Let's discuss it all. Welcome home.

Options

Replies

• sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    It's not just you - Jeni's is ok but not worth the high cost to me. Steve's on the other hand - less expensive and way better in my opinion. Jeni's has a cookbook though - so if you are a big fan you can make it at home without the cost. Steve's Mexican Chili Chocolate is so good - I would try others but I always go back to that one.

I think I'm going to try another pint of Steve's. It got such great reviews I think I must have just gotten a bad one. Usually MrM and I like similar things-- there are a couple of exceptions but not many.

I really enjoyed the Jeni's I bought but it's just so expensive. I'll let ya'll know how my concoction turns out.

From what I have seen the dairy flavors of Steve's are great and the non-dairy not so much (the ones in here that were meh were all non-dairy flavors) so if you can get one of the dairy flavors I would say go with that.

I got the salty caramel. The flavor was great but there was almost no caramel in it. It looks like most of it pooled in the bottom so I bet I'll like the last serving.

Oh that makes me sad for you - caramel is so awesome and in ice cream - yum. I had some Ben & Jerry's Karamel Sutra, which has the core of caramel, and it seemed like it had less than it should have too (not my first time having it, so I had a reference) - it was such a bummer.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's not just you - Jeni's is ok but not worth the high cost to me. Steve's on the other hand - less expensive and way better in my opinion. Jeni's has a cookbook though - so if you are a big fan you can make it at home without the cost. Steve's Mexican Chili Chocolate is so good - I would try others but I always go back to that one.

I think I'm going to try another pint of Steve's. It got such great reviews I think I must have just gotten a bad one. Usually MrM and I like similar things-- there are a couple of exceptions but not many.

I really enjoyed the Jeni's I bought but it's just so expensive. I'll let ya'll know how my concoction turns out.

From what I have seen the dairy flavors of Steve's are great and the non-dairy not so much (the ones in here that were meh were all non-dairy flavors) so if you can get one of the dairy flavors I would say go with that.

I got the salty caramel. The flavor was great but there was almost no caramel in it. It looks like most of it pooled in the bottom so I bet I'll like the last serving.

Oh that makes me sad for you - caramel is so awesome and in ice cream - yum. I had some Ben & Jerry's Karamel Sutra, which has the core of caramel, and it seemed like it had less than it should have too (not my first time having it, so I had a reference) - it was such a bummer.

I like Karamel Sutra but in general I wanted moar caramel and less dark chocolate. I wish they would make just the caramel half. I don't love most of the Ben & Jerry's chocolate based ones.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    Options

I like Karamel Sutra but in general I wanted moar caramel and less dark chocolate. I wish they would make just the caramel half. I don't love most of the Ben & Jerry's chocolate based ones.

I hear you on the less chocolate more caramel - I 100% agree on that. I really go back to it for the core of caramel - that is the best part. I was a big chocolate fan as a kid but now that I am older I am all about the caramel. In fact I am eating some Haagen Daaz Salted Caramel Gelato right now (had to - since I took a day off work and have been a lot more active then normal, I would be way under calories without it :wink: )
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I hear you on the less chocolate more caramel - I 100% agree on that. I really go back to it for the core of caramel - that is the best part. I was a big chocolate fan as a kid but now that I am older I am all about the caramel. In fact I am eating some Haagen Daaz Salted Caramel Gelato right now (had to - since I took a day off work and have been a lot more active then normal, I would be way under calories without it :wink: )

Can't have that! :laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    This is a reprise of a post I made a couple days ago, but due to Photobucket issues, the pictures wouldn't load...hopefully it works this time!
    20140718_215524_zps54626d45.jpg
    It's from a local ice cream company supposedly known for it's quality and fancy flavours. I saw it in the grocery store and though I'd give it a try...Black Forest Cake ice cream! The outside promised cherries and a whipped cream swirl..
    20140721_010519_LLS_zpsc7db70e3.jpg
    It's pretty delicious, the chocolate ice cream is really good. I love chocolate but chocolate ice cream often disappoints me. It was chocolaty smooth and creamy with just a bit of dark chocolate flavour.
    It was pretty light on the cherries and the whipped cream swirl didn't add a whole lot. I'm probably going to go buy some cherries and whipped cream and plop them in there next time I have some :)

EDIT: Well the pictures are huge, but at least they loaded. Haha

Yay I'm glad you came back!

I'm also generally disappointed with chocolate ice cream. I love chocolate but usually I prefer a different base with chocolate mix-ins.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Yea, the core series was a disappointment. But I thought Salted caramel core was better than Karmel sutra core.

I want the karamel sutra caramel base with the salted caramel from the caramel core. Without chocolate.

I may be a high maintenance ice cream eater. :wink:
  • dlv147
    dlv147 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My first ice cream review......

Market Pantry Smores - MrM purchased this one at target but I got to it before he did. I really did enjoy this one. I found it to be smooth, a lot smoother than the B&J Smores. Then there was the crunch from the Graham crackers and the chocolate which provided a nice contrast. My prediction.......He won't be getting any of this ice cream and will need to go buy himself his own.

Gk2r10G.jpg?1
    wutC763.jpg?1
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Market Pantry Smores - MrM purchased this one at target but I got to it before he did. I really did enjoy this one. I found it to be smooth, a lot smoother than the B&J Smores. Then there was the crunch from the Graham crackers and the chocolate which provided a nice contrast. My prediction.......He won't be getting any of this ice cream and will need to go buy himself his own.

7WjwxAR
    wutC763.jpg?1

Ooooo I'm a sucker for S'mores. Might have to make a trip to Target for this. What's the calorie count?

I didn't care for B&J S'mores. Not enough graham cracker.
  • dlv147
    dlv147 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

7WjwxAR
    wutC763.jpg?1

Ooooo I'm a sucker for S'mores. Might have to make a trip to Target for this. What's the calorie count?

It's actually really good on the calorie profile. The serving size is 65g but only 160 calories so it's a good choice if I'm not using to many calories for dessert.

Zsv5xov.jpg?1
  • sunburntgalaxy
    Options
    NINK. Those choices look awesome. Love it.
    I'm about to head out of the office and go to Balducci's to pick up some brambleberry crisp and Gelato Fiasco! *giggity* I'm going to bring it back to the office, since they have more room than me, plus I eat more ice cream at work than I do at home. :wink:
    I really need to stop being lazy and drive up to Balducci's.

You just reminded me to check to see if they got Steve's Sunday Morning yet. Thanks! :drinker:

Oh I just looked at that at their site - that sounds so good!
    On another site where ice cream is discussed it got rave reviews.

2 peas in a pod.

Yea, the core series was a disappointment. But I thought Salted caramel core was better than Karmel sutra core.
    Wait, there was a salted caramel core - dang totally missed that one.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

7WjwxAR
    wutC763.jpg?1

It's actually really good on the calorie profile. The serving size is 65g but only 160 calories so it's a good choice if I'm not using to many calories for dessert.

Zsv5xov.jpg?1

Cool, thanks!
  • sunburntgalaxy
    Options
    Ok, I don't have a picture but my review of Haagen Daaz Sea Salt Caramel Gelato - yummy, would recommend it. My cats all wanted to try some - one liked it, one was like eh, whatever, and the third gave me a look like "this isn't ham" (he likes ham and for some reason thinks if I am eating something it must be ham, and he is usually disappointed). I think it is a great option because of the single serving size (perfect for someone a bit lazy like me), and of course, caramel is awesome. But I do wish it had more caramel mixed in to it. But the base is so nice and smooth and creamy, just like a good gelato should be (which is why I tend to prefer gelato if I have the option) and it has a great flavor.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    Options
    Ok, I don't have a picture but my review of Haagen Daaz Sea Salt Caramel Gelato - yummy, would recommend it. My cats all wanted to try some - one liked it, one was like eh, whatever, and the third gave me a look like "this isn't ham" (he likes ham and for some reason thinks if I am eating something it must be ham, and he is usually disappointed). I think it is a great option because of the single serving size (perfect for someone a bit lazy like me), and of course, caramel is awesome. But I do wish it had more caramel mixed in to it. But the base is so nice and smooth and creamy, just like a good gelato should be (which is why I tend to prefer gelato if I have the option) and it has a great flavor.
    I'm sorry to say I was not impressed at all with it. One Salted caramel I won't be buying again.
    Well, to be honest I don't have many sea salt caramel ice creams/gelatos to compare to - I don't see them around too often - so it is very possible once I try one of the others I have been reading about on here I will say goodbye to it. But compared to other flavors of ice cream/gelato I am a big fan (again, at least for now).
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    My purchase for the night. I tried the Halo Top, and it was just ok. Maybe I shouldn't eat it right out of the container. It might be better once it starts to melt in a bowl. But for the calories, protein and fiber, I'm not complaining. I want to try the others, but that'll put me over, and I don't feel like doing cardio tonight.

79190c5a-9620-4cdc-b659-74266cb07cbf_zpsd0ce47ae.jpg