Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hey bschool! Welcome.

So I'm feeling a bit blah right now. Scale not moving, tummy not moving. Losing motivation.

Eating at maintenance right now because I read something about metabolic rate slowing down if on a deficit for too long. I don't know if that even applies to me. Sometimes I feel like I'm the exception to every rule. Ah well. I've been here before, I know this feeling will eventually pass. Just need to try to keep on track until then (unlike today's binge).

Oh, and last week was 3/3 for me.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hi all I lifted today- I felt good after even though it was not the best workout ever-// I am glad to get the week started.

We tried to check out a farmers market but this year they are not allowing pets -- so my kids and I took turns holding the dog across the street. Different rules from last year and hard- as I am trying to come up with activities that don leave my dog alone at home.

My protein was decent but not good enough.

My eleven year old has gotten really difficult lately- rude and apathetic- she didn't want to go for frozen yogurt today- very weird.

Tomorrow I might go for a run / walk- my swim partner cancelled so I might try some running.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Welcome b school you might try evaluating progress by pictures or measurements if you lift. Lifting is great hope you decide yo try it.

Jamaica- hang in there the next workout might be great!

Runza and Sam - I am going to try a shake tomorrow - we have amazing fresh berries - I m going to use them to counteract the protein!
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Lifted only two times last week. It's been so going after my back injury. I haven't really been able to add much weight. My back was mildly sore last week. And I was super exhausted. Been eating like crazy (TOM) and drinking a fair amount of wine and beer. Not sure why. Everything just tastes good. TOM never used to affect me like this--exhaustion, ravenous hunger, crazy/angry attitude. WTH?

I've been working my booty off in the yard, garden and around the house. Maybe it will counter some of the calories.

Bought 3 new dresses while only really needing one for an upcoming wedding I am going to--however, I NEVER find anything I like, so finding 3 is like hitting the jackpot. Although, I should return at least one because I am finally getting my hair cut and highlighted this week--and it's like the most expensive thing ever.

One dress a black and white maxi with chevron stripes. Makes me feel super lean although I know it's an optical illusion. :) Makes a statement. I love it...just used to not making a statement...I am just use to blending in. It's my comfort zone.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'll give myself a 3/3 last week. Lifted x3, am still keeping to my 2x caffeinated drinks a day and drinking my water.

Long weekend here, so public holiday today with everyone at home = no lifting - annoying, but I'll deal with it and get it done tomorrow.

Spent yesterday (Sunday) out all day in the city with the kids because my parents, and my brother's family came up for a conference. So many freaking kids in the museum science thing. Very noisy, very overwhelming, but I got through it with just a headache, sore feet and two grumpy kids :wink: Possibly a slightly grumpy me too :ohwell:

*WARNING* Gonna have a little grumble.

I've been cleaning out my wardrobe and getting rid of clothes that are just too big. My 10yo niece is very tall (my brother is 6'5.... yes, that makes him a giant next to me lol) and fits a ladies AU8 (about a US4), so I managed to offload my entire box worth of clothes to her - bonus for us both!

But.... My Mum was there and was all like "But what happens WHEN you put it all back on. I did you know..."

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF..k :explode: (should've seen the look my SIL gave her!)

I love my Mum but she can be downright horrible sometimes. She also had a dig about "Make sure you eat!"

FFS. I'd just made cupcakes and cake AND eaten some with my coffee.

I just gave her the raised eyebrow and didn't bother to reply.

Which reminds me. I'm supposed to be making a roast chicken for dinner. With roast potatoes. And veges. And gravy. Better go preheat the oven.

Make sure I eat. Yeah, I will - I will also continue to lift heavy **** 3-4x a week and at the end of it all I will have a kick-*kitten* body that will NOT have the health issues hers has.

**Excuse curse words, I got a little grumpy :blushing:
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Your mom is jealous - you look amazing and you are so strong-- show her some t push-ups
  • dnamouse
    Options
    Sorry all for my last post, sounded like a sooky-la-la :ohwell:

I guess I got a little cross :glasses:
    Your mom is jealous - you look amazing and you are so strong-- show her some t push-ups

Yeah, probably. She's always been like it pretty much, I'm used to it but I guess it builds up and boils over every now and then :wink: I'll get over it, it just stings for a little bit when it's pretty much the only things she said to me (I don't discuss diet or exercise with her at all).

On a good note, my roast chicken was totally awesome tonight and I avoided the wine (just lol).
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    DNA, I don't know what "sooky-la-la" means but your post looked fine to me :laugh: I would be crazy mad if someone said that to me :mad:

Marieann, my PMS/TOM varies from month to month. Sometimes, I don't notice it at all. Other times, I feel the need to check into the psychiatric hospital- hungry, crying, and cramping... Yay for the dress score! I love dresses.

I'm going to be kind and give myself a 3/3 for last week. I traveled for four days and it was a week off from lifting so... it's impossible to track accurately when traveling :angry: So, I just enjoyed myself :drinker:

This week, however, is already not going very well :grumble: My protein is low. I start Stage 4 tomorrow.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    good lord, dnamouse, on your mama's ill-time comment! Yikes!!

