Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Today (36 and raining) I wore a long sleeved tech shirt, a water resistant tech shell (it has a fleece liner that I removed). Cheap nike Capri yoga pants (tech fabric) and water resistant warmup pants. My jacket had a hood and I wore a tech hat under it and tech gloves. The gloves got damp so my hands were cold but everything else felt pretty good.

I ran to Kroger, and I can tell you that coffee was a deciding factor. I could clearly envision enjoying tasting it and it seemed more than worth the annoyance of the rain.

You are a rock star.

Yes, Varda! You are a rock star! :-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Sorry you're not feeling well madmiss. Hope you get over it soon.

You rock, Varda! Next time I'm tempted to stay in because it's yucky out I'll think of you.

Good luck with the 8 miles, Laura.

I haven't run since last Wednesday, with the flyball tournament on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and then shifting my priority to the pool for the few days that it's open this week, closed today through Friday and they said no water aerobics until next Monday. Today I need to get out! It was rainy, chilly, and miserable this morning. I hope that it gets better by this afternoon as I'll get off work by 2 pm. Do my run and then head to the store to see if any groceries are left on the shelves. I've got no idea how far I should run today, but will probably go with the old standby 5k training run.

Planning to bike on Thanksgiving, run on Friday, bike on Saturday, and run Sunday.

Wow! That's a full schedule! I'm impressed!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    I finally got a decent run in (in between laundry and packing) - 4.5 miles on the dreadmill. I built my pace from 5.0 - 5.8 with a 1.0 incline and then cooled down with 10 mins of walking. The last mile and a half my out side right hip was really hurting. I stretched it out really well after, but I think I urgently need a foam roller! I was hoping to do a 5K race on Saturday morning, but our time at home in Kentucky is going to be so short, that I think I have to scrap the idea. We are piling into the car again and taking the kids to see their Great Grandfather and 2 Great Aunts and a Great Uncle instead. :-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Very proud of my kids, completed week 6 of c25k which is a 25 minute run. They managed it easily (much easier than I did first time round!) and still managed to sprint the last minute. Finding it harder to fit in the runs now that the weather is becoming more unpredictable but we'll be finished before Christmas.

Awesome!!! You must be so pleased with them! :-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Oh, now the forecast for Thanksgiving morning is 23°F. And a chance of snow the day before. And sleet tomorrow morning (and we need to head downtown for the expo). Yikes!

Good luck with your race, Tim! :-)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I can't. Last night I was trying to figure out my route on Endomondo's website. For fun I decided to see how far it was from my house to my parents' house. They're in the next town over. I'm on the west side of my small city and they're on the east side of their even smaller town. Eight miles would take me just past their house. I don't even like driving to my parents' house because I think it's a hassle. Now I feel compelled to run there because it just feels so ridiculous. I don't feel compelled to run home again, though, so I'd want to hook up a ride back.

You should definitely try it. For the longest time, I'd look at my plan and think "That looks insane."

I'm beginning to get used to idea of running whatever crazy thing they write down. As long as it's progressive, I can probably do it.

Also, it's cool when people say "Wow, it looks like you ran here." to say "I did."
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Oh, now the forecast for Thanksgiving morning is 23°F. And a chance of snow the day before. And sleet tomorrow morning (and we need to head downtown for the expo). Yikes!

Good luck with your race, Tim! :-)

Thanks! No snow this morning but we had quite a bit of ice pelting the side of the house very early. Now it's clear, very windy, and very cold! I went into the gym earlier and did 20 minutes on the elliptical to get some blood into my legs. Then spent half an hour stretching. Getting excited for the race now!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    What are you going to wear? I have the 5k. I'm thinking a singlet with the oldest Turkey Trot shirt I can find. Running tights and either warm up pants or shorts over. Hat, gaiter and gloves. Fleece jacket. Though my gloves are at bit yucky from my last run.

Runner's World thinks that the jacket is a maybe and would stick with just the tights.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing two layers of long-sleeve tech shirts, CW-X tights with shorts over them, stocking cap, and gloves. I'll wear a fleece jacket that I'll discard at the start (they will collect all clothes to be donated). I think that will be good enough once I get warmed up.

Good luck on your 5K!
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    no trot for me

kinda a 5 mile tempo run tonight

dcd9pt.png

3 miles tomorrow morning before turkey.

Happy thanksgiving all
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I finally got a decent run in (in between laundry and packing) - 4.5 miles on the dreadmill. I built my pace from 5.0 - 5.8 with a 1.0 incline and then cooled down with 10 mins of walking. The last mile and a half my out side right hip was really hurting. I stretched it out really well after, but I think I urgently need a foam roller! I was hoping to do a 5K race on Saturday morning, but our time at home in Kentucky is going to be so short, that I think I have to scrap the idea. We are piling into the car again and taking the kids to see their Great Grandfather and 2 Great Aunts and a Great Uncle instead. :-)

That's awesome. I can't imagine running 4.5 miles on the TM. Well done. Also a huge increase in pace. I do the 1.0 incline too.

Definitely the foam roller. Tennis ball will help in the meantime if you've got one of those around.

Have a safe road trip!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Also, it's cool when people say "Wow, it looks like you ran here." to say "I did."

I love this.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Good luck Tim & Varda on your races!

Great run Joe!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Snowed last night, and still some snow and ice on the ground but I got a 5K run in today. The windchill brought the temperature down to 14. I layered up well, but almost slipped on the ice. I just keep thinking this is going to be a long winter.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the Thanksgiving races and happy Thanksgiving to my American cousins :)

Romy, I think it's great that you're creating your very own running club!

Laura, you'll do the 8miles no problem with all the determination you've got though I know what you mean about getting thrown by checking out mileages ... a few months ago if you asked how far to my local railway station, I'd have guessed a couple of miles. Turns out it's barely one; hardly worth putting my trainers on for lol

No running for me for a few days as I'd my final eye surgery yesterday and I'll have the patch on for a few days - I'm dangerous enough around the house (walked into a few chairs and doorframes already - such a dummkopf!) so I think I might be pushing it for outdoors. If I've still got it on come Sunday I might go to the gym (my husband's a member so I can go with him as a guest) and use the treadmill .... how wrong could it possibly go? lol Until then I'll just keep checking in and cheering you lot on :)
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    awaiting to here how everyone has done with their races today...

Ran the first annual Furkey Frot with my kids today and we finished @ 27:05 for a 5k distance today. A PR(although not official) for my daughter. It was cold and windy, but we ran together before most folks were awake.

Having a sinful day today, banked 700 calories from yesterday, tithe 300 more earned today...if i go over that (counting still, but not holding back)..i'll run to Wal-Mart tonight (4 miles) and I'll meet my wife there for some black friday shopping if we feel the need...
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    It would have been a perfect day for a run outside (sunny & 21 at the moment) if the roads weren't icy from last night's snow. Not a whole lot of snow - maybe 4" - but enough to make the roads slick from being plowed, so instead of a nice 4 mile run outside I went to the gym & did a 30 minute hills run on the treadmill. Started with the Galloway version but then just kind of went out on my own to get more variation in incline (anywhere from 0.0 to 5.0). The last few minutes of the run I set the incline at 1.0 and increased speed every 30 seconds. Then I did one of my strength homework sessions. On the drive home I saw a woman running down the road with her Yaktrax on. Came in the house & ordered a pair which hopefully will come next week sometime. It's supposed to be sunny the next couple days so hoping the roads clear up so I can get outside for my run on Saturday.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Laura, you'll do the 8miles no problem with all the determination you've got though I know what you mean about getting thrown by checking out mileages ... a few months ago if you asked how far to my local railway station, I'd have guessed a couple of miles. Turns out it's barely one; hardly worth putting my trainers on for lol

Isn't that funny? I did the same thing with our hospital (which is up a big hill I made myself run a few times). Could have sworn it was at least 2 miles away and I had to run just past it to get to 1 mile.
    No running for me for a few days as I'd my final eye surgery yesterday and I'll have the patch on for a few days - I'm dangerous enough around the house (walked into a few chairs and doorframes already - such a dummkopf!) so I think I might be pushing it for outdoors. If I've still got it on come Sunday I might go to the gym (my husband's a member so I can go with him as a guest) and use the treadmill .... how wrong could it possibly go? lol Until then I'll just keep checking in and cheering you lot on :)

Hope your recovery goes smoothly! And that you stop walking into things. I crash into things with both eyes working so I can imagine how hard it is to maneuver around with just one.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Ran the first annual Furkey Frot with my kids today and we finished @ 27:05 for a 5k distance today. A PR(although not official) for my daughter. It was cold and windy, but we ran together before most folks were awake.

Wow - you and your kids are FAST. Awesome job.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Snowed last night, and still some snow and ice on the ground but I got a 5K run in today. The windchill brought the temperature down to 14. I layered up well, but almost slipped on the ice. I just keep thinking this is going to be a long winter.

I'm afraid you're right about it being a long winter. I let the ice keep me on the treadmill. I can handle the cold but the ice scares me. Nice job braving the outdoors!