Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• sdionnemoore
    sdionnemoore Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Completed W4D1 today and had to stop on the first 5 minute with 40 seconds to go! I'd just gone up a slight rise and met with a neighbor whose children like to laugh, so I was aggravated. Anyhow, I stopped for a few paces then finished the last 20 or so seconds. Then, on the next 5 minuter, someone pulls up to ask for directions! Overall, not a great day, plus I wasn't feeling like running much after playing ultimate frisbee Saturday. Glad I pushed though.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Week 7 Day 1 done. We're under a flash flood warning here, it was pouring when I got out of work this morning. When I went out to do this it was slightly drizzling. I laughed because I didn't go back inside.

Did the 25 minutes. My Fitbit says 2 miles, but then on the way back with walking, gives me less of a read, more like a mile. I know the route is longer than a mile, I head that way going to work. I'm taking it as 2 miles. I was kind of hoping the dark clouds would open up as I was closer to home on the way back. The humidity sucks.

What do you use to track distance?

RunDouble app on my phone uses gps to track distance.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Week 7 Day 1 done. We're under a flash flood warning here, it was pouring when I got out of work this morning. When I went out to do this it was slightly drizzling. I laughed because I didn't go back inside.

Did the 25 minutes. My Fitbit says 2 miles, but then on the way back with walking, gives me less of a read, more like a mile. I know the route is longer than a mile, I head that way going to work. I'm taking it as 2 miles. I was kind of hoping the dark clouds would open up as I was closer to home on the way back. The humidity sucks.

RunDouble app on my phone uses gps to track distance.

I was using my Fitbit last year and realized my running stride wasn't set correctly because at the end of the program I ran a 5K and my Fitbit told me I had run 4 miles. You can apparently adjust the stride on the dashboard to make it more accurate. This year I'm repeating the program and am using the C25K app which also uses GPS.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I finished W5D3 yesterday!

I remember a few weeks ago, when I peeked ahead to see what everybody was talking about, I thought, 20 minutes! Holy crap, will i be able to run 20 minutes straight by then? Well, I did. I think somewhere between running 5 minutes and 8 minutes nonstop, I conquered my breathing, and from there, it's just mind over matter.

I am slow, though. Other runners at the track lap me repeatedly. It is encouraging to see others here who are slow like me, and who still put on their shoes and go out there and do it. It does help me to know that I'm not the only one who finds this challenging.

So question: What strategies did you other beginners use to increase your speed? At this juncture, I can't even imagine finishing a 5K in 30 minutes.

Congrats on finishing W5D3! It's such a huge milestone in this program.

I did the program last year and just focused on finishing each workout. This year I'm in better shape (I've lost weight & have been strength training) and I'm just getting faster naturally. I'm still slow, but I see major progress from where I was last year. From what I've read on the forum my advice would be to finish the last few weeks of the program first, and then work on trying to get faster.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome. Keep up the great work!

I finally got through W4 D3 after putting it off for four days. (I know W5 D3 is right around the corner, so I'm getting nervous). It was a pretty rough run today. I tried to use some proper running techniques, and it almost made me cry when it was time to walk. Interesting run, but I got through it. So I'm proud of myself.
  • babyrover
    babyrover Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Newbie to the program here...completed W1D2 yesterday. Using the C25K on my alternate days from Cycling. Hoping this will help me learn to control my breathing as I prepare for my first Century ride on Sept 7th. The post here are vry inspirational and helps a girl keep lacing up those running shoes!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

I use Map My Run in conjunction with the free zen labs c210k app.
  • tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Finished W5D3 this morning. I was a little worried about the 20 minute run but it wasn't bad at all. I have signed up for a 5K on August 3rd and I don't fear it nearly as much as I did 24 hours ago.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My headcold is cleared up and I had a great run. Week 8, Day 1 and my first 28-minute run is out of the way :) It was my slowest pace yet but guess what? My little buddy is still plugging along beside me. He couldn't believe he ran for a full 28 minutes, either :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    The weather was absolutely perfect this morning for a run- 50 degrees!

I completed W8D1- 2.75 mi in just under 32 minutes.

I ran at the local National Park and went a route that was a little more hilly than I have been running. It was just me and the raccoons, squirrels, deer, and birds- loved it!
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Have been on holiday for a few days. Unfortunately there were high hedges and narrow lanes so no road running but managed to get a treadmill run in - wow, what a different experience.

It was difficult for me to get my rhythm and my headphones died so I was totally bored throughout and it didn't really feel that challenging. I have no experience with treadmills so put it on 1 incline and ran at 6.2. I had no idea how this would work out and didn't want to mess it up by choosing the wrong setting but guess I should have made it harder!

Oh well, home now and back on the road tomorrow.
  • mtcastillo86
    mtcastillo86 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

I use the Endomondo app, which is linked to MFP and automatically records my workouts for me.

Two posters say they use the C25K app to record distance? Is that the free app? I didn't know it did that. Guess I should look it over more!
    The weather was absolutely perfect this morning for a run- 50 degrees!

I completed W8D1- 2.75 mi in just under 32 minutes.

I ran at the local National Park and went a route that was a little more hilly than I have been running. It was just me and the raccoons, squirrels, deer, and birds- loved it!

Oh man! It doesn't get any better than that!
  • mtcastillo86
    mtcastillo86 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Two posters say they use the C25K app to record distance? Is that the free app? I didn't know it did that. Guess I should look it over more!

The RunDouble app is free for the first 2 weeks, the upgrade was around $2 I think. I love it- uses gps to track distance, speed, rate, calories burned and can be used with music players on your phone.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

The RunDouble app is free for the first 2 weeks, the upgrade was around $2 I think. I love it- uses gps to track distance, speed, rate, calories burned and can be used with music players on your phone.

I use the Active C25K app to track distance. I did pay $1.99 for it.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Got through W5 D1 today!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Completed W6D3 today. I felt so inspired that I installed the C210K app on my phone! Maybe, just maybe I can run a 10k in February next year!

You'll be able to run one way before that.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Did W3D1 today. I'm not using the apps and looked at the workout this morning before I went out...then did three repetitions instead of two. I guess my brain doesn't function quite right at 5:30 am! Still finished it and going forward with this week should be pretty easy in comparison!

I can't count past two when I'm doing track intervals. Great job on the run!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I finished W5D3 yesterday!

I remember a few weeks ago, when I peeked ahead to see what everybody was talking about, I thought, 20 minutes! Holy crap, will i be able to run 20 minutes straight by then? Well, I did. I think somewhere between running 5 minutes and 8 minutes nonstop, I conquered my breathing, and from there, it's just mind over matter.

I am slow, though. Other runners at the track lap me repeatedly. It is encouraging to see others here who are slow like me, and who still put on their shoes and go out there and do it. It does help me to know that I'm not the only one who finds this challenging.

So question: What strategies did you other beginners use to increase your speed? At this juncture, I can't even imagine finishing a 5K in 30 minutes.

A lot of people can't finish a 5k in 30 minutes by the end of the program. You will, however, be able to run an entire 5k. I graduated in February and probably could have done a 30 minute 5k by June.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options

I use the Active C25K app to track distance. I did pay $1.99 for it.

I downloaded Runkeeper last night but it was pouring out all day and I was too lazy to go to the gym. Plus I'm finding it hard on the treadmill now anyway. I'm hoping to go out and do it tomorrow.
    Thanks for all the answers re the apps.