I had a terrible eating weekend...it was a great weekend for watching son's baseball tournie, though....I don't want to undo all of last week's good progress, though. Am dumping another 350 calories for the week (that's only 50 per day....I can do that!).

I totally agree that having the "perfect" body would likely drive most women mental, too - because the "upkeep" can't be all that easy! Still, I do want to try to look the best that I can, for the age that I am, and that means I still have some "work" to do.

Reminds me - today, I lift!
  • runzalot81
    Options
    I messed around with my diary some more and managed to squeeze out 82 g of protein. :tongue: Not great but meets my bare minimum.
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    dna: comments like that always suck harder when they come from close family members. I'm so sorry she said that to you.
    Jamaica: you'll figure this thing out. And you're not the exception to every rule. I'm sure theres at least ONE that you fit with :laugh:
    beeps: I had a horrible eating weekend too. ah well.

2/3 this week. I got back from Philly MUCH later than I thought I would so the lifting did not happen. Oh well. I start stage 7 tonight. 3 weeks until I go to the beach. Let's see how close I get to being bikini ready. I already feel like I'm closer than I've been in years so I'm, for the first time, actually optimistic that I can do it. I'm going to through in a couple long and slow runs on my rest days to strongly encourage my body to get ready :tongue: Have a great lifting week ladies!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I just started stage 3. wow that BMW is hard!! I don't like high reps so even the 24 squats were a little difficult but when I got to the lunge jumps and the squat jumps I nearly died. I had to keep stopping to prevent my legs from just collapsing under me!

I got 2/3 last week. I lifted 3 times and hit my protein but went over on my calories.

Sam, that video is great. it really makes you think about what the purpose is and what we are really trying to achieve. If we are not already happy with ourselves then having a perfect body is not going to change anything. Its good to keep that in mind.
    Also, your weekend sounds like loads of fun!

Bschoo, welcome! I don't know the answer to your question because I started after losing most of my weight but from reading the forums here I think that most people would recommend starting lifting as early as possible. From what I understand you are more likely to gain muscle at a deficit the more overweight you are and even if you don't, lifting with help you hold onto the muscle that you already have making sure that you will have an awesome body when you do lose the weight. I would imagine it would slow down the progress on the scale though so make sure to take photos and measurements.

Jamacian, i know what you mean about losing motivation when its hard to see results. I took my post stage 2 measurements at the weekend and my waist actually went up!! I'm hoping i was just bloated! Its probably a good idea eating at maintenance for a while just to give your body a break. Then when you do go back to a deficit hopefully it will be easier to do, i find i get very bored of eating at a deficit for long periods and just need to take a break!

Dna, I would be so mad at my mother if she said anything like that! Luckily she doesn't comment on my weight apart from the occasional comments like 'a piece of cake won't make you fat'. That annoys me because if I wanted the damn cake i'd eat it! The reason I'm not eating it is because I don't want it!:explode:

Red, I can't wait to hear how you get on in stage 7. I'm going through the whole programme as it is laid out so it will take me ages to get there!
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    wow that video was moving. sets me straight today for sure. my body works, AND i'm pushing up some pretty heavy weights and sticking to the program. like all of us! snap!! how well i accept myself determines how well i accept others with all their failings also. dna, i hate that your mom said hurtful things to you. something about those ancient relationships just have so much stinging power. she won't change (neither will my dad). been working on acceptance of him and all his flaws. and my own including my weight body image stuff. part of me doesn't want to let the resentment go, don't really understand what it means to me to want to hold on so bad (not saying you are, just me).

got 2/3 this week - got all the protein, did all the walking and the lifting. did not start stage 3 by last saturday. did some foam rolling on it really helped, may be able to try stage 3 later today.

runz and manic nice protein charge that'll keep you full!

doumc hopefully i'll be with you tonight in DOMS and soreness :-) hoping my leg holds up

redlipstick awesome you're close to your goal.

beeps you're so right once you get to perfection how the hell do you maintain it?? ha puts the quest in perspective for sure

JL congrats on 3 for 3

samantha biking with the whole family what a great activity. you'll get a lot of mileage this summer and some outside cardio weather finally turned so nice :-)

sue totally impressed you can get up so early to lift, i've always aspired to early morning lifting you're done for the day and early

jpore sounds like it's going well - keep at it

pudding sounds like a great first shot at stage 3 thanks for the synopsis, gives me an idea on where to start today (if my leg makes it)

are we doing new goals?
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I will give myself 2/3 for last week.

I did my first round of Workout B in stage 3 and it was okay. I much prefer A, except for the BWM. I just don't like a lot of the moves in B (back extensions, the ab stuff) and feel like I am not making any progress on the lat pull downs. I am still stuck at 75lbs being too easy and 90 as too hard to do too many reps. Even 6 reps today were hard at that weight.

Just having a grumpy day I think :P
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    wow y'all were busy this weekend!! I had a great ride on Saturday and did "stuff" yesterday. I have mounds of laundry to do, haven't done much lately, so I guess that's my project this week.

I lifted this morning - assisted pullups and dips, OHP, lateral raises, skull crushers, extensions. The door was jammed, so they couldn't actually get the gym opened up until 5:25. It was fine for me, but I could see some folks rushing thru their workouts

dnamouse, I'm sorry you're mom is that way. Mine was always encouraging so it makes me sad when parents don't.

bshoo, there's a woman in NZ who started lifting at more than 150lbs over what her goal was. That's an old wives tale. If you enjoy lifting and weight training, do it! Your whole shape is going to change!

JamaicanLady, one one of the forums, someone said "motivation is highly over-rated, just do it" I can't tell you how many times in the past I just wanted to give up - hell how many times I did give up. Keep going. Feelings change! Your body will change. If you aren't losing and you think you should be, start weighing your food more carefully - log absolutely everything by weight, no guessing. It will make a difference.

I'm 3/3 this week - I read some more from NROL4Life, not ready to start yet. My logging was on this week, except for Saturday but I went back and finished it and I was good on macros.

I'm going to keep these same 3 for this week too. I hope I'll finish the book this week, though that might not happen. My gf is visiting from England and instead of taking the train into the city, I'm driving most of the way in - my reading time is severely hindered.

1. Truthful logging
    2. Hit macros
    3. Finish reading 4Life (and maybe get started on that routine)

I'm off now for the evening!
  • runzalot81
    Options
    I just ate a stupid amount of cereal for dinner :sick:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I'm a newbie... :) I haven't started yet... waiting for the book to be shipped to me! Since sometime in February I've lost about 15 pounds with aprox 60 more to go! I'm getting bored with cardio and have always enjoyed strength training more than cardio... I have heard a few people say this program is not for people who need to lose substantial amounts of weight. Anybody on here lose 50+ pounds doing strength/weight training vs cardio? What are your thoughts on this?

Well hello there and welcome.
    This is not a weight loss program, and it can frustrate the hell out of people. However, it sounds like you have a quite a bit to lose. All I can say is it's all about the math, calories in versus calories out. If you do have a lot to lose, then a bigger deficit is ok, but I probably wouldn't go beyond 500 a day if you want to gain strength. Just keep active. It's perfectly fine to do other things you enjoy besides lifting on non-lifting days: yoga, running, gardening, walking, etc.. The more you track the better you get with food choices and portion control and meeting macros. You got this! Then at the end of the day yo'll have all those beautiful muscles AND STRENGTH to show off.
  • samntha14
    Options
    I just ate a stupid amount of cereal for dinner :sick:
    I'm with you . I had two breakfast biscuits because I didn't feel like cooking lol Therefore, I'm a little low on protein today.

I really loved the video I posted especially when they were talking about the breast cancer survivors, like my mom. She is so uncomfortable with her body since her mastectomy. Her boyfriend doesn't seem to mind though :wink: DNA, sounds like your mom has mastered the art of passive aggressive. Sorry about that. I have to go call mine now and tell her how awesome she is.

Sue, ugh I hate driving into the city. but enjoy your time with your friend.

go red, go red, go red, go red!!

Jamaica, I know what you're talking about with losing motivation. Happens to me all the time. Just keep lifiting, just keep lifting just keep lifting (in my best Dori voice) Hell I wore a damn spank today under my dress.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Lifted only two times last week. It's been so going after my back injury. I haven't really been able to add much weight. My back was mildly sore last week. And I was super exhausted. Been eating like crazy (TOM) and drinking a fair amount of wine and beer. Not sure why. Everything just tastes good. TOM never used to affect me like this--exhaustion, ravenous hunger, crazy/angry attitude. WTH?

I've been working my booty off in the yard, garden and around the house. Maybe it will counter some of the calories.

Bought 3 new dresses while only really needing one for an upcoming wedding I am going to--however, I NEVER find anything I like, so finding 3 is like hitting the jackpot. Although, I should return at least one because I am finally getting my hair cut and highlighted this week--and it's like the most expensive thing ever.

One dress a black and white maxi with chevron stripes. Makes me feel super lean although I know it's an optical illusion. :) Makes a statement. I love it...just used to not making a statement...I am just use to blending in. It's my comfort zone.
    take care Marianne, don't push too far too fast, and enjoy your new dresses.
  • dnamouse
    Options
    Thanks all :flowerforyou:
    A new day is always better :smile: (and I'll just avoid Mum for a bit - not hard as she lives 3hrs away :wink: )

Today I did 4B - didn't bother with the box and just did straight dead lifts. Bumped up the weights each time and now I may need to go find more plates for my set as I've almost reached the limit. Which means I'm almost dead lifting my body weight :bigsmile:

I'm not doing intervals at the moment, work is nuts and my time is limited. So just focusing on lifting for now. Which is all good because I want to do a little bulk anyway so I'll start cutting just before Spring hits here in September and ramp up the cardio then. I wonder if I can talk the husband into a treamill.... you can't run outside here in Spring because of divebombing magpies. Unless you run at night, and that's not the safest option.