt-like noise. So I better stop throwing mental stones!

Now the challenge is to not eat back my body weight in food today - this lifting makes me ravenous!
  • hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Today:
    3x8 95lb and 2x5 115lb squats...realized I could be using one 35lb plate instead of the 25 & 10! Duh!
    95 lb deads 3x5
    70 lb rows 3x8

Also ran a 9 min warm up mile which is a pr for me!
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    After a 5 day hiatus from lifting because of my trap muscle, I now realize I should have taken a few more. But on a brighter note I didn't push it only did 3x5 today since it was still hurting. Now it's really hurting.

Start of week 4:

Stationary bike x10mins

Squats: 80lbs will try 80 again next time but may have to deload because I had a little form breakdown on my last set. Of course I did more than my usual warm up too. We'll see. Don't know if it was the weight or because where the bar was hitting my trap where it's still sore. I just know I wanted to throw up on every rep after I got the 80 on there. Warmed up with empty bar, 55 and 75lbs with no problem.

OHP- 52.5lbs weren't too bad but only did 3 sets. I still hate hate hate them!

Deadlift- 135lbs. Boom got to move up to the 45lb big bad *kitten* girl plates. Think I was more excited about that than the actual lifting of it. Got 5 of those babies out with no problems. And no doubt will be feeling it in my abs later.

Working a 36 hr shift starting tonight and will definitely take my foam roller and yoga mat with me, along with my biofreeze!

Nice numbers ladies! Everyone looking all bad *kitten* for sure.

@hofo & Julie- I can't math either. I usually end up adding more plates than I need or not figuring out I can use1 plate instead of 2 or 3. I have started writing down what plates I need for each lift. Helps tons with my no math brain. And I love being able to use the bigger plates.:glasses:

@tameko I want a cinnamon roll, all gooey and warm and its all your fault!

@kira I still do bent over rows and one day may switch to pendlay but for right now I don't have a problem so I'm not changing it lol. WTG on your numbers. Impressive for just being so early in.

@fisher. I am still soooo jealous over your bench number. Great job!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    So I kinda blew it yesterday :blushing: It was supposed to be OHP/deadlift day, and I knew that when I walked over to the squat rack, but when I finished squatting I went to the bench press because I had totally forgotten what I was supposed to be doing. :mad: Oh well. It'll all come out in the end.

Squat 80 pounds, went really well
    Bench 65 pounds and six sets, ready to move up to 70 next time
    Row still can't move up to 80 yet 2 rows at 80, the other 23 at 75

When I was squatting I worked on moving my feet out a little bit more and turning out my toes. It went really well -- I was able to keep my thighs parallel with my feet and there was no pain in my bad knee, which had really held me back when I first started SL. Even this morning it's still better than usual. I am quietly beginning to be hopeful that squatting deep is actually going to help my knee it just like they said it would.

On the other hand, the wider stance and additional turnout meant I really felt it in my adductors in a big way. I was in bed early last night LOL
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Went to the gym this morning. Squats were still a bit of a struggle, but nothing too bad. Bench was a pretty big struggle. I'm back to 80, which is where I failed last time. Going to try and repeat that weight next time. Rows had a lot of form breakdown. Tried the first three sets at 82.5, and the last at 80. They've never felt good, and I still don't know if my form is right. I did a quick look in the mirror this morning, and my back was pretty much parallel with the floor. I don't know going to try a deload. I almost want to deload all the way to 65 and work on form, but that might be too much since it's basically starting from scratch. I think I'll try 70 or maybe 72.5 next time (that would be a 10% deload).

Oh, and I notice that my wrists are all bent and contorted when I hold the bar for squats because I do a normal grip (with thumb). So, I tried the other grip and holding my wrists straight. Yeah, worst pain ever in my right wrist. It was on the side, and I've had surgery on that wrist for carpal tunnel, so I don't know if that's why, but for now I'm going to stick with my bent wrists.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    30599804-260x260-0-0_Oster+Oster+Stim+U+Lax+Massager.jpg[/quote]

That looks painful, yet amazing. :laugh:

Have you used it? Do you like it? I have a shiatsu massager for my neck/shoulders and absolutely love it!

I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-PTRoller-Athletics-Roller-Massager/dp/B003XR7YLA

And I just last week bought a 30-inch high-density foam roller.

I love both, for different reasons.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Oh, and I notice that my wrists are all bent and contorted when I hold the bar for squats because I do a normal grip (with thumb). So, I tried the other grip and holding my wrists straight. Yeah, worst pain ever in my right wrist. It was on the side, and I've had surgery on that wrist for carpal tunnel, so I don't know if that's why, but for now I'm going to stick with my bent wrists.

How wide was your grip? I've got a history of wrist issues (too much clay kneading in my former life), and I find that when my grip is too narrow that the thumb-over hold really aggravates my wrists. But if I move it a little wider, the pain disappears. Ultimately, if it doesn't hurt to do with your thumb-under, and the bar isn't sliding up and down your back, I imagine you'd be fine - but I'm sure more experienced people will jump in!

