Where are my fellow P90xers?

Options

Replies

• BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    Hey gmon, welcome to our group!

I agree with you in that Insanity is alot harder than p90x. I don't have the strength and stamina to keep up with Insanity. P90x is a good program to start off with to get your body prime and ready for that program. I plan on getting into Insanity after a first round at p90x.

When it comes to caloric intake, StarvingDiva provided a good link for a calculator to get you an idea of what your intake should be. I am still not sure about the whole "eat back your calories" idea, but when I did p90x two years ago I stuck to the amount that calculator said I should take and stuck with the 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% protein and had great results. However, I never ate my calories that I burned back. The important thing you need to do is eat enough to get you through the day and through your workouts. If you feel that you are hungry and have that opportunity to eat more, I would do so.

I hope we have given you some helpful information and good luck!
  • BryGuy2
    Options
    How was everyone's weekend? Who's ready for some chest, back and ab ripper x today? I am making this week 2 for me as week 1 was more of a beginning phase because I was so sore! Didnt eat as good as I should have, but didnt over do it. Ready for a new week! Good luck to you all let's keep focus. Your future self will thank you. ;)
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I'm curious your opinions, I'm going to be on vacation during recovery week. While I can see me being able to YogaX in the room, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do Kenpo or Core Synergistics in the room as we are on the 2nd floor and there will be people below me. What do you think my course of action should be? Do the workouts I can and walk or do ab ripper on the ones I can't do or do you think I should extend the weight lifting portion of the workouts one extra week, because I certainly can do chest & back and shoulders and arms in the room, I would just have to go for a walk instead of plyo.

Your thoughts? I want to make sure I'm staying active, but I also don't want to miss out on the benefit of that recovery week.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'm switching it around this week as I'm out Wednesday and Friday by the looks of things, so, Wednesdays workout is today and then tomorrow I'll try and run and fit in some of todays scheuled workout too, i.e. lots of pushups.
  • BryGuy2
    Options
    Well recovery week should really be what is was designed for, giving your body a chance to recovery from the strength training. Yoga and X stretch are very good at doing that. But to replace Core Synergistcs and Kenpo, you can do Cardio X which doesnt have much jump training involved. I dont think that would create too much noise for those below you. If you prefer not to, just stay active, whether it be any other workout or running. That's just my opinion.
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    Thanks Brian, I actually was thinking the same thing, that my body will need a break and I can do what I can of core synergistics and if then jump out of the room for a run/walk.
    The only real day I think I will have to worry about is the days with core synergistics and the kenpo so I think that is Wednesdays and Thursdays workout and I can hold off on saturdays workout until I get home. So I think I will be okay. I'm bringing my scale with me, how much of a spaz am I, I want to keep an eye on my weight so that I can make adjustments to my eating while on vacation if I'm a little lax. I know I know. I'm a spaz.
  • znm100
    znm100 Posts: 148
    Options
    I'm curious your opinions, I'm going to be on vacation during recovery week. While I can see me being able to YogaX in the room, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do Kenpo or Core Synergistics in the room as we are on the 2nd floor and there will be people below me. What do you think my course of action should be? Do the workouts I can and walk or do ab ripper on the ones I can't do or do you think I should extend the weight lifting portion of the workouts one extra week, because I certainly can do chest & back and shoulders and arms in the room, I would just have to go for a walk instead of plyo.

Your thoughts? I want to make sure I'm staying active, but I also don't want to miss out on the benefit of that recovery week.

yeah im not sure... I am going on vacation for what I believe will be week 10... I am thinking I may just try to stay as active as I can, and pick up with week 10 on what is actually week 11, and go from there... basically just taking a week off and picking up where I left off, adding an extra week to the program but not skipping any workouts... i havent decided yet though
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    today done. Upped my weights by 2lb from last week for everything. :-)
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    today done. Upped my weights by 2lb from last week for everything. :-)

WOOHOO Way to bring it Lisa!
  • kalawhon
    kalawhon Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    OH ME TOO!!!
    I've done great with my workouts all week/weekend but my eating hasn't been the best. Had a few splurges hear and there.
    Sunday morning at 2 a.m I woke up with a stomach bug, felt horrible all day so I didn't eat so much. I got plenty of bed rest and ate what I could. Started feeling better around 10 pm last night.
    Today begins a new day, and I feel pretty great. Going to eat healthy today, bringing on the ARX and chest and back tonight!
    Let do it!
    glad it was only a short bug!
  • znm100
    znm100 Posts: 148
    Options
    snapped my red band today doing lawnmowers! Lucky I didn't take out an eye or something! Going to have to send it back, hopefully they won't give me any grief about replacement.
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    snapped my red band today doing lawnmowers! Lucky I didn't take out an eye or something! Going to have to send it back, hopefully they won't give me any grief about replacement.

