April workout check in thread - aprilliant workouts here!

Options

Replies

• sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Squat 55kg 5x5 (warmup 20kgx5, 30x5, 40x5)
    Overhead press 30kg 5x5 (warmup 20x5)
    Deadlift 55kgx5

Upright rows with 17.5kg fixed barbell 8x3
    Lat raises with 4kg dumbbells 8x3

Yay for lifting 30 kg on the dreaded OHP!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a problem with calluses? I for some reason have always had one on my right hand but am noticing it getting bigger and I'm developing them on my left hand. I think I'm going to get gloves. Do these help?

I don't know about gloves; I've heard some bad things about them, but then again... that was on the internet).I had some nasty, flakey-looking bumps for about three weeks which were baby calluses. About a week and a half ago, with plenty of cocoa butter, they've developed into real, solid calluses. If anything, they seem to help my lifts, so I'm not complaining. These guys have some advice: http://www.fitbomb.com/2011/09/crossfit-hand-care.html

SIDE-NOTE: I come from a family of instrumentalists who are always comparing calluses (cellist, violists and violinists need to develop nasty-*kitten* calluses on their fingers) so I finally felt as though I could talk shop with my new handy calluses!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a problem with calluses? I for some reason have always had one on my right hand but am noticing it getting bigger and I'm developing them on my left hand. I think I'm going to get gloves. Do these help?

I don't know about gloves; I've heard some bad things about them, but then again... that was on the internet).I had some nasty, flakey-looking bumps for about three weeks which were baby calluses. About a week and a half ago, with plenty of cocoa butter, they've developed into real, solid calluses. If anything, they seem to help my lifts, so I'm not complaining. These guys have some advice: http://www.fitbomb.com/2011/09/crossfit-hand-care.html

SIDE-NOTE: I come from a family of instrumentalists who are always comparing calluses (cellist, violists and violinists need to develop nasty-*kitten* calluses on their fingers) so I finally felt as though I could talk shop with my new handy calluses!

I don't know that I would say I have a problem with calluses. I have them on both hands, but they don't really bother me. Gloves will help to reduce the occurrence of calluses, but really impair your ability to get a solid grip on the bar. I sometimes will take a callus scraper to them if they get too rough. The worst one is next to my ring finger under my wedding band. I try to remember to take my band off before lifting, but that isn't often.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    B 3x5 this morning.

Squats 120lbs. My sleepy 6am self thought it was easier to add plates to the 25lbs instead of replacing with the 35lbs. And more plates always feels heavier to me, I guess since the weight is further spread out.
    OHP: 66.5lbs. I have to work on bracing my core more. That was not fun.
    Deads: 1x5x140lbs. Since I deloaded form 165 to 135lbs. I'm working back up by 5lbs this time around.

My calluses come and go. I'm only lifting twice a week right now so that's partly why. When they get soft in the shower I just want to pick at them, which I know I shouldn't because they help with lifting. oh well.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    @myrealname - I used to use gloves but my hands swell when I do pretty much anything (walking outside, lifting, cardio etc) so they didn't help me much with my calluses and were uncomfortable. If you do go that route, be sure to dry them VERY thoroughly after your workout! I ended up getting ringworm/tinea fungal infection/athlete's foot between my fingers from the sweat collecting in the gloves. :sick:

@leadfoot - I envy your working weights! Keep kicking butt!

@lizafava - I share your "meh"-ness on rows, but 100lbs is awesome!

@sbarella - Congrats on hitting 30kg on your OHP!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

I used to wear gloves for all lifts but stopped wearing them for Deadlifts and Olympic Lifts - bare hands w/chalk girl now. As soon as I stopped wearing gloves I got calluses. They're very minimal but those rough little spots are always there. As long as you use chalk and immediately moisturize your hands after working out, they shouldn't get out of control. Also, the reason why a lot of lot of people don't like gloves is because they do hinder your grip a bit on the heavy stuff. It's a personal choice as to whether or not you want to lift with them. Some people get snooty about it, but I don't think anyone is less of a lifter just because they choose to wear gloves.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

I use gloves for every lift. I haven't found them to hinder my grip in any way, but I think you just have to try and see for yourself which is better for you.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies, and great workouts since yesterday!

