Introductions

Options

Replies

• jillybean_75
    jillybean_75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am Jill, 37 year old single mom to the most wonderful 6 year old (ok, I am biased). I just started NROL4W yesterday, after reading tons of posts and buying and reading the book. Yesterday for workout 1 I just went into my gym, talked to the guy that works there, had him show me where everything was that I needed. He helped me with proper form as well, I am so excited! Sore today, but can't wait for the next workout tomorrow. I will do the same thing and grab another guy. They were really helpful there.

It was kind of intimidating to be in the free weights area (especially when I don't have a friend to go along with me), but I held my own, and with him out there showing me where everything was I needed when I started, it made me feel a lot less intimidated.

I am trying to eat 1500 calories a day (up from 1200 that I was doing previously). I will do some cardio warm up for 12-15 minutes on lifting days, and I can't help but do some other cardio on my non-lifting days.
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hey Y'all,
    Well I have been on this board and on the Facebook group for a short time. Tonight is my Stage one Week 3B workout. So far I love this program. I am lifting more than I thought I could and having a blast.

A bit about me...I am 38, currently married, have been divorced (1st), have one step-son (18), full-time State Government job, and commute 2hours and 30mins minimum (round-trip) ever workday.

To say the least finding the time and energy to work out at the beginning was hard. I started my weight loss journey, for the last time, in June of this year. First I got my food choices under control, and a book that really helped me with that is The Four Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. Tim's book really helped me to get the added sugars out and I followed his plan exactly through most of July. Now that I am lifting I have added back some foods, like healthy grains and starches.

The second thing I did at the beginning was to find some exercises that would allow me to burn 300-400 calories in less than 30 mins. I settled on Kettlebells (20lbs) and Stationary biking (18mph under tension). Now you have to understand that I can burn a lot of calories per min because I am overweight. BUT when done correctly anyone can burn 20 calories a min using Kettlbells, so I highly recommend them. If you are new to KBs check out this video series on how to do the swing correctly, but if you try it and you feel pressure in your lower back, get an instructor to show you how.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYbLjrPXtI0&feature=share (Part 1)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgO81C07VU0&feature=share (Part 2)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ9hBaG9UzQ&feature=relmfu (Part 3)

That brings me to the present. Now I'm 30lbs lighter than I was in June! The thing that really turned it all around for me was committing to working out 3 times a week. I scheduled it, told my friends and family that the times were nonnegotiable, and I stuck to that. :)

Finally there came a day (mid July-ish) were working out was fun, I honestly never thought that would happen to me. I started this journey at just over 300 pounds...exercise was an evil word to me back then. :) Anyway, my husband noticed that I was serious and that he was losing weight because the dinners I made were healthier, lol....he got on board. I am so thankful for that. I know that is not the case for some of y'all, but just keep up the good work. The main thing is I had made the commitment to get myself healthy even if NO ONE ever came along side me. This journey has to be for you not for anyone else or because of anyone else...YOU are valuable and you are worth every drop of sweat and tears. I PROMISE you are!

I have changed my life. Eating well, eating enough (not under) and lifting heavy have made a huge difference. In the last three week I have lost 5 pounds, inches on my waist which is the last place this apple shape body ever loses, and gained confidence. NROL has become my mainstay.

Lift on McDuff!
    Lisa
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Figured I might as well jump in. I've not yet started this journey. I'm completing a 100 mile run challenge for September and on October 1s,t I will start New Rules.

I'm 35 and a mom of three. I'm not new to the gym world, but because of some long term health issues I had to step away for almost 3 years. I was one to always over train. I'd spend 6 days a week in the weight room plus many hours a week doing cardio. And my eating habits, well, that's always been my struggle. It's taking me a long time to accept I cannot "cardio away a poor diet"

I think I'm going to have the greatest struggles with the eating portion & wrapping my head around being allowed to eat so much - and not feeling guilty! Or feeling like I need to run for an hour a day to work off the foods. It's just a mental block I have I guess.

Anyway, I'm thankful for this group and plan on spending a lot of time reading and learning from your experiences.
  • LooptLou25
    LooptLou25 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

As I've been reading so much about this programme & how I can shape my body, I emailed hubby a link about the book - he's been & ordered me a copy today! He comes to the gym with me & is happy to do anything & everything to help - I'm so blessed!

