JMBR start 9/30/13

Options

Replies

• Daisychain65
    Daisychain65 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Sorry for scaring you guys with my opinion of WO7, the good news is WO8 today and it was much better than yesterday, I'd even say it was fun in parts.Good luck with whichever weeks you are on x
  • KMJ1686
    KMJ1686 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Guys I'm having a really hard time with workout 5. I actually stopped and just cried twice during it today. Up until now I've felt like I'm keeping up but this workout is just so tough for me and negative thoughts are starting to get the better of me.

In the first circuit, I can't really do the pushups so I'm just kind of holding plank then rotating into sideplank, which is fine, but I can't do it straight after mountain climbers. I just collapse on the floor. I also can't really do the jump squats after being in that stupid crescent pose. My quads kill me!

Second circuit I actually like and I get a bit of confidence back during it and generally feel fine.

That is until the 3rd circuit hits. I can NOT do those crab things with a leg in the air. My arms are shaking trying to keep up even with both feet on the floor. Cable punches are impossible after that circuit. The flyes I almost kept up with until the last set when my arms just gave out.

The fourth circuit - I don't get why the single leg squats are there. They just make my glutes/hamstrings KILL and I have to use them again tomorrow. I don't feel it anywhere else. The tricep pushup things are weird because they don't hurt. I can't feel anything working/burning, but I struggle to do them without moving my legs around. I think my triceps simply aren't strong enough.

When I read over this I actually realise I'm doing MOST of the workout pretty well, with a few modifications here and there. It's not really that bad. It's just the mindset I get myself into. Ugh!

How is everyone going? Still keeping up? Someone else vent so I know I'm not the only one that's super frustrated with this stupid workout!

Workout 5 is tough...the first time I started it I yelled and complained and swore at Jillian the whole 30 minutes lol

I can't do a normal pushup for the life of me! I modify and go onto my knees, quickly go into a plank and turn and raise the arm. I don't go as fast as them so I can do correct form.

For the crab things...if you notice where they place there hands, finger tips facing towards your back, I turn my hands facing towards the side, it's easier for me to complete that---otherwise I can feel I will pull a muscle in my arms. Also, I can not lift a leg either, I feel it in my hamstring and it feels like I will pull something in there too so to avoid a setback I have to modify.

Hang in there girl!! Almost on to week 7....but from what I just read from DaisyChain...I'm nervous lol

I feel it in the hamstring too! Feels like something's going to tear so I'll keep modifying on that one. Good idea on going to the knees for the pushup - I'll try that next time, and also turning the hands sideways, but I feel like that releases the work from the triceps a lot?

Just when we're starting to get over the dread of workout 5...along comes workout 7 rearing its ugly head!!!

I'm sure it does release the work from the triceps...not as effective...the only way I can do those stupid things lol
  • KMJ1686
    Options
    Sorry for scaring you guys with my opinion of WO7, the good news is WO8 today and it was much better than yesterday, I'd even say it was fun in parts.Good luck with whichever weeks you are on x

Seems to be a pattern with this program...Odd numbers seem to be the hardest while even are "easier"
  • KMJ1686
    Options
    I genuinely enjoy workout 6! I never thought I'd say that about one of these workouts...

The only thing I'm still struggling with is single leg squats. I'm just placing the toe of my other foot on the floor to help me get deeper on the way down, but on the way up I'm lifting the foot so only one leg is working to push up. I feel my legs working really hard that way, but doing it all on one leg I just can't get the range of motion so I don't really feel like my legs a working. This is a good middle ground for me until I get the strength/flexibility/balance to do the whole movement on one leg.

I also enjoy workout 6 and those single leg squats are difficult for me as well. Hopefully with week 6 coming up I can do them really well :)
  • ktno1
    ktno1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options

Seems to be a pattern with this program...Odd numbers seem to be the hardest while even are "easier"

Definitely! The even number workouts seem to reuse exercises too. Like squat row in workout 4 is repeated in workout 8. So you get these moves and it's like "oh I did this a few weeks ago, I got this".

All the push-up stuff in the odd number workouts just kills me!
  • Daisychain65
    Options
    Yep, the odd numbers are definitely worse, thank goodness there isn't a WO13. The push up stuff is my achilles heel I think.
  • KMJ1686
    Options
    I had a horrible weekend! Wasn't the food...it was chocolate! Anyone have any ideas on what to eat instead of candy/chocolate when you're craving it? It's almost that TOM for me but I love chocolate so that's not really an excuse for me haha I'm not much a fruit/veggie person I just need some ideas on how others handle the craving and what they eat
  • Happytofu
    Happytofu Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I only binge on crappy sugary chocolate, so try sticking to very dark chocolate, preferably individually wrapped squares. Endangered Species has a lot of great options.

Anyway, I just got hit with the flu so I'll be taking a few days off. ~_~.
  • ktno1
    Options
    I had a horrible weekend! Wasn't the food...it was chocolate! Anyone have any ideas on what to eat instead of candy/chocolate when you're craving it? It's almost that TOM for me but I love chocolate so that's not really an excuse for me haha I'm not much a fruit/veggie person I just need some ideas on how others handle the craving and what they eat

Best thing for me is just to not have it in the house. If I'm really craving chocolate I'll get something I really like eg a Lindt lindor ball and just have one. I'll eat it slowly, savour it, and then say to myself "ok I've enjoyed my chocolate, I don't need anymore". If I binge on chocolate, it's not even about the taste. After the first few squares I'm just eating it for the sake of eating it. So I just try to make sure it's not there so I won't be tempted.
  • ktno1
    Options
    When I was putting my workout gear on in front of the mirror today, as I pulled my sports bra over my head, I saw shoulder muscles! And biceps! And back muscles! (NEVER seen those before...) I still have a long way to go but I'm starting to see some definition. My belly is still very flabby and that is always the first place I put weight on and therefore the last place I lose it. So I was getting a bit discouraged but seeing the changes in other parts of my body is keeping me motivated - it will be belly's turn soon enough!

What changes are you guys noticing? I'm super excited to hear about them! :)
  • KMJ1686
    Options
    Anyone else having issues with their knees hurting? Prior to this I never had an issue with pain, and I remember last year I had the same problem, but my knees hurt daily and sometimes wonder how I'm going to be able to go on. I'm thinking I may have to stop for a bit and have my knees recover :ohwell:
  • ktno1
    Options
    Anyone else having issues with their knees hurting? Prior to this I never had an issue with pain, and I remember last year I had the same problem, but my knees hurt daily and sometimes wonder how I'm going to be able to go on. I'm thinking I may have to stop for a bit and have my knees recover :ohwell:

My knees do not like jumping moves. I'm actually doing okay this time around by focusing really hard on good form and they're not giving me much trouble. But in the later workouts where everything is "plyo" I will probably still be stepping instead of jumping to save my knees!
  • ktno1
    Options
    I flushed by bad attitude down the toilet today before Workout 5. I worked super hard. I did those stupid crab dips with my leg in the air for nearly the whole time. I didn't cry. And I burned 370 calories (usually around 340 for WO5). Woot!

How are we all going? We can do it!!!
  • Claude1985
    Claude1985 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I flushed by bad attitude down the toilet today before Workout 5. I worked super hard. I did those stupid crab dips with my leg in the air for nearly the whole time. I didn't cry. And I burned 370 calories (usually around 340 for WO5). Woot!

Wow congrats!
    I have trouble following with the crab dips. My arms are so dead by the second round....
    What do you use to count your calories burned?
  • Daisychain65
    Options

Atta Girl!
  • KMJ1686
    Options

My knees do not like jumping moves. I'm actually doing okay this time around by focusing really hard on good form and they're not giving me much trouble. But in the later workouts where everything is "plyo" I will probably still be stepping instead of jumping to save my knees!

I've been trying to push through it and then both times this week I've cut back on lunging or jumping. I do Zumba twice a week and certain times through out the 1hr we do squats and lunges and I can't even do that anymore without my knees killing me. :( I didn't even workout yesterday. I might have to completely modify certain ones to protect my knees especially for the upcoming workouts with more plyo.
  • ktno1
    Options

Wow congrats!
    I have trouble following with the crab dips. My arms are so dead by the second round....
    What do you use to count your calories burned?

My arms WERE dead. Mind over matter basically haha I wanted to stop soooo bad but I didn't! I use a polar ft4 HRM.
  • ktno1
    Options

Atta Girl!

Thank you!!! :)
  • ktno1
    Options

I've been trying to push through it and then both times this week I've cut back on lunging or jumping. I do Zumba twice a week and certain times through out the 1hr we do squats and lunges and I can't even do that anymore without my knees killing me. :( I didn't even workout yesterday. I might have to completely modify certain ones to protect my knees especially for the upcoming workouts with more plyo.

Are you doing Jillian's cardio 2? If you are, cutting that out is the first good move to save your knees. And definitely don't do cardio 3!

Those crossover lunges bother my knees - I'm just going to do side lunges instead if it starts to hurt. And the "lunge chops" in workout 6 - I do those the same way we do them in WO5 (without the step) otherwise it really aggravates my knees.

If you're modifying as best you can and your knees are still giving you hell, all you can really do is take some time off. Have you considered getting a knee brace? I'm seriously thinking about it, not sure how helpful they are though.
  • noemibp
    noemibp Posts: 167
    Options
    [crazy mode/] Woohooo! scorpion pushups! Wheel pushups! Pushups, pushups, dive bombers (or something like that...) oh, and that yoga-ranga thing Grrrrrrrr...[crazy mode off] :drinker: