The mythical "ideal partner" (?)

Options

Replies

• RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    "My" Ideal would be...

A family man that values home life, but at the same time has a good circle of friends. He's good with children and a great role model. Loves football and baseball, and doesn't blink when I cuss at a bad call once in awhile. He's goofy, but knows when to be serious. Financially and emotionally stable, doesn't live with his parents (or roommates). Physically fit and enjoys the outdoors. Can normally be found in jeans/shorts, but doesn't mind cleaning up in a suit.

So, yeah. That's it.

I can so tell that you're a singler parent....me too. So, I have to agree. The above sounds dreamy. :love:

LOL, I agree.... might be a dream, but I can hope right?
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I like this question because I really can't answer it.

I've probably been in love twice, both ideal at the time, both with qualities that I'd look for now, but completely opposite of each other, so I 'm not sure I can define ideal because neither of these people appeared in any way ideal to me at first. One of them is a total recluse- something that would have never been "ideal" or even tolerable- but I grew to accept it. Things that seem non-negotiable like the ability to socialize in a comfortable way or even intelligence might not really be non-negotiable to me- my mom is probably measurably more intelligent than my dad (although he's still smart and awesome).

Maybe ideal is just that whoever he is - he accepts me (and my daughter) and I find whatever I need to find in him to do the same?
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Being a woman who likes sports I swear is a deterrent. I'm a sports writer and I can't even pay a guy to go out with me. I hope it works well for other women!

My ex-husband hates sports, which I never understood, but accepted. After the divorce, I swore I'd always be "me" and not settle. There are some men that don't care for sports loving women, but they're not the men for me. I have found that the more I can be myself, the happier I am (even if it means being single). That said....I've found that in my mid-30s, men are much more accepting of the sports loving side of me. :)
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Being a woman who likes sports I swear is a deterrent. I'm a sports writer and I can't even pay a guy to go out with me. I hope it works well for other women!

I agree. Guys are not enamored of women who may know more about sports than they do! It feels like encroachment upon our special world. Granted, women are not usually sexually attracted to men with deep knowledge of women's shoes and handbags.

I like a woman who is the athletic type and can play sports. Watching sports has taken more of a backseat in my life as the years progress, so I'm neutral on the whole sports watching thing. But being active is a big deal to me. It'd be nice if she played tennis, which is the sport I play best. The only time I watch tennis is during the major tournaments, and usually in the later rounds.

Also, for a female sports writer (or any female sports media member), there'd be the locker room issue. I'm not sure how many guys would feel about their girlfriends seeing naked men in the locker room after games. Locker room nudity in front of female journalists has odd outcomes (oualum-I'm sure you're familiar with the Lisa Olson Patriots incident and Ines Sainz's hullabaloo around the Jets). Personally, I favor an interview room, where no journalist sees an athlete naked. Takes odd gender dynamics out of it.

I like the Deadspin blog. Deadspin has this Anonymous PR guy question (http://deadspin.com/anonymous-pr-guy). Below was one intriguing question asked by a Deadspin reader.....

ShakeThatBear8 2 months ago
    You GOTTA answer this for me!! Friends and I always debate it...how many female anchors at ESPN/FOX/ etc. get pounded by the athletes? We guess often.
    AnonymousPRGuy @ShakeThatBear8 2 months ago
    I don't think the anchors do - but sideline reporters most definitely! Which former ESPN sideline reporter was David Wright's side piece? Which NFL sideline reporter was A-Rod's side piece? :)

So there's knowledge that exists that there is contact between athletes and female journalists. A famous example was Derek Lowe when he was with the Los Angeles Dodgers cheating on his wife with Carolyn Hughes of the Fox Sports West. Lowe and Hughes later got married.

Boyfriends might be concerned about this. Trust is what matters most though.
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options

My ex-husband hates sports, which I never understood, but accepted. After the divorce, I swore I'd always be "me" and not settle. There are some men that don't care for sports loving women, but they're not the men for me. I have found that the more I can be myself, the happier I am (even if it means being single). That said....I've found that in my mid-30s, men are much more accepting of the sports loving side of me. :)

For me, a woman that likes sports (watching or playing) is great. My last girlfriend was this way and it was so nice to be able to watch a football game or whatever and not have to explain the rules. And it made it fun and competitive between us.

So definitely would love if my next girlfriend was also a fan of sports. I think other things I look for as 'ideal' are:
    A competitive spirit - where everything can be made into a game.
    A sense of humor for sure (sarcastic even better as that is what mine is)
    Independence - tired of going out with girls that can't hold a job and support themselves. I am done.
    And a finally a sense of adventure. So breaking out of routines, traveling, trying new things. And as of late, someone who is physically active and is always trying to better themselves, as that is where I am in my life right now.

For me, physical aspects (to a degree of course) such as eye/hair color, height, weight, etc take more of a backseat.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Ocho Pinko is my ideal partner right now. Boys drool.

is that your new "toy"
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    my ideal partner is someone who is not perfect, but who is perfect for me.

if you can't laugh or play it won't work. if you think you are a god, or God's gift to the world, it won't work. if are you controlling or abusive in anyway, it won't work. if you don't like kids, it won't work. if you don't enjoy the outdoors, hiking, camping, back packing, the beach, water, lazy days by the pool, it won't work. if you think road trips are a horrible way to spend your time, it won't work. if you don't believe in personal hygiene and working out, it won't work. if you don't like being the aggressor or more dominant one, it won't work. if you can't hold a simple conversation or use the phone on occasion ( including asking for dates), it won't work. if you are a child molester or abuser, it won't work. if you are a drug addict or alcoholic, it won't work. if you live with your parents, or are married, or have a GF or other emotional issue that make you unable to detach and become emotionally available, it won't work. if you are bitter towards an ex and cannot let it go, as in NEVER stop talking about her, it won't work. if after 1 month i can't see your place, it won't work. if you don't trust me because you don't trust women in general, it won't work. if you have sexual issues that keep you from obtaining or maintaining erection, or orgasming, or your turn ons and kinky interests are something akin to acting out rape, it won't work.
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It takes two. I've only met half but unfortunately she did not feel the same way. She would walk into the room I was in and my face would instantly light up. I didn't know I was doing this. A friend noticed my reaction each time I saw her. But, she didn't feel the same way about me. :brokenheart:

I may have had a similar effect on some women but again it takes two and I didn't feel that way about them.

It's a chemistry thing. When I date someone I threat them special but the chemistry is elusive. I don't want to settle. I'm looking for her that sparks my Bunsen burner.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    if you have sexual issues that keep you from obtaining or maintaining erection, or orgasming, or your turn ons and kinky interests are something akin to acting out rape, it won't work.

OMG!! :noway: how many men like this have you met???

I met a guy once that couldnt get an erection cos his ex wife used to make him participate in swinging parties if he wanted sex. She wouldnt have sex with him alone, which rendered him impotent.

Sad eh !
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

is that your new "toy"

hahaha! Well done Catherine, I just googled and yes, it's pink and erect!!! :laugh:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

is that your new "toy"

Isn`t that a wide receiver that used to play for the Bengals?
  • 4themoney
    Options
    eh, not too many. LOL but i will say, it's not gonna work out if you fit any part of that description. i'd rather he cum too fast than not at all, in all honesty.......
    if you have sexual issues that keep you from obtaining or maintaining erection, or orgasming, or your turn ons and kinky interests are something akin to acting out rape, it won't work.

OMG!! :noway: how many men like this have you met???

I met a guy once that couldnt get an erection cos his ex wife used to make him participate in swinging parties if he wanted sex. She wouldnt have sex with him alone, which rendered him impotent.

Sad eh !
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Love it when the women get all graphic...lol

Ochocinco is the football player. Think he's a free agent.

I admit I totally googled Ocho pinko too! Be careful though...the right toy is a blessing and a curse!
  • Carl01
    Options
    I admit I totally googled Ocho pinko too! Be careful though...the right toy is a blessing and a curse!

lalala.gif
  • 4themoney
    Options
    oh i can get graphic. i typically don't filter anything i say or type...... though, for carl's angelic ears i might have to keep it a touch pg 13 ;-)

• shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Ideal-
    In broad terms... he is smart, funny, understands that I'm not affectionate, fit, moderate to no alcohol consumption

He would not only want to introduce me to new things, but would also want to have some adventures that are new to both of us. He would not only put up with my wacky moods, but he may even think they are cute, (even if he wouldn't admit it.) Maybe he would pretend that it hurts when I punch him. He could make me smile when I want to slap the **** out of everyone around me.
    Keep me on my toes both when it comes to intellect and energy... And drive. He must have drive. I want to be able to grow, and if he wasn't trying to do the same, then what progress could I make?

Realistic? Nah. I don't expect anyone to put up with all of my **** :)
  • Carl01
    Options
    oh i can get graphic. i typically don't filter anything i say or type...... though, for carl's angelic ears i might have to keep it a touch pg 13 ;-)

You know me better then that :laugh:
  • 4themoney
    Options
    i do :-)
    just teasin'........
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    ShakeThatBear8 2 months ago
    You GOTTA answer this for me!! Friends and I always debate it...how many female anchors at ESPN/FOX/ etc. get pounded by the athletes? We guess often.
    AnonymousPRGuy @ShakeThatBear8 2 months ago
    I don't think the anchors do - but sideline reporters most definitely! Which former ESPN sideline reporter was David Wright's side piece? Which NFL sideline reporter was A-Rod's side piece? :)

So there's knowledge that exists that there is contact between athletes and female journalists. A famous example was Derek Lowe when he was with the Los Angeles Dodgers cheating on his wife with Carolyn Hughes of the Fox Sports West. Lowe and Hughes later got married.

Boyfriends might be concerned about this. Trust is what matters most though.

There is a ESPN reporter by the name of Samantha Steele dating Christian Ponder of the Vikings.

ETA - I don't get how a reporter dates an athlete she's only met a handful of times at the most, but hey, she's hot, probably had something to do with it.

This might be incredibly sexist, but if you're a woman in sports reporting, I don't think you can date the athletes. I just think it discredits you, makes you seem to be a fan girl.

I like the NHL, I will pay for game tickets and watch on TV. I loved my college hockey team, didn't miss a game. That is the extent of my sports fan-ship. I hate the Minnesota Vikings (my home team), not the NFL though, but I will never watch a NFL game unless it's the super bowl. If a guy wanted to watch NHL with me I'd be so enthused, but I wouldn't force him to. And you certainly wouldn't catch me watching Sunday football with him unless I wanted to.

If you like sports, I think it is great to like sports...but you should never fake it for a man. Just tell them, "I hate baseball! I'm going to the gym while the game's on, let's go out after!"
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options

is that your new "toy"

hahaha! Well done Catherine, I just googled and yes, it's pink and erect!!! :laugh:

Bahahahahahaha!! It is very pretty isn't it!! I am quite excited (tee hee) to get it! I get it this morning!