Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I haven't been around for ages. I'm still running consistently but have nothing to add here. The summer heat is hard on me (and others, I know....I'm not a special snowflake :smile: ).
    I'm very pleased at having made it through the summer consistently running at least 5K. I have had to walk a minute every now and again on the hotter hot days but I kept running until I'd covered 5K of running time/distance. No cutting corners on that. On the cooler hot days, I tried for 6K and often did that.

This past week has been incredible. I ran a 7K....the first since the spring! I was thrilled that I could still achieve that. Then today, I ran 5K in 37:34....a Personal Best!! I've broken the 38 minute wall a couple of times but only by a few seconds; not a half minute! Things bode well in my running world. A 35 minute (or less) 5K may be in the picture by the end of the winter!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Welcome back and congratulations on pushing your envelope. I hope your running goes well during the fall and you get to where you want to be at the end of winter
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I ran yesterday. 8.42 miles running plus warm-up and cool down. The first 5 miles were great. Then my legs and feet started complaining. I had no choice but to keep going because I was running an out and back course. I ended up walking a few times, but still managed an 11:19 pace. Looking back, I know my struggle yesterday had everything to do with the 40 miles I rode on Saturday. Must remember that I can't do long ride and long run back to back!

Anyway, that was my longest run to date!

Hope everyone else is enjoying weather as good as we had yesterday!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Ceci

Well done, extreme cross training, now if you did some swimming as well, you could start triathlons. :bigsmile:

Have fun and well done on persevering
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Ceci

Well done, extreme cross training, now if you did some swimming as well, you could start triathlons. :bigsmile:

Have fun and well done on persevering

I'm a terrible swimmer, but that is on my list of things I need to improve. I'll probably do a duathlon next year. There's a local one that is run 5k, ride 15k, run 5k.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    With 3 months before your official start of your HM Robbie, you could come close to doing that program twice if you wanted.
    As you don't want to over do it, take a week off with just some gentle runs Perhaps the 'pre training' amount they list. Head into the program and run through till around week 8-10 (depending on how things go) have another easy week or two and then start over with the focused deadline.

Great week for your running Patrya! Even if it's just a little I ran 5k today, or I ran 10m you can still update here. Don't need to be smashing records to keep us entertained ;)

Romy, good running on a full stomach! Not good idea, but well done for sticking to your program/plan.

I'm sure you'll rock your duathalon Ceci! Long Ride+Long Run.. well that's one way to cross train the accumulated fatigue into the legs if you're planning on chasing some big miles down the track!

Saturday I ran Tough Mudder... well didn't run too much actually. Course supposedly 20km. Best GPS route I've found of it was 15.5, but you don't expect certified for these things. Took me 4 hours or so, but that's because I joined in with a team and one of our guys got mega cramps about 6-10k in, so it was walk a bit, run a bit, wait for the cramps to subside. All credit to him for pushing through to the end. He skipped I think only 1 or 2 obstacles because of the cramps and gave everything else a good attempt. He even succeeded on Everest with some help from those on top of the ramp.
    It was a shorter course than last year, several obstacles seemed easier, some new ones that tested me. Overall quite good. The fact I forgot my gels, that we were out there for 4+ hours, and that I played human scissor lift for probably more people than last year has left me physically shattered. I think I hurt more than I did after my HM 2 weeks ago. Including TM I made just over 25miles for the week.

I still dragged my backside out of the house yesterday arvo for a recovery run. Managed 6k at about 6:15min/km pace. I was thinking about a longer run, but we had visitors coming over and I would have been in trouble if I hadn't made it back home before they got there. Still did the first 2k a bit fast for recovery... I can't wait till I get my GPS watch!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    With 3 months before your official start of your HM Robbie, you could come close to doing that program twice if you wanted.
    As you don't want to over do it, take a week off with just some gentle runs Perhaps the 'pre training' amount they list. Head into the program and run through till around week 8-10 (depending on how things go) have another easy week or two and then start over with the focused deadline.

Thanks, I had planned to ensure that I could do the "pre training" although I will mix in a sample of the quality sessions just to see what they are like until I go on vacation. On return I have about 7 weeks before the real start, but that is Christmas week, so I intend to start the programme a week earlier to do week 1 twice based on "commitments".

Saturday I ran Tough Mudder... well didn't run too much actually. Course supposedly 20km. Best GPS route I've found of it was 15.5, but you don't expect certified for these things. Took me 4 hours or so, but that's because I joined in with a team and one of our guys got mega cramps about 6-10k in, so it was walk a bit, run a bit, wait for the cramps to subside. All credit to him for pushing through to the end. He skipped I think only 1 or 2 obstacles because of the cramps and gave everything else a good attempt. He even succeeded on Everest with some help from those on top of the ramp.
    It was a shorter course than last year, several obstacles seemed easier, some new ones that tested me. Overall quite good. The fact I forgot my gels, that we were out there for 4+ hours, and that I played human scissor lift for probably more people than last year has left me physically shattered. I think I hurt more than I did after my HM 2 weeks ago. Including TM I made just over 25miles for the week.

