Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I desperately wanted to run outside today but the warmest it got before I had to leave for a family party was -9 with a -21 wind chill, and I'm not that brave, so I opted to stop at the gym on the way home. Just wasn't feeling it today. Walked a quarter mile to warm up, ran 2 miles, walked another quarter mile, ran 1 more mile, then walked a half mile & stopped. Was hoping to run 4, but settled for 3 running & 1 walking. My IT bands have been sore just above my knees so my trainer gave me a new stretch for that. I made sure to stretch well & get on the foam roller after my run.

At those temps I'd be afraid my extremities would freeze and shatter like glass! Way to get that run done even if it wasn't how you wanted to do it. :-)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I desperately wanted to run outside today but the warmest it got before I had to leave for a family party was -9 with a -21 wind chill, and I'm not that brave, so I opted to stop at the gym on the way home. Just wasn't feeling it today. Walked a quarter mile to warm up, ran 2 miles, walked another quarter mile, ran 1 more mile, then walked a half mile & stopped. Was hoping to run 4, but settled for 3 running & 1 walking. My IT bands have been sore just above my knees so my trainer gave me a new stretch for that. I made sure to stretch well & get on the foam roller after my run.

Wowie, that's cold! I wouldn't go out in that either. What kind of stretch are you doing? I've been having some IT band pain too and trying some different stretches.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    I didn't go to the local race today. It was supposed to be at 9 am from a local running store and they never did say how long a run it was going to be. I thought I might, but the choice of getting up, getting dressed, and getting over there to run in the morning and then have pancakes with strangers wasn't as appealing as getting up, having an omelet, checking my e-mail and then running with Fells in the afternoon when it was warmer. It's really hard for me to get enthusiastic for a race.

I did get out with Fells and we got a good run (5k+) in and though it seemed like I was running slower than a snail, I actually had a pretty good pace going for me.

Sounds like a good run and a good day! I do hope you get a chance to run with the group one of these times. I'm sure Fells was happy that you chose him! :-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    I really struggled with it too. I finally decided it was the belt moving - it impacts your stride so I was fighting against that. I didn't feel like I had control over my speed either - when I stop running outside the ground does not keep moving under me. Finally, at 1.5 miles outside I always hit a point where I'm tired but that goes away by the time I get to 2 miles, so when I'm feeling tired on the treadmill I decide it's the same thing and push through. My trainer has me use a 1.0 incline (it's easier on your hips) so try that - I know it sounds like it should be harder but it might make the movement more natural for you. I bump it up for my warm-up walk too so I'm used to that incline before I start running, then for my cool-down walk I do drop the incline back down to 0.

Thanks for the suggestion Laura. I'll give that a try next time.

Rindy, treadmill running is hard for me too. I detest it. But it's better than none at all. I hate that I can't naturally speed up or slow down. It's so boring. Playing little "games" helps me a lot - changing incline or changing speed with each .5 mile or sprinting during commercial breaks. There's absolutely nothing wrong with breaking it up with walking either. :-)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Laura for the mindset check. You know, pumping breastmilk sucked too, but I did that 20 minutes three times a day for six months. I can handle a treadmill occasionally for the three months it's inconvenient to be outside. Running means that much to me. It's time to stop being a weenie.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My kids graduated c25k today! Woke up to a beautiful sunny day and knew we'd get the final run done. Ran through the woods with our dog and it was very wet and muddy. My daughter lost one of her trainers in a deep patch of mud and almost got knocked over by a boisterous dog but she kept going and didn't complain! Ended the run covered in mud and celebrated with chocolate cake and a hot shower. My son ran 4.13km and my daughter ran 3.7km. The challenge now is to keep them motivated to run with me at least once a week.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Oh, Congratulations and Much Joy and All that is Good! Great job!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My kids graduated c25k today! Woke up to a beautiful sunny day and knew we'd get the final run done. Ran through the woods with our dog and it was very wet and muddy. My daughter lost one of her trainers in a deep patch of mud and almost got knocked over by a boisterous dog but she kept going and didn't complain! Ended the run covered in mud and celebrated with chocolate cake and a hot shower. My son ran 4.13km and my daughter ran 3.7km. The challenge now is to keep them motivated to run with me at least once a week.

I think that's absolutely brilliant! I wish someone had taught me how to run 'properly' when I was young so hopefully this is something that will stay with them for life now. :)
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted much over the Christmas but I've not given up on the running!

As well as not logging food I also went out naked running - as in no gadgets (I wouldn't inflict my cellulite on anyone!). It was actually very nice to just get out and potter along without wondering about time or distance. Knowing the routes it would have been roughly 5 - 7k each run but as for time? All I know is my husband didn't send out a search party so it can't have been that bad .... probably! lol
  • likitisplit
    Options
    On facebook, today, a friend, Beth, posted her run. Beth's friend, Sara, mentioned that she was struggling through C25k and Beth offered her support. including saying that one of the things that helped keep her motivated was that a friend told her that running didn't have to be fast.

I dropped in with some advice and it turned out that the "friend" that Beth had mentioned was me! I was really flattered. Between kids and friends and each other, it's really astounding at the effect that just this group is having on the people around us. I'm happy to be a part of something so good!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I took Nina to a tot trot. She was last, fell down, cried, got back up, walked some, started running again and finished. 4:08 for 3/10 of a mile. My inspirational quotes included "you have to run your own race." "Just keep running." "What's important is that you finish."

That is such a wonderful story. Nina is awesome and you're an inspiration to her. High fives to both of you.
  • PaytraB
    Options

This is so great! Romy, I'm sure you'll be able to keep your kid's interest in running alive. You've got them hooked.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Today I wanted my run to be about distance; not time. I set out to see if I could run 7K without walk breaks.
    I did it! I ran 7K in 60:36. Then I was a bit disappointed at the time.....then I was astounded because I'd just run an hour straight!! An hour!! I couldn't have imagined that a year ago. I'm very pleased with myself today.

Today was also my first ever in-the-rain run.......I need a hat. :ohwell:
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Today I wanted my run to be about distance; not time. I set out to see if I could run 7K without walk breaks.
    I did it! I ran 7K in 60:36. Then I was a bit disappointed at the time.....then I was astounded because I'd just run an hour straight!! An hour!! I couldn't have imagined that a year ago. I'm very pleased with myself today.

That's so great, Plexgut! And in the rain to boot - way to go!!!!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    well, since everyone else is talking about how they did in 2013, I did 247.5 miles in 5 months! I'm pretty dang pleased with that!!! Can't wait to see how 2014 goes!!! They just announced a new half marathon - a hot chocolate one - the weekend after the one I am going to do, and it's dirt cheap, like $40!!! (which is what you pay for most 5Ks around here). Wondering if I can handle 2 halfs on back to back weekends :)

Running2013-2.jpg
  • timeasterday
    Options
    well, since everyone else is talking about how they did in 2013, I did 247.5 miles in 5 months! I'm pretty dang pleased with that!!! Can't wait to see how 2014 goes!!! They just announced a new half marathon - a hot chocolate one - the weekend after the one I am going to do, and it's dirt cheap, like $40!!! (which is what you pay for most 5Ks around here). Wondering if I can handle 2 halfs on back to back weekends :)

Amazing progress there! Great job!! You can do two halfs back to back if you race one and take it easy on the other. Don't race both!
  • timeasterday
    Options

WOO HOO!! That's awesome! Congrats!!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I have been spending time back "home" in TX with my daughter and new granddaughter. No time to catch up on posts right now. I did manage to run (around the back parking lot of the hospital) yesterday. 3.36 miles in 38 minutes including warm-up and cool-down. Other than the boring scenery, not a bad run!

I brought my bicycle, but haven't had a chance to ride at all. Will be back home next week and back on track, literally.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

There's nothing to be disappointed about! That is awesome! Congratulations!!!!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    I have been spending time back "home" in TX with my daughter and new granddaughter. No time to catch up on posts right now. I did manage to run (around the back parking lot of the hospital) yesterday. 3.36 miles in 38 minutes including warm-up and cool-down. Other than the boring scenery, not a bad run!

I brought my bicycle, but haven't had a chance to ride at all. Will be back home next week and back on track, literally.

I absolutely love that you ran the hospital parking lot. LOL! You know you're a runner when....
    It's so nice that you are able to spend this time with your girls! :-)