That stinks! Yeah don't do that, I smacked myself in the face with a band and it hurt like hell.
  • Jacinda_c
    Jacinda_c Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am on day 58/90! Glad to see some p90's out there using fitnesspal!
  • gmon87
    gmon87 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi gmon. I was the same way with doing P90X, after my 90 days my immune system went crazy on me, I took a week off after completing the program, then what went from a week lead to 3 weeks bc I kept getting sick each time I tried working out again. I suppose my body was telling me I needed a longer break and to rest.
    I jumped back into Round 2 of P90 on July 9th and haven't turned back yet.
    I believe you will do great if you stick with P90X. I noticed a magor change in my body after completing the program. I haven't tried insanity yet, but agree that it does seem a lot harder than P90X.
    For your weight and being active I'd stick with the lowest income calorie P90 suggest, 1800. I know that sounds like a lot but you need the right amount of nutrition in order to complete the intence workouts. I weight 132 right now and do my best to eat all the right foods P90 request, I take in at least 1700-1800 a day. You just need to sit down and figure out what foods you like, and can handle each day.
    Good luck on your 90 days!! I believe you'll do GREAT!! Kim

Hi,

1800 does seem too high for me but on the other hand I don't wanna go too low where I'm not getting enough energy.
    I think I'm just gonna eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full without a specific calorie goal for a few days and see what I naturally tend to eat. And will adjust later if necessary.
    The one thing I'm having a hard time with is sticking to the macros. I find it real hard sticking to 50 protein 30 carbs. Especially because I'm mostly vegetarian who eats seafood on occassion. Im probably gonna have to up the seafood and maybe supplement with some protein powder.
    How important is it to stick to the macros?
  • gmon87
    Options
    Hi :)
    I'm not new to MFP (just back with a new username after a break) but am new to the group. I did a week of P90X in the past and then discovered insanity and restarted and did a P90X/Insanity hybrid for a little bit but stopped before seeing results. I did too much at once and it effected my immune system as I kept getting sick all the time so I took a long break from working out.
    I'm going to start P90X again tomorrow so I found this group and decided to join :)

I noticed some people asking out of INsanity and P90X, which is easier..
    Personally I found Insanity to be much harder. At the time I started Insanity I was running 5-7 miles 5 times a week and still found it to be a real challenge. Insanity was too fast paced for me, I was so out of breath all the time so I had to take a lot of breaks. I actually dreaded doing insanity lol :) P90x, although still not easy is more doable for me. It is easier than Insanity in a way because when you are lifting, or doing push ups/ pullups, you have to slow down and focus on your form. You are not jumping around like you are in insanity but it still gives you results. I also like that P90x seems to be more complete, you have Yoga, you have stretching, strength and cardio..

I also have a couple of questions about calorie intake, hopefully someone can answer them..
    I am starting the classic version of P90X tomorrow and also am planning a light 45-60 min. jog/run 3 times a week. I want to add the runs because I think that while P90X is great, it lacks a little in cardio. While I get a good burn with plyo, I don't get it with cardio x or kenpo x, so I think I would benefit from the runs.
    I am 5'1, weigh about 132 and hope to get to 115-120 by the end of the 90 days.
    I'm also on my feet 8 hours a day, 5 days a week as I waitress at a pretty busy restaurant. I'm also in college full time, and that will be starting in about 3 weeks. Not really a physical activity I know, but it means I will probably be getting less sleep and be more exhausted overall.
    I set my activity level as active on mfp and to lose a pound a week I think it recommended 1300 cals a day. But I feel that might be too low. I looked at the P90X meal plan and thought it recommended way too many calories, especially for my height/weight. Though I will be applying the recommended macros for each phase.
    What would some of you more experienced people recommend as far as calories.
    Does 1500-1600 seem reasonable for an active person 5'1, 132lbs trying to shed some fat?

Hi! Welcome to the group! For calories, my very non-professional opinion is to stick with the 1300 calories, and then eat back at least some of your exercise calories. You will find a million debates on the message boards about this, but I would just start from there, and then adjust based on what is working for you.

As far as the running goes, P90X is a pretty solid overall program as far as it being self contained and not really needing (or allowing for) much outside exercise with the risk of overtraining. That being said, if you did want to jog as well as do the program, my opinion would be to do the P90X Doubles program, only replace the Cardio X workouts with your run...

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Hi znm100,

Thanks for your reply. I've seen the numerous debates on the forums about eating back excersize calories and personally I'm not a big fan of it, at least not all of it. A big reason i exercise is to create a caloric deficit and earing back the whole amount kind of seems to defeat the purpose for me. But eating some of it back to be able to fuel the workouts and support a more active lifestyle makes sense. I think Im going to start out with 1500 and adjust from there if i need to. 1500 seems to be what I naturally seem to average when eating clean.
    As for the running, i was thinking about doing exacty what you suggested. Do the doubles but substitute the 3 additional cardio x's with a 30-45 minute run if the weather is nice and i feel up to it.
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    Hi gmon. I was the same way with doing P90X, after my 90 days my immune system went crazy on me, I took a week off after completing the program, then what went from a week lead to 3 weeks bc I kept getting sick each time I tried working out again. I suppose my body was telling me I needed a longer break and to rest.
    I jumped back into Round 2 of P90 on July 9th and haven't turned back yet.
    I believe you will do great if you stick with P90X. I noticed a magor change in my body after completing the program. I haven't tried insanity yet, but agree that it does seem a lot harder than P90X.
    For your weight and being active I'd stick with the lowest income calorie P90 suggest, 1800. I know that sounds like a lot but you need the right amount of nutrition in order to complete the intence workouts. I weight 132 right now and do my best to eat all the right foods P90 request, I take in at least 1700-1800 a day. You just need to sit down and figure out what foods you like, and can handle each day.
    Good luck on your 90 days!! I believe you'll do GREAT!! Kim

Hi,

1800 does seem too high for me but on the other hand I don't wanna go too low where I'm not getting enough energy.
    I think I'm just gonna eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full without a specific calorie goal for a few days and see what I naturally tend to eat. And will adjust later if necessary.
    The one thing I'm having a hard time with is sticking to the macros. I find it real hard sticking to 50 protein 30 carbs. Especially because I'm mostly vegetarian who eats seafood on occassion. Im probably gonna have to up the seafood and maybe supplement with some protein powder.
    How important is it to stick to the macros?

I can't do the 50 protein. I have mine set for 40 protein, 35 carb and 25 fat and I still never hit the protein.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Day 1 check!!!!! Holy push-ups...had nothing much left for that last round of dive bombers. Thought 15lbs would be good to go for weights since I only did 10 lbs before ever, but I was able to do 23-25 reps of everything so I am thinking 18lbs for next week. I got some work to do on ab ripper to get to 25 reps of everything, but there were 6 of 12 where I could do it all in good form.

I was not impressed with my burn rate. Now in fairness I am a cardio person and this is my first foray into weights. When I normally workout for 50 minutes I expect 300-400 calories burned- 500-600 when I run. With these two workouts I did 71 minutes and only burned 402. It's okay, everyday I will do cardio too so my net burn for the whole day was up around 837 which is in my daily goal range. I guess I expected around 1000 a day when adding a challenging program like p90x to my dog walks and runs.

I will say though, I feel good! Invigorated!!!! Bring on that plyo tomorrow!!!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I am not doing the diet plan. I walk my dogs 32 km a week and run 30 km a week in addition to p90x (I believe I will be able to keep this schedule up). That means I need some more carbs and fat to run with. I aim for 45 carbs 30 protien 25 fat. But I am a little lose about it. I want red numbers for protien and fibre mostly, green for carbs and fat.

Do any of you do cardio on top of p90x each day? Do you give yourself extra carbs to get through?
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    I am not doing the diet plan. I walk my dogs 32 km a week and run 30 km a week in addition to p90x (I believe I will be able to keep this schedule up). That means I need some more carbs and fat to run with. I aim for 45 carbs 30 protien 25 fat. But I am a little lose about it. I want red numbers for protien and fibre mostly, green for carbs and fat.

Do any of you do cardio on top of p90x each day? Do you give yourself extra carbs to get through?

The days I do the weights I am also scheduled to do a boxing/kickboxing session with friends. So yes.
  • gmon87
    Options

I'm on day 1 too, and am planning to do some extra cardio too. On the days I do the weights I'm going for a 30-60 min run or if the weather is bad, will do cardio x at home. It's basically the doubles program but substituting 3 run days instead of the cardio x that is scheduled.
    It was my first day today, I don't do the meal plan either but am trying to follow the macros for each phase. I set them to 50-30-20 and got pretty close to that today. I do however think that I might need the extra carbs with the extra running and also waitressing 40+ hours a week.