Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I did not check in yesterday because I failed to complete my run. I don't know what is up with me, but I feel like I am running up hill. Yesterday's humidity was too much and I stopped after 17 minutes. My lungs feel fine, but my legs feel like mush, like they have weights on them. Today I finished W7D1 and the last 3 minutes of the run, my mantra was, I (breathe) WILL (breathe) NOT (breathe) STOP!" breathe and repeat to the beat of my footsteps. It got me through, but I have felt better during week 6. I suppose it's just one of those plateau's we all hit. I will keep pushing!

So here are today's stats: I completed C25K Week 7 Day 1 (2.19 miles), in 25:00, pace 11:26 min/mile, with @RunDouble 2.19 miles in 25:00, speed 5.25 mph Total distance including wu/cd =2.77 miles at 12:38 min/mile

Edit: After posting this, I reviewed my stats compared to my other runs, and this is the longest and fastest run I have done, so I should be happy and proud and not feel defeated! ;-D
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying this program so much, I brought my work out clothes to work and did my workout on my lunch break! I found a nice wooded trail behind our building at work and even came upon a deer, about 2 feet away!

Today was week 2, day 1. Of course, on this trail that I am not entirely familiar with, my first run was up a hill! Oh well. Now I know for next time.

Great job on your run today!!

Can you run in the opposite direction or is your job near the beginning of the trail? Not that running uphill is bad, just not always mentally fun. Deer are very pretty but be carefull during the rutting season, the males can be on hormonal overload.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    Options
    I did not check in yesterday because I failed to complete my run. I don't know what is up with me, but I feel like I am running up hill. Yesterday's humidity was too much and I stopped after 17 minutes. My lungs feel fine, but my legs feel like mush, like they have weights on them. Today I finished W7D1 and the last 3 minutes of the run, my mantra was, I (breathe) WILL (breathe) NOT (breathe) STOP!" breathe and repeat to the beat of my footsteps. It got me through, but I have felt better during week 6. I suppose it's just one of those plateau's we all hit. I will keep pushing!

So here are today's stats: I completed C25K Week 7 Day 1 (2.19 miles), in 25:00, pace 11:26 min/mile, with @RunDouble 2.19 miles in 25:00, speed 5.25 mph Total distance including wu/cd =2.77 miles at 12:38 min/mile

Edit: After posting this, I reviewed my stats compared to my other runs, and this is the longest and fastest run I have done, so I should be happy and proud and not feel defeated! ;-D
    [/quote

Great job!! No wonder your legs were tired!! I'm on to Wk6D3 tonight.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Did Week 5, Day 3 this morning, and finished all 20 minutes without stopping. This was a big victory for me, physically and psychologically- when I looked at that *20* waiting for me a few weeks ago, I could not comprehend it as an achievable goal. Even finishing Week 5, Days 1 & 2, it still seemed crazy.

I had a cold this weekend, and still have a nagging cough, but I really wanted to get out there today. I told myself to just try for 10 minutes, but after the first two I realized I could totally do this, and I did!

I also noticed that my backfat no longer feels like a heavy backpack bouncing on my shoulders, haha.

Brilliant! Well done. It's an amazing feeling to finish that first 20 minute run. Next time you're tiring or struggling think back to that feeling, it'll pull you through :smile:
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Ah did W2D1 last night. Still going strong :P
    I think my mind is giving up before my body does lol. I'll find myself stop running, then realize how little time is left and I'll be like "wtf? I can do that!"

Your brain will always be the first part to try and give up and say you can't do it. Don't listen, you CAN do it!
  • chantels1
    Options
    Wk6D2 done!! 2.21 miles at a interval average of 13:26 and an overall average of 14:54 Yay me!
    Great job sticking with it!!!
  • chantels1
    Options
    Everyone is doing so well. I have friends who gave up after week 3 so it's great to see so many people here kicking *kitten*.

Yesterday I did w7d1 and did 27m30s instead of 25 mins and today I thought I may as well go for it (skipping week7 and 8) - ignored time, went slowly and went for the full 5k with no walking/stopping. Did it in 30mins 50secs. Hopefully over time I'll bring that down to a 10 min mile. It's amazing how last month I found 60 secs difficult and now I can do a 5k.

Wow!! No way I could run that long 2 days in a row, but not only did you run 2 days in a row, you topped it! Great job!
  • chantels1
    Options
    Saturday, I finally completely W5D3 after trying on and off for 6 weeks.

I had been stalled on this run since the end of June, making a couple honest attempts then taking a break from the "official" program due to the weather, a vacation, crazy schedule, and the snakes in my brain. Last week I started running with a couple ladies who happened to be starting Week 5 and I am SO GLAD I did. I've been doing the program solo up to this point, and being with a group really helped get me out of my own head so that I could really just enjoy the experience.

Our path took us through a neighborhood and down part of a paved trail (the one where I've been running solo) and back through the neighborhood. We had the perfect slow pace going and it felt like we maintained that throughout. Not once did I feel like I needed to stop and was actually able to talk the whole time. It was just NICE. We finished the last minute doing down a steep hill, and I took great pleasure in sprinting the last 30 second. In hindsight it was a little obnoxious b/c I'm always the slowest...but I was just so excited to have finally done it!

We are already talking about finding post-graduation runs to do, so I'm really excited about having some buddies to run with who are on my same level.

If you are finding yourself stuck, remember the adage "If you keep doing things the same way, you're going to get the same results". look at all the different variables (when, where, who with, etc.) and trying mixing things up to get past your slump.

Congrats on keeping with the program (even with a break) and finding a way past your obstacle!!! Great job!!!
  • chantels1
    Options
    I've been running, walking, or riding the bike almost every day.

