5k Training thoughts

Options

Replies

• janeensan
    janeensan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So on Saturday I participated in my first 5k event. It was the Easter Seals Walk With Me 5K. .... I averaged about 14 min/mi and finished the route in just under 40 minutes. There were only a handful of people who ran the course, so I came in ahead of most everyone. I know the event wasn't a race, but it still felt really great to come in at the head of the pack.

AWESOME!!! Good for yoooouuu!!!! <doing Happy Dance in your honor>
  • janeensan
    Options
    Dragon1ady, those are some sexy shoes!

:bigsmile:
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Dragon1ady, those are some sexy shoes!

:bigsmile:

They ARE sexy! They may be monstrously hideous in color, but after running S1E4 in them just now, my right foot barely hurts at all compared to when I ran at the gym in my old shoes on Sunday. It took me a bit to get used to the new feel of them, but once I did, they felt amazing. The cushioning and arch support together made running easy, and despite not sleeping enough and not drinking enough water, it felt good. I managed to run faster than I have since the tendonitis started getting really bad.

These shoes were totally worth the outrageous price tag, and I am very happy with them. :heart:
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Dragon1ady, awesome shoes! I love them!

Funny, they took you out of NB because of tendinitis and put me in them for the same reason.

IDK if you're interested or not, but here are the 3 videos that virtually solved my problem. I'm healing well and working back up to the 3 miles (run/walk) that I was at before the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcnAXw47nMw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAPyDxcsfq4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUpcFZM-V68

After days of reading (because I certainly couldn't walk very far) the foam roller and rolling pin gave me almost immediate relief!
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I went out and completed my entire routine and THEN some! I work in an office park and we have a 2.65mi "fitness trail" that I stretch to 3 mi (by walking around an extra parking lot) for my regular route. The park road is actually a 4 mile loop with some HUGE hills. Yesterday I completed the entire 4 mile loop and with exception of being over heated (it was like 80*), I felt great. And my foot felt great too! I'm actually in high heels today at the office and my foot is doing well. So I think I'm over the hump where the injury is concerned. I'm looking forward to getting back into ZR!. I'll be starting week 4 tomorrow.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I went out and completed my entire routine and THEN some! I work in an office park and we have a 2.65mi "fitness trail" that I stretch to 3 mi (by walking around an extra parking lot) for my regular route. The park road is actually a 4 mile loop with some HUGE hills. Yesterday I completed the entire 4 mile loop and with exception of being over heated (it was like 80*), I felt great. And my foot felt great too! I'm actually in high heels today at the office and my foot is doing well. So I think I'm over the hump where the injury is concerned. I'm looking forward to getting back into ZR!. I'll be starting week 4 tomorrow.

that is fantastic news especially after the injury. Well done
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options

I had an injury around week 3 and week 4 also, looking back I think maybe it was just an adjustment period to doing something new and intense.

I finished w8w1 today and it was really hard for me. I ended up with 3.15mi and the 20min free form was really tough for me. At points I found myself saying I'm not ready for this, I still weigh too much for this etc. My pants kept falling down so I was holding them up, it started raining on me halfway thorugh the 20min, I was out of breath, calves were hurting etc. But I did it and didn't stop. Every time I felt like I wanted to stop I told myself to just get to the next time she told me how far I had ran so far then I could stop if I wanted. And every time I would say "ehh i made it this far let's keep going" In the end, I did it! So maybe I am ready after all even though it's tough........At a 17min per mile pace, I feel like the slowest runner ever. But I just tell myself at least I'm not walking or sitting on the couch lol
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    bj, thank you for the YouTube links! I'll watch the videos tonight when I'm not at work (they actually expect me to be productive when I'm at the office), and see where they take me. I have a rolling pin, and I've been rolling my foot on a tennis ball off and on to massage and it seems to help.

Maybe I should follow sb's example and actually rest my foot until it has fully recovered. It seems to have worked for her. :)
    I finished w8w1 today and it was really hard for me. I ended up with 3.15mi and the 20min free form was really tough for me. At points I found myself saying I'm not ready for this, I still weigh too much for this etc. My pants kept falling down so I was holding them up, it started raining on me halfway thorugh the 20min, I was out of breath, calves were hurting etc. But I did it and didn't stop. Every time I felt like I wanted to stop I told myself to just get to the next time she told me how far I had ran so far then I could stop if I wanted. And every time I would say "ehh i made it this far let's keep going" In the end, I did it!

I had very similar problems with that exact same workout, for pretty much the same reasons, tired, rain, and so on (except for the pants issue -- drawstring FTW!). It was painful! If i remember right I ended up walking a couple of times for the last free form run, so you are officially tougher than I am. :grumble: :tongue:

The important thing is to keep running. Speed comes naturally, eventually, and until then, as long as you keep moving, that's what matters. :smile:
  • sb4480
    Options
    Week 4W/O1 complete!
  • sb4480
    Options
    Oh and I did the whole thing, I even ran the 15min free form at the end!!!
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options

I had very similar problems with that exact same workout, for pretty much the same reasons, tired, rain, and so on (except for the pants issue -- drawstring FTW!). It was painful! If i remember right I ended up walking a couple of times for the last free form run, so you are officially tougher than I am. :grumble: :tongue:

The important thing is to keep running. Speed comes naturally, eventually, and until then, as long as you keep moving, that's what matters. :smile:

My drawstring came out on these pants and I couldn't get it back in so I'm pretty sure I threw the string away lol. I have such issue with pants fitting right right now =/ But I agree and that is what I keep telling myself, as long as I keep moving I'm progressing. And as long as my pace is faster than 20 minute miles, which it is 16-17 right now, then I'm going faster than 3.0 which is my walking speed. So therefore, I am running faster than I'm walking :D
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    bj, thank you for the YouTube links! I'll watch the videos tonight when I'm not at work (they actually expect me to be productive when I'm at the office), and see where they take me. I have a rolling pin, and I've been rolling my foot on a tennis ball off and on to massage and it seems to help.

Maybe I should follow sb's example and actually rest my foot until it has fully recovered. It seems to have worked for her. :)

You're welcome. It really seems a bit selfish that your boss expects you to work while you're there. haha
    I had to take a week off. The good part of that was, that's how I found that info. ;)

SB, great to hear about your successful run yesterday! You're back in the saddle, whoo hoo!
  • dragon1ady
    Options

Welcome back to active duty, Runner 5.
    My drawstring came out on these pants and I couldn't get it back in so I'm pretty sure I threw the string away lol. I have such issue with pants fitting right right now =/=

Darned weight loss!! :mad:

(I cleaned out my closet last weekend and now have two 33 gallon bags packed with clothes that I need to get rid of. Most of them are pants that were too big.)
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I clawed my way back on track this morning with W7E3. I did W7E2 last Wednesday and ran without the program on Friday, but I hadn't done anything since then and it was hard, Plus it was raining cats and dogs and i was running in the woods, so I got home soaking wet and FREEZING. I also think I was a little dehydrated--I was getting side cramps, which is unusual, and I'm pretty sure it's because I hadn't had enough water before going.

I think I've finally gotten warm, but it took a hot shower and turning the heat up full blast in my car on my commute.

On to Week 8! I'm hoping to get a run in on Friday at a minimum. Once I'm done with school (3 weeks from today!) it will be so much easier to fit in my runs. Right now it's tricky between full time work and school.

Enough excuses. Back on the wagon!
  • lizpirate
    Options

Awesome job, Steph!
  • lizpirate
    Options

My drawstring came out on these pants and I couldn't get it back in so I'm pretty sure I threw the string away lol. I have such issue with pants fitting right right now =/ But I agree and that is what I keep telling myself, as long as I keep moving I'm progressing. And as long as my pace is faster than 20 minute miles, which it is 16-17 right now, then I'm going faster than 3.0 which is my walking speed. So therefore, I am running faster than I'm walking :D

Way to go Chelle! Bummer about the pants, but it's all part of getting fit!

On the subject of pants, has anyone tried full running tights? I run in capris usually but I've been thinking of picking up a pair of full ones for days like today when it's cold and rainy.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    On the subject of pants, has anyone tried full running tights? I run in capris usually but I've been thinking of picking up a pair of full ones for days like today when it's cold and rainy.

I run in long yoga pants or sweat pants, and have been thinking of picking up running shorts for warm days. Since I'm new to running I have practically no running clothes at all, and it's unpleasant to run in long heavy sweatpants when it's mid-80s outside.

ETA:
    My yoga pants are great for running though, and go to the gym with me for lifting workouts as well.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Well thanks to all the encouragement on here I've signed up for my first 5k - a Colour Run in July.

Thought it would be a bit more 'fun' than the Tough Mudder in October. As I'm on week 2 should hopefully finish the training by then.

On another note as the weather is getting warmer I'm running later and so have decided to take my son running with me for safety reasons.
  • janeensan
    Options

WOOT! You GO, girl! good job!
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    Week 5 Mission 1 Complete!

The ankle is throbbing and my time was slow as molasses... and had to skip some running.... but it's done.
    Now time to ice and roll it out.