Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• misskym
    misskym Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I completed W4D2 this morning. It was a lot easier than W4D1, but I also took a different route which was substantially flatter. I had to mentally slow down, which was hard, but my average MPH decreased to 3.9 from 4.2. I didn't struggle during my last running segment the way I did with W4D1. My one mile marker was only 20 seconds longer, but it seemed to make a difference. I also didn't have any spurts to wear me down on this route.

I noticed that my calves felt a great deal tighter after the first 5 minute run, heading into the second 3 minute run. I'm not sure what that was about. Ever since changing my running form, I have been paying more attention to my feet and how I land. I still don't know if I'm landing right - more on the ball of my foot than my midfoot. Maybe that has something to do with the tightness? I didn't have it last time.
  • drink_me
    drink_me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    To the poster who said they wanted to work out on non run days, I do the 30 day shred on my non run days. I completed the 30 days before I started c25k and now I just pick a level and do it. It's tough but I feel like its making me so much stronger. But maybe I need to back off of it a little because my knees hurt sometimes now.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Had a good time today. Week 2, Day 3.
    2nd day with the minimus (New Balance) shoes. I think I'm going to like them.

Wore my HRM today and that was instructive. Seems I'm peaking in the mid 180's during the jogging portions of the routine. That's well above my calculated maximum HR. So, I'm working out harder than I thought. It's not just the legs.

The next day adds 3 minute jogs vs the current 1.5 minute jogs. Clearly, I'm going to have to slow down to manage those.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Week 1, Day 2 accomplished :)

Question - how do you guys calculate your mph? I know my pace is slow, but that's the extent of it.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Question - how do you guys calculate your mph? I know my pace is slow, but that's the extent of it.

60 / pace in minutes.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options

60 / pace in minutes.

Thanks. I do understand the math, but I don't have all of the information I'd need to calculate it. I didn't know if this is something that an app or a HRM could figure out independently.
  • Veslus
    Veslus Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Did Week 6 Day 2 again today. Kept the same pace as before. Got through it just fine. Only difference was I wasn't sick this time. :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Wore my HRM today and that was instructive. Seems I'm peaking in the mid 180's during the jogging portions of the routine. That's well above my calculated maximum HR. So, I'm working out harder than I thought. It's not just the legs.

That's true for just about everybody until you get past week 5. That's why I hit my "broken record" postings when people get in to week 3. You CAN run slower. I know it seems like everybody is barely moving now, but finding your pace is the difference between quitting, getting through C25k or actually enjoying it.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I'm assuming that you don't have an app that tracks this for you.

The best way is to find a 1/4 mile (400m) track and jog four laps. Or do two laps and multiply by two, if that's are far as you can go right now.

The next best way is to find a trail that has mile markers and run a mile.

The third best way is to drive a mile in your car and then run it.

(You know you're a runner when you can identify exactly a mile from your house in every direction.)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I completed W4D2 this morning. It was a lot easier than W4D1, but I also took a different route which was substantially flatter. I had to mentally slow down, which was hard, but my average MPH decreased to 3.9 from 4.2. I didn't struggle during my last running segment the way I did with W4D1. My one mile marker was only 20 seconds longer, but it seemed to make a difference. I also didn't have any spurts to wear me down on this route.

I noticed that my calves felt a great deal tighter after the first 5 minute run, heading into the second 3 minute run. I'm not sure what that was about. Ever since changing my running form, I have been paying more attention to my feet and how I land. I still don't know if I'm landing right - more on the ball of my foot than my midfoot. Maybe that has something to do with the tightness? I didn't have it last time.

Sometimes that just happens. It could be the way you're landing, though that doesn't sound "wrong"...new muscles. Be sure to stretch and stop if it becomes more than "tightness" You might want to touch base with a runner's group in your area and see if they can offer advice on your form - maybe there's a clinic or something.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Well I managed w9 d2, was tired before I started... took me an hour and half to pluck up the courage to do it as I felt so tired after work... but I thought am I being a bit lazy...just sat there wondering if I was going to run tonight! Well it was tough but I eventually did it!!! I felt a bit like a rag doll but at least I can rest today :love: I'd really like to get to a stage where I have the energy to do a flexibility workout in between run days but that moment hasn't come yet (work, gardening & housework seems to be it).

Do others feel exhausted and achy in between runs?! Or are you working out on non run days :tongue:

I work out. You might want to take some extra rest days. What are you going to do after you graduate?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    My technology hates me. My phone had some sort of failure, although amazingly it managed to save my stats today, unlike Tues. when it lost them. I went through the whole W2D2 workout on my iPod Touch, but when I got home and looked at it, it said I didn't do it. Grrrr! I'll just let it play again since it doesn't have GPS so it counts as done. My run itself was nice. Saw lovely monarch butterflies. Unlike my usual, when the early jogs are hardest and the end ones seem easier, if started feeling easy today and kicked my butt toward the end. I was a little over 5 mph at my highest, which seems to be my norm, and 3.74 for my average speed.

It makes me crazy when my phone does that.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Did Week 6 Day 2 again today. Kept the same pace as before. Got through it just fine. Only difference was I wasn't sick this time. :)

Yay you! Sounds like you're right on track!
  • FestivalDiva
    FestivalDiva Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Vardaemls... Rest days haha! Yes, seriously I agree but the APP says to get the best from it run every other day and I would hate to 'under do it'! LOL I've done a great deal of gardening lately so I think the combination is wearing me out. Need to build more stamina.

After I graduate I had hoped to move on to the 10k App but before that, build a decent stamina and pace at the 5k mark. It's early days in my fitness routine (after major surgery 1&1/5 years ago I've just finished seeing a Physio who is still v cautious on exercising that isn't gentle-Ive had problems after surgery with lower back and abdomen) she says I shouldn't do weights yet just Pilates (she also wasn't that happy about me running but...). I'm very tempted by the 30 day shred or the 28 day boot camp but maybe that's a little over zealous for the time being!! :laugh:

What did you do after you graduated from 5k?
    Ps I love your new profile pic, Peachy! :drinker:
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my birthday and usually I use that as an excuse to skip a workout, but instead of did a kick *kitten* run for Week 8, Day 1. I not only did the 28 minutes, but I increased my pace to 5.2. I was pretty psyched. I can't believe just one more week to go. I plan to switch to time for a few weeks before moving on to the 10k app. My goal is to get to a 6.0 pace.

I feel everyone on the working out on non-run days. It is a challenge. I am taking swimming lessons twice a wee and I ride my bike Sunday afternoons with my husband, so that is 6 days of activity and my body is just done. I had planned to do a Muay Thai class at my gym at least once a week, but honestly there is just nothing left right now.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I officially graduate tomorrow!!! Last run tomorrow morning, then my 5K on saturday! Can't wait! My goal is 33 minutes!

Congrats, can't wait to hear your results
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Every other day is a maximum, not a minimum. :)

I ran four days a week for thirty minutes before starting a training plan that I developed using the Runner's World SmartCoach feature. This was because I "didn't have time" to do 50 minute runs because I have two toddlers. Just about every plan will get you to increase your base miles first, so I ended up doing just about what I would have done following a 10k plan. And I'm doing a 10k on June 1st anyway...

All that being said, the more I learn about running, the more I encourage C25k grads to start on a 10k program.

And, whatever you do, join us over here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/543-bridge-to-10k
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Yesterday was my birthday and usually I use that as an excuse to skip a workout, but instead of did a kick *kitten* run for Week 8, Day 1.

What a great birthday! I'm doing a virtual 10k for Mother's Day. :)
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Week 1, Day 2 done.

No lower leg tingling tonight and it was all good!

:)
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    5 miles is very impressive! How long ago did you finish the c25k program?

Thank you! I'm happy to share, I finished the program on February 3rd. And I have to say, I really struggled through EVERY week of it, so I'm a big fan of how effective this program is:) !