I went to a Zumba class on Tuesday and came to a realization. It takes a lot more effort to get my heart rate up than it used to. My heart rate never got above 100 during the Zumba class and I thought I was really moving!

When I ran almost 6 miles on Saturday and rode the bike 27 miles on Sunday, I realized that I'm not struggling to breathe like I used to. My legs give out long before my lungs. After the third time up a huge hill on the bike, my heart rate was around 120. (A year ago, I couldn't ride the bike up that hill, had to stop mid way to rest or push the bike. Yesterday, I rode up it 4 times!)

Anyway, on Saturday, I completed 5 to 10k week 4 day 3. It was my first day to run with music and it really made a difference in my pace! I need to run with music, apparently!

Stats: (distance version)
    2 run intervals of 2.7 mi with 500 yd walk in the middle
    Total distance (w/wu & cd): 6.56 mi
    Overall pace (not inc wu/cd): 10:44
    Fastest interval pace: 10:05

So many great stories all wrapped up in one!!!! Great job exceeding your goals!
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    W6D1 - why did this seem harder than the 20 minute run? Also seriously think it's time it for new shoes or something, it feels like my sock is bunching up under my arch and then as I'm running I try to straighten it out? Then I get shin splints? Maybe I'm imagining my socks being bunched up because when I get home, they never are. Frustrating :(

Just a crap day over all though, glad I at least got the run in and didn't murder anyone on my way home from work haha ;) There's always tomorrow!
  • 230137isntmyweight
    Options
    Wk6D3 completed!!! I ran for 22 minutes today, and it didn't hurt, nor was it boring. It just makes me smile to think about it!!

I did a 1.61 mile run and held a 13:40 pace. I think I slowed down during the last two minutes or so but at the 5, 10, and 15 minute mark I was right around 13:30 so not a lot of slowing. With WU/CD I completed 2.16 miles with a 14:49 pace. I seemed to have a little gas left in the tank so I'm hoping that means that wk7's 25 minute runs will be just as fun to do.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    Options
    W6D1 - why did this seem harder than the 20 minute run? Also seriously think it's time it for new shoes or something, it feels like my sock is bunching up under my arch and then as I'm running I try to straighten it out? Then I get shin splints? Maybe I'm imagining my socks being bunched up because when I get home, they never are. Frustrating :(

Just a crap day over all though, glad I at least got the run in and didn't murder anyone on my way home from work haha ;) There's always tomorrow!

Even a crappy run is better then no run.
    How old are your shoes? Or do you just think that the fit is off? I've heard Asics rub on the arch because of the way they are molded/constructed. So if you have Asics you might just need an insert? Get thee to a running store......
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    W6D1 - why did this seem harder than the 20 minute run?

Lol. I thought the same thing yesterday when I did it. We had a couple hills in there and the warmer weather/humidity were back, so I am blaming my struggles on that. Had to walk a couple times.

We are going to go back to the mostly-flat run tomorrow for W6D2, so hoping for a little better performance for the 2x10's.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Forgot to check in the last few days. They were just repeats of W2D1 that I had been practicing different variations of. I was trying to see if I could handle the next wk, 3 min runs. I can.

I also learned that you really do have to follow the plan and take at least a day off if you don't want to tire yourself out too quick. The only time I didn't run between 8/11 and 8/18 was 8/12. Towards the end of that time period, I was trying to run for a part of the 2-minute walk. Nope. My body wasn't having it. I took Monday and Tuesday off and actually followed the plan and now W2 is a breeze! Instead of doing the cool down completely, I ran 3 straight minutes just to see again if I could be ready for W3. I did it! Can't wait. Anyway, today's stats:

31 minutes - 2.17 miles @ 14:16 min/mile - Fastest @ 11:44 min/mile - Longest @ .14 miles

Pace yourselves! :smile:
  • teamAmelia
    Options
    Ah did W2D1 last night. Still going strong :P
    I think my mind is giving up before my body does lol. I'll find myself stop running, then realize how little time is left and I'll be like "wtf? I can do that!"

Your brain will always be the first part to try and give up and say you can't do it. Don't listen, you CAN do it!

This :smile:
  • teamAmelia
    Options
    I'm enjoying this program so much, I brought my work out clothes to work and did my workout on my lunch break! I found a nice wooded trail behind our building at work and even came upon a deer, about 2 feet away!

Today was week 2, day 1. Of course, on this trail that I am not entirely familiar with, my first run was up a hill! Oh well. Now I know for next time.

Good job! I bet you felt so much better after your work out.
  • teamAmelia
    Options
    I did it!!! Today was my last day of the program and I ran 3 miles!! My first 5k is Sept 14 and I can't wait. I'll continue to do 3 mile runs (maybe longer!) until then.

Awesome! Congratulations. Good luck w your 5k. :smile:

For those just starting out, stick with it. When I started I couldn't even walk a mile comfortable. Now I consistently run at a pace of 12:30/mile. You can do it!!!

Wow. Thank you for that. Can't wait to see what I can do.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I did 5 to 10k w5d1 RunDouble Distance version- 2 runs of 3 miles each with a 500 yd walk in the middle.
    Stats:
    Running Pace: 11:00
    Fastest Interval 10:39

I now have a blister on the ball of my left foot, despite all my efforts to prevent that! UGH!
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I did W6D2 this morning. It's the last of the intervals, on to steady runs starting Friday.

1.74 miles, 23 min, 13:14 min/mile, 4.53 mph

including warm up and cool down
    2.32 miles, 33 min, 14:12 min/mile
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I figured out a different point to start because I started back tracking a little, so I'll adjust my starting point next time.

I gave the doe plenty of room - as soon as she saw me, she ran the opposite direction and disappeared into the woods within seconds. I think we were both pretty surprised to see each other!