The dancing/twerking one is my favorite :bigsmile:

I did deadlifts last night, my hardest week on 5/3/1

Warmup Sets:
    5 x 80 pounds
    5 x 105 pounds
    3 x 125 pounds

Working Sets:
    5 x 155 pounds
    3 x 175 pounds
    1 x 195 pounds-I got 5 reps here, yay!

Assistance Work:
    Front Squats - 3 x 10 @ 65 pounds. These are starting to feel a bit more comfortable
    Decline Situps - 3 x 15 with bodyweight only.

Overall, good day, although I ate at maintenance last night, I get really hungry on deadlift days!

ETA: I wore gloves briefly, and I liked them, but once I got into the heavier deadlifts, I ended up switching to bare hands and chalk, I was able to grip better that way. I use ROC hand lotion after every session, and it seems to help with my callouses.
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    sorry guys I am in kilos:

Squats 77.5kg
    Deadlift 77.5kgs (I keep them the same weight)
    OHP 30kgs
    Bench 47.5kg
    Rows 47.5kg

Kettlebells tonight - I have managed to clean and press 20kgs last week which I am soo chuffed with and the next lifting session at 6.30 am tomorrow
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Today i did:

Squats 5x5 105 lbs
    Ohp 5x5 50 lbs
    Deads 1x5 140 lbs

Then i ran a mile as fast as i could (10 min) like jstout reccomended.

Legs are dead :)
  • jstout365
    Options
    Today was what I'm calling Accessory day. So first workout of the day was:

Supersets -

3x10 Hip thrusts @ 115 lb / 3x10 landmine 180's with just the bar

3x10 @ 45 lb tricep pull over / 3x10 @ 45 lb upright rows / 3 x 10 body weight single leg squat (one foot on bench)

2 x 10 incline flag poles / 2 x 40 paces Death March with 2 x 15 lb dumbbells

Then ran half a mile because, well, I just wasn't going to make it the full mile. That and I also remembered that we are doing conditioning in boxing class tonight so....

saranharm - glad to help. :flowerforyou:
  • jerilynconn
    Options

It didn't feel like help at the time LOL! I just need my body to change!!!!
  • jstout365
    Options

Oh, it isn't fun, and getting the legs to move can be mind over matter, but give it a few sessions to see how things go and if you see any progress in the body!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Today:

Squats: 180 lbs 3x3 :cry: These were tough, but on a high note, this is the best my knees have felt in quite some time. I can get to parallel without hurting :smokin:

OHP: 80 lbs 3x3 UGH!!!!! :grumble: I HATE these. I'll have to deload next time. I was reading about how to gain strength on the OHP last night and realized that I wasn't keeping my body rigid and tight. So, I squeezed my glutes and tightened everything from my neck to my toes and this helped a little.

Deadlift: 235 lbs Only 3 reps. I know this is mental with me. I know I can lift it for 5 reps. I've just got some mental block right now. Maybe my SO needs to go out of the weight room when I attempt these :ohwell:
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Wendler's 5/3/1 OHP day.
    OHP: 45lbs x5, 55 lbs x3,, 70 lbs x5, 75 lbs x3, 85 lbs x1

85 lbs is my 1 rep max and I did it easily! Never lifted that much OHP before, I was thrilled!!! I tried for a second rep and only got it up about halfway, I think I was in shock that it went up the 1st time and lost momentum. :laugh:

Lat Pulldowns: 90 lbs 3x8

One arm dumbbell OHP: 30 lbs 3x5

Dips: 3x8 and only used 12 lbs of assistance, which is the best I've done yet.

Glad to be making progress, but unfortunately not seeing losses on the scale and I'm pretty sure I've been eating too much. I lowered my calorie count a bit and hopefully will see some progress. These last 5 lbs are the biggest $#@!* ever. :sad:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies happy Hump day

@neon my pics are up on the progress pics page and my profile if you want to take a look
    @myrealname I have callouses I am a no glove type of girl too...I am left handed and they are not as noticable there but my right has 3 distinct ones from middle finger to pinky..pinky one isn't too big..I use a pumice stone sometimes if they get too rough...

I use depo so I don't really "cycle" per say but I do find at the time that I should be I am off..sometimes more hungry

Funny comment from a friend yesterday tho ..she said I was getting that "square chest" that you get from benching...I noticed if I flex yah it's there...not sure how I feel about that but whatever...goal is BW bench so I am going there.

Workout B for me today (and yes I am back to working out on my own DH gave up) so yah DL day

Been doing my rehab 2-3x a day now instead of 3-4 as it isn't as sore as much. Stayed at 120 for my squats to work on ATG form and I am finding my leg hurts less and less the more I get ATG...hmmmm

I have upped my calories to 1700 Offically this week tho..now just gotta figure out my macros...still need that 120g but my percentage put it at 128...but of course still not totally sure of my BF%...hopefully SS and Sara will have time this weekend. Until then...I am leaving it as is. Doctor's appt Tuesday tho for my shot and I am going to ask about a Dexa scan since we live in Canada and most of those procedures are free...crosses fingers.

Squats @ 120 5x5...
    OHP @ 83.5 (1.5lbs from deload weight...this ****z is heavy) did a 31/2min rest for the first 3 sets and moved it up to 4mins for set 4 and 5.....but I did get 5x5...:drinker:

DL @ 180 still working on form....1x5..I did video this one as well I feel like there is slight rounding in my upper back..how do I correct that? Am I weak there? core maybe? I can load it up and post the link on form check area for critique...the first rep negative was awful on the way down it hurt the leg....by 5th rep I am dropping it from about 6inches up...waiting for my man child to yell at me...hehe.

On the rows...I have discovered I don't "dislike" them if I don't fail...hahaha...go figure right.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Today I deadlifted!!
    PR of 145 lbs! :bigsmile:

Did also accessory work for my legs and glutes.
    Ran 1.4 miles and beat my time by 1 minute and 30 seconds.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Slight rounding of upper back on deads is pretty normal at higher weights.

I'm right handed and my callouses are worse in the left hand, but barely there on either.

Grats on the PR twerkerTai
  • jerilynconn
    Options

Oh, it isn't fun, and getting the legs to move can be mind over matter, but give it a few sessions to see how things go and if you see any progress in the body!

Honestly what bugged me the most was that there was a tall lean gal running next to me. She was running faster and for longer and it looked effortlessly. I am really short and a bit pudgy and I think I plod and huff and puff when I run. Lol. I did it though and was so tired! I feel like I am doing better the rest of the day than I do normally. But I usually Hit my wall closer to 5 pm. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Slight rounding of upper back on deads is pretty normal at higher weights.

I'm right handed and my callouses are worse in the left hand, but barely there on either.

Grats on the PR twerkerTai

Thanks that makes me feel better...it wasn't bad rounding...so good to know that is normal.

ETA: I did want to add to this as well for those who are wondering about scale weight etc...

I asked in the ETP group about this a while back as I considered upping calories because my lifts were suffering and SideSteel told me to pick my priority...strength gains vs weight loss...

I chose weight loss...it was a hard decision...I eat TDEE-15 or 20% most of the time (recently upped my diary to 1700) as I am close to maintenance...

I guess my point is this...pick what you feel is most important right now...if you want weight down eat less but understand lifts may suffer (mine have a bit with 2 deloads since the new year) but as you can see by my ticker...the weight is almost gone and that means Maintenance...at least for the summer....:drinker: