Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Tim! My anniversary was the 13th.

You've accomplished so much. And there's so much left to learn...you probably won't peak for another 5 years or so. This is much more fun than I thought it would be when I started.

Congrats to you too Varda! Yes, much much more to learn. I still feel like a newbie. And yeah, having a ton of fun at it!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    So proud of everyone! I need to get a better stride, some days I have it nice and effortless then today I had calf tightness also - first run in the new shoes, so it was to be expected - they have about 8mm of bottom, my five fingers have 4 - they feel good, light, comfy, hopefully they will give me a nice ride when I can be them out in the daylight... I don't mind running in the dark, with my nose running because it's relatively cold, but I don't like the layers, at all!!!! I get so hot and the gloves go, then I roll up my sleeves, then my head is all sweaty and I want to rip my hat off but I have a set of lights on one hat, then I get aggravated and mad. Then I think I'm running fast and my pace drops off so then I have to huff it back to my favorite negative split times that I love to try and get now ;) but hey, I got 3 miles in! I'm happy!!!!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago my cold was starting to get better then moved down into my chest, but it's finally gone!! It was told cold outside so I hit up the treadmill today. it's only the second time I've run on the treadmill and it wasn't as bad as the first time. I ran 3 miles and felt a bit insulted that I had to take a couple of walking breaks in that short a distance. I did figure something out though. If I run fast my calves don't hurt, but I get out of breath so much easier. When I do my normal easy pace or slower, my calves hurt. I think I might need to do various intervals at different speeds for now. I'll have to check out the treadmill links several of you posted. This winter is going to end up being a combo of treadmill and outside. I just found out that the local park district has an indoor walking track that's 1/10 of a mile, but I'm not sure I'd be able to keep track of that good enough. 50x around the track for 5 miles, I'm sure I would end up miscounting that :) It's supposed to be upper 20s on Wednesday so I'll be back outside.

The track at my gym is 1/14th of a mile. No way I can keep up with the laps on my own, so I downloaded a free counter app!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I finally got to ride my bicycle yesterday after 2 weeks! I made it 15 miles before it got too dark to be safe. the trails were mostly clear, I only had to walk the bike through ice a couple of times.

The next few days will involve copious amounts of food and drinks with little time to exercise- 2 Christmas parties and a concert.

:drinker:
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I finally got to ride my bicycle yesterday after 2 weeks! I made it 15 miles before it got too dark to be safe. the trails were mostly clear, I only had to walk the bike through ice a couple of times.

The next few days will involve copious amounts of food and drinks with little time to exercise- 2 Christmas parties and a concert.

:drinker:

Glad that you were able to get out, Ceci! Enjoy the parties!

Really glad you're feeling better, Rindy!

Congratulations to a great year to both Tim (nice picture!) and Varda!

December has been a light running month for me and probably will continue to be this week, although I will get out this weekend, hopefully Friday and definitely Sunday morning. The holidays will be interesting and either I will be running a lot more or a lot less depending on what members of my family are doing. I'm expecting that it'll be more and that I'll get out running on 4 of the 7 days for the two weeks and perhaps biking some of the others depending on snow and ice.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I didn't run on Sunday...and my weight is up. I need to run tonight and it's freaking cold. Well, 51. I guess that's not that bad. Not for running. Look, I'm just not motivated right now so it feels cold. I should have packed my neck gaiter. Argh.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I didn't run on Sunday...and my weight is up. I need to run tonight and it's freaking cold. Well, 51. I guess that's not that bad. Not for running. Look, I'm just not motivated right now so it feels cold. I should have packed my neck gaiter. Argh.

It sure looks nice out there but that wind is cold! Without the wind it would be gorgeous. I'll be headed out for a run after work. Can't decide whether to do the greenway or do a trail run. I get bored with the greenway sometimes and don't enjoy all the concrete.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Get out there and get it done. You will feel better after you get done with it. If anything, just go do a short 2 or 3 miler.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    11423227635_f8ffde3c54.jpg
  • timeasterday
    Options
    LOL Varda!! Love that one!

I just got back from a great 5-mile run. It was sunny and 60°F out - just awesome weather for mid-December.

Today someone from the Atlanta Track Club contacted me about being a staff photographer for them next year. Seems like Marathonfoto is backing out of a lot of their events. They saw some of my photos I posted on their Facebook page and they really liked my work. The really big events (three?) will still be covered by Marathonfoto and those are the ones I would be running anyway. But there are many smaller races that need a photographer. They also want to work on selling photos (and I would get a cut of course). I'm pretty excited about this opportunity!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    LOL Varda!! Love that one!

I just got back from a great 5-mile run. It was sunny and 60°F out - just awesome weather for mid-December.

Today someone from the Atlanta Track Club contacted me about being a staff photographer for them next year. Seems like Marathonfoto is backing out of a lot of their events. They saw some of my photos I posted on their Facebook page and they really liked my work. The really big events (three?) will still be covered by Marathonfoto and those are the ones I would be running anyway. But there are many smaller races that need a photographer. They also want to work on selling photos (and I would get a cut of course). I'm pretty excited about this opportunity!

Wow, Tim! That is amazing!
  • madmiss
    Options
    Damn Tim, that's awesome!!! Congrats!!! See, now you can get paid to photo - can you do it an not want to run in them all is the question? :)

VARDA, that's friggin AWESOME!!!! I litterally LOL'd at the office.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Varda, that totally made my day.

And congrats Tim & Varda on your one year anniversaries!

My trainer has me on a little mini running break (just until Thursday) while a few aches & pains in my knees and Achilles settle down. In the interests of avoiding further aches & pains I bought new running shoes tonight to use on the treadmill. I went to a different running store & it was almost a religious experience. The prior place had the sensor you stand on & walk over, but this place had me running on a treadmill while they videotaped my feet & calves so they could watch it back in slow-mo. She brought out some shoes that were fine, but I had the same problems I have with my Asics in that they feel loose (and no method of lacing them is fixing that), so she brought out another brand that runs narrower through there, and they're perfect.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Varda, that's a great pic!

Tim, wow!! That's a great opportunity.

I have finished with Christmas baking and preps...well, as much as can be done ahead of time. There's just a bit of wrapping left to do. Which means that I won't be missing any more runs....at least very, very few.

Today, I ran 5.5Km in 47:10 (approx. 13 min mile). That's a little slow, even for me. Need to pay a bit more attention to pushing myself a bit. I've been coasting this past month.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I managed to sneak out of work early yesterday, couldn't pass up the beautiful weather!

I ran around the community college near where I work. It was a good run, felt great! Still came out with a blood blister on the ball of my left foot, though!

12-17-2013_zpsfc36a715.jpg

I love reading everybody's updates- definitely motivating me!
  • madmiss
    Options
    Nice Ceci!!! I worked for 12 hours each of the last two days, so I'm on the couch with my delicious crown royal and no exercise. Tomorrow in the cold I will run with my new running partner, we have a 650am date mon, thr and fri mornings now! ;) everyone else, please workout for me in the meantime ;)
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Varda, that's a great pic!

Tim, wow!! That's a great opportunity.

I have finished with Christmas baking and preps...well, as much as can be done ahead of time. There's just a bit of wrapping left to do. Which means that I won't be missing any more runs....at least very, very few.

Today, I ran 5.5Km in 47:10 (approx. 13 min mile). That's a little slow, even for me. Need to pay a bit more attention to pushing myself a bit. I've been coasting this past month.

I find myself doing that sometimes - the other day I checked my pace after a man ran past me like I was going backwards and was aghast to see it was almost a full minute off the pace of the previous mile all because I was daydreaming about stuff and not putting in the effort! Mind you, even picking up my pace he was still out of sight in no time lol
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The weather cooperated (27 degrees) with me yesterday and I ran 5 miles outside. The path I usually run on was plowed, but not salted. It was so slick, I had to take some walking breaks. I finished up my run on the road since it was dry. Overall the run was quite a struggle. On Monday I was thinking I had a hard time because I was on the treadmill. After yesterday's run, I'm wondering how much fitness I lost due to no exercise for 2 weeks while I was sick. The first mile my calves hurt just like on Monday. There were also several times I took walking breaks even on the dry road. I guess I never thought two week would make that much of a difference. I don't know, maybe it's all in my head.

The good news is that I found a local running club. They have a facebook group that I joined a couple weeks ago, but have always been a bit intimidated. The activity I see is mostly really fast marathon and ultra marathon runners. I posted a question to the group about ideas on where people run in the winter, since my normal route too slick. Several people responded right away inviting me to the group run on Saturday morning. I told them I would never be able to keep up and they assured me that they have runners at all levels. One guy said he only runs distances up to 5k and at a 13:30 min/mile pace. This should be interesting, I've never run with anyone before, but it does sound like fun.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Rindy - plan on it taking just as long to get back to normal as the time you were sick. So you are looking at 2 weeks to build back up to where you were before. That's great news about the running club. We have several around along with the local running stores that have a lot of group runs. So there's never a lack of a group run somewhere any day of the week. You will find people of all abilities on those runs and you'll have no problem finding people to pace with. Joining the group runs was the best thing I ever did.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The weather cooperated (27 degrees) with me yesterday and I ran 5 miles outside. The path I usually run on was plowed, but not salted. It was so slick, I had to take some walking breaks. I finished up my run on the road since it was dry. Overall the run was quite a struggle. On Monday I was thinking I had a hard time because I was on the treadmill. After yesterday's run, I'm wondering how much fitness I lost due to no exercise for 2 weeks while I was sick. The first mile my calves hurt just like on Monday. There were also several times I took walking breaks even on the dry road. I guess I never thought two week would make that much of a difference. I don't know, maybe it's all in my head.

The good news is that I found a local running club. They have a facebook group that I joined a couple weeks ago, but have always been a bit intimidated. The activity I see is mostly really fast marathon and ultra marathon runners. I posted a question to the group about ideas on where people run in the winter, since my normal route too slick. Several people responded right away inviting me to the group run on Saturday morning. I told them I would never be able to keep up and they assured me that they have runners at all levels. One guy said he only runs distances up to 5k and at a 13:30 min/mile pace. This should be interesting, I've never run with anyone before, but it does sound like fun.

I usually do a few days of run a half mile/walk a minute for 2 miles until I'm running the whole way again. Then I build up from there pretty quickly.

I'm so excited about your running group!