Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    Glad you're okay, sue.

I am in the middle of an "unplanned" rest week. Work has EXPLODED and I've worked 15-hour days for, oh, about 4 days straight now. I have a couple more to put in.

:(

So, no gym for me. Saturday was a wipe-out in terms of ANY control in calories. Yesterday was much better and today I've eaten exactly one protein bar.

(If I'm not getting to the gym, my calories have to be EXTRA-LOW!)

Gosh, with luck, I'll be back at the gym on Thursday - will be starting Phase 3 of NROL4Abs. am excited.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    beeps...Happy belated birthday! Hope it was a great one! sorry about the crazy week...sometimes those cannot be helped though.

sam and sue I hope you guys continue to be ok. so sad for all the devastation and loss.

to lift in I wear an old ratty pair of asics. I badly need new shoes to run in and want to buy a cheap-o pair of generic converse or something to lift in.

I just did the three set workout A in stage one and I have to say it was definitely tougher. but I loved every minute of it. I also upped all my weight today too. First day squatting 85 pounds. awesome! although the faces I make when lifting...well let's just say they are not too pretty!

I am also registered to run an 8K this weekend! I am pretty excited. I notice that with lifting my running is easier and am noticing too that my flexibility is better. which was a side effect I did not see coming. have a lovely day everyone!
  • mermegan
    mermegan Posts: 143
    Options
    Glad our east coasters are doing ok. My family and friends were spared with minimal damage but it is so heartbreaking.
    What kind of shoes do you wear while lifting? I bought a cushy pair of Asics over the summer when I was still a cardio queen who was intimidated by barbie weights. But I'm finding when I'm doing lunges or squats or the like my feet are wobbling around in my shoes and it's difficult to complete the moves with the right form. I'm curious to hear what you all wear.

Chucks! Seriously, lifting in Converse is amazing. I too have heard Vibram's are good but I've never worn them. My lifting became so much better after I ditched the cushion shoe. You're right—you don't have the stability and you can't feel the ground under your feet. I can lift more/push through my feet and legs better when I'm wearing Chucks. And they're 40 bucks so hey!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I need some help here. I need help getting back up in the wagon and you can't be nice about it. yell at me to log my food, yell at me to go to the gym. keep me accountable and when I waver yell at me some more.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I support vibrams as the ultimate lifting shoe. I feel like everything goes from "meh" to "kapow!"
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Sam, I am sorry about your family. I can't imagine how difficult things are for all affected. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Sue, I hope you are able to be in your own house tonight.

Re: Shoes. I do most of the lifts barefoot, but am thinking of getting some Vibrams.

Beeps, sorry about your surprise rest week.

We're moved in, but I have so much to do. I had a nasty stomach bug over the weekend (in the midst of moving), so I'm somewhat worn out. However, this place is just lovely and it will be wonderful once we're settled in.
  • mermegan
    Options
    Well, I've never been so happy for my TOM (that's not entirely true :)

BUT, I got down to 158 and I've been back up to good ol' 160 for the past few days. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but I've been hovering at 160 for 5 years (granted I had another baby in that time) It's so frustrating not to break that plateau. Hopefully this is TOM induced. I was starting to feel like I could never have a glass of wine or chocolate.

What is everyone's favorite stage in NROL4W? I'm almost into stage 3. Stage 2 has really shown me my weak spots (glutes and hammies)

Hope everyone is doing well.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The shoes I have been running and lifting in finally died today. I have been needing to get some new shoes but am hard pressed to buy for myself most of the time.

today I got a new pair of running shoes, which will eventually be my trail and mud running shoes because I am going to get a better pair of running shoes once I have time to research. I also got a pair of flat soled shoes for lifting in. $5 at Target...can't beat that. Excited to try them out tonight when I go lift. although I am not excited about being at the gym in the evening. I may have a tough time getting to the lifting equipment. fingers crossed.
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, just checking in to say hi! What is the protein challenge a lot of people do on this thread? I see people posting numbers but idk what any of them mean! The Me and NEP stuff?
  • samntha14
    Options
    I feel human today :)
    I went to work which meant packing my food for the day. I planned high protein day. I'm at 113 without a shake. So good day for me. I do plan on going to the gym, even in this insane snowy weather we are having. Seriously, though Mother Nature, stop picking on Jersey lol.

My favorite stage of NROL was 6. I felt powerful and doing my first unassisted chin up was the absolutely, most incredible feeling. Today will be my first Protein challenge day of the month, but you can assume with mega carbs the last 10 days, I didn't score any ME's (I didn't log last week)

ME: 1 (Me meeting my goal)
    NEP:0 (Not enough protein)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Yea!! WE ARE HOME!!!!! YEA!!! I can go to the gym!!! YEA!!! I actually looked at the weights in the basement last night - no time to workout, since we have not an ounce of food in the house, and unbelievably the house is a wreck! I need to clean and put things away, cycle out summer-ish stuff for real winter wear etc. But I'm going to use the elliptical or bike tonight for a bit and Saturday, meeting iwth my trainer (who I totally love by the way) and get back to Stage 2.

Beeps hunni I missed your birthday but I love how your family did everything they could to celebrate! Happy belated birthday!!!

Sam, isn't it amazing how good that ol' routine feels!? I have one more piece for mine to be "normal" again - my train is still out of service and probably will be for a good long while, since there was so much track and overhead wire damage. Although there is bus service, the thought of riding a jam packed commuter bus 45 miles into NYC makes me nauseous. So I am driving 40 of those miles to a park & ride and then bussing the short distance into Port Authority. It's a total madhouse, many of the commuter systems are still very disrupted and people don't have much patience with that.

Gadenni, I can't do the gym in the evening either, it's just too crowded. Tell me what you decide on for lifting shoes. I've been wearing my old sneaks but I need to replace them.
    I support vibrams as the ultimate lifting shoe. I feel like everything goes from "meh" to "kapow!"

I've been looking at them. Tell me why they make such a difference please?

Well I don't have a fav since i've only just started Stage 2 but I will say that overall, I really like the program!

Can I restart the protein challenge again? I have totally lost track of that and I need to get back to it! I've been a real slacker during the time we were up north.
  • jrnapo
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!! Yeah, I've heard so much about vibrams but I'm not sure I could go for it. I'm intimidated by them, if that makes any sense. I think I'll ease my way into it. I found a pair of New Balances online that are supposedly super flat so I'll give them a try. Thanks again!

I've found my biggest problem with the program is my ability to commit to the nutrition part. I started using shakes after my workouts and they're ok, don't love them but I'll do it. And I try to be better about eating more protein on workout days since tracking on here has revealed to me that some days I'm only getting around 30g. I wouldn't say I really eat bad, lots of veggies and whole grains, but I just struggle with the protein part. I just bought the Nature Valley Protein granola bars and I'm in LOVE with them. Anyone else tried them? So tasty and an easy way to get in an extra 10g of protein.

Going to the gym in the evening is the WORST. I made the switch to 7 am workouts a few weeks ago and wonder why I didn't do this a loooooong time ago.

And so sorry to all the East Coasters for Athena last night. I've been hearing it made things even more miserable than they already are, if that's even possible. My parents are on Day 11 of no power and I think they're going a little crazy, understandably so. Hope everyone is staying as warm and safe as they can!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    Just checking in. Haven't made it to the gym since October 31. I have put in 15-hour days every day since then, at work. I have about 4 or 5 more in a row (major transaction happening!).

I was terrible with my diet on Sat. Super good on Sunday and Monday. So, so on tues and it all fell apart, yesterday.

Today, too.

:(

TOM is coming. I have NO idea how much I weigh or anything. I just know I feel like CRAP as I've had no more than 4 hours of sleep per night and I haven't been to the gym in a LONG TIME (for me).

GO KILL IT!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Well it is taking me FOREVER to finish Stage 1 because my work schedule keeps getting in the way of the gym! grrr. I only have TWO workouts left!!!!!

Suelegal - I have been a vibram five fingers convert for 2 years so I will try to explain what is so amazing about them. Let me insert a disclaimer: they are NOT for the elliptical or any other indoor machine (imho) OR very long distance running (running a half marathon in them caused me a very serious fracture). BUT for lifting, mud runs, trail runs, or anything on pavement 4 miles or less they are GREAT!! Y r they so great? This sounds weird, but they feel how it is SUPPOSED to feel! U put them on and they FORCE u to mid-foot strike when running (heel striking, what ppl do in sneakers, is unnatural and bad for you), and they just allow your foot to support your body in the most natural way.

