Introduce Yourself!

Options

Replies

• MsDkis1
    MsDkis1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you JUDDDING!!

I figure the 1st week I would acclamate myself with it. Besides I'm now experiencing cold symptoms which doesn't help out with trying to work out.

I figure I would start off with some Cardio like walking on up days and then each week add in more heavier Cardio.
    I would like to incorporate some strength training eventually so thanks for that advice!!!
  • MsDkis1
    MsDkis1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sending add
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm Julie (Jules to most around here), and I started JUDDD today with a DD. I decided to eat my 500 calories, because when I've tried just drinking the shakes, after about 30 minutes, I'm looking for something to eat. I guess my body wants me to chew my meals. :)

I was a little apprehensive about staying within 500 calories for a day and not being crazy hungry, but it's been do-able. Eating lots of veggies seems to be the key--lots of bulk but very little in the line of calories for most of them. I was careful to measure my salad dressing and to watch my protein amounts so that I wasn't underestimating.

I have a long row to hoe--I want to lose somewhere between 90 and 110 lbs. I hope I really do get used to the DD quickly; that's my only fear.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Hi Julie!

Chewing is good. :) The idea of shakes, as I understand, is just a portion control crutch for beginners (although I still like and use them regularly for down days). Since you are on MFP - you should be able to figure the portion control bit out with real food - no problem!

I bet you'll get used to your down days pretty quickly - you can fit a lot of food into one if you're careful. Experiment a bit with what/when you eat and you'll find something that works for you! (Hint: Strawberries are awesome and low calorie. :) )
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am starting this way of eating tomorrow. I just read the book. The thing I like about this is it seems sustainable....meaning I just have to get through one DAY of low cals instead of looking at weeks and weeks of it. I am hopeful this will help me lose the last 25-35 lbs that I want to lose, finally! I have bought some shakes to start with...I know that will be harder for me but I think it's a good jump start and I'm trying to follow the induction phase as written. Feel free to add me as a friend! :-)
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    The thing I like about this is it seems sustainable....meaning I just have to get through one DAY of low cals instead of looking at weeks and weeks of it.

Definitely!

And the shakes work great if you can find some that you like the taste of.

I drink low carb slim fast quite often (even after 8+ months) on down days. They are filling, super easy and require no thought or preparation.

And with 20 grams protein and 2 carbs - they help me get a decent amount of protein with low calories (180 per).
  • LifesAStage
    Options
    Hi All!

I'm starting the JUDDD diet this Sunday. I've been researching it a bit and have found (through the calculator on the JUDDD site) that I should intake 489calories on Down Days.... but then it says normal intake to be 2443calories on Up Days. That seems REALLY high... does anyone actually eat that much on their UD? I was thinking of sticking between 1200-1400 (which is what I've been doing for months daily.) I'll be working out about 30min/5days a week. I've been low carbing for a couple of months now and was also thinking of low carbing (no more than 15g carbs a day) on each UD. I'm not sure it's the way to go, though and would love some advice! :)

Happy Friday!
    Rachel
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I'm starting the JUDDD diet this Sunday. I've been researching it a bit and have found (through the calculator on the JUDDD site) that I should intake 489calories on Down Days.... but then it says normal intake to be 2443calories on Up Days. That seems REALLY high... does anyone actually eat that much on their UD? I was thinking of sticking between 1200-1400 (which is what I've been doing for months daily.) I'll be working out about 30min/5days a week. I've been low carbing for a couple of months now and was also thinking of low carbing (no more than 15g carbs a day) on each UD. I'm not sure it's the way to go, though and would love some advice! :)

Happy Friday!
    Rachel

Rachel, if you're comfortable giving your stats, I can verify your UD/DD numbers for you. Those seem high, but depending on your weight and age, they could be accurate.

I'm a firm believer in following the calories given by the calculator. Mine were close to that when I started, I followed them religiously, and have lost nearly 130 pounds. I only had to adjust my calories about every 30 pounds or so. I think if you go too low on you UDs, you lose a lot of the benefits of the program. I also never ate back exercise calories and used the "no exercise" option on the calculator even when I did exercise, so that might affect your numbers as well, and we're each different.
  • LifesAStage
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Here are my stats: 5'5", 171.6lbs, 28years old, female. So you ate exactly what the calculator said for your UDs? Sounds like it has worked well for you! When did you start?

When I redid the calculator with "no exercise" it came back as 378cal on DDs and 1891cal on UDs. Does that sound right? And what do you think about doing low carb the whole time with this?

Thanks so much for the advice :)
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    Rachel, if you're comfortable giving your stats, I can verify your UD/DD numbers for you. Those seem high, but depending on your weight and age, they could be accurate.

I'm a firm believer in following the calories given by the calculator. Mine were close to that when I started, I followed them religiously, and have lost nearly 130 pounds. I only had to adjust my calories about every 30 pounds or so. I think if you go too low on you UDs, you lose a lot of the benefits of the program. I also never ate back exercise calories and used the "no exercise" option on the calculator even when I did exercise, so that might affect your numbers as well, and we're each different.

Hi,

I agree with everything Keiras_Mom said.

I do exactly the same thing (follow the calories from the calculator pretty closely (usually on the high side a bit when I'm not right on) on "no exercise" setting @ -20%, rarely eat exercise calories and then just some of them if I'm super hungry (but never on down days)). It's worked really well. I'm down 100 lbs since Jan 1.

I think you could do low-carb if you wanted - although personally, I found low-carb to lead to cravings that prevented me from sticking to the plan long-term - YMMV (and aside from the 10lbs of immediate glycogen weight loss (that comes right back after you stop low-carb and your glycogen stores re-fill) I didn't find any magic in low-carb (aside from the positive effects on blood sugar - which was why I tried it). There is a low-carb slimfast that might fit well into this - since I think it will be challenging to fill up on 378 cals of protein/fat.

Welcome and good luck!
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    JUDDDing's got you covered! I agree as well. Your numbers are right at 378/1891, so I'd personally try to stick as closely to those numbers as possible. JUDDD doesn't care what you eat to get your calories in, so if you want that all in chocolate cake, it'll still work, but your body might not like you too much. :laugh: Plenty of people like to eat low carb for other reasons, and that's perfectly fine, too, if you feel better on low carb. It was too restrictive for me, so now I don't worry about the carbs at all. I did gain a few pounds right at first when I stopped Atkins, but that was water weight and went away pretty quickly. Now I eat whatever I want. Some days that's pretty healthy with a good variety, and other days *ahem* not so much. I enjoy cocktails, so don't be shocked if you look at my diary and see lots of them. :blushing:

It took me about a year to lose 100 pounds. After that, I purposely slowed down, and have taken several maintenance breaks along the way. I've been maintaining since January between 165-150, mostly right around 150 the last couple of months. I'm 5'9", 40 years old, and hypothyroid, so I'm perfectly happy not going any lower.
  • LifesAStage
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice, ya'll! Today is my first DD so we'll see how it goes :) I decided to start this week on low carb and see how much of a struggle it is. I love eating low carb, but the time it takes to prepare food is sometimes impractical for my schedule!

Thanks again :)
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice, ya'll! Today is my first DD so we'll see how it goes :) I decided to start this week on low carb and see how much of a struggle it is. I love eating low carb, but the time it takes to prepare food is sometimes impractical for my schedule!

Thanks again :)

Good luck with JUDDD
  • SEAFOODMAN
    Options
    hi my name is Billy,I just started this on 9/12. so far I really like this. I'm still kind of confused on calories on up days because the site says 3600, seems like alot lol
  • SEAFOODMAN
    Options
    friend me :-)
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    hi all my name's Amanda I've been juddding (kinda) for months not but with the holiday's quickly approaching I think it's time I really get serious I'll be having my DD during the week and not stressing myself over the weekends hoping that Mon,Wed and Fri are enough DD's to make up for weekends,keeping in mind I need to watch what I eat.According to the JUDDD calculator my DD's are 418 my UD's are 2000.Feel free to add me,I use weight loss shakes on my DD's and lots of fruit and veggies.I look forward to meeting up and and giving and getting support!!
  • THopeLee
    THopeLee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good morning! My name is Tonya and I have about 150lbs to lose. Today is my first DD. I read the book over the past 5 days and I think this is something I can do. I'm a big fan of Atkins since I've lost large amounts of weight with it in the past, but gained back... I think the AD diet could be something that I could maintain my weight with after I reach my goal weight. I'm going to use low carb along with the AD diet.
    Here's to DD!!!
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    Good morning! My name is Tonya and I have about 150lbs to lose. Today is my first DD. I read the book over the past 5 days and I think this is something I can do. I'm a big fan of Atkins since I've lost large amounts of weight with it in the past, but gained back... I think the AD diet could be something that I could maintain my weight with after I reach my goal weight. I'm going to use low carb along with the AD diet.
    Here's to DD!!!

Welcome! I always used Atkins as my standby, but ALWAYS gained the weight back. JUDDD allowed me to lose consistently all the way to goal, and I'm maintaining beautifully. Good luck!
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Here's to DD!!!

Welcome! Listen to Dawn, she has lost over 100 lbs. She is the resident expert!!
  • LifesAStage
    Options
    Hi Ya'll,

I had to have some unexpected surgery today and my doctors told me not to lift weights for a MONTH and to only do up to 15minutes of cardio a day at the most! Argh! So frustrating. It was on my arm so I don't understand why I have to limit cardio (all I do is the elliptical machine).

Do ya'll think I should adjust the recommended caloric intake for UD's and DD's to compensate for such little excersize this coming month? So far today marks 3 weeks on JUDDD and I LOVE it so far. It's been working great.