And based on what I read here about the foam rollers, I tried one on my quads this morning - holy cow, that was painful. But, I'm not walking like a duck now, so that's good. :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

How wide was your grip? I've got a history of wrist issues (too much clay kneading in my former life), and I find that when my grip is too narrow that the thumb-over hold really aggravates my wrists. But if I move it a little wider, the pain disappears. Ultimately, if it doesn't hurt to do with your thumb-under, and the bar isn't sliding up and down your back, I imagine you'd be fine - but I'm sure more experienced people will jump in!

And based on what I read here about the foam rollers, I tried one on my quads this morning - holy cow, that was painful. But, I'm not walking like a duck now, so that's good. :)

So, when I started in January my shoulders were really tight. Really tight. I couldn't get my hands anywhere near my body; even out as wide as the squat rack, squats hurt my shoulders more than anything. They've finally loosened up, and so I've tried pulling them in closer to my body for a more "correct" form. Still, they are probably a little too wide (just outside that narrow smoothing ring that a lot of people use as placement for bench press).
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    @audii -- I think you should use whatever grip feels comfortable to you. Rippetoe advocates a very loose grip (you're basically just bracing the bar steady with your hands) simply so the weight of the bar doesn't end up on your hands/wrists, but on your back where it should be. So however you gotta make that happen ... is probably fine. I definitely wouldn't advocate aggravating a former surgical site in the name of "form" because you're probably dealing with scar tissue there and whatnot, so the Rippetoe grip/brace may not even work for you at all.

Also, shoulder dislocations are really great to help loosen those shoulder joints. I didn't even know about them until last week and they feel pretty fabulous once you get used to them.

Today is "where did I put my brain?" day for me.

I did a 10 lb unintentional deload on dead lifts and rows because my math is broken. I also only loaded one weight on my bar for squats instead of 2 and then wondered why my right knee kept making popping noises while my left knee was fine. I ended up going just to parallel for the second set to adjust. Until I did bench presses and wondered why my left side felt so light and noticed it didn't have a weight on it.

D'oh! :embarassed:

Least I was able to pull my math together for the rest of the workout and did get all my 9 reps in for all my sets. Jeez.

Just took me forever to get going today. I'm supposed to work in a couple hours and am wondering if they let you call in sick on account of "my brain is broken today" ... :huh:

i-cannot-brain-today-i-has-the-dumb-cat.jpg
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    @ dani--I love that massager thing. The only bad thing about it is the straps that keep it on your hand are little springs. Hurts like a ***** if they get caught in your hair. Also, those dumb days happen to the best of us. The picture cracked me up.

@audii-- your squat grip sounds similar to mine. I tried it the way it "supposed" to be and it threw me off. So bent wrists it is. I'm sure I'll have to make adjustments when the weights start getting really heavy, but for now it's ok.

Workout B--repeat numbers
    Squat:135
    OHP: 70
    Deads: 155

OHP was the hardest thing I've done in awhile. I managed all 5x5 but it was HARD. Like cry in relief when you're done hard. I also had someone compliment me on my deadlift form. Dumb as it sounds, it threw off my workout. I was doing deads first since someone was using the rack, then did squats and OHP. I could not get my **** together for the squats. Wobbly, leaning too far forward, not getting parallel, etc. Sucked.

I did zumba last night and my calves are killing me. I need to get that foam roller ASAP!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Man you ladies are hard to keep up with...I am feeling old....anyway...

I had a mega refeed the other day as have been on deficit now for about six weeks. (I had a couple of minor refeeds at the 14 day marks in between, just so I was not tempted to binge, etc) They work for me as I was getting really fatigued as the week wore on, I presume this is because of glycogen depletion. This last one (which caused a bit of bloating and flatulence on the day, but back to normal the next thankfully) was 2800 cals...I ate more icecream (200g) than I had ever done in one sitting, it was lovely! I feel rested, recovered and I am pretty certain that this week's workouts are going to be winners. I am still lifting heavy to lose the last bit of poundage...7 lbs until first goal weight (which happens to be the weight I thought I was at all this time, since I began lifting hahahahaha!) Stupid scales, they are now in the bin! I am down a bra size (up a cup size though *eyerolls*), down half an inch on the hips and fitting into a smaller size jeans, trousers, etc. I am sorry I do not have pics to show peeps, but I am very self-conscious. This is turning into a ramble with no obvious conclusion...um..have treated the weight loss restart as a challenge rather than a failure, because I had wanted to lose more fat in any case. I suppose what I am trying to say is that perseverance is definitely the key ladies and gents. I have become discouraged at times, but this is a slow process and lots of the yummy peeps here on MFP have taken at least a year or two to get to where they are now.

You are all doing so well. Here's to perseverance!

I forgot to add my stats...smashed the squats and dead and barbell row PR, now to hit the OHP and bench this week...

Squats - 110 kg (242 lbs)
    Bench Press - 65 kg (143 lbs)
    Barbell Row - 72.5 kg (159.5 lbs)
    Overhead Press - 42.5 kg (93.5 lbs)
    Deadlifts - 110 kg (242 lbs)
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Squats - 110 kg (242 lbs)
    Bench Press - 65 kg (143 lbs)
    Barbell Row - 72.5 kg (159.5 lbs)
    Overhead Press - 42.5 kg (93.5 lbs)