I'm looking forward to it as I've been using the machines at the gym so going free weights & heavy I'm hoping to challenge myself & move the stubborn last few lbs to goal weight (although shape is now more important). I may struggle with lower cardio as will be training for a half marathon so will have to work the 2 programmes around each other & hoping that should not be too hard.

Can't wait for the book to arrive & get started.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just joined the group today! I picked up the book last night, and I plan to join my community center by the time I finish reading it. They have a weight room there, and it's only $90/year, so that will be cheaper than buying equipment. I am trying to talk hubby into lifting with me.

I'm 38 and have been on MFP since July 5. I am doing well with my weight loss and ready to take my fitness to the next level. I used to lift weights back in high school and for a little bit in college. I'm excited to get started again. I used to love my body back then. :happy:
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm starting my first NROLFW workout today and I'm super pumped! I'm 22 year old student and started my fitness and weight loss journey (again) a few months ago. I've lost about 30 pounds so far doing a mix of cardio and simple dumbbell and body weight exercises (stuff like Jillian Michaels DVDs) but I am really excited to start lifting heavy. This is my first venture into the heavy lifting world and I'm a little nervous but I think it will be really good for me. I'm hoping to not only lose weight, but make my body a lot stronger. This is kind of a strange motivator, but I'm a musician, mostly a drummer, and everytime I have to move all of my gear for gigs or rehearsals I feel like I'm going to die! That stuff is heavy and I usually have to carry it long distances and up flights of stairs and crap. I can't wait till I can do this without feeling like I'm about to keel over haha.
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Kelly. Just started NROLFW today; got the book last week and was debating whether or not to do it.

I have two daughters - oldest is almost 8, youngest, is 4, and they are pretty much my life. I'm married to a pretty awesome guy. ;). We are both full time college students; I will graduate with my AA in Social Science this fall. (FINALLY).

I started losing weight last year. I run about 4 days a week but with the combination of NROLFW I will probably cut it to 3 days a week (it's my therapy!).

While I've had some success with my apartment's gym in weight lifting, I wanted to branch out and do more. I did my first workout in NROLFW today. It didn't seem too bad until I got to the prone jackknifes, but I managed to fall off the ball only once! LMAO!

I am a little nervous about increasing calories and having so much protein, but I figure my body knows what it needs to do, and if I lose more I'll be happy. I have a lot of fat in my midsection - hips, belly, thighs - still, even after losing so much weight.

In high school (10 years ago) I took a weight lifting class and loved it, and I still really like it so I think NROLFW will be good in the long run! It felt good to have more of a challenge this morning!
  • missjazzyfe
    Options
    I bought the book a couple of weeks back and I've been trying to work up the motivation to get started. Tomorrow will officially be my first day on the program and I couldn't be more excited/terrified. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it all goes okay.
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I've been wanting to do the NROLFW since last spring, but I thought I should wait until I was done with the race season, which was on Sunday. One week off and I'll start the program on Monday. I'm meeting with a personal trainer this week so she can show me the proper way to do squats, and whatever else I don't feel comfortable with for stage one. While I'm looking forward to it, I'm also hesitant about jumping into unknown territory. Wish me luck!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    My name is Jackie. I have a 4 year old son, work full time, and I'm going back to school in January. I'm 30 years old, and married, but my husband is gone mon-fri working so I'm a single mom during the week. I was on the weightlifting team in school, and did very well. Then I went to college, and got fat. My weight has gone up and down a lot since then. A few months ago I got to my highest weight ever, 172 pounds, and decided I needed to change. I've lost 19 pounds so far, pretty much just through counting calories and doing some 30DS. I just started C25K this week, and I've been reading NROL4W. I'm almost done reading it, and looking forward to getting started. I'm going to be buying equipment for my house in Jan when I get my taxes, and I may have to wait until then to start if gas prices don't go down some though.
  • patmat
    patmat Posts: 19
    Options
    Hello I have been a group member for about a month. I am working on Stage 1 but didn't get a chance to introduce myself, so I guess better late than never! I am familiar with strength training and as a young adult I did strength training to maintain a healthy weight, after the birth of my two daughters and life happening, I stopped lifing. I recently bought the book NROL4W and so enjoy it! I have been having great results in the month that I have been working the program. My co-workers and family members have been making comments regarding my weight loss. But even better than the weight loss is the fat loss, my lean muscle mass has increased and my body fat has decreased. My clothes are not titght and I am going into a smaller size and only in a month.
    In good health...
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm Cat, I'm 26. I've been on MFP for just over a year now and I've lost about 87lbs so far but I've hit yet another brick wall. I'm about 17-18lbs away from my original goal weight. I lost most of my weight doing cardio, mostly workout videos, using my cross trainer and once I'd lost some weight I started kickboxing, which has turned into a passion!

I decided it was time to start strength training because although I've lost alot of weight, I'm still very flabby, according to my scales I'm still 29% BF (not sure how accurate that is though) I played around with kettlebells for a while and while I love them and they're great fun and an amazing workout, I really need the structure of a proper workout to keep me motivated which is where NROL4W comes in.

I started NROL4W yesterday and I'm really looking forward to the next 6 months :smile:
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm back. I sort of took a 3 week almost 4 week break from NROL4W and running and have been nervous about where and when to restart. i miss my workouts, but honestly feel like my strength has diminished some. i have no idea whether I should begin again at Stage 1. I was at the end of Stage 1 when I took a trip and then have not bounced back since I returned. Any ideas on where to start over? or just pick up where I was?

thanks, Andrea
  • FruityGoddess
    FruityGoddess Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi All. I am Emily, vegan, stay at home mom trying to lose 50 lbs. I bought NROL4W and want to start as soon as my sprained ankle heals (within the week) and I have read it but I am still confused about the charts. I am new to lifting and have no idea how a workout should look like. So like for exercise A it says

Squat (page 157)

So I do the squat 2 times, rest, then again, rest, again.. etc. Move on to B?

Do I just lift or workout too? If anyone would add me and just explain it for my fried scattered mom brain I would LOVE you forever!
  • mhoup
    mhoup Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I a Molly, 45 yr old mom. I just bought NROL4W and am eager to get started. I have lost 10 pounds by alternating strenth days and cardio days. I want to stop losing and gaining the same pounds over and over and make healthy living a way of life! I work part time as an Occupational Therapist and double time as a wife and mother. I want to be healthy for myself, first and also for my family and my career. I look forward to getting to know you and learn from you.
  • gust1247
    Options
    Hello, I'm Nicole, 23 years young. I have a lovely son who will be turning 5 on December 4th! I just downloaded NROLFW, and I'm currently reading it. I plan to start between Jan12 and Jan 14. I am finishing up P90x and then will be on vacation in the beginning of Jan. I am 5'10 and about 139 pounds, 20% body fat. I want to get STRONG! I am really hoping this program does it for me. Right now, I'm whimpy and weak :( Although not as weak as I was before starting P90x, haha. Well, I am glad I found this group because I will be needing you for support. This is a long program, and it will extend into the last two semesters of my nursing schooling, yikes! I am pumped to finish the book and prepare to begin in the new year :)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Welcome one & all! I'm Sue, 60, and in the middle of Stage 2, and I love this program! I know there are probably other programs that are as effective but this one just seems to fit me well. Come join the daily chat thread and the various stages threads for lots of great advice and plenty of challenges!
  • firelle
    firelle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all! My name's Jennifer, and I'm 21. I'm getting my book in today and I'm tired of being a stranger to the weights =) I lifted baby weights (5s) when I was thinner, and when I got back onto MFP this month I just did 10s for curls... but I had a feeling they were weak! So here I am!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am just starting this program today... I am not new to working out but this will definitely be a good challenge for me. I keep gaining and losing the same 10-15 every year... somehow I need to find a way to keep it off.
    Where is the best place to look or post questions regarding this workout program. I am confused by the log in the book. On the blank log it only goes up to Workout 4 but I see in stage 1 it goes to 8?? Also concerned that for some of the moves, I don't (or my gym) does not have the equipment, for example, the step to do the dead lifts... Any advice support would be appreciated.
    I am 47, married, no 2-legged kids but 3 4-legged ones, 1 dog, 2 cats... I am a stress eater and at times a binge eater... Under a bit of stress now since I cannot run due to knee issues currently but some other stressors - which brings me to another question.... any runners out there using this program in addition to running??
    Well off to the gym for workout #1 Stage 1. Feel free to friend me!
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hey ! My name is Brandi, I'm 34yrs old. I have started stage 1 over recently (i was 2 weeks into stage 2 and then life happened and I lost focus for a bit) I love how lifting makes me feel and am looking for a few friends along the way!