Introduce Yourself!

Replies

• kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Good luck Lee. It has been suggested that sticking to protein drinks the first 2 weeks makes it easier. Once you get past that you have a pretty good grasp on good vs bad especially on DD.
  • mudmoo
    mudmoo Posts: 3 Member
    Hi,
    I've just started the alternate day diet and I'm now on my Down Day. I'm not finding too hard at all but I did a 4 day juice detox at the start of the week so I think my body was already used to eating less. In fact I don't think I ate enough yesterday for an up day but I just didn't feel all that hungry - great!

A quick question to a more experience judddder - on the calculator my DD calories come out as 386 and UD as 1993. Should I stick with this or eat 500/2000?

Thanks and good luck everyone!
  • DryHeet
    DryHeet Posts: 61 Member
    Hi and welcome!

If you experiment with the calculator inputs, you should see the UD/DD calories change - eg, as you increase activity level input, the calories go up. So, if you're going to exercise you can increase the calories. The other option is the restriction, when you change that input, but leave the activity input constant, you should see the DD calories go up, but the normal calories stay constant.

So, I think if you want to increase your DD calories from 386 to 500, in effect you are changing your restriction from 20% weight loss mode to above a 25% weight loss mode.

I started out with my DDs at 500, but as I have increased my exercise I increased both my DDs and UDs (I usually workout 6 days and up to 2-3 hours, both cardio and strength)

I hope that helps. Good luck with the diet!
    Susan
  • mudmoo
    Thanks Susan,
    I'm not the most energetic of people and I am usually doing school work until 10pm at night so find it hard to fit much in. I do go walking on the weekends and in school hols but its too sporadic to really make much difference to my calories!
    I think I'll try 500 for a few weeks to see how the weight loss goes and then adjust it from there.
  • DryHeet
    Absolutely! I'm sorry if it sounded like I was pushing a strenuous exercise regimen! JUDDD works very well for low, moderate, and high levels of exercise. We simply adjust our UD/DD calories accordingly.

I agree that 500 DD calories for your Induction Period is a good plan, and then you may adjust after that.

Best wishes,
    Susan
  • mudmoo
    Ha! you did't sound at all pushy, in fact someone pushing me to do exercise is what I need more of!
    Yipee, today is an UD!
  • cici52
    cici52 Posts: 34 Member
    Hi. New to the group and just trying to connect. Today is my third DD on JUDDD. I stay at 400. It is not as difficult as staying below 1400/day every day. The first couple UDs I was at about 1900 and feeling bingy though 1943 is the calculator guideline. Yesterday I was not very hungry and finished just above 1400 with no feelings of deprivation, having eaten some chips and hummus (yes, i counted and measured). My off button seems to be working, a new phenomenon. I lost 2 pounds so far this week. I did take an acid inhibitor the first few days to help keep that gnawing feeling suppressed. Do not feel like I need it any more. Hope this is the WOL that puts everything back into perspective. It doesn't feel like dieting. Another first in many years.

Where does everybody go after introduction? DOesn't seem to be much activity in the group?
  • DryHeet
    Welcome!

Glad to hear your DDs are going well. Sounds like you are already getting the SIRT1 gene benefit!

Several of the members here are also on another site http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/
    there's more activity there and some longtime experienced JUDDD'ers who are very helpful.
    You don't have to be lowcarb.

There's also a group here on MFP called Alternate Day Diet (I think that's the name) -
    maybe that group is more active.

Good luck and happy JUDDDing!
    Susan
  • kel7298
    Welcome ladies! I haven't been juddding the last few months as I have been doing P90X. I plan on getting back on track after I am finished (20 more days) so I can lose these last 10 lbs. I haven't lost any weight doing that program, but I have lost fat and replaced it with muscle...but I want to see the scale move!
  • Welcome ladies! I haven't been juddding the last few months as I have been doing P90X. I plan on getting back on track after I am finished (20 more days) so I can lose these last 10 lbs. I haven't lost any weight doing that program, but I have lost fat and replaced it with muscle...but I want to see the scale move!

I've been doing P90X as well. I'm 30 days in. I haven't seen any real drastic weight loss (3 pounds), but I'm hoping if I can gain some muscle and toning, the little I do lose looks like more.
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    My first week completed and I feel great! The first couple of down days were HARD but yesterdays was ok. If it keeps getting easier, woo hoo! Haven't jumped on the scales but I feel more energetic and love, love, love having guilt free food freedom! My ONLY issue is sleeping on DD nights, even with most of my cal used for dinner..... But I still function ok, cause the next day after a DD night is an UD so I am naturallly in better spirits. Anyone else struggle with sleep on DD??
  • cici52
    Welcome!

Glad to hear your DDs are going well. Sounds like you are already getting the SIRT1 gene benefit!

Several of the members here are also on another site http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/
    there's more activity there and some longtime experienced JUDDD'ers who are very helpful.
    You don't have to be lowcarb.

There's also a group here on MFP called Alternate Day Diet (I think that's the name) -
    maybe that group is more active.

Good luck and happy JUDDDing!
    Susan

Could not figure out how to get the quote in my other post. Can not figure out how to delete a post if I goof up.
  • cici52
    Thank you, Susan. Hard to comprehend the SIRT1 could already be activated, but pleased if it is true. Ironically, after saying the 3rd day was going so well, The switch flipped about 7pm and I just HAD to eat again. Finished the day with about 900 kcalas. No problem, though. The scales still went down. Yesterday was an up day and today down. Will proceed with renewed caution.
  • kel7298
    Welcome ladies! I haven't been juddding the last few months as I have been doing P90X. I plan on getting back on track after I am finished (20 more days) so I can lose these last 10 lbs. I haven't lost any weight doing that program, but I have lost fat and replaced it with muscle...but I want to see the scale move!

I've been doing P90X as well. I'm 30 days in. I haven't seen any real drastic weight loss (3 pounds), but I'm hoping if I can gain some muscle and toning, the little I do lose looks like more.

I am sure it will. (your a mad woman doing P90X and Judding) :bigsmile:
  • DryHeet
    Thank you, Susan. Hard to comprehend the SIRT1 could already be activated, but pleased if it is true. Ironically, after saying the 3rd day was going so well, The switch flipped about 7pm and I just HAD to eat again. Finished the day with about 900 kcalas. No problem, though. The scales still went down. Yesterday was an up day and today down. Will proceed with renewed caution.

Great to hear the scale still went down! I've seen posts from JUDDD'ers who say they try to save as many calories as possible to the end of the day (on DDs) because the evenings can be difficult. I usually find a cup of broth or brewed herbal tea helps me in the evening.

Keep up the good work!
  • cici52
    Yesterday DD was perfect. Week 1 down 4 pounds. :happy:
  • kel7298
    Great job CiCi!
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Welcome to all the fellow JUDDDers I've missed! Sorry, I've been absent from the JUDDD boards here, as I can't access the site from work usually. Today, it's letting me. Woohoo!
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    yesterdays DD was tough! It was the start of TOM and I NEEDED sugar!!! So i had a 300 cal or so binge during the day (after being so good up until then, less than 100 cal) then just picked at dinner. Ended up about 700-800 cal. Still having my UD today though, hope it was just a one-off. Geez, we girls suffer, lol...
  • DryHeet
    Hey, you didn't let it turn into a daylong binge! Thats important. Keeping under 800 cal is really great. Just stay in your regular rotation and you'll probably be fine.

Keep it up and good luck,
    Susan