Anyone doing any hiking?

Options

Replies

• tn_bigfoot
    tn_bigfoot Posts: 14
    Options
    I did my hike of Mt. Leconte last weekend. Though it isn't the highest peak east of the Mississippi it is the tallest mountain from it's base east of the Mississippi. I know it does't compare to some of the hike i see posted but a 3k gain in elevation from where I started on the trail. It rained all of the way to the top, and the fog rolled in. But it was a great trip. I am having trouble putting my pictures on here. I will try to add them later.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/zXq7xOtmvs8

Dirty Harrys Peak in Snoqualmie Washington

I had a camera issue today. It stopped working :sad: Not the best video. Mainly because of the fog. The last mile we had to post hole 3-4 ft. deep snow. It was 3400 feet to the peak in about 3.9 miles. The snow made it very difficult. Especially because we had to watch out for the tree wells we walking between.
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Good for you for not wimping out in the rain and fog!
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Over Memorial day weekend, I took my boyfriend up to a bed and breakfast near Big Bear Lake for his birthday. We had lots of car trouble the day we drove up, but this awesome mechanic fixed the car and got it back to us that day. We relaxed at the bed and breakfast and then had an amazing dinner at the Peppercorn Grille. The next day we had breakfast, and then went hiking together. We hiked Gray's Peak (not the 14ker in CO). It's a relatively easy hike with a 2,000 ft elevation gain over 3.5 miles (7 miles round trip).

Grays3.jpg

A fire had been through years ago, and you could still see some of the damage, but it got cooler and prettier as we went on.

Grays1.jpg

...And the best part...My boyfriend proposed at our bed breakfast the night before. We kept it a secret that day and just enjoyed the hike together.

ec6ea4ef-e959-4445-a553-34c1393ce698.jpg

The top was beautiful with a great view of the lake. It was wonderful and peaceful, and I couldn't be happier!

6db180f8-cfbd-4d5d-ae6f-c95110985e38.jpg

We set a fantastic pace and then ran down the mountain (literally). I'm thinking more and more about getting into trail running. I really loved it.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    What an awesome time ! Congratulations on the proposal. Sigh...........a man proposing on the trail is my dream date. So jealous!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Today I did Mount Rose in the Olympic National Forest. 3400 feet in 3 miles to the summit, and of course Mother Nature had to throw in some deep snow in parts, to make it harder to stay on the trail .......um when you could find it. Not to mention that I had 3 YOUNG men hike with me. They were in awesome shape. And flew up the hills. They were so sweet to wait for me with patience. I never did thank them, I was too busy have a stroke Total mile 6.5 miles Round Trip. On the way back we followed the ridge and looped back down the easy way. Yeah right, love to give who ever claimed that myth a good swift kick in the knee caps

My Hiking Team, aka Mountain Goats
    5fjc5v.jpg

Almost to the summit. Breath taking views from here
    hugln6.jpg

Lake Chelan
    2z8xjk5.jpg

15gcw43.jpg

Total Calorie burn 1450 in just under 5 hours.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Here are some pics of us today doing Heart Mountain in Alberta. I take my daughter to almost all my hikes/scrambles but today she got to walk a little on her on for about 30 mins and she even climbed a rock wall with the help of her harness/rope. I was so proud of her, for a 2 year old she did amazing. Once we got back down, I showed her what we had done and she said "wow, can we go again mom?"

933946_10152866177445161_1017932547_n.jpg

936218_10152866175975161_924199487_n.jpg
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Wow, that looks like some intense terrain. Kudos to you and your daughter.
  • cascadeshiker
    Options
    I hiked up to Camp Muir on Mt Rainier yesterday (June 1st) with some friends
    ...and shot a little movie at the top: http://youtu.be/Qb1Q0Miv5kc

Camp Muir is a climbing hut on Mount Rainer at 10,100 feet.
    The hike gained 4680 feet in elevation with a total distance of 9 miles.
    With a lot of encouragement from my friends I'm now actually able to do something like this.
    Woohoo!!! and thanks to everyone.

8931968679_e3c4c963b7.jpg
    8931968527_e05f75412c.jpg
    8932581850_9ef424f87b.jpg
    8932581592_c516d24fcb.jpg
    8931968097_b8e0e4027f.jpg
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Awesome pictures Cascade Hiker :drinker: I can't wait for my turn in August. I just might get ants in my pants & head out early before I do Mt Adams.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Oh your pics of Camp Muir makes me want to go back to Rainier.....so BAD!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Today we attempted to do Rooster Mountain, in Snoqualmie WA. We probably only had another 1200 feet to go, but called it, because it was getting too dangerous. No trail no markers, and walking on about 3 feet of snow with run off streaming under the snow below our feet. Total ascent was only 2887 ft. We stopped at a basin and lunch and headed back down. Still a great day and I was able to burn 1348 calories Yay

Snoqualmie River

1slg60.jpg

Tons of little water falls along the way

2ebfr13.jpg

Almost to the basin

4g12df.jpg

Great picnic spot

34obguf.jpg

Deep snow for miles

2w24lfa.jpg
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    I feel like a thread stealer, but I just enjoy sharing my adventures with others.

Today I took some of my non hiking friends with me, so I could get a chance to take a slow hike with my senior dog. We went to Twin Falls in North Bend WA. It's only a 4 mile hike, but very pretty.

i5rokp.jpg

28v6mo.jpg

My sweet dogs, cooling off in the river

swe9hl.jpg

Small streams everywhere, I could just sit there for hours

i60dw5.jpg
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    One of my big hobbies is finding and identifying wildflowers throughout Colorado. Today, I finally found one I've been searching for for awhile. It's hard to find, but so beautiful. It's called the calypso orchid or a fairy slipper.

24mc46v.jpg
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Wish we had a "Like" button-- this is so cool!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Wish we had a "Like" button-- this is so cool!

I agree. What a beautiful flower.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    @HikerGirl - Twin Falls is one of my favorite "little" hikes. We were there just last week. Great photos.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    These weekend we hiked to Goat Lake along Elliot Creek - ten miles round trip - off the Mountain Loop Highway in WA state. Streams and waterfalls were running really high with snowmelt. A beautiful day!

Goat Lake:
    9002588755_e00b81e56c.jpg

McIntosh Falls:
    9002587577_edeb380dc0.jpg

Yellow Violets:

9002586089_673f18d7f9.jpg
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    I love that hike. I went on a rainy day last year. Still pretty.
  • HikerLiz
    HikerLiz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love calypso orchids, and this is a great shot of the short subtle flowers. John Muir called them "The Hiders of the North," and it's always a thrill to see them in the spring!