March Check-in&Chat - Green beer to fuel your lifts!

Options
1495051525355»

Replies

• Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    (I know it's hard to ditch the scale though...which is why I literally HIDE mine until the first of the month.)

I'm sloooowly inching my way to doing exactly that.

Right now my scale is between my bedroom and the shower, so it's just pure habit to step on it repeatedly for no reason whatsoever.

Decades-old habits can be really hard to break even if it's just a mental game out of fear of cutting the umbilical cord and somehow blowing up like a balloon because your crutch is gone.

Do you have a guest bath/second bath? I keep mine in there. So its not an automatic thing for me, I have to go down the hall and do it -which I used to do ANYWAY but since we currently have someone renting a room from us I don't like to walk around my house naked (or in underwear) to use the scale, so that's a pretty good deterrent. (we're kicking him out soon though so we'll see what happens - I miss walking around my house naked dammit!)

Its pretty great to break with the scale. I am much happier.

I'm seriously considering making it one of my April goals. Weigh only on my progress pic day then shove the things out of sight until the next month just to see if I can go a whole month with out going nuts.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Its pretty great to break with the scale. I am much happier.

As of right this minute my scale is in a bin on an upper shelf in my closet.

Whew.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    'K, had an interesting workout today.

Squats were at 90 pounds and I had some form problems. So I will only add a pound or two next time. I'm not at the top of my ability, but I am working on my stance being a bit wider and a bit more turned out, so I would like to be able to really work with that aspect a bit.

OHP -- I broke out my fractionals, baby, Yee-haw! I did 5 sets of 47.5. All 5 sets, all 25 reps. What a relief not to have to unload the itty bitty weights! :laugh: ...Unfortunately, I realized that my form really sucks on these... I have never done them standing or if I have, not so that I would remember them. So I am going to focus on form next time and go back to the empty bar to facilitate that.

Deadlift was at 145 and I felt like I was working at the top of my ability, which was nice to finally find.

All in all it was exhausting but I felt pretty stoked afterwards.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Dani: thanks for the geeky spreadsheet export. Will explore properly later!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Squats were at 90 pounds and I had some form problems. So I will only add a pound or two next time. I'm not at the top of my ability, but I am working on my stance being a bit wider and a bit more turned out, so I would like to be able to really work with that aspect a bit.

OHP -- I broke out my fractionals, baby, Yee-haw! I did 5 sets of 47.5. All 5 sets, all 25 reps. What a relief not to have to unload the itty bitty weights! :laugh: ...Unfortunately, I realized that my form really sucks on these... I have never done them standing or if I have, not so that I would remember them. So I am going to focus on form next time and go back to the empty bar to facilitate that.

Deadlift was at 145 and I felt like I was working at the top of my ability, which was nice to finally find.

145 DL's? RAWWWRRRRR! That's pretty awesome. I'm going to pick up some fractionals today in preparation for OHP's this week.

I really, really need to heed all of your all's advice about the scale. This week has been that TOM, and I keep obsessively checking, which is ridiculous, because I am so bloated. I can totally see definition in my arms and legs, and my back feels much less squishy (although my measurements haven't changed, but again - the bloating), so I need to go hide the scale.

I made it to the gym at the same time on MWF this week, and by Friday the regulars had decided I was serious enough to start talking to me. They are all universally stunned by a girl using the squat rack, which is pretty funny. But they are also all really encouraging and positive about women being strong. Now I just need to get them to STOP talking to me while I am in the middle of set, LOL.

Finished with A yesterday:
    75 squats - still not at my maximum, but definitely getting tougher. I am using Rippetoe's thumb-over grip, and find that at the end of each set my shoulders feel tight when I let go of the bar - is this normal? I'm also finding it really fascinating that in my right knee, where I have had issues with osteo-arthritis, I have no pain. At all. Even with doing HIIT sprints after lifting. That's a pretty powerful endorsement for lifting!

60 Bench - Getting tougher, but not at my limit yet. I am going pretty slow on each rep, but I have to really concentrate on pushing equally - my right side is so much stronger than my left (the carry-me toddler effect). And I am used to pushing more with that side, and being delicate with my left from years and years as a potter.

80 Pendlays - I tried these without boosting the bar, and it was a little awkward, but worked better in terms of touching the ground each time. I'm pretty short, so I can keep my back nice and flat - but it will be nice to graduate to bigger plates so I don't have to pull as far. :) 80 was tough - I was grunting by the end!

I was going to try and lift again tomorrow, but my body is telling me it needs some rest. So I'm going to try and get some light cardio in today and take tomorrow totally off. I finally bit the bullet and upped my calories to my TDEE-20% and have stopped logging exercise calories (for some reason I am really afraid of this), so we'll see how that goes. Am I correct in thinking that if my BMR is around 1500 that if I burn more than 300 calories in a day I should eat back the excess? I haven't had the energy to do much intense cardio work, so I don't know how often that will happen. . .

Have a great weekend, everyone!
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    @ges I just got my fractionals too! Hubby opened the package and said "what the heck are these?" Hee hee!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

145 DL's? RAWWWRRRRR! That's pretty awesome. I'm going to pick up some fractionals today in preparation for OHP's this week.

I really, really need to heed all of your all's advice about the scale. This week has been that TOM, and I keep obsessively checking, which is ridiculous, because I am so bloated. I can totally see definition in my arms and legs, and my back feels much less squishy (although my measurements haven't changed, but again - the bloating), so I need to go hide the scale.

I made it to the gym at the same time on MWF this week, and by Friday the regulars had decided I was serious enough to start talking to me. They are all universally stunned by a girl using the squat rack, which is pretty funny. But they are also all really encouraging and positive about women being strong. Now I just need to get them to STOP talking to me while I am in the middle of set, LOL.

Finished with A yesterday:
    75 squats - still not at my maximum, but definitely getting tougher. I am using Rippetoe's thumb-over grip, and find that at the end of each set my shoulders feel tight when I let go of the bar - is this normal? I'm also finding it really fascinating that in my right knee, where I have had issues with osteo-arthritis, I have no pain. At all. Even with doing HIIT sprints after lifting. That's a pretty powerful endorsement for lifting!

60 Bench - Getting tougher, but not at my limit yet. I am going pretty slow on each rep, but I have to really concentrate on pushing equally - my right side is so much stronger than my left (the carry-me toddler effect). And I am used to pushing more with that side, and being delicate with my left from years and years as a potter.

80 Pendlays - I tried these without boosting the bar, and it was a little awkward, but worked better in terms of touching the ground each time. I'm pretty short, so I can keep my back nice and flat - but it will be nice to graduate to bigger plates so I don't have to pull as far. :) 80 was tough - I was grunting by the end!

I was going to try and lift again tomorrow, but my body is telling me it needs some rest. So I'm going to try and get some light cardio in today and take tomorrow totally off. I finally bit the bullet and upped my calories to my TDEE-20% and have stopped logging exercise calories (for some reason I am really afraid of this), so we'll see how that goes. Am I correct in thinking that if my BMR is around 1500 that if I burn more than 300 calories in a day I should eat back the excess? I haven't had the energy to do much intense cardio work, so I don't know how often that will happen. . .

Have a great weekend, everyone!

My shoulders kill me after squats (just switched up my grip and have only squatted twice with Rippetoe's grip). My shoulder's are just tight in general, plus I have arthritis in my left where my collar bone hits my shoulder. When I first started squatting I couldn't come close to a narrow grip and so I started very wide. It still hurt my shoulders. It eventually stopped when my shoulders became more flexible. Then I fixed my grip, and now the pain is back. I'm thinking it will ease up again as I get used to it.

As for the calories, it's ok if you net below your BMR because on rest days you won't be, and it will even out. Just make sure your TDEE is accurate and eat 20% below that. Besides if you aren't tracking exercise you won't realize if you burn more than 300 :laugh:
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    glwerth, I don't know if you saw my post on here a couple of days ago, but it was basically a link to my blog...I had some pics on there from last June and from this March. I weigh the same, but the difference in my body composition is amazing. When you get out of the mindset that it's not about the number...but how your body is changing, it's totally liberating!! (I know it's hard to ditch the scale though...which is why I literally HIDE mine until the first of the month.)

Oh, and TAKE PICTURES! I hated pic day when I first started doing it (last November) but it's pretty cool going back and seeing the small changes that happen month-by-month.

I'll have to have the hubs take some pictures.

I did see your post and there is such a difference for you. I guess living in my body, I don't notice the changes.
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Today (20% deload day, slooowly inching my way into olympic lifting of some sort):
    Hatha : 0:22:00
    Jumping Jacks: 30 jumping jacks
    Shoulder Dislocation: 12 reps
    Body Weight Squat: 9 reps
    Overhead Barbell Squat: 1 lb x 9 reps (and we're using the word "barbell" very loosely since I actually used a PVC pipe :laugh:)
    Barbell Squat: 45 lb x 9x2
    Barbell Bench Press: 45 lb x 9x2
    Barbell Deadlift:
    65 lb x 5x1
    Standing Barbell Shoulder Press 25 lb x 9x2
    Power Clean: 45 lb x 9
    Barbell Curl: 20 lb x 9x2
    Standing Barbell Calf Raise: 45 lb x 9x2
    Standing Overhead Barbell Triceps Extension: 20 lb x 9x2

I feel accomplished.

Happy Easter weekend!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I think I'm jumping on ditching the scale bandwagon for April. It hasn't been much use to me lately and I think I am going to eat above TDEE for the month of April to build some muscle and attempt to keep progressing with SL and my other workouts. I am feeling drained today, and I know it is a factor of eating around TDEE - 10-15%, being sick, too little sleep, and doing a little too much with this week on top of the other things. So the plan will be to weigh myself Monday, get my BF% according to the scale, take my measurements and run the BF% calculations from the Army standards, take a few pictures and then put it all away for the month. Then May first, do it again and start cutting.

I figure April will be good timing because I will most likely be eating more the first 2 weeks anyway. My husband has been on an away assignment for work and he is taking 2 weeks of vacation time starting on Monday. So while he has been gone, I've been changing my eating habits, but I know he will still want to go out to eat a few times. His assignment doesn't get done until the end of June...hence the 2 month cut.

Despite being tired I did workout A again this morning:

Squat 125
    Bench 95
    Row 100

I tried to incorporate more "hip thrust" in the squat and did feel good with the suicide grip as suggested so thanks to those who commented on the form video.

I know it isn't SL related, but yesterday I managed a new PR for my 2 mile run. Got it done in 15:39. Lifting has really helped with my speed. 10 months ago I was running 2 miles in 20+ minutes so I am uber happy with that progress. Hard work is paying off.

Tomorrow is a much needed rest day.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Today (20% deload day, slooowly inching my way into olympic lifting of some sort):
    Hatha : 0:22:00
    Jumping Jacks: 30 jumping jacks
    Shoulder Dislocation: 12 reps
    Body Weight Squat: 9 reps
    Overhead Barbell Squat: 1 lb x 9 reps (and we're using the word "barbell" very loosely since I actually used a PVC pipe :laugh:)
    Barbell Squat: 45 lb x 9x2
    Barbell Bench Press: 45 lb x 9x2
    Barbell Deadlift:
    65 lb x 5x1
    Standing Barbell Shoulder Press 25 lb x 9x2
    Power Clean: 45 lb x 9
    Barbell Curl: 20 lb x 9x2
    Standing Barbell Calf Raise: 45 lb x 9x2
    Standing Overhead Barbell Triceps Extension: 20 lb x 9x2

I feel accomplished.

Happy Easter weekend!

Great numbers for a deload!!! That is a lot of work! You should feel accomplished!

I am wondering what exercise "Shoulder Dislocation" is....sounds like it could be painful :wink:
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    @js great new PR!

No lifting for me this weekend, sprint triathlon at last instead. No transition times because I cobbled it together in the leisure centre instead of an organised event.

400m swim 12:50
    20k bike 55:49
    5k run 36:12

SL has really helped the swimming (upper body) and biking (squats) strength. Next up, more SL and bring my run times down. But now, I can properly focus on strength for a bit and ditch the 3x week, 40-60min cardio for a few months!
  • DaniH826
    Options
    I am wondering what exercise "Shoulder Dislocation" is....sounds like it could be painful :wink:

That's what I thought too but as it turns out, they're not:

http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/

Great way to loosen up the shoulder joint and improve your range of motion (looking at you, audii).

I use a pvc pipe, but a broom handle works too.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I just got back from my workout. Morning is not my body's preferred timing but if I work out in the morning on the weekend, my body gets 2 1/2 days rest afterwards so it's worthwhile in my book.

Squats I worked at 65 and 75 working on stance. Between warm ups & 'workings' I did 8 sets. My adductors were still sore from Friday, also. I know that people here at MFP say it's OK to work through DOMS but it's not OK for me personally, perhaps because of my FM or my wussiness, whatever, it doesn't work for me ::shrugs:: So it was good to work at a light weight for a number of reasons. It turned out that I over-thunk things for several sets, then I got mad at myself for overthinking and just banged out two good sets at 75 and 85 to finish up.

Bench Helllloooo fractionals. I'd been at 65 for the last three times. Today after I warmed up I did 67 66 66 66 67 yee haw I felt all warm and fuzzy with myself for finally adding some weight on this one.

