May 2013 Due Dates

Options

Replies

• mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday ladies (i'mtrying to be optimist lol).

How's everyone doing? I think our family is finally over the stomach bug (after little man got it, I got it and then my mom caught it - yuck). One of our friends that had borrowed a lot of our baby stuff (bouncer, swing, exersaucer, etc...) is moving this week so she brough it all back over last night and I'm starting to feel like we don't have that many big purchases this time around! I'd still like to get a double stroller (preferably the Sit 'N Stand) and we need to figure out the bed situation... I think we are going to transition our 20 month old into a twin bed, but if I can't convince DH to do that we might need an extra crib/play yard for the babe. Our oldest slept in the carseat for the first few months due to reflux - so I'm not even positive it's that big of a deal for a few more months.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I hope you're doing well. Off to Canada to house hunt and meet with a midwife and maybe a doula.

Have a great week.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

How's everyone doing? I think our family is finally over the stomach bug (after little man got it, I got it and then my mom caught it - yuck). One of our friends that had borrowed a lot of our baby stuff (bouncer, swing, exersaucer, etc...) is moving this week so she brough it all back over last night and I'm starting to feel like we don't have that many big purchases this time around! I'd still like to get a double stroller (preferably the Sit 'N Stand) and we need to figure out the bed situation... I think we are going to transition our 20 month old into a twin bed, but if I can't convince DH to do that we might need an extra crib/play yard for the babe. Our oldest slept in the carseat for the first few months due to reflux - so I'm not even positive it's that big of a deal for a few more months.

We are in the same boat. Our son turned 2 yesterday (!), and we need to clean out an entire bedroom, then furnish it for him. We don't have room for another crib, and I really don't want to spend the money. We put our son in his crib pretty early on, at least for nighttime sleeping, but he was fine in his bassinet, plus we have a portable crib (Graco - like a Pack 'n Play, just smaller) that also has a bassinet function/attachment, so that's an option for the baby if he hasn't fully made the transition yet. We need to work on the room first, but it's hard to find the time because, well, we have a toddler to watch!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I hope you're doing well. Off to Canada to house hunt and meet with a midwife and maybe a doula.

Have a great week.

Good luck!

And sorry for being so brief (as compared to my usual novelettes); one of the area bridges was shut down this morning, so I couldn't get my son to school, and it wasn't until 1PM that I got back from bringing him finally - which means I have to play catch-up in the office.
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options

As far as transitioning to a twin bed goes - we started that with the twins this past weekend (they're 16 months). We're doing it the same way we did for our oldest child (who was the same age). We start with naps on a twin mattress on the floor. No box spring, etc. Our oldest is small for her age, so the twin bed was HUGE for her at 16 months, so we actually started with the crib mattress on the floor for her. We got one of those bed rail things for the side so she wouldn't roll out. This time around, we went straight to twin beds for the twins (haha) and they haven't had any issues (they're bigger/taller than their sister was at the same age). We aren't even doing the bed rail for them, actually. So anyway, just a mattress on the floor at naptime. Then after adjusting for a week or 2 (or however long it takes for the child to adjust to the new bed) quit the crib at night as well. It worked awesome for our oldest, and so far so good for the twins. Since we just started it on Saturday at naptime, they've had 3 successful naps on the 'big kid' beds. We'll probably try nighttime this upcoming weekend.
  • mormonmomma11
    Options
    As far as transitioning to a twin bed goes - we started that with the twins this past weekend (they're 16 months). We're doing it the same way we did for our oldest child (who was the same age). We start with naps on a twin mattress on the floor. No box spring, etc. Our oldest is small for her age, so the twin bed was HUGE for her at 16 months, so we actually started with the crib mattress on the floor for her. We got one of those bed rail things for the side so she wouldn't roll out. This time around, we went straight to twin beds for the twins (haha) and they haven't had any issues (they're bigger/taller than their sister was at the same age). We aren't even doing the bed rail for them, actually. So anyway, just a mattress on the floor at naptime. Then after adjusting for a week or 2 (or however long it takes for the child to adjust to the new bed) quit the crib at night as well. It worked awesome for our oldest, and so far so good for the twins. Since we just started it on Saturday at naptime, they've had 3 successful naps on the 'big kid' beds. We'll probably try nighttime this upcoming weekend.

Sounds like a great plan... I need to get my husband and my mother (grandma babysits during the day - how lucky are we?) and make sure we are all ready to go down the path together. I just know that if one of us lets up, it won't work... our little man needs consistency. Thanks for your game plan - that makes sense to me!
  • BananaCat83
    BananaCat83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Sorry I've been MIA, MFP has been giving me issues so I gave up on tracking...it keeps logging me out every time I try to search for a new food :grumble: But I'm still in the gym 5x a week and trying to eat well. It's a bit frustrating, because no matter how well I eat and how much I exercise, I'm still gaining fast! I held it pretty well for 2 weeks then gained 3.2lbs last week :huh: So, I'm at 20lbs gained at 22 weeks. I've lost sight of my toes unless I lean over to look at them, and our BOY is moving around like crazy in there! :love: Looking forward to reading back and catching up with everyone!!
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Sorry I've been MIA, MFP has been giving me issues so I gave up on tracking...it keeps logging me out every time I try to search for a new food :grumble: But I'm still in the gym 5x a week and trying to eat well. It's a bit frustrating, because no matter how well I eat and how much I exercise, I'm still gaining fast! I held it pretty well for 2 weeks then gained 3.2lbs last week :huh: So, I'm at 20lbs gained at 22 weeks. I've lost sight of my toes unless I lean over to look at them, and our BOY is moving around like crazy in there! :love: Looking forward to reading back and catching up with everyone!!

I havent really been tracking with my pregnancy...its so hard...and kind of depressing because I eat so much during the day and am still hungry....Ive decided today and tomorrow I am really going to focus on my water intake so I may lose the water weight before Friday....I see the scale go up almost 5lbs every 2 weeks and its upsetting =/.....I want to try and start tracking, but with little snacks here and there it is tough (especially becuase I dont like the app). But I feel I need to focus...what are some snacks you ladies are eating? I eat a lot of fruit....but I need more variety than fruit and granola bars because its a lot of sugar....I just dont want to be told I am gaining too much! I am almost to the weight I was when I had my son and I wasnt planning on reaching this for quite a few more weeks.....I am only 24 weeks and I am not quite sure what my starting weight was because I was working out a lot and didnt weigh myself but weekly, but I have gained about 30-32lbs =/.....so I need some more healthy snack ideas :)
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Have a great week.

Hope you can find a great place!! Look forward to hearing the updates!
  • RBXChas
    Options

I havent really been tracking with my pregnancy...its so hard...and kind of depressing because I eat so much during the day and am still hungry....Ive decided today and tomorrow I am really going to focus on my water intake so I may lose the water weight before Friday....I see the scale go up almost 5lbs every 2 weeks and its upsetting =/.....I want to try and start tracking, but with little snacks here and there it is tough (especially becuase I dont like the app). But I feel I need to focus...what are some snacks you ladies are eating? I eat a lot of fruit....but I need more variety than fruit and granola bars because its a lot of sugar....I just dont want to be told I am gaining too much! I am almost to the weight I was when I had my son and I wasnt planning on reaching this for quite a few more weeks.....I am only 24 weeks and I am not quite sure what my starting weight was because I was working out a lot and didnt weigh myself but weekly, but I have gained about 30-32lbs =/.....so I need some more healthy snack ideas :)

Same issues here. I eat a lot during the day (because, well, I'm hungry!), and then I eat a lot at night, too. I try to tell myself nothing to eat after 8PM (because sometimes I don't get to eat dinner until 7:30), which works well. I can drink, but I only drink water with lemon juice.

I crave fruit, fruit, and more fruit, so I don't know what else to add. I try to keep Greek yogurt on hand because it's good and filling. I've gotten tired of 0% Chobani (because Costco sells it at a great price), so I've switched to 2% Chobani. It's so much richer and creamier, and I like the flavors better overall (strawberry banana....). Otherwise I try not to buy sweets because those kill me. If they're there, I eat them. I haven't bought ice cream since I had morning sickness (it made me feel better) because I would eat a huge bowl of ice cream every night if I could.
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options

Same issues here. I eat a lot during the day (because, well, I'm hungry!), and then I eat a lot at night, too. I try to tell myself nothing to eat after 8PM (because sometimes I don't get to eat dinner until 7:30), which works well. I can drink, but I only drink water with lemon juice.

I crave fruit, fruit, and more fruit, so I don't know what else to add. I try to keep Greek yogurt on hand because it's good and filling. I've gotten tired of 0% Chobani (because Costco sells it at a great price), so I've switched to 2% Chobani. It's so much richer and creamier, and I like the flavors better overall (strawberry banana....). Otherwise I try not to buy sweets because those kill me. If they're there, I eat them. I haven't bought ice cream since I had morning sickness (it made me feel better) because I would eat a huge bowl of ice cream every night if I could.

My issue with yogurt is all the sugar, and I am not a fan of plain yogurt at all. I have gone to vanilla soy milk from the chocolate and love the taste and it is saving me a lot of sugar during the day, so its been great, plus the calcium, so I dont feel bad not having yogurt every day....all I want is fruit as well...I will munch on carrots and celery here and there, but for the most part its just fruit.
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Tara, if you want to keep having yogurt but control your sugar intake, you can try making it. I follow this blog regularly and her yogurt is good. The texture/taste differ from store-bought yogurt but we adjusted to it pretty quickly when I started making it. I like to buy dehydrated strawberries and crush them to add in if I want 'strawberry yogurt' instead of vanilla. http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/10/how-to-make-homemade-yogurt-2/ Obviously adding regular fruit or granola also makes it AMAZING (and helps with the texure/taste adjustment).

(I would have quoted your post but I'm on my phone and the scrolling is funky in the text box and wouldn't cooperate.)

ETA: I also love that when making your own yogurt, the ingredient list is milk, sugar, vanilla (and whatever is in the starter, but I'm sure the added ingredients in there get diluted out pretty quickly).
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options
    Tara, if you want to keep having yogurt but control your sugar intake, you can try making it. I follow this blog regularly and her yogurt is good. The texture/taste differ from store-bought yogurt but we adjusted to it pretty quickly when I started making it. I like to buy dehydrated strawberries and crush them to add in if I want 'strawberry yogurt' instead of vanilla. http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/10/how-to-make-homemade-yogurt-2/ Obviously adding regular fruit or granola also makes it AMAZING (and helps with the texure/taste adjustment).

(I would have quoted your post but I'm on my phone and the scrolling is funky in the text box and wouldn't cooperate.)

ETA: I also love that when making your own yogurt, the ingredient list is milk, sugar, vanilla (and whatever is in the starter, but I'm sure the added ingredients in there get diluted out pretty quickly).

Ty! I am so going to look at this right now! I love yogurt and my son does too, but like I said the sugar is killer! I will be adding all kinds of fruit if I like it!
  • LadyJocc
    LadyJocc Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Ty! I am so going to look at this right now! I love yogurt and my son does too, but like I said the sugar is killer! I will be adding all kinds of fruit if I like it!

Also, Fage 0% or 2% have pretty low sugar (in comparison to other brands) and you can spice them up with toppings if plain isn't your thing.

Glad everyone is well! I'm in sewing mode - made some throw pillows and a crib skirt last night -- curtains on tap tonight! Happy Hump Day!
  • BananaCat83
    BananaCat83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

I've been snacking on raw veggies with hummus this week. I did make the mistake of buying a thing of chocolate covered raisins at Costco yesterday so I've been grabbing handfuls of those all day :blushing: Last week I was always hungry; I'd do the veggies with hummus, a couple of string cheese with reduced fat triscuits (sometimes with deli turkey), fruit, etc. I usually buy the 4lb bowl of mixed fruit at Costco because I'm too lazy to eat it unless its already washed and cut up!
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options

Also, Fage 0% or 2% have pretty low sugar (in comparison to other brands) and you can spice them up with toppings if plain isn't your thing.

Glad everyone is well! I'm in sewing mode - made some throw pillows and a crib skirt last night -- curtains on tap tonight! Happy Hump Day!

I have been meaning to try Fage, I will also look at the sugar intake when I go out next time and see! Thank you! I wish I could sew...I am really thinking I am going to learn to knit/crochet after the girls get here....or maybe before, but I feel like I dont have time as is...but I want to make hats and scarves! :)
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options

I've been snacking on raw veggies with hummus this week. I did make the mistake of buying a thing of chocolate covered raisins at Costco yesterday so I've been grabbing handfuls of those all day :blushing: Last week I was always hungry; I'd do the veggies with hummus, a couple of string cheese with reduced fat triscuits (sometimes with deli turkey), fruit, etc. I usually buy the 4lb bowl of mixed fruit at Costco because I'm too lazy to eat it unless its already washed and cut up!

I havent tried hummus before, I hear its delicious so I may need to try it and see if that encourages more raw veggie snacking! I do love triscuits and ate them a lot in the beginning, but I havent been buying them like I was, I usually get the cracker sandwiches now so I can vary it up a bit. I like your suggestions though so thank you! Gives me ideas!
  • mormonmomma11
    Options
    Speaking of healthy snacks... (hummus, homeade yogurt) I'm looking for some shelf stable snacks I can leave in my desk at work to keep out of my coworkers candy bowl and away from the vending machine.

I already drink only water at work, and I usually have a thing of crackers in my drawer but I'm looking for options that have more to them than just carbs. I'm thinking stuff like:

Single Serve Peanut Butter
    Granola Bars (which brand?)
    Some fresh fruit (I love bananas)
    Baby Carrots

The only thing is - I'd prefer to have a few options incase I forget my fruit/veggies. Anyone have preferences on prepackaged fruit cups (in 100% Juice) or other healthier snacks for at work/on the go?
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options
    Speaking of healthy snacks... (hummus, homeade yogurt) I'm looking for some shelf stable snacks I can leave in my desk at work to keep out of my coworkers candy bowl and away from the vending machine.

I already drink only water at work, and I usually have a thing of crackers in my drawer but I'm looking for options that have more to them than just carbs. I'm thinking stuff like:

Baby Carrots

The only thing is - I'd prefer to have a few options incase I forget my fruit/veggies. Anyone have preferences on prepackaged fruit cups (in 100% Juice) or other healthier snacks for at work/on the go?

I generally get the Dole 100% juice tropical fruit cup. It is my favorite and I like the fruit variety in that cup, they also sell canned fruit with pop tops that are in 100% juice and I will get those as well and split it with my son for the day (ill pack it in his lunch) or I will just have a container on hand and save the other half for later or the next day. I actually have a jar of peaut butter in my desk drawer that I will have on occasion and it works great if I bring celery because I know I already have the peanut butter :smile: . I also keep instant oatmeal packets in my desk because it is filling and easy to make at work. I buy the quaker 25% less sugar granola bars becuase it is a good tie over for an hour if I get hungry right before lunch and its only 100 calories so I dont feel so guilty. I know they arent the healthiest, but they dont have aspartame and have real sugar, which is what I am focusing on for my snacks,just making sure they are wholesome. But I always have apples and oranges at my desk too. Plus wheat thins and triscuits are always a good option, or pretzels :happy:
  • RBXChas
    Options

Baby Carrots

I don't refrigerate my peanut butter (I use Peter Pan, which says it's ok not to be refrigerated after opening http://www.peterpanpb.com/frequently-asked-questions.jsp#faq12), so you could save money and have a full jar. Otherwise, you could get those little apple sauce cups. You'd have to refrigerate a jar, but the cups are shelf-stable without being refrigerated, and they're single servings. Be careful that your carrots don't get moldy (moisture + darkness in a desk drawer)! Bananas would ripen nicely on your desk.

As for granola bars, it's hard to find ones that aren't sugar-laden. I try to go for Kashi, since they tend to have less sugar and more fiber than other brands. My mom was having issues "going," so I suggested Fiber One bars, which she stocked up on. This past weekend she gave me a couple of boxes back and said they gave her stomach cramps. I had one recently, which made me gassy, but it also made me go... so if you are getting backed up having a few of those on hand may be helpful! (Sorry for TMI!)

Do you have an office fridge and, if so, would people respect your stuff? I am the boss, so I kind of have an advantage there, but there are so few of us that there's little anonymity with regard to what's in the fridge --> no pilfering of others' food. I bring a little bit of groceries in from time to time. Perhaps because you are pregnant, people would be less likely to steal your stuff.

If not, it may well be worth trolling craigslist for a mini fridge, if your employer will allow it. My husband had one in his old, old office (the communal kitchen was very far away in his office building) that we bought from a college student who was moving. It was clean and ~$50.

ETA that if you have Kroger by you (I had it when I lived in Michigan and Georgia - their range is pretty wide), they have no sugar added apple sauce cups in both regular and cinnamon. No store by me has no sugar added cinnamon apple sauce cups, unless I want to pay more $ for Mott's :frown: