Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I normally don't eat or drink anything before my morning workouts so I was thinking about just something light an hour or so before the race to give me a little burst of energy. Maybe a piece of toast with peanut butter and a banana or something like that.

I usually run at 6 and my race was at 9. I had a bowl of cereal and a little orange juice for breakfast, and then split a granola bar with my son about a half hour before the race.

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep it simple and hopefully beat my goal in the race. I will definitely come back here and post my results.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Just back from Week 8 Day 2. Ran 2.34 miles in the 28 minutes. Went at too fast a pace for the first mile, I blame the up tempo tunes that came on shuffle and the fact that I was feeling great and enjoying the run. Well, I felt great until around 1.5 miles and then my lungs staged a protest :wink: Slowed down and finished at a comfortable pace.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I finished Week 3 Day 3 today. My legs are a bit sore. I started doing more work with my legs yesterday and today I'm really feeling it.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I'm hoping some C25K veterans can help me....My questions are for those who have completed it or at least have a good knowledge of C25K. I just finished week 3 day 1. My questions are:

1. Am I supposed to take a whole "real" week to complete one of their 3 day weeks?
    2. Did you plow through it and do it daily?
    3. If I am only supposed to do it 3 days a week what did you do on the other days?
    4. Did you repeat any of the days or weeks to make it easier?

I'm not in great shape and I do go nice and slow, I also got brand new running shoes (I was fitted at the running store). I signed up for a 5k on Sept 28th, so that is my target date. Any advice or hints/tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • ladytrixibelle
    ladytrixibelle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Did W5D2 yesterday and my legs are quite sore... granted I ran 11 minutes instead of the 8 on the second interval, but still.

The infamous W5D3 is tomorrow. I'm pretty anxious about it, I'm not sure how I'll go with the sore legs but if I need to stop and redo the day a couple of times I'm okay with that.
  • fitgalin22
    fitgalin22 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Great work! Awesome way to start the C25k experience :D

Thank you! :wink:

I completed W1D2 yesterday...I was able to do the same as yesterday which is fine with me because I know I'll keep improving each week. Hope everyone is still enjoying their C25K week. :happy:
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Just kicked Wk3D1's *kitten*!!! Took a few days off to be sick as a dog (thanks children) but now I'm back and it was awesome!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    W7D3 done this morning.

Took the dog with me as it was lovely and cool this morning so my pace was slower (she's prone to changing direction!) but it was still a good run - we even managed a sprint for 25yds or so when she spotted a squirrel, can't wait to see how that shows up on my heart rate graph later lol

First time I've run in the rain and it was great after all this heat. I'm not sure I'll still be saying that in October but for today, it was just fine :)
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    we even managed a sprint for 25yds or so when she spotted a squirrel, can't wait to see how that shows up on my heart rate graph later lol

:laugh:
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I'm hoping some C25K veterans can help me....My questions are for those who have completed it or at least have a good knowledge of C25K. I just finished week 3 day 1. My questions are:

1. Am I supposed to take a whole "real" week to complete one of their 3 day weeks?
    3. If I am only supposed to do it 3 days a week what did you do on the other days?

I'm not in great shape and I do go nice and slow, I also got brand new running shoes (I was fitted at the running store). I signed up for a 5k on Sept 28th, so that is my target date. Any advice or hints/tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

I finished C25K last month and have moved on to 5 to 10k. (I was never ever ever a runner before April 19, 2013.)

1. I run every other day.
    2. I don't think it's a good idea to do this program daily. It's designed for every other day.
    3. On my non-run days, I ride my bicycle. I take a rest day at least once a week (usually on a bicycle day.)
    4. I had my gall bladder removed mid way through C25k, so had to repeat a couple of weeks. If you finish a day (no matter how ugly it is) move on to the next day. If you really struggle to finish a day, slow your pace down even more.

Great job on making it this far, keep up the good work!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    Like Ceci_O_K, I finished the 5k program and I'm doing 10k training now, and I used to be the opposite of a runner. I despised running and refused to do it at all costs, but now I love running.

1) Yes. It's important for your body to have "rest" days to repair itself, especially if you're new to the type of exercise you're doing (in this case, running).
    2) No way, see #1 for the reason.
    3) You can either take full on rest days where you don't work out, or you can cross train. This means doing a low-impact workout - a short walk, strength training, yoga, pilates, swim, etc. Just don't do high intensity or high-impact cardio.
    4) Definitely. I think I repeated weeks 1-4 or 2-4 at least 2 or 3 times each. A lot of people repeat days or weeks, but it's not necessarily "to make it easier" persay. It's more of repeating because your body wasn't able to complete it like it should. The way I looked at repeats was, if I was able to complete the day/week I was on, then I moved on, if I couldn't finish the one I was on, I repeated it. Don't repeat just because you're afraid that you won't be able to do the next one.

If you stick with it, you'll do great. You already signed up for a 5k which is a big motivator to stick with the program and achieve. You've got running shoes that are fitted for you, and you said that you go nice and slow, so it seems like you have all the ingredients for success. Now just go out there and mix them together! :flowerforyou:
  • ladytrixibelle
    Options
    I did week 5 day 3 yesterday instead, and made it!!! Woohoo!!!!!!
  • jmm083
    jmm083 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hooray! Congrats ladytrixbell! I just got done with W4D2 today. I know that week five is really going to be challenged and I am so scared but everyone's results keep me going.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I did week 5 day 3 yesterday instead, and made it!!! Woohoo!!!!!!

Congrats! That one is such a rewarding run.

Well... I decided to repeat week 8, so I did the W8D1 version 2.0 tonight and it was a lot easier than last week. I am positive if I pushed myself I could have fun the full 3.1 miles instead of stopping at 2.75 but I still think redoing this week is a smart move.
  • ladytrixibelle
    Options
    Hooray! Congrats ladytrixbell! I just got done with W4D2 today. I know that week five is really going to be challenged and I am so scared but everyone's results keep me going.
    It's nerve wracking leading up to it but you can do it!
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I did w8d3 last night. ONE MORE WEEK! Wooo.

I really struggled this week so I am going to redo this week before I move on to a full 3 miles. But either way, I give up a lot, so really proud of myself I stuck with it and didn't give up.

Great job!!! The finish line is in sight!!! You did a great job! Thanks for the inspiration!
  • chantels1
    Options

Thanks!

I hope some of the more experienced runners answered your question. If not you may want to start a new topic instead of posing in the check in thread.

I will add my 2cents though. I am on week 4 and I still find that I want to push through and double up on days, I did double up once or twice early on, but as the program gets more challenging I would not recommend it. Others told me to cross train with some yoga or pilates on the days off. So that is what I mostly do. Wish I could run more often, but the risk of injuring my knees is enough of a scare to remind me to take days off. You have to build up strength in the joints so they are used to all the new activity.

Good luck!
  • chantels1
    Options
    Did W5D2 yesterday and my legs are quite sore... granted I ran 11 minutes instead of the 8 on the second interval, but still.

The infamous W5D3 is tomorrow. I'm pretty anxious about it, I'm not sure how I'll go with the sore legs but if I need to stop and redo the day a couple of times I'm okay with that.

Awesome job!!!! I will be doing week 5 next week!!! A little intimidating, but looking forward to it! Thanks for inspiring those of us behind you!
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I did W4D1 today, it wasn't as bad as I thought. When I was finished my muscles were sore and I was tired, but I felt like a million bucks! I can see where this could be addicting :)
  • Soxgirl97
    Soxgirl97 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My 5k app (5k Runner) is a bit different from C25K but it accomplishes the same thing. I completed my 20 min run on Monday and did my second one today!! Now they just continue to increase. My first 5k is Sept 14 and I really want to be able to run the entire distance. Right now the longest I've run is 1.68 miles. I'll keep plugging away. Normally I run 3-4 times a week but I was sick this week.