Rows I thought that a warmup wasn't needed for these and so I hadn't been doing one. I'd been struggling with adding weight so today I started with some warmups and Boom! My sets were 65 75 85 80 80 80 80. I thought I was trying to add 5 pounds and get to 85, but when I got home I see that I had been stuck at 75 so I did move up 5 pounds when I thought I hadn't :laugh:

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it!
  • Soosannah
    Options
    WTG ladies on the awesome numbers

I am still pursuing my 3x8's at the moment and still on a bit of a deload while I adjust to the extra reps per set. I know 5x5=25 reps and 3x8=24 reps, but there is something about adding those 3 extra reps that really gets me. My brain thinks when I hit 5 that I am done with that set. Also trying some accessory exercises. Still piddling around trying to find accessory exercises that I like and will do consistently.

*10 mins exercise bike warmup
    *Squats= BW 1x8 and ATG, 45 1x8, 50 1x8 and 60lbs 3x8. Haven't added weight to this still working on form at that weight.
    *OHP= 45lbs 3x8, deloaded on these.
    *Deadlifts= 145lbs 1x5, couldnt squeeze out 8 reps, of course I didnt deload on these because I wanted to see if I could do 145lbs. Will deload next time and add reps
    *Lunges= 3x8 each leg while holding 10lbs plates in each hand
    *Seated calf raises= 25lbs plates 3x8 each leg
    *Ab rollers= just used the oly bar with my deadlift weight on it. Only could get 3 of these out and my abs feel that little bit already. Hope I can breathe tomorrow, because that is kind of an important thing. I only did these because they looked interesting and I wanted to try them.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    165x4 squats tonight. Was meant to do 5 but..... it just didn't happen.

Squatting my body weight!!! Awesome job!
  • fisherlassie
    Options
    Thanks for all the big ups gals. I have been lifting heavy on and off since I was 19. My PR for bench press back then was 60 kg (132 lbs) and I was doing full sets of 10 pull ups at a go...damn to be young again! I started stronglifts July-ish last year, I think and did a full 12 week programme with madcow to support my upper body stalls. I then progressed to Wendler's 5/3/1 at the suggestion of the fitness manager (who I had done some personal training sessions with previously so he knew what I was up to) and passed the stalls and increased all my lifts. Did that for almost 3 cycles. Have been doing 3 full body strength workout sessions per week since about January or February along with hill sprints and triathlon training. Those are all 5 lifts done for 3 sets of 5. I do pull ups, push ups (the horrible clapping explosive ones), heavy one arm rows and bodyweight tricep dips as acessory lifts.

I was feeling just this Wednesday that I might just have topped out on my lifts for the moment. Not sure yet. Got a free pair of lifting gloves (no matter how many times I told the geezer I use chalk he still insisted I have them?!) from the new gym owner/manager. Was doing my barbell rows and he was watching, smiled and said that he had a pressie for me. Um...wha? I did not hear what he said at first, so politely went over and asked him to repeat what he said...oh present...um...thanks! I was feeling puzzled, flattered and wary all at the same time.

Feeling bushed this week. Cannot wait for the weekend! Happy lifting all! : )

Inspirational!
  • fisherlassie
    Options
    Friday I couldn't get the 90 bench so I just went down to 87. Squats 130 again and 87 for row. But today I did 10, count 'um 10 Full pushups!!! From my toes not from knees! Just a year ago I wouldn't have been able to do one and not even that many from my knees!! Maybe some day I will be able to do a pull up. I think I will have to try.

Awesome job Cleo on the 70lb OHP!! I'm hoping I will be able to do that 70 again tomorrow!

And great job to everyone else who was lifting this week!

I wonder how the Chocolate Day weekend celebrations will effect my workout tomorrow?

Totally envious of all of your fractionals!
  • DaniH826
    Options
    But today I did 10, count 'um 10 Full pushups!!! From my toes not from knees! Just a year ago I wouldn't have been able to do one and not even that many from my knees!! Maybe some day I will be able to do a pull up. I think I will have to try.

Niiiiice!

Being able to just do one regular push-up with good form is a goal of mine right now. As is a pull-up.

You go with your bad self!!
  • Soosannah
    Options
    But today I did 10, count 'um 10 Full pushups!!! From my toes not from knees! Just a year ago I wouldn't have been able to do one and not even that many from my knees!! Maybe some day I will be able to do a pull up. I think I will have to try.

Niiiiice!

Being able to just do one regular push-up with good form is a goal of mine right now. As is a pull-up.

You go with your bad self!!
    [/quote

Oh I want to be able to do one too. This next month I am going to try to incorporate them on my cardio days. I can do a gazillion girlie push ups now, but alas no real on your toes push up. We wont even talk about pull ups.

Doing 10 real push ups, color me impressed. You go Lassie!