I still dragged my backside out of the house yesterday arvo for a recovery run. Managed 6k at about 6:15min/km pace. I was thinking about a longer run, but we had visitors coming over and I would have been in trouble if I hadn't made it back home before they got there. Still did the first 2k a bit fast for recovery... I can't wait till I get my GPS watch!

Nice play on the TM and the recovery run and well managed with the "commitments". Hope your new toy comes soon, let us know how you get on with it.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing great with their running!

Well done Ceci on your longest run, especially after a long ride the day before. Like you I am a rubbish swimmer but I wouldn't mind doing a duathlon.

Congrats on running HM distance Robbie! You should feel confident for your HM next year now.

Congrats on your TM taeliesyn, I don't like water or heights so I have a great respect for people who do these!

And finally, tonight I ran my first sub-30 minute 5k! 29:37 to be exact. Thought I was going to throw up running up the last hill but I made it!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    And finally, tonight I ran my first sub-30 minute 5k! 29:37 to be exact. Thought I was going to throw up running up the last hill but I made it!

smiley_zps16b32071.gifwtg_zps51181b05.gifmexwave_zps5b2b2f32.gif
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Romy - well done on getting sub30, Woohoo, looks like I have another excuse for a celebration at the weekend.

Ceci - I apologise, I missed your post about duathlons. It is not a surprise that you have getting better at swimming on your list of things to do. You are amazing.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Romy - well done on getting sub30, Woohoo, looks like I have another excuse for a celebration at the weekend.

Ceci - I apologise, I missed your post about duathlons. It is not a surprise that you have getting better at swimming on your list of things to do. You are amazing.

thanx_zpsedbba312.gif
  • PaytraB
    Options

Amazing!! Well done, Romy!! This is a fantastic time. Congratulations!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Welcome back and congratulations on pushing your envelope. I hope your running goes well during the fall and you get to where you want to be at the end of winter

Thanks, Robbie! I am going to get to my goal....it's just a matter of when. :smile:
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

WooHooo! Way to go Romy!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    hi all again! miss you bunches :) still running 3 miles a day in the upwards of 80% humidity every day- can't WAIT for it to get cool enough for me to go a long way without water (I still really hate carrying water) - next race will probably be a 10K on Dec 5th (savannah bridge run) - still haven't made up my mind about the half marathon in Nov (Rock and roll) the one Tim and his wife are doing (they are doing the full I think!)?
  • timeasterday
    Options
    hi all again! miss you bunches :) still running 3 miles a day in the upwards of 80% humidity every day- can't WAIT for it to get cool enough for me to go a long way without water (I still really hate carrying water) - next race will probably be a 10K on Dec 5th (savannah bridge run) - still haven't made up my mind about the half marathon in Nov (Rock and roll) the one Tim and his wife are doing (they are doing the full I think!)?

Yep, we are doing the full. Going to have a bunch of people from our local running group down there so it should be a good time.

I am also looking forward to cooler weather. We have a half marathon up in the Smoky Mountains this Saturday and race morning is forecast to be 57°. I can't wait for that!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Tim good luck for the weekend
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Tim good luck for the weekend

Thanks Robbie! I'll be taking it a little slowly so I don't aggravate my achilles.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Short dreadmill run on Wednesday because of thunderstorms. I hate running on a treadmill, but I just got new running shoes and HAD to try them out!

Yesterday was a bike day- 34 miles (21 on my own and 13 with my girls' group). During the group ride, we went up a hill that I really struggled with the last time I rode it. Yesterday it wasn't so bad!

Hoping I will get to try the new running shoes outside today!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Short dreadmill run on Wednesday because of thunderstorms. I hate running on a treadmill, but I just got new running shoes and HAD to try them out!

Yesterday was a bike day- 34 miles (21 on my own and 13 with my girls' group). During the group ride, we went up a hill that I really struggled with the last time I rode it. Yesterday it wasn't so bad!

Hoping I will get to try the new running shoes outside today!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Ladies and shoes :laugh:

Like you, I do not like the dreadmill, it's not so much the environment but the fact I can never get the speed right, I do not run at a continuous pace , it varies largely I think do to distractions.

Well done on tackling the hill, it is always good to find that you no longer struggle with activities that have previously taxed you. Hope you get to try the shoes outside, enjoy your weekend.