Replies

• mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    image.jpg
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My love for Doctor Who started out like most nerdy things that for some reason I initially shun, like sushi, Battlestar Galactica, MMORPGs. Well, ok shushi isn't necessarily nerdy, but you get the point. It just starts sucking me in and I can't help myself.

I loved Rose and Pond. Clara interests me, but I only just started season 7 pt. 2. I liked Eccleston, warmed up to Tennant, and I love Matt Smith. His energy is amazing. My husband says Smith reminds him a lot of the second doctor. I haven't watched any of the really old ones though.
  • mruntidy
    Options
    45 minutes to go......
  • mruntidy
    Options
    Ooo so it's a man so far
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    Will not spoil it for those who don't want it, but I love that guy! He completely grabbed me on The Hour. Such a great choice.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The new Doctor Who played a "W.H.O. Doctor" in World War Z, ironic.
  • mruntidy
    Options
    Plus he has already had a role in Doctor Who and a bigger role in Torchwood
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I'm just glad they didnt go any younger then matt smith or the doctor might have ended up in diapers............
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The new Doctor Who played a "W.H.O. Doctor" in World War Z, ironic.
    I saw that! Saw a post somewhere about him being the potential favorite, so I looked him up - cracked up when I saw the World War Z role!
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    While I am sad to see Matt go I am excited to see a new man take the role. My husband hopes that this doctor is a bit darker, like Eccleston was, I think it would be neat!
  • spud_chick
    Options
    I'm just glad they didnt go any younger then matt smith or the doctor might have ended up in diapers............

I know! I had a Benjamin Buttons concern with that too. "My other companion is a wet nurse", etc.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    During the live announcement show, someone (Moffat?) said something about how it's been established in the series/universe that time lords can change gender on regeneration. Does anyone know what they were referring to? I've only been watching since the 9th doctor, was it something from the old shows?
  • mruntidy
    Options
    This was all i could find on gender although Moffat did say that it just; "wasn't the right time" for a female Doctor and that it was women who didn't like the idea interestingly

In Interference - Book One and Book Two, the Time Lord I.M. Foreman was portrayed as having changed sex as a result of regeneration, though the character is noted as having received the gift of regeneration when the process was still experimental and unstable. Female versions of the Doctor appeared in Comic Relief parody story The Curse of Fatal Death and in the Doctor Who Unbound story Exile. In The End of Time the newly-regenerated Doctor shouts out "I'm a girl!", however this was just seconds after regeneration and it is possible this was post-regenerative trauma. In The Doctor's Wife the Doctor mentioned his friend, the Corsair, who had regenerated as both male and female.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    This was all i could find on gender although Moffat did say that it just; "wasn't the right time" for a female Doctor and that it was women who didn't like the idea interestingly

In Interference - Book One and Book Two, the Time Lord I.M. Foreman was portrayed as having changed sex as a result of regeneration, though the character is noted as having received the gift of regeneration when the process was still experimental and unstable. Female versions of the Doctor appeared in Comic Relief parody story The Curse of Fatal Death and in the Doctor Who Unbound story Exile. In The End of Time the newly-regenerated Doctor shouts out "I'm a girl!", however this was just seconds after regeneration and it is possible this was post-regenerative trauma. In The Doctor's Wife the Doctor mentioned his friend, the Corsair, who had regenerated as both male and female.

Thanks for this. I didn't know the other instances (missed that in The Doctor's Wife). I thought "I'm a girl!" was because he felt his head while doing his new-body inventory and discovered that his hair was somewhat long.

I think it's an interesting possibility to consider, but wasn't really anxious to see the Doctor as a woman or a different race. I agree that Helen Mirren would be a great choice if they went female, and the Idris Elba and Chiwetel Ejiofor suggestions were cool, but I'm looking forward to Capaldi. He has an otherworldy, intense, hyperintelligent way about him that seems great for the doctor. Mind you, it's nice to find the doctor attractive, but he doesn't have to be young to be attractive.

I'm not sure Moffat is the man to write for a female doctor anyway. So we can keep that twist in the bullpen for the time being.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Thanks for this. I didn't know the other instances (missed that in The Doctor's Wife). I thought "I'm a girl!" was because he felt his head while doing his new-body inventory and discovered that his hair was somewhat long.

I think it's an interesting possibility to consider, but wasn't really anxious to see the Doctor as a woman or a different race. I agree that Helen Mirren would be a great choice if they went female, and the Idris Elba and Chiwetel Ejiofor suggestions were cool, but I'm looking forward to Capaldi. He has an otherworldy, intense, hyperintelligent way about him that seems great for the doctor. Mind you, it's nice to find the doctor attractive, but he doesn't have to be young to be attractive.

I'm not sure Moffat is the man to write for a female doctor anyway. So we can keep that twist in the bullpen for the time being.

Exact quote from The Doctor's Wife:

"See that snake. The mark of The Corsair. Fantastic bloke. He had that snake as a tattoo in every regeneration. Didn't feel like himself unless he had that tattoo. Or herself a couple of times. Oo hoo! She was a bad girl!"
  • spud_chick
    Options

Exact quote from The Doctor's Wife:

"See that snake. The mark of The Corsair. Fantastic bloke. He had that snake as a tattoo in every regeneration. Didn't feel like himself unless he had that tattoo. Or herself a couple of times. Oo hoo! She was a bad girl!"

Thanks!

Clearly I need to rewatch all of them :)
  • _meesh_
    _meesh_ Posts: 73
    Options
    I've been re-watching New Who, and watched the adipose episode (Partners in Crime, S4E1) and realized that if someone came to me and said, "hey, here's a pill that will make you lose a kg a day, by turning it into an alien fat baby". I'd probably still buy it. I'd be good for 50-60 adipose. It seems to be a painless process when done on schedule since no one seems to wake up when it's happening while they're sleeping, so I don't really see a downside. As much as it was against the Shadow Proclamation to seed the planet, I wonder if she'd just asked for volunteers if she would have been okay.

On another note, Silence in the library/Forest of the Dead was ever more sad because the character of River Song (one of my favourite, if not my favourite) is so much more developed in my mind. I thought I cried during The Name of the Doctor but I cried even more watching Forest of the Dead this time.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    I'm rewatching it too. Just finished The Girl in the Fireplace. I'm finding it more affecting as well, knowing the characters better, and haven't even gotten up to some of the more intense episodes. Missing Eccleston again, and falling in love with Tennant again.

I agree with you about the adipose pill. I didn't (don't) have enough to lose that I would feel justified taking the pill, but it seemed to me a very reasonable alternative to surgery! Yes, they could probably have attained their objectives honestly without a lot of fuss. Saw a very cool Property of Adipose Athletic Dept t-shirt with arm rings, but it only comes in gray which makes me look like a corpse.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen a ton of Classic Who (mostly Tom Baker eps from when I was a kid). But I really enjoyed Sylvester McCoy's episode of the Doctors Revisited, so I'm going to make a point to go back and watch his tenure. Also, I'd like to watch the Paul McGann stuff so I can see what happened leading up to the Time War.

We are also planning to watch the new eps from the beginning (hubby missed some of 9's season because he is not a fan of Eccelston), but at the moment I'm halfway through Sherlock and halfway through Merlin on Netflix, and we just started watching Broadchurch on BBC-A (which is fantastic so far - David's Scottish accent is swoon worthy, if not difficult to understand). And we haven't even watched Torchwood yet, mainly because we'll have to watch it when the kids are in bed. I've got a full plate!