They are cheaper than running shoes so I advocate trying them. Buy them. Put them on. Wear them around the house. If in 30 min you don't forget you are wearing them i'd b shocked! If you ever do any trail running, hiking, mud runs they are the BEST for that too.

so that is my plug for vibrams!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    emgel, thanks for that great information! I will try them.
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Well it is taking me FOREVER to finish Stage 1 because my work schedule keeps getting in the way of the gym! grrr. I only have TWO workouts left!!!!!

Suelegal - I have been a vibram five fingers convert for 2 years so I will try to explain what is so amazing about them. Let me insert a disclaimer: they are NOT for the elliptical or any other indoor machine (imho) OR very long distance running (running a half marathon in them caused me a very serious fracture). BUT for lifting, mud runs, trail runs, or anything on pavement 4 miles or less they are GREAT!! Y r they so great? This sounds weird, but they feel how it is SUPPOSED to feel! U put them on and they FORCE u to mid-foot strike when running (heel striking, what ppl do in sneakers, is unnatural and bad for you), and they just allow your foot to support your body in the most natural way.

They are cheaper than running shoes so I advocate trying them. Buy them. Put them on. Wear them around the house. If in 30 min you don't forget you are wearing them i'd b shocked! If you ever do any trail running, hiking, mud runs they are the BEST for that too.

so that is my plug for vibrams!

Awesome thanks for the info, I have been wanting to try them for ages. Tried to give barefoot running a go but just didn't feel brave enough - tried a few times just walking etc but didn't get as far as running. Do you have to build up to running in them?
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    YES! you do have to build up running in them because barefoot running works your calf muscles and arch muscles in new ways. The Vibram website even has recommendations for building up running in them. If you ignore these recs and just dive in to it you will be SO FREAKIN SORE.

Walking in them first is a great idea. The way I did it for running was about a 1/2 mile at a time. I would do my cardio work out then strap on my five fingers and run 1/2 mile. After a few days i upped it to a mile. and so on. When I upped it to fast I was very sore. But you may want to just keep running in them since they make running SO much easier! I hope you all like them as much as I do!

One note: I did buy the injinji socks about 3 weeks after I bought my five fingers because I was getting blisters. The socks took care of that!

I wore my vibrams in a 5k zobmie mud run last weekend and where everyone else was slipping all over the mud I had great traction, and where everyone else was whining that their shoes were waterlogged I didn't care bc vibrams are like water shoes!
  • mermegan
    Options
    Just losing it on my food intake. My TOM is here and I just want carbs! Booze, chocolate, bread, you name it. I'm trying to reign it in but struggling. I told my kids they could keep 5 pieces of candy and trade the rest for a small toy. They are SO in, which also means I get temptation out of the house. Win, Win. I woke up in the middle of the night and ate two fun size packages of M&Ms and a Reese's PB cup. WTF? In the middle of the night, disgraceful!

Hope everyone is doing awesome in the gym (and in the kitchen!)
  • samntha14
    Options
    Had the gym totally to myself last night. My strength is fairly intact, but my stamina was for poop. I only did 2 sets of each rotation and it feel like phase 1 of ABS will never be over for me. I guess that's what happens when you only lift two days a week. How did that happen?

ME:1
    NEP: 1
    I'm way under on calories but VERY low on protein
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I told my kids they could keep 5 pieces of candy and trade the rest for a small toy. They are SO in, which also means I get temptation out of the house. Win, Win. I woke up in the middle of the night and ate two fun size packages of M&Ms and a Reese's PB cup. WTF? In the middle of the night, disgraceful!

What a great idea. Of course, now that I've eaten practically all of the kids' Halloween candy, it might be too late for that tactic. My eating has been HORRIBLE for like 2 weeks now. I'm very slowly reigning it in. Very slowly -- like 10 pieces of candy last week; down to 5 today. That kind of thing.

I've been under the weather the past few days and am just hoping I feel 100% tomorrow so I can get in my FINAL Stage 2 workout. Fingers crossed...