Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Today was great....I ran outside for the first time in 3 weeks. It felt wonderful & I felt energized in the outdoors.
    I went the hilly route and reclaimed "my" hill. Ran 6K in 52:08.

Running outside is so much more satisfying, isn't it? And great job reclaiming your hill! Nice time.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Friday, I did my first run on the treadmill at the gym. It was different, but something I might be able to do from time to time when I can't get outside. I made about 3 miles.

Saturday I did a Zumba class and then some strength training.

Today I have sore muscles!

You had an active couple of days! Nice job running 3 miles on the treadmill. The first time I ran on the treadmill I went 3 miles and it felt endless. That's still about the longest I care to run on one.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    This morning I did a nice, easy 7.7 mile run with the running group. Was shooting for 8 miles but most of the group stopped short and I didn't want to be out in the cold wind any longer. Disappointing that no bears showed up on the greenway.

Bummer you didn't see any bears. Good thing no bears saw you! Was it hard to stop at 7.7? Being that close to the next "round number" and stopping would have been very hard for me, not that running 8.0 is that different than running 7.7.

Also, I hope someday I describe a 7.7 mile run as "easy."
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Hey everyone.

Great job on the 8k!

Had my long run today. Did 6.5 miles with some of the peeps from my running group. Can't talk long today, got to get to bed early. Talk to you all tomorrow. Happy running all.

How long have you been in a running group? I'm on the fence about joining a novice half marathon training group in March. The program doesn't seem all that aggressive (longest run is only 10 miles) but I think it would be really good for me to run with other people. This particular group you do your shorter runs during the week alone, then the group meets Sunday mornings to do their long runs together (or at least starting out together, then breaking out into smaller pace groups).
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Thanks all!!! I dreamt about running all night ;)

Great job bts and rdu! And sorry there were no bears Tim, lol.

Today I have a photoshoot which is interrupting my long run "date", I am sad and happy by this because I love photographing people, but I love long Sunday run day and want to go out and try out the new, new shoes!!!! But I guess photoshoots pay for new new shoes, so it's a win win all around and I'll run when I get home ;)

Can't wait to hear a review on the new shoes once you get out for your next long run!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone.

Great job on the 8k!

Had my long run today. Did 6.5 miles with some of the peeps from my running group. Can't talk long today, got to get to bed early. Talk to you all tomorrow. Happy running all.

How long have you been in a running group? I'm on the fence about joining a novice half marathon training group in March. The program doesn't seem all that aggressive (longest run is only 10 miles) but I think it would be really good for me to run with other people. This particular group you do your shorter runs during the week alone, then the group meets Sunday mornings to do their long runs together (or at least starting out together, then breaking out into smaller pace groups).

You should totally join the group! You will be amazed how it gets you to push harder without even realizing you are and the camaraderie is awesome! (Like here!) I'm going to be a "coach" for a half marathon novice group that starts in February. Really it just means that I'll help plan routes and take responsibility for handling any emergencies that may arise. I can't wait!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    54.39 for my first 8k!!!!! And I blasted across at the finish line, it was awesome. Rain, cramps, ibuprofen and all!!!' I also got a personal best on my 5k time - 33.58!!!! Oh yeah, I'm in running nirvana happiness ;)

Awesome time mad miss! Way to overcome! ;-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Today was great....I ran outside for the first time in 3 weeks. It felt wonderful & I felt energized in the outdoors.
    I went the hilly route and reclaimed "my" hill. Ran 6K in 52:08.

Awesome Plexgut! Way to conquer those hills!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Friday, I did my first run on the treadmill at the gym. It was different, but something I might be able to do from time to time when I can't get outside. I made about 3 miles.

Saturday I did a Zumba class and then some strength training.

Today I have sore muscles!

You had an active couple of days! Nice job running 3 miles on the treadmill. The first time I ran on the treadmill I went 3 miles and it felt endless. That's still about the longest I care to run on one.

Laura and my friend Kathleen have a really good plan for defeating the monotony of the 'mill that works for me. You speed up or increase incline very .5 mile. My trainer had me do both, but while walking. I found it very hard because I so badly wanted to run! Or if watching TV, speed up and then slow back down each commercial break...All just little games to keep your brain engaged, and boost your speed/endurance too. It helps the time go much more quickly!

Here's an article with some ideas for treadmill "games"...

http://www.fitbie.com/get-fit/tips/4-treadmill-workouts-are-actually-fun/tip/1
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    This morning I did a nice, easy 7.7 mile run with the running group. Was shooting for 8 miles but most of the group stopped short and I didn't want to be out in the cold wind any longer. Disappointing that no bears showed up on the greenway.

Are you really disappointed that Smokey didn't show? LOL! Nice run. I can't wait for 7 or 8 miles to feel easy!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

I went for my regular 5k run this afternoon. Really nice weather considering, about 35F, with a breeze, but sunny. Went with my running gloves, and headband rather than my new winter hat and was comfortable. Not as easy a run as I was expecting. I felt drained before I even started and was tired and clumsy at the end. On the last little bit, from the bike trail to the parking lot, I decided to run on the dirt next to the fence and into the lot, rather than through the grass and over the packed snow into the lot, which is how I had gotten on the bike trail. This was a mistake. Because my glasses are transitional and so turn to sunglasses in the bright sun, I couldn't see that someone had dropped a bunch of brown branches on the brown dirt/mud path. I tripped and went flying. Nothing seriously hurt and Fells licked me until I got up. I actually finished the run since I had 0.1 miles to go, then limped home.

I've had runs that felt that way. A struggle from the very start to the end. Those are the ones that make you stronger. Sorry that you fell. Kudos to you for getting up and finishing it! And I'm glad nothing was seriously hurt!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Bummer you didn't see any bears. Good thing no bears saw you! Was it hard to stop at 7.7? Being that close to the next "round number" and stopping would have been very hard for me, not that running 8.0 is that different than running 7.7.

Also, I hope someday I describe a 7.7 mile run as "easy."

It was a little difficult to stop at 7.7. It's just not in my nature to stop so close to the next whole number. But that cold wind hit me hard so I headed straight for the car. The greenway is much more sheltered from the wind than where we parked.

I guess I'll have to wait until we go back to the Smokies to see some bears. We signed up for the Great Smoky Mountains Half Marathon in September so that's my next chance.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I think it's amazing that you see bears (or at least bear poo!) on your runs .... unleashed Labradors or the odd deer is as exotic as it gets around here!

Btsinmd, kudos for finishing your run after going flying - I did that a few months back and while my pride was hurt more than me, scabbed knees are not a good look on a 44yr old! lol

Madmiss that was a really great time on your run and it's good to hear lots of you are getting back outside again after doing time on the dreaded treadmill. I got out today but we're due some pretty horrible weather on Wednesday (my next scheduled run) so I might need to do a re-jig this week to get the other two runs in. They're only short so I can do them back to back days if needs must.

Out today for 7miles in the rain which was both refreshing (lovely spray on my face!) and annoying (soggy feet ... shoes felt like they weighed an extra 10lb each by the end). I took it easier than I probably should have but didn't want to risk skidding on the wet leaves so time running was 86mins which is setting no records (not even for me!) but it's all miles under foot and not on a treadmill so I'm happy enough :)
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I think it's amazing that you see bears (or at least bear poo!) on your runs .... unleashed Labradors or the odd deer is as exotic as it gets around here!

No bears sighted yet by me but they have been on the news quite a bit. I would have been happy to see just some bear scat or tracks. Only saw some deer, rabbits, and lots of squirrels.
    Out today for 7miles in the rain which was both refreshing (lovely spray on my face!) and annoying (soggy feet ... shoes felt like they weighed an extra 10lb each by the end). I took it easier than I probably should have but didn't want to risk skidding on the wet leaves so time running was 86mins which is setting no records (not even for me!) but it's all miles under foot and not on a treadmill so I'm happy enough :)

Miles under foot is what counts! Sounds like a good run even if it was a little soggy. I'll take that over a treadmill any day!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    This month marks one year of running for me. I think I've accomplished a lot while dealing with a few injuries along the way. But more importantly, I've met a lot of great people and made many new friends. The running community is such a wonderful bunch of people. And I'm thankful my wife has been there with me on this journey every step of the way, providing a huge amount of support and motivation. We are both looking forward to what next year brings us.

11391382853_4c8e98ca01_n.jpg
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I will post more tonight when I get home but just wanted to say CONGRATS TIM!!! That's so great :) Nice picture too!!!! I'm glad you have someone who can share in the fun and motivation with you :) So happy for you both!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Tim, congratulations on such a great year! Love the photo. That's a year of achievement.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Tim! My anniversary was the 13th.

You've accomplished so much. And there's so much left to learn...you probably won't peak for another 5 years or so. This is much more fun than I thought it would be when I started.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago my cold was starting to get better then moved down into my chest, but it's finally gone!! It was told cold outside so I hit up the treadmill today. it's only the second time I've run on the treadmill and it wasn't as bad as the first time. I ran 3 miles and felt a bit insulted that I had to take a couple of walking breaks in that short a distance. I did figure something out though. If I run fast my calves don't hurt, but I get out of breath so much easier. When I do my normal easy pace or slower, my calves hurt. I think I might need to do various intervals at different speeds for now. I'll have to check out the treadmill links several of you posted. This winter is going to end up being a combo of treadmill and outside. I just found out that the local park district has an indoor walking track that's 1/10 of a mile, but I'm not sure I'd be able to keep track of that good enough. 50x around the track for 5 miles, I'm sure I would end up miscounting that :) It's supposed to be upper 20s on Wednesday so I'll be back outside.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago my cold was starting to get better then moved down into my chest, but it's finally gone!! It was told cold outside so I hit up the treadmill today. it's only the second time I've run on the treadmill and it wasn't as bad as the first time. I ran 3 miles and felt a bit insulted that I had to take a couple of walking breaks in that short a distance. I did figure something out though. If I run fast my calves don't hurt, but I get out of breath so much easier. When I do my normal easy pace or slower, my calves hurt. I think I might need to do various intervals at different speeds for now. I'll have to check out the treadmill links several of you posted. This winter is going to end up being a combo of treadmill and outside. I just found out that the local park district has an indoor walking track that's 1/10 of a mile, but I'm not sure I'd be able to keep track of that good enough. 50x around the track for 5 miles, I'm sure I would end up miscounting that :) It's supposed to be upper 20s on Wednesday so I'll be back outside.

Usually your footstrike changes when you get faster. You go up on your toes, you push back harder and your knees lift more. One of the things that has taken me a year to learn is to replicate that efficient stride at a slower pace. Speed intervals help, but what really helped was using the Martin Yelling cadence interval podcast.