Getting Started

Options

Replies

• daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips! I read the book and started Stage 1 this morning. I am really excited.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips! I read the book and started Stage 1 this morning. I am really excited.

Congrats! Have fun!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Welcome and good luck! I'm halfway through Stage 2 and I love it!
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm so inspired by you gals who lift & lift heavy. I bought NROLFW end of last year and I'm getting through the reading now. While I wait to get to the program's I've got my hubby's dumbbells out the garage as they're heavier than mine and I'm just doing a few reps of basic exercises daily. Really looking forward to getting through the book & hopefully following program.

Love hearing everyone's progress & achievements. Thank you & keep up the great effort guys :-)
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Ebook today and going to start reading it this afternoon .Anyone know if there is a app or a program you can use on an Ipad4 to track everything that way i only have to take that to the gym and not the phone the ipad and a note pad LOL
  • Artillerybabe
    Artillerybabe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this would help anyone but it is helping me. I just started Stage 1 this week (loving it so far) and I was having trouble remembering proper form for each exercise. So, I created a spreadsheet (really i just added to someone else's). It has the workouts on one side and I took sample pics of all of the workouts (Stage 1 Workout A & B) with descriptions and printed them on the other side.

I can send anyone the spreadsheet if you would like it. It has helped me when I don't remember proper form or what the exercise i just look on the back of my workout log and it's all there.

YES PLLLLLLEASE I am starting next week this would be greatly appreciated... email edited for privacy... thanking you for sharing ;)
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this would help anyone but it is helping me. I just started Stage 1 this week (loving it so far) and I was having trouble remembering proper form for each exercise. So, I created a spreadsheet (really i just added to someone else's). It has the workouts on one side and I took sample pics of all of the workouts (Stage 1 Workout A & B) with descriptions and printed them on the other side.

I can send anyone the spreadsheet if you would like it. It has helped me when I don't remember proper form or what the exercise i just look on the back of my workout log and it's all there.

YES PLLLLLLEASE I am starting next week this would be greatly appreciated... email edited for privacy... thanking you for sharing ;)
    I would like it to PLEASE
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    me too please
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Have had the book for a few months and really wanted to start lifting. FINALLY got a gym membership and spent some time in the weight room last week playing around with the first workout and trying to get comfortable in amongst all the guys. After reading the book, experimenting last week, and watching numerous videos...I brought my A game today! I can tell I'm going to love lifting! Already a little sore but feel great!!!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    jonesin, smuts, bev, artillery, geordie, dali - welcome!
  • garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I am new to MFP. I keep hearing about this book and would like to get it.

Here's my question. Do you recommend the kindle version or the regular book? I am going away on vacation Sat. and could download it to read... however... I usually like to bookmark things to go back to. I know I can do that on Kindle, but just wondering if anyone has the Kindle version your thoughts.

If I would have thought about it sooner, I would have just purchased the book on Amazon but there's not enough time for it to get here.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    hi Garnet - that question was asked a while back and I would have to say that the votes came down on the side of the paper book, but not by a wide margin. You will want to print off excel worksheets for the workouts anyway. If you are a big e-book person, it will probably work just fine.
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I bought the paper book after debating the same thing, and am not sure I really needed it. I still take the book with me to the gym, so for that reason, I like the book over the Kindle (wouldn't want anything to happen to my iPad). But, I flip back and forth a billion times and even with dog-eared pages, I think it would be MUCH easier to flip through the Kindle version if you use bookmarks. It would be nice to have access to the book no matter where I am -- on my phone, computer, iPad, etc.

I like having the paper book, but I don't think it has much of an advantage over the Kindle version, for ME. Really it's just the gym thing.
  • Daresie
    Daresie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Looking for input on the correct way to do the barbell squat. On p 158 of the book, the 2nd picture shows the gal down to thighs parallel to the floor. On several youtube videos, proper form is shown as going way further - nearly touching the floor. It seems that would put a lot of stress on the hips/knees, of which I need to be careful anyway.

Appreciate any input on proper form to get the most benefit from this particular exercise!
  • twinsmom7602
    twinsmom7602 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies! I just ordered the book on my Nook. I would really like the spreadsheets though, seeing how I can't print from the Nook.

My e-mail is email edited for privacy

A little about me, my name is Jessica. I am 36, I am married and have twin sons who will be 11 in July. My son Caleb has Cerebral Palsy, and he is my inspiration behind this new journey, as he is not getting any lighter. :) I live in Florida and am a Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten Administrator for 16 classes through out our county, so I am sitting a majority of my day while traveling. I am ready to build some muscle!!!!

I recently lost 11 lbs and and am my goal weight of 116. I am 5'6.

Thanks for all the wonderful tips, I am going to start at the beginning of this thread tomorrow.

:)
  • pinelakecutie
    pinelakecutie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I just started today and thought I would share some of my mistakes and misadventures.

1) I completely forgot that I was supposed to rotate between my push-ups and rows. So I did both sets of push-ups one behind the other and the same with the rows. Off to a bad start.

2) The prone jackknife. Well, I never did get along with these Swiss/balance ball things. Today was no different--at least during the first set when I lost count of my reps because I was too busy trying to stay on top of the ball. I rolled off twice. I rolled forward into a wall the first time (managed to get my elbow down before I hit my head). And I almost killed my Nook the second time because I couldn't move it out of the way fast enough when I rolled sideways.

I tried to stabilize the ball between two steps. No good. Finally, I realized that I need to wear shorts when I do this exercise so that my skin makes contact with the rubber and holds me in place. So I rolled up my pants and revealed my scarily hairy legs, which I've shaved maybe twice since December. Luckily, I was in my office gym at 5:00 p.m. It was completely dead, but I was praying the cleaning crew wouldn't show up.

3) After figuring out how to keep my shins on top of the Swiss -balance-ball-of-death, I proceeded to do MORE reps than necessary. I was very unhappy when I realized this. The number "15" was stuck in my head from the previous exercises, so that's what I did.

4) I didn't eat half of the 131g of protein I was supposed to get today. I can't figure out how the heck I'm going to eat all of that each day I lift. But from what I've read, it should get easier over time as my appetite increases, and I start to develop a routine.

5) I tried my best to rest for 60 seconds between sets, but I kept losing count because my mind was racing (Was the weight I used on that last exercise heavy enough? Was my form right? How come I'm not more tired? Will I really feel it tomorrow?). I might try using the timer on my phone next time.

I think that's it. I hope this makes another newbie feel more comfortable about getting started. I hope it's entertaining if nothing else. I definitely enjoyed putting it all down in a post and laughing at myself.

Happy lifting!:flowerforyou:
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Finally plucked up the courage to walk into the gym with my printed workout spreadsheet, plus photocopies of the moves for STage 1, put them in front of the poor unsuspecting trainee instructor who was expecting to design a workout for me and say 'this is what I want you to show me'.

I am about to do the same thing - only my instructor is not unsuspecting because I've contacted him and told him exactly what I want to learn. I cannot 'understand' the exercises from the explanation and pictures - I need someone to show me - that's his job! He knows that already and I am going to copy the pages from a library book since I only own the Kindle version.
  • mssgeni
    mssgeni Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't want to start a new thread because the question is pretty stupid, but I need to know somehow... :blushing:

I bought this book about 3 years ago when I first got interested in weight lifting. Then I moved out of my parent's house and didn't bring the book with me... and now that I want to get back on it nobody can find that book. I don't want to shell out extra money to buy the book because I know it's in there SOMEWHERE but at the same time I need it :[

Do you guys think that downloading a digital book for my nook will be just as effective? The nook is pretty small :[ (the nook is an ereader, like the kindle)

EDIT: Derp, I didn't read the top of this page. twinsmom7602, how do you like the nook? Is it just the spreadsheets that give you a problem because you can't print it out?
  • thepinkpacker
    thepinkpacker Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Brought the book on my kobo...love it. I have been weightlifting for about 8 months...with a trainer for the past two...but I am going to start this program and see if it helps. I am a 155 lbs, 5'6" and wanna get to 130lbs...I am already muscular but I wanna take off the extra fat.
  • BrittanyGQ
    BrittanyGQ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't want to start a new thread because the question is pretty stupid, but I need to know somehow... :blushing:

I bought this book about 3 years ago when I first got interested in weight lifting. Then I moved out of my parent's house and didn't bring the book with me... and now that I want to get back on it nobody can find that book. I don't want to shell out extra money to buy the book because I know it's in there SOMEWHERE but at the same time I need it :[

Do you guys think that downloading a digital book for my nook will be just as effective? The nook is pretty small :[ (the nook is an ereader, like the kindle)

EDIT: Derp, I didn't read the top of this page. twinsmom7602, how do you like the nook? Is it just the spreadsheets that give you a problem because you can't print it out?

I have it on my Nook, too, and I was able to put it on my iPhone as well, so I always have it conveniently on me! The Nook version is definitely convenient, but the thing I don't like is having to flip through pages upon pages trying to figure out what I need!! Definitely bookmark and highlight all the pages you think you'll have to refer to later! Like for chapter 10, I bookmarked the different stages, then for chapter 11, I highlighted the name of each exercise so I can quickly flip to that page. A bit more work than the paper version, but convenient to have. Also, you can download the training log from the website www.newrulesoflifting.com =)