Low Carb Muffin in a Minute!

Options

Replies

• SueM86
    SueM86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I tried these for the first time yesterday - I tried the chocolate one as per the recipe in the original post but I think I overcooked it and didn't put enough splenda in (I only have granulated not liquid) and so whilst it was ok it wasn't great. (I still ate it!)

This morning I tried a version with ground almonds and sour cream and it was absolutely delicious!

If you're interested here's the recipe I used.

Muffin:-
    2 tbsp ground almonds (almond meal?)
    2tbsp ground flax
    2 tbsp granulated splenda
    1 tbsp organic cocoa powder (Green & Blacks)
    a pinch of salt
    1 tsp of melted butter (I used Kerrygold)
    1 large free range egg
    1 heaped tsp sour cream
    1 tsp vanilla extract (high quality madagasgan not essence)

Frosting :-
    1 tbsp double(heavy) cream
    2 tsp cocoa powder
    1 heaped tsp full fat philadelphia
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp granulated splenda

I microwaved the muffin for about 70 or so seconds (at 900w) and then sliced it and ate it spread with the chocolate cream cheese frosting. Yum yum!

The muffin came out at 332 cals, 5g carbs, 27g fat, 18g protein and 6g fiber
    The frosting came out at 106 cals, 3g carbs, 10g fat, 1g protein and 1g fiber

I input the recipes to MFP and these numbers came out - I'm based in the UK and so I'm not sure how the carbs/fiber offset works compared to the US but I'm counting the carbs number as my actual carbs because if you subracted the fiber from the carbs in the muffin you'd end up with minus 1g of carbs which can't be right can it? If anyone knows for sure how MFP works in that respect then shout - I understand that our UK food labels are different to US ones but can't figure out if MFP has already adjusted for that in my settings as I'm UK based.

Thanks everyone for posting in this forum - I know that my body doesn't handle carbs well and it's refreshing to find people who've actually read the new research on high fat, low carb diets not being the enemy as we once thought - it's exhausting trying to justify myself all the time to the uninitiated! Now I just don't get involved mostly - I let people say what they want and just quietly think to myself "I know my body best! I'm doing what works for me". I only joined MFP and re-started my low carb regime on Monday but I've already seen a drop on the scales although I'm not tracking it on here until I've done a full week. Hooray!
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It all depends on if the product you use on MFP has been input using UK or US labels. That's why when I add vegetables I always use Tesco cauliflower, for example, as I know the fibre/carb details are UK.
  • SueM86
    SueM86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It all depends on if the product you use on MFP has been input using UK or US labels. That's why when I add vegetables I always use Tesco cauliflower, for example, as I know the fibre/carb details are UK.

Thanks. So I guess that if I scan my product labels where possible and choose UK supermarket choices for generic items then my carbs should be showing as net carbs already - I figure that's the safest thing to do rather than me taking fibre off my figures and running the risk of inadvertently eating too many carbs.

I've had another chocolate muffin for breakfast today and my energy levels are through the roof! Thinking of mixing up some portions to take snowboarding with me as they seem the perfect breakfast to set me up for a day on the slopes - much better than the French croissants and nutella that I normally crave! Will give it a try and report back.
  • Mrswrp
    Mrswrp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello

I'm going to dedicate this thread to low carb 'MIM's, which for those of you who are unfamiliar with the MIM, these are low carb flax meal muffins, which cook in the microwave in a mere 65 seconds!

Here is the recipe and the method for the original muffin recipe:

Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal (8.09 total carbs, 7.6 fiber) which is 3 grams in weight
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder (0.64 net carbs)
    1 packet splenda packet (0.9 net carbs)
    1 teaspoon cinnamon (1.84 total carbs, 1.2 fiber)
    1 large egg (0.6 net carbs)
    1 teaspoon butter

(total carbs is 12.07, fiber is 8.8; net carbs is 3.27)

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute. Try one of the following toppings:

Butter
    Cream cheese
    Almond butter
    Sugar free Jam

Savoury Version:

1/4 cup flax meal
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    Pinch of salt & black pepper
    Herb/spices of choice*
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon butter

* Any dried herbs, I like rosemary or sage. You could also add whichever spices you like, so you have a savoury bread to compliment your meal- like adding chilli flakes to go with low carb chilli.

Chocolate Muffin:

1/4 cup flax meal
    1 packet splenda
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon butter

(5 net carbs)

Try serving the chocolate muffin:

-With whipped or runny heavy cream
    - With a sugar free pouring syrup (fudge, vanilla, chocolate).
    - Topped with chocolate cream cheese frosting (Made by combining cream cheese, 1 tsp splenda and 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder)

Lemon Poppy Seed MIM:

1/4 cup flax meal
    1 packet splenda
    1 tsp Lemon extract
    1/4 tsp poppy seeds
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon butter

4 net carbs,

Try with:

-Whipped or runny heavy cream.
    - Sugar free lemon syrup.
    - Low carb Lemon curd: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/lemon_curd.html
    - Cream cheese & lemon frosting: Mix cream cheese with splenda (1 tsp) and lemon extract.

Mocha (coffee chocolate) MIM:

1/4 cup flax meal
    1 packet splenda
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp ground instant coffee
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon butter

(5 net carbs)

Coconut MIM

1/4 cup flax meal
    1 packet splenda
    1 large egg
    1 tbsp unsweetened coconut
    1 tbsp coconut oil

6g net carbs

MIM recipe & method for sliced bread:

1) Make up the MIM basic mixture without sweetener or spices.

2) Add your desired herbs/spices.

3) Then take a square or rectangular lid from a tupperware-type microwaveable safe dish.

3) Spread half of the MIM mixture on the top of the lid, and microwave as usual, for 60 seconds. When it is cooked turn the lid upside down and just 'pop' the 'slice of bread' onto your worktop or a plate. Repeat this process, letting the second slice cool.

Use your MIM bread as you would with regular bread, you can toast it, or make grilled cheese, or make mini pizzas, or sandwiches.

Feel free to add your own MIM recipes below.
  • gemini2267
    gemini2267 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    must save this
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I made these this morning:
    1 8oz pkg cream cheese
    1 egg
    1/4 cup splenda
    splash of vanilla

Preheat oven to 400. Soften cream cheese. Mix all ingredients until smooth. Fill 6 muffin tins. Bake 20 minutes. Just ate one warm and loved it!
    BUMP
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    BUMP
    I tried these for the first time yesterday - I tried the chocolate one as per the recipe in the original post but I think I overcooked it and didn't put enough splenda in (I only have granulated not liquid) and so whilst it was ok it wasn't great. (I still ate it!)

This morning I tried a version with ground almonds and sour cream and it was absolutely delicious!

2tbsp ground flax
    a pinch of salt
    1 large free range egg
    1 heaped tsp sour cream

2 tsp cocoa powder
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp granulated splenda

I microwaved the muffin for about 70 or so seconds (at 900w) and then sliced it and ate it spread with the chocolate cream cheese frosting. Yum yum!

I input the recipes to MFP and these numbers came out - I'm based in the UK and so I'm not sure how the carbs/fiber offset works compared to the US but I'm counting the carbs number as my actual carbs because if you subracted the fiber from the carbs in the muffin you'd end up with minus 1g of carbs which can't be right can it? If anyone knows for sure how MFP works in that respect then shout - I understand that our UK food labels are different to US ones but can't figure out if MFP has already adjusted for that in my settings as I'm UK based.

Thanks everyone for posting in this forum - I know that my body doesn't handle carbs well and it's refreshing to find people who've actually read the new research on high fat, low carb diets not being the enemy as we once thought - it's exhausting trying to justify myself all the time to the uninitiated! Now I just don't get involved mostly - I let people say what they want and just quietly think to myself "I know my body best! I'm doing what works for me". I only joined MFP and re-started my low carb regime on Monday but I've already seen a drop on the scales although I'm not tracking it on here until I've done a full week. Hooray!
  • malyndad
    malyndad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful! I am just learning how to live low carb. I am T2 and have been using the low GI/GL index which kept my levels steady but too high.
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    I experimented with MIM yesterday and come up with something that I thought was fantastic. I combined 2 recipes...the original MIM on this thread with Low Carb Danish http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/mock_danish.html. I did tweak both a bit.

Make the MIM as directed BUT omit the butter.

For the cream cheese portion I tweaked it as below:
    2 ounces cream cheese
    2 teaspoons granulated Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

I softened the cream cheese first and then added the splenda and vanilla until blended.

Pour MIM into microwaveable dish. Then, add the cream cheese mixture and fold into the MIM. I didn't mix it completely, gently folded so it swirled through. I had to microwave mine about 70 seconds.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for sharing!
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options

2tbsp ground flax
    a pinch of salt
    1 large free range egg
    1 heaped tsp sour cream

2 tsp cocoa powder
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp granulated splenda

BUMP!
    This looks really good, can't wait to try it, thanks!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    FINALLY got around to trying MIMs! Wasn't real impressed with the appearance or the very first bite, but it quickly grew on me andd by the end, I was wishing I'd made 2. Can't wait to try other variations now, especially a savory one!
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I tried to read through ALL of these pages searching for my answer, but ultimately gave up. Just made the original one today, and it was amazing.

Question: Has anyone tried these with only the egg white?
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I tried to read through ALL of these pages searching for my answer, but ultimately gave up. Just made the original one today, and it was amazing.

Why?
  • choconuts
    Options

Why?

Because my doc has me watching cholesterol, and I'm already eating two whole eggs a day.
  • BlessedWith3
    Options

Yes, and it is fine. You may want to use 2 egg whites.
  • choconuts
    Options

Yes, and it is fine. You may want to use 2 egg whites.

Thank you! :-) I'll try it tomorrow. I have my macros set at 65% protein, 30% fat, and 5% carb--plus watching cholesterol, so I was hoping it might be a success.
  • malyndad
    malyndad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just made my first MIM it tastes just like the brown bread we had when I was a little girl, Yummy! My question is: the only thing I could find at my local store was LSA meal, is this an acceptable substitute? Will it skew my nutrition readings?
  • Thyme4change
    Thyme4change Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bump..thanks!
  • Thyme4change
    Thyme4change Posts: 46 Member
    Options

2tbsp ground flax
    a pinch of salt
    1 large free range egg
    1 heaped tsp sour cream

2 tsp cocoa powder
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp granulated splenda

BUMP!
    This looks really good, can't wait to try it, thanks!

Bump :)