Getting Started

Options

Replies

• giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Just ordered all equipment today and should be here within the next two weeks (I hate shopping so I live online lol).. in the meantime, keeping my diet in check for the last 2 weeks (in deficit) and studying this book and you guys religiously lol

I ordered: 7' Olympic barbell (with 110lbs worth of weights to start), bench (declines, inclines etc..), Rack, swiss ball, bowflex select tech dumbbells (up to 52.5lbs)... and a multilevel step.. think I covered it for now? The most expensive item was the dumbbells lol

Can't wait to get my stuff and get set up!

Just finished CLX and found that I really like lifting. Trying to see if this is the direction I want to go. Don't have a gym membership and wasn't sure if it's something I can do at home...after reading this it looks like I'll have to invest into more equipment that I can afford right now :-((((((((
  • virgogrrl77
    virgogrrl77 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU so much for posting this! This has been the most confusing part of the book for me.
  • rosettafaery
    rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple spreadsheets that might help with logging as well as calorie requirements.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8OgAuIMlsG-TDRKd192c1A1Mkk

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8OgAuIMlsG-bUNJVGJJaXhvVFE

Very helpful! Thank you!
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My book arrived yesterday, but unfortunately my husband got to it first. He read the first chapter and said "You found the perfect book, it explains everything to you that I tried but couldn't about lifting." So I printed out week 1 workouts A and B and I am going to the gym tonight with my sons - they are going to coach me :)
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I just started last week. I have a question, in the first week we aren't supposed to be adding any weight yet, correct? We increase the second week.

Jill
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I added right after the first rep, weight was too low.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you choose a weight that is challenging for the number of reps. If you find you can do all the reps without much effort, add weight on your next set. If it feels right, keep the same weight for all sets. But definitely always aim to increase your weight each time you do a particular workout. If it is going to be a week before you do workout A again then I guess you won't be adding until the second week.
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just starting out and have done my second workout B with the Deadlifts.
    I'm loving the programme!

I have a question - in Workout A is there any replacement for cable rows?
    I got to two gyms one the one that has the best squat rack has no cable row machine so I'm looking for ideas for a substitute exercise.

Thanks!
    L
  • terrie_k
    Options
    Laurochka - Although I do the cable row, the book suggests a Bent-over Row as a home gym substitute, with barbells or dumbells.
  • pursuittofit
    pursuittofit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just started it. It would be awesome if I could add some of you for motivation! All new friends are welcome :)
  • terrie_k
    Options
    Feel free to add. I don't make the best eating choices but have been logging fairly well. On stage 1 workout B6 tomorrow. The starting nov 1 group has also been quite active lately and talks mostly about the workouts :) good luck.
  • veggiemama81
    veggiemama81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing up week 1 today and have a couple of questions:

Is anyone else a runner? How did you handle it? I tried to run after one of my workouts - a short one mind you, I only planned on two miles - and the moment my foot hit the treadmill I felt like my legs were melting! He wasn't kidding when he said our hamstrings aren't as strong as they should be because mine were screaming after about 1/4 mile. I love to run and don't want to give it up but I am also really loving how the past couple of work outs felt lifting and definitely don't want to give that up either.

What about calories? I upped mine, which is a little nerve-wracking but I know it's necessary. Did increasing intake make anyone else nervous too? It's not like I eat junk. And for the calories he has suggested in the book, is that total or net?
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Hey Veggiemama! Cute name :). I used to run but had a couple of injuries last year and couldn't continue. I'm hoping to get back into it in these next couple of weeks with the weather warming up and would love some feedback on this as well.

I'm finishing my 4th week in Stage 1 and all I can tell ya now, there's no way I could run and lift on the same days. I just wouldn't have the power for the lifts. I kinda found that out the hard way when my husband and I had a little...erm, 'cardio' session before hittin' the gym one day :blushing: and I had a REALLY hard time pushing out the same numbers as the previous session. That said, I think easing back into a 15-20 run on non-lift days could be really beneficial.

As far as calories, I'm trying to sort of stagger them. My lift days I'm ravenous, so I take advantage of the higher goal. On non-lift days, I try to eat until satisfied but try not to eat all the way up to goal. (However, I fully admit that my diet lacks consistency and it's an area I'm really trying to improve). If you are doing cardio on non-lift days, make sure you take that into account and feed your needs.

Oh, and I believe the goal in the book is total calories, not net. That's why they give you a different goal for workout and non-workout days. Hope that helps! And hope some others can weigh in :)
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I found this group after reading a lot about the book on MFP. I am brand new to exercise (since January), and have been doing mostly aerobics, some walking and now busy with Hip Hob Abs. I love the DVD workouts. But lifting is starting to entice me and I want to venture into this very strange world.

My questions are:
    1. I have 50kg to lose (110lbs). Am I right for lifting?
    2. Can I continue with my workout DVD's? Next I want to do Turbo Fire.
    3. I don't have a gym to go to. Can I get the equipment and use it at home? And along with this question, what will I need to start?

Thanks so much for your responses.
  • LizLearnstoRun
    LizLearnstoRun Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am starting this today with my cute tiny free county gym. There is no Swiss ball but have one at home so will run home to do that. Any suggestions would be great this is frankly scary to me. I have read the book and printed out the form for stage one work out A and B.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I am going to be starting this in the next week or so and just wanted to say thanks for all the info. I read every darn page! :)
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I posted this in the Stage 1, Part 7 thread by accident...sorry!
    Wow ladies, you're all so inspiring! I am starting stage 1 on Monday and have a question about the squat in Workout A: am I okay to sub dumbells resting on my shoulders for the barbell at first?

Also, regarding the step up, is it better to increase the weight of my dumbells or the height of the step, as I move on? Or did you increase both a bit at the same time?

Finally, for the prone jackknife: if I have already been doing these for a bit and therefore find the sets and reps pretty easy, should I modify it to a straight-leg jackknife? Two sets of 8 or 10 wouldn't be challenging for me right now.

Thanks!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, but I believe the height of the step up is more important than the weight. That will prepare you for the more intense lunges later. The book does say to continue challenging yourself and you are encouraged to do more at any time.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    I got the book yesterday, busy reading through, hoping to get started on Monday Morning :smile:
  • winonajosephine
    winonajosephine Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bump