Daily Check In Thread

Replies

• kwaldr0p
    kwaldr0p Posts: 27 Member
    Finished w2d1 tonight and it isn't bad but my endurance is basically non-existent! I start out awesome then when I get to about the half way point I am just dragging!

I cant wait to notice it building up!
  • misskym
    misskym Posts: 52 Member
    I did W4D1 today. I managed a 14:08 mile, which was down from last week. I started out fine, but I struggled during the last 5 minute run. I wanted to stop so many times, I just felt exhausted. I even ran slower than I walked, but it was still difficult. I think what threw me off was the first running segment. It was 3 minutes, but for some reason I thought it was 5 minutes because I didn't look at the time. At the end of that first part, I was like "Oh, that wasn't bad at all!" But then I had to run the real 5 minutes and it felt long!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Ghlt4, misskym and kwaldr0p - you need to slow down some more.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    So happy and so mad. Happy I made it through day 1 of week 2 and did all the running, even though I was winded after the first couple of times. Amazingly, it got easier as the session progressed. I even threw in a couple of short jogs during cool down, since I stayed out 45 mins.

Mad because my step tracker didn't record my workout. My iPod Touch doesn't have GPS so I use my phone for that. I know I turned it on, but when I got home, nada. I have no idea how far or fast I went, so I'll try to duplicate this session on Thurs.
  • Veslus
    Veslus Posts: 72 Member
    Woke up this morning not feeling too great...but thought I'd give it a try anyway.

Today was Week 6 Day 2. I made it through the first ten minute run session fine, the 3 minute walk fine...but when I hit that second ten minute run, about 5 minutes in my body told me that if I didn't start walking immediately I was going to throw up. So I walked the last ten minutes.

Oh well, I'll just repeat it on Thursday.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Just starting out today - Week 1, Day 1. I have no idea what to aim for, I just wanted to get through it and I did. (And it wasn't so bad - I know I can do it again on Thursday!)
  • misskym
    Ghlt4, misskym and kwaldr0p - you need to slow down some more.

I *feel* like I slow down during my run segments, but I guess you always feel a lot slower than you are. I think the end segment exhaustion stems from a few things: not slowing down enough, running up a slight hill, and having to speed up at crosswalks (especially going up hill). I was running up the hill, which isn't steep by any means, but it surely isn't flat, and I had to speed up when I crossed the road because a car was waiting to turn. The spurt was hard, and I think it made the rest of the segment harder.
  • kwaldr0p
    kwaldr0p Posts: 27 Member
    I have to agree because I feel like I am running very slowly!
  • likitisplit
    Woke up this morning not feeling too great...but thought I'd give it a try anyway.

Today was Week 6 Day 2. I made it through the first ten minute run session fine, the 3 minute walk fine...but when I hit that second ten minute run, about 5 minutes in my body told me that if I didn't start walking immediately I was going to throw up. So I walked the last ten minutes.

Oh well, I'll just repeat it on Thursday.

And slow down.
  • likitisplit
    Just starting out today - Week 1, Day 1. I have no idea what to aim for, I just wanted to get through it and I did. (And it wasn't so bad - I know I can do it again on Thursday!)

Just getting through it is the absolute best goal you can aim for. Do that every other day and you'll be able to run for 30 minutes in 9 weeks.

And congratulations on starting. That's the biggest running milestone you'll encounter.
  • likitisplit
    I *feel* like I slow down during my run segments, but I guess you always feel a lot slower than you are. I think the end segment exhaustion stems from a few things: not slowing down enough, running up a slight hill, and having to speed up at crosswalks (especially going up hill). I was running up the hill, which isn't steep by any means, but it surely isn't flat, and I had to speed up when I crossed the road because a car was waiting to turn. The spurt was hard, and I think it made the rest of the segment harder.

Putting in a spurt can drain you really quickly, I agree. It can make the entire run harder. I did about half of the program running up and down hills because that's where I live. I also ran at about a 2 mile an hour pace (or less) until after week 5. Then I sped up a whole lot without even trying.

Trust me that you can slow down some more when you need to. Feeling exhausted or like you have to quit or needing to walk or a vicious need to drink water are all indications that you need to slow down.
  • misskym
    I also ran at about a 2 mile an hour pace (or less) until after week 5. Then I sped up a whole lot without even trying.

I will have to slow down more, then. I averaged 4.2 miles per hour this morning. It's a lot easier to think I'm slowing down than actually slowing down!
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Week 1, Day 1 done!

I really enjoyed being outside and the programme was very doable today but I found it really hard to slow down and kept having to remind myself.

I also got a bit of shin pain and slightly numb feet and toes towards the end. I'm now having a little bit of tingling in my lower legs. It is my first time out in my new running shoes (fitted for a hefty over-pronation) so perhaps it might be that?

I hope I'm not crippled tomorrow (!) and can't wait for Thursday to do day 2.
  • likitisplit
    I will have to slow down more, then. I averaged 4.2 miles per hour this morning. It's a lot easier to think I'm slowing down than actually slowing down!

4.2 isn't bad. Just know that you have room to scale back if you need to.
  • likitisplit
    Week 1, Day 1 done!

I really enjoyed being outside and the programme was very doable today but I found it really hard to slow down and kept having to remind myself.

I also got a bit of shin pain and slightly numb feet and toes towards the end. I'm now having a little bit of tingling in my lower legs. It is my first time out in my new running shoes (fitted for a hefty over-pronation) so perhaps it might be that?

Well, you got fitted, so I'm not going to suggest that (though I had to return one pair because of problems). I would concentrated on short, quick strides to help with the shin pain. The numb toes are an issue that I face and that I need to get checked out but I don't think they are going to cause injury.
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    To all the slow runners, I feel your pain. I too, run quit slow. It seems though, that if I keep my heart rate around 160-165 I can go for much longer. My body realizes that the thresh hold of pain is not increasing nor is the overwhelming fatigue. But it's still slow. Gonna keep at it though!
  • bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Gulp! Tomorrow is week 5day3. TWENTY MINUTES!!!! Sounds impossible to me, but will give it my best shot. Wish me luck.
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Week 1, Day 1 done!

Well, you got fitted, so I'm not going to suggest that (though I had to return one pair because of problems). I would concentrated on short, quick strides to help with the shin pain. The numb toes are an issue that I face and that I need to get checked out but I don't think they are going to cause injury.

Thanks. I definitely do need to keep my strides shorter. I seem to want to leap like a gazelle with every step!

I'll see how day 2 goes and check back in then.
  • likitisplit
    To all the slow runners, I feel your pain. I too, run quit slow. It seems though, that if I keep my heart rate around 160-165 I can go for much longer. My body realizes that the thresh hold of pain is not increasing nor is the overwhelming fatigue. But it's still slow. Gonna keep at it though!

What week are you on now, Randy? You have to be past week 5, no?
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Hi Vardaeml, Yup week 5. Considering stepping back a week as I was down and out due to illness the last week and wasn't able to run so didn't finish week 5. Starting to feel like myself again today. Still super sapped for energy and tired. So maybe a walk this evening and a bit more rest.