Getting Started

Options

Replies

• collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    hi, I am new to new rules and would like to have some friends also, I am coming from a background of sl 5x5 (have been doing it since feb 1st and my 12 weeks are almost up ) add me, I am a newbie and will need buddies!
  • BrandiBoo84
    BrandiBoo84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips! Starting today!!!!
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi-

Just started today (just joined group - added intro in that section) and the first thing I noticed is that if I am doing it right (did Workout A, Workout 1), which I think I am (read the book, poured over forums, etc.), is that its a very short workout. Does anybody do both workouts A and B or do more reps of either? If not, any reason why one shouldn't? Thanks!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I didn't add any extra reps and definitely didn't do A & B on the same day. They took me about 40 minutes to start. And I always use a timer!

I'm just starting Stage 6. And I have my book on my tablet and my phone and my pc. The only thing I don't like is that I cannot print and I think that's the whole book, BUT I have a great place to get individual logs (www.werkit.com) - all you have to do is register, no spam or anything from the site. I also have a great spreadsheet if anyone wants it. It's got macros built into it to calculate the suggested calories and has a tab for each of the workouts as well.
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes, it takes me about 35 - 40 minutes, but its only 5 exercises, 2 reps each - does not seem like enough but I guess I'll find out!
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Yes, it takes me about 35 - 40 minutes, but its only 5 exercises, 2 reps each - does not seem like enough but I guess I'll find out!

This is my concern, too. I guess the point is to do a few reps with heavy weights. I'm just starting out too, so we'll see! :)
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am brand spanking new lol and a little terrified I don't mind telling you. I am obese (but getting smaller daily) and wish to start Stage 1 next week after I have read the entire book. Am I going to be able to do the required work? Should I be waiting to start until I'm down below 300 lbs?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, and anyone who wants to be friends, please add me.

What do you think?
  • pearlmullet
    pearlmullet Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just joining. I did my first workout on Saturday, was so grateful that the weights area at Y was all but deserted. Fumbled around with my book and my werkit sheet and felt silly, but also awesome. Still sore today, but ready to go try Workout B.

Should it be totally obvious where the 'Olympic Bar' is? Anyone care to share their starting weight for deadlifts? I'm pretty strong to begin with but also prone to pushing myself too hard. :)
    I didn't add any extra reps and definitely didn't do A & B on the same day. They took me about 40 minutes to start. And I always use a timer!

I'm just starting Stage 6. And I have my book on my tablet and my phone and my pc. The only thing I don't like is that I cannot print and I think that's the whole book, BUT I have a great place to get individual logs (www.werkit.com) - all you have to do is register, no spam or anything from the site. I also have a great spreadsheet if anyone wants it. It's got macros built into it to calculate the suggested calories and has a tab for each of the workouts as well.

I would love this, if you'd like to share!
  • laurie41565
    laurie41565 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple spreadsheets that might help with logging as well as calorie requirements.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8OgAuIMlsG-TDRKd192c1A1Mkk

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8OgAuIMlsG-bUNJVGJJaXhvVFE

I did the first one and it said for weight loss for no workout 1272 cals and for workout 1534. That seems so low to me. Right now I have my cals set to 1763 and I don't eat exercise cals. I don't see how I would have energy at 1534 when I'm lifting. Is this accurate? I'm 48, 5' 3" and 158 lbs and I'm looking to lose fat.
  • pearlmullet
    pearlmullet Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That is so, so helpful.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I joined the group because I want to know more about this. I was seeing random posts through the forum about Nrol4W and as with so much of the lingo here, I had no idea what that meant. So I looked it up and found it on amazon. I haven't purchased it yet as I am flat broke but wanted to do some research in the mean time. I will be looking into the posts here. Hopefully this will work for me as I really want a strong, fit, toned body.
  • kereil
    kereil Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    HI everyone! I wanted to ask a few questions for you guys that have been doing this for awhile. Can you successfully do this at home? I'm currently doing Chalean Extreme and am finishing it up soon and am looking for a new workout plan. I lift M, W, F and run on T, Th, Sat. I do have a set of adjustable weights up to 50lbs and I'm pretty sure I have an exercise ball in a closet somewhere. Was wondering about the bar though - is that a necessity or is there a work around for that?

I'm not a gym member and can't really fit it into my budget and daily commute - and I get up at 4am to work out every day so I'd like to continue that at home if possible. Thanks for any tips ahead of time! I just bought the book and am going to download it on my iPad and get started reading tonight. Thanks again!
  • tiffany484
    tiffany484 Posts: 17
    Options
    Sorry if this has been covered before but I don't have time to read 12 pages of posts...

Anyhooo I started today workout A1 - and it took like 20 minutes. Is that right? 3 workouts a week for 20 minutes and that's it? I feel like I'm missing something. After today I realize I need to up my weight with squats (I was afraid to do too high a weight on my one sketchy knee). Also, I'm pretty much the girl described in the book - 5'4", 140lbs, 30 yrs old (give or take a pound or 2 and a year) and 2000 calories??? Really??? Sorry if I'm skeptical, but 60 minutes of training and increasing my calories by over 3500/wk (after just recently increasing them by 2000/wk) is going to help me lose fat? This seems counterproductive. If you've done this and it worked please share!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this has been covered before but I don't have time to read 12 pages of posts...

Anyhooo I started today workout A1 - and it took like 20 minutes. Is that right? 3 workouts a week for 20 minutes and that's it? I feel like I'm missing something. After today I realize I need to up my weight with squats (I was afraid to do too high a weight on my one sketchy knee). Also, I'm pretty much the girl described in the book - 5'4", 140lbs, 30 yrs old (give or take a pound or 2 and a year) and 2000 calories??? Really??? Sorry if I'm skeptical, but 60 minutes of training and increasing my calories by over 3500/wk (after just recently increasing them by 2000/wk) is going to help me lose fat? This seems counterproductive. If you've done this and it worked please share!

That's only for the first 4 (I think) workouts. Then you move to have 3 sets instead of 2. The Stage 1 3 set workouts take me about 40 minutes. I wear a HRM and I burn as many calories as I do with a Month 1 Insanity video (did Insanity twice). Stage 2 workouts can bump into the 70 minute range!

BUT, I try to do my lifts on opposite sides of the gym which means during rests, I'm walking -- not sitting or standing. If you want a longer workout, add some HIIT for 15 minutes on the end of each.

As for the diet, I'm 5'11 and don't eat 2000 calories a day. If you're wanting to lose weight...you'll have to play around and see what works for you but I did this program last year and people that start it drop like flies because it's a hard program to do and lose.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    HI everyone! I wanted to ask a few questions for you guys that have been doing this for awhile. Can you successfully do this at home? I'm currently doing Chalean Extreme and am finishing it up soon and am looking for a new workout plan. I lift M, W, F and run on T, Th, Sat. I do have a set of adjustable weights up to 50lbs and I'm pretty sure I have an exercise ball in a closet somewhere. Was wondering about the bar though - is that a necessity or is there a work around for that?

I'm not a gym member and can't really fit it into my budget and daily commute - and I get up at 4am to work out every day so I'd like to continue that at home if possible. Thanks for any tips ahead of time! I just bought the book and am going to download it on my iPad and get started reading tonight. Thanks again!

You **can** workout at home but it's a hard program to do at the house if you're not fully set up like a gym. When you squat at home without a squat rack, you have to pull the weight up and over your head -- if you're doing that, you're more than likely cheating yourself on the actual squat weight. I can squat about 125lbs currently and could never get that over my head.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    Hi, all. I'm reading my husband's NRoWL, so I don't know how different it is from NRoL4W, but one thing the author talks about in NRoWL is that doing cardio on non-strength days can actually interfere with strength gains. The way he explained it, your body will have to choose between strength and endurance and will likely choose endurance. However, he says that if you do strength and cardio *on the same day*, this won't happen.

I do try to toss in some cardio post training sessions (usually a fast 1 mile jog), but I don't have much time to spend on it after already spending 45 minutes to an hour on strength. So I've also been doing cardio on off days, ~1 hour of fast walking and some HIIT. I enjoy it, and I didn't feel like it was causing any issues, but now I wonder.

Do any of you have feedback on this? Maybe even have tested the theory? What is your usual weekly routine, if you don't mind sharing, in terms of how often you strength train and when/if you do other forms of exercise? Is this really only a concern if you're going for high/competition level strength?
  • kereil
    kereil Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You **can** workout at home but it's a hard program to do at the house if you're not fully set up like a gym. When you squat at home without a squat rack, you have to pull the weight up and over your head -- if you're doing that, you're more than likely cheating yourself on the actual squat weight. I can squat about 125lbs currently and could never get that over my head.

Thanks! I appreciate the answer! I hope at some point I can get to a gym but for now it's just not in the cards. I think I want to try Crossfit at some point too instead of the traditional kind of gym.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on starting with stage 1 next week after I finish reading through once. Anyway I'm just not really sure what weights to use starting out. I'm guessing for the squats I just use the bar, but what about the rows and step-ups? I feel like I'm just going to be staring at the weights for half an hour without an idea of what I should be doing and then my lunch hour will be over and I'll have to leave.

What are good starting weights for a reasonably healthy, average sized person?
  • jerzydevil007
    jerzydevil007 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i just got the book on my kindle and I'm confused.....so i do workout a and workout be for the ones that are for wo 1....I do that 3 days a week and then go on to wo 2 for 3 days a week and then so and so forth?
  • jerzydevil007
    jerzydevil007 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i just got the book on my kindle and I'm confused.....so i do workout a and workout be for the ones that are for wo 1....I do that 3 days a week and then go on to wo 2 for 3 days a week and then so and so forth?