Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I've been busy and neglecting these forums. I'm sorry!

I'm on week 9 of 1 hour runner. I rand 49 minutes and 5.02 miles yesterday at an 11:26 pace. I'm slow, but hopeful that I'll be able to run my 10k on January 1 in under an hour.

I'm not always posting, but I do read, and I thank you all for all the information you post.

Nice run Cheryl! (And not slow in my book.)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    So, I last went out for a run on Tuesday morning. Then I went to work. I have basically at work apart from sleeping since then... I also managed to catch lurgy, possibly from one of you. Sinus infection. No voice at all. (none, not even a squeak). Lung chunks. It has been the opposite of fun because I still had to do the 14+ hour work days with nothing that resembled meal breaks just lots of being very droopy and feeling sorry for myself... Also horrible windy weather here in Scotland -not cold, just wild.

However, I woke up feeling better today and the weather seemed normal and I was only working 9 hours today so yay! A Santa Dash was starting just a mile from my flat. So I jogged along to it and joined the queue of about 20 folk to register (with another 50 or so people appearing at my back). The DJ was saying there were about 3300 people there in their santa suits. Then when I was 7 from the front of the queue they ran out of santa suits so I had to choose between running without one and looking like the ultimate killjoy, and also standing around for 45 minutes until it started in the one thin layer I had worn out thinking I would be covered up or just abandoning ship. It seems Santa Dash races are not for us this week...

So I went for a run on my own. Not great speed and I ran out of steam and had to start doing walk/jog intervals to get home after about 40 minutes, but better than I had any right to expect considering how miserable I felt a couple of days ago!

Still not made it to the gym I joined (see earlier work and lurgy excuses) but I will this week. I WILL.

Bummer about your Santa dash...but nice run anyway despite the icky sicky. Sorry that all my coughing on the computer passed the yuk to you! Who knew that was even possible?! LOL!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the ice and snow issues everyone is having.... ;( and sorry about your leg pain, Tim. I'm very proud of everyone for keeping on going and trying to find ways to beat the crappy weather and/or personal obstacles..
    way to go romy! I hear you about the clothing, I'm in the same boat, so I wear yoga pants and sneakers everywhere lol

Nice 3 miler for me tonight with the five fingers... I was a bit hungry and a bit tired, but trying to work my shins out - they seem to be doing better, but don't want to overdo it as I have an 8k reindeer run this Saturday to do!!!! Under the bridge we just ran across this past Saturday!

That's it! I'm moving south. I want to run without dread of breaking limbs on ice and snow.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    After reading the past couple of days of updates, I just have to say I love you guys.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the ice and snow issues everyone is having.... ;( and sorry about your leg pain, Tim. I'm very proud of everyone for keeping on going and trying to find ways to beat the crappy weather and/or personal obstacles..
    way to go romy! I hear you about the clothing, I'm in the same boat, so I wear yoga pants and sneakers everywhere lol

Nice 3 miler for me tonight with the five fingers... I was a bit hungry and a bit tired, but trying to work my shins out - they seem to be doing better, but don't want to overdo it as I have an 8k reindeer run this Saturday to do!!!! Under the bridge we just ran across this past Saturday!

That's it! I'm moving south. I want to run without dread of breaking limbs on ice and snow.

I won't lie, it's pretty awesome right now, 83 yesterday ;) but..... Next season when it's 100 degrees and 100% humidity out you'll hear me beotching up a storm ;)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    After reading the past couple of days of updates, I just have to say I love you guys.

We love you too!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Bummer about your Santa dash...but nice run anyway despite the icky sicky. Sorry that all my coughing on the computer passed the yuk to you! Who knew that was even possible?! LOL!

What I want to know is how you got something as cool as "lurgy"
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Santa got me a Garmin 620 last week (and Santa bought one for herself too of course). I have only been out running with it once so far. I have mixed emotions about the 620 but I think it will be pretty useful as I get more serious about my training next year. I'll post more about it as I get a few more runs in and try to learn all the new features.

For now I'll say the display was a disappointment at first. Much less contrast than my 310XT. I shot the photo below with two high-power flash units to give you an idea of what it looks like under bright light (since we haven't seen the sun in like two weeks).
    11298115953_7a67f0a883_n.jpg

With the backlight on it's much better. When running you just need to hit the upper left button to turn it on. You can also just tap the screen but tapping the screen also scrolls to the next data page.
    11298020515_0b99464b1b_n.jpg

During my run last Sunday it was pretty gloomy & rainy out but I didn't have much trouble seeing the display. It just takes a few seconds for me to read the numbers unlike my 310XT which just requires a super-quick glance.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Santa got me a Garmin 620 last week (and Santa bought one for herself too of course). I have only been out running with it once so far. I have mixed emotions about the 620 but I think it will be pretty useful as I get more serious about my training next year. I'll post more about it as I get a few more runs in and try to learn all the new features.

For now I'll say the display was a disappointment at first. Much less contrast than my 310XT. I shot the photo below with two high-power flash units to give you an idea of what it looks like under bright light (since we haven't seen the sun in like two weeks).

With the backlight on it's much better. When running you just need to hit the upper left button to turn it on. You can also just tap the screen but tapping the screen also scrolls to the next data page.

During my run last Sunday it was pretty gloomy & rainy out but I didn't have much trouble seeing the display. It just takes a few seconds for me to read the numbers unlike my 310XT which just requires a super-quick glance.

It's very sleek. And I love how much data you can get on one screen. My Forerunner 210 doesn't show all 4 of those things on the same screen.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

What I want to know is how you got something as cool as "lurgy"

Seriously.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Last night was my long run. I didn't have any warm clothes clean, so I subbed the treadmill. I made it for 30 minutes with ample numbers of breaks. Kudos to anybody who runs on the 'mill!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, Varda, even with music I was checking the time every 10secs.

FINALLY I got outside to run today. It was so very, very cold .... really quite foggy and only just above freezing ...................and it was absolutely fantastic!

I layered up including hat and gloves then off I went. Because I hadn't run outside for a couple of weeks and my attempts on the treadmill weren't entirely successful I hadn't got a distance in mind but I'd set myself a 1.5hr limit.

It went surprisingly well - 7.2 miles but with a few walking breaks along the way and I must confess I was glad to see the 90th minute clock up so I could stop running completely but I was pleasantly surprised that I got as far as I did after being such a slacker.

Fastest mile was 10.17, slowest was 14.02 so I think I can guess which of those two had the walking break .... but the main thing is I'm back running properly which is quite a relief as I was worried I might start finding excuses not to do it!

Reading everyone else's progress I'm so chuffed for you all are getting out there in the pooey weather, not sure I'd be so brave if it was snowing here!

Hope the tendon doesn't give you too much pain, Tim and everyone else gets over all their coughs and splutters and aches soon :)
  • timeasterday
    Options
    FINALLY I got outside to run today. It was so very, very cold .... really quite foggy and only just above freezing ...................and it was absolutely fantastic!

Glad you got out! Sounds like a nice run. We are finally seeing the sun after 9 straight days of rain. I really want to get out and run but I am resting. Didn't even feel like going to the gym today. Last night I worked over my right-leg peroneal muscles pretty good with the foam roller and a tennis ball. I have a sore spot today below my knee, probably from digging in that tennis ball to the muscle's release point. But the pain lower down my leg (above the ankle) is much better so maybe I am doing the right thing.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    For me, ankle pain is always due to calf tightness.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Inside on the Y track tonight...but it was awesome! (Yes! runner's high is still in effect, LOL!) I ran 4 miles with a one minute walk break between each mile. Not counting the walks, my mile paces were 10:14, 10:08, 10:23, and 9:57!!!! The 4th mile felt awesome!!! About two laps in I just felt this tingle come over my face and felt kinda like I was floating. I was grinning like an idiot. It's really amazing what the little walk breaks do!

And just before I ran, I went to the sporting goods store with a $10 dollar reward coupon and walked out with free running socks! A good day!

Tomorrow I have the first of a series of appointments to fix my bad veins. Glad I got a good one in before I have to back off. I will be allowed to do low impact- elliptical or bike-but no running. It will be hard. :-(
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

Lucky!!!!!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

I love you too, Laura! This is a great group!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

Last night was my long run. I didn't have any warm clothes clean, so I subbed the treadmill. I made it for 30 minutes with ample numbers of breaks. Kudos to anybody who runs on the 'mill!
    I know what you mean, Varda, even with music I was checking the time every 10secs.

I HATE the treadmill. But if I have to be inside, I don't mind the track cuz' it makes me feel fast! I'm liking that! But what I wouldn't give for a good long outdoors run...I miss them so much!

I layered up including hat and gloves then off I went. Because I hadn't run outside for a couple of weeks and my attempts on the treadmill weren't entirely successful I hadn't got a distance in mind but I'd set myself a 1.5hr limit.

It went surprisingly well - 7.2 miles but with a few walking breaks along the way and I must confess I was glad to see the 90th minute clock up so I could stop running completely but I was pleasantly surprised that I got as far as I did after being such a slacker.

Fastest mile was 10.17, slowest was 14.02 so I think I can guess which of those two had the walking break .... but the main thing is I'm back running properly which is quite a relief as I was worried I might start finding excuses not to do it!

Reading everyone else's progress I'm so chuffed for you all are getting out there in the pooey weather, not sure I'd be so brave if it was snowing here!

Hope the tendon doesn't give you too much pain, Tim and everyone else gets over all their coughs and splutters and aches soon :)

Awesome run, Yam!!! I am finding (that along with a completely level surface), walking breaks make me much faster! And nothing like a good run to break up the gunk in your chest and get it moving on out. :-)
  • timeasterday
    Options
    For me, ankle pain is always due to calf tightness.

Could be but there are also two other likely scenarios:
    1. I strained the peroneal muscle due to an ankle roll. I rolled my ankle 3-4 times last month but each time there was no pain. Maybe the repeated stress combined with the fact that I kept running longer and longer distances was too much. I have rarely rolled my ankle in the past so I am not sure why it happened so much last month.

2. Hip dysfunction or weak glutes is causing my foot to roll off at an angle. If my hip is tight and/or my glutes are weak, then I can't pull my leg back enough and the foot has to roll to one side to compensate. Otherwise I would trip over my own toes. The foot should roll off straight up and down so the major calf muscles do the work. If my foot rolls inward then the small, weak peroneal muscles have to do the hard work of the calf.

This shows what might be happening when my right foot comes back:
    evback.jpg

I think I will bring my camera with me Sunday and take some video of me running around the parking lot to see if there are any issues.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I just registered for the Savannah Rock 'n Roll Marathon in November 2014! Today it was $20 off the normal price. I have plenty of time to train but I need to get back to running soon. Based on how my leg feels today I think I should be good to go for a